So, the new MapTool campaign is started. I've put a lot of work into learning MapTool, and, hopefully, it's showing. The more my Maptool skills improve, the more my natural DMing skills will make their presence felt.
Allow me to do a run-down of the last session:
- MapTool finally works! The fact-finding mission that was the first session was so helpful to make this happen.
- So far, we've got good players. Thanks to everyone that played, and tolerated my somewhat disorganized implementation. The parts of the game I was most afraid of went the most smoothly, and theat's very good.
- Interest seems to be trending upward. Good news is, rumors of my DM-ing styel are not getting out. Just kidding. While we'd all like to have the reputation that Chris Perkins has, some of us try to find ways to muddle through.
- Organization. I'll admit it. My attention span is atrocious. Sometimes, thinking hard makes me easily distractable. I'll get over it, I hope. (Who am I kidding? If we had good attention spans, we wouldn't have such vivid fantasy lives. Am I right?)
- My computer is not optimal to run a server. This is why I'm trying to do as much off the compy as I can. The more memory usage I can free up, the smoother the game.
- The players are good. I'm not a mean DM. I think I need to get meaner. The players were mopping the floor with those Bullywugs, and I thought I was playing them pretty tough. Either I have to put out tougher challenges, or the monsters have to get smarter (meaning me.)
- Nentir Vale. I really want to use Maptool to map out every inch of the Nentir Vale. The only probelm is, the Nentir Vale is over 150 miles across! I think it will have to stay a pipe dream, but I can probably map out decent enough chunks that I can use as encounter areas. I at least want to map out Fallcrest. That's very do-able.
- The Chaos Scar. I'm not 100% where exactly I'm going to shoe-horn in the actual valley, but I'm confident that'll make itself apparent. I was thinking about east of the Vale, but the journey between there and Fallcrest may be a touch long. A little hand-waving in the meantime fixes all.
More to come, Deteails, etc.