River Crossing the river costs 2 move per square swimming or 3 move walking (the bottom counts as difficult terrain). To swim you need an Athletics check vs DC 15 and you cannot have anything in hand. The current slides anyone, swimming or walking, 1 sq east per movement action (slides will also keep you in the river). If you are walking, you can resist this slide with a DC 12 Strength check.
Underwater In normal conditions, you can hold your breath for three minutes (30 rounds) before you need to make a DC 20 Endurance check, so unless one of the following occurs, we'll assume you hold your breath. If, however, you take damage (not THP but real HP lost), or fail an Athletics or Strength check, you need to immediately make an check Endurance vs DC 20 or lose a healing surge swallowing water (except for Rune, of course).
The Bridge Squares P9 through P12, O12 and Q10 make the log bridge. It's a combination of rocks and the logs jammed into them. The water flows over in some places but mostly under. A swimmer upstream of the bridge can catch himself on it without difficulty, which puts you in the appropriate bridge square, prone, and ends the movement action. If you are thinking about jumping, the number of squares you can long jump is: (athletics check / 10) + 1, dropping all fractions. With a running start, /5 instead. You must have movement points to complete all squares of jumping movement, but you can do a jumping double-move. Walking on the bridge has unknown difficulties.
The Shallows Upstream of the island is an area of silt and weeds that is shallow. You don't swim here, but it is difficult (2 per sq) terrain.
Big Trees They are leafed out, but using branches obscures less of the map. The center square of the tree is its trunk, which is blocking terrain with soft corners. You could climb them, DC 20 in the rain. Big tree trunks are at: R3, I5, P16, L/M24, C28
Small trees Difficult terrain. If you are standing in a small tree square, you have cover. If your line of sight passes through small trees (other than the target or shooter squares), the target has concealment.
Bushes Difficult terrain. If you are small or prone and in a bush square, you have concealment.
Big stones Blocking terrain with soft corners.
Little stones These are clusters of smaller totems on the island. They are difficult terrain.
Encounter Log: The Joining Shrine (part 1!) Round 1Show
1.15.1 William: Retrieves his rope and throws it to Rune (rope lands in Q4), charges the shadow beast. At square P9, the hazard attacks, hits William and dumps him in the river. Takedown strike is not expended. 1.14.1 Sb : Walks to R7 Haunting Spirits vs Tann hits, does 4 HP psychic damage and Tann grants CA until 2.14.2 1.14.2 Br : moves to M14 (small tree sq.), has cover. Twin strike vs Tann - missed. 1.5.1 Lisker: moves to N5 and misses shadow beast with vampiric embrace, concealment until 2.5.2 1.5.2 Tann: assumes the Form of Winter's Herald (+1 AC, resist cold 5, all terrain in Cbst 2 is difficult for enemies) hits the shadow beast with the Winter's Herald attack for 18, causing it to disperse (off map) jumps over the river to N12 Hits Brook with Thorn Whip for 7 and pulls him to N13 Marks Brook with nature's wrath 1.5.3 Rune: Ties rope on to himself and throws the other end to William successfully. 1.5.4 Thorn: Move to R9. Serpent's Arrow misses Brook.
2.15.1 William: sheathes sword and swims to O12. Grab vs Brook fails. 2.14.1 Sb reforms in L6 2.14.2 Br: quickdraws longspear, misses Tann with Parting Strike, shifts to M16 2.5.1 Thorn: lights sunrod, moves to P7, guardian harrier hits shadow beast for 10 damage (resisted) 2.5.2 Tann: Move to M15, weight of earth hits Brook for 11 HP and slowed until 3.5.2, marked. 2.5.3 Lisker: Eldritch strike vs shadow beast missed. 2.5.4 Rune: secures the rope.
3.15.1 William: walks to N17, hits with Grappling Strike for 12 damage, Brook is grabbed. 3.14.1 Shadow Beast: misses Lisker. 3.14.2 Brook: escape from grab fails, designate William as his quarry, attack William (-2 for mark), correction - misses, triggers Warden's Fury attack from Tann (misses) 3.5.1 Tann: moves to L15, triggers OA from Brook, Brook hits for 7 HP, then Tann crits Brook for 18, slowed until 4.5.1 3.4.1 Lisker: misses shadow beast 3.4.2 Rune: jumps the river, uses Rune of Mending to heal NPC, gives +1 to all defenses for all but Lisker. 3.4.3 Thorn: hits shadow beast with biting swarm, hits for 5 (resisted), -2 to attacks until 4.4.3
4.15.1 William: Slash and Pummel vs Brook misses, grab ends. 4.14.1 Shadow Beast: hits Lisker for 12 HP. 4.14.2 Brook: attacks William (provokes Nature's Fury from Tann), misses Tann hits with Nature's Fury for 11 4.4.1 Tann hits Brook for 17 damage with Weight of Earth, Marks Brook and Shaman 4.4.2 Lisker misses Shadow Beast 4.4.3 Rune ties off the rope, then moves to O16. Spends AP and hits Brook with Flames of Purity for 8 fire damage, Tann and William regain 3 HP, activates Rune of Protection. 4.4.4 Thorn: moves to K5, he and Lisker now flank the Shadow Beast, uses Aid Another to grant Lisker +2 to next attack vs. the Sb.
To simplify notation (I've been bamboozling myself with my round.initiative.priority format), I'm going to break up the round into chunks of creatures with the same initiative. So, since the first two hippogriffs got initiative over 17, they act together in group 1. William and Tann act in group 2, in post order, and so on.
Terrain: This is a partially flying battle. Positions are given as usual, with the addition of an h#, indicating how high the creature is. Medium creatures stand h1 high, and can measure reach from there (so a reach 2 weapon can hit creatures at h3, for example). Small and prone creatures are at h0.
Dead Trees (centered J3, R21, K23 and E26)
Trunk: (center square) grants cover unless the target is flanked.
Branches (the trunk and all adjacent squares, h1 to h5), difficult terrain for flying, but do not affect ground movement.
Rocks (grey and brown shaded squares)
Grey: h1, difficult terrain for ground movement. Brown: h2, difficult terrain for ground movement. There is space under brown squares G12, J12, F13 and H13 to hide beneath the rocks, but Medium creatures must squeeze to enter. Large creatures cannot enter at all.
1. Hippogriff 1. Enter S29h4. Flyby attack on Rune, ending h4. Miss. 1. Hippogriff 2. Enter S29h4. Flyby attack on Thorn, ending h4. Miss. 2. William. moves to M25 and readies Grappling Strike for 'griff enters 5ft range. if triggered: Grappling Srike - 16 vs AC, 8 damage and grabbed eont 2. Tann. Shifts to P24. Readies Thorn Strike for 'griff enters 10 ft range. if triggered: Thorn Strike - 20 vs AC, 8 damage and pulled 1 sq. 3. Hippogriff 3. Enter S29h4. Flyby attack on Tann, ending h5. Hits for 11 hp. triggers Thorn Strike, which hits for 8 damage, pulls 'griff but movement continues. 3. Hippogriff 4. Enter S29h4. Flyby attack on William, ending h4. Hits for 10 hp. triggers Grappling Strike, which misses 4. Thorn. Swarming Bats hits g2 and g4, doing 11 HP, slides g2 to K25/L26 h3, g4 to M27/N28 h4, g3 to 026/P27 h3. moves zone to M25 h3. action point: Tidal Shot hits g2 for 8, g4 for 6, g3 for 6 and slides:g2 to K25/L26 h2, g4 to M26/N27 h3, g3 to O25/P26 h2. 4. Lisker. Curses g3, misses g3. 4. Rune. Word of Diminishment vs g3. Crit does 11 HP. Rune of Destruction activated: Until EonT, target is vulnerable 2 to all damage.
1. Hippogriff 1. move - fly around the tree. flyby attack on Thorn, ending h5, hits for 15 HP 1. Hippogriff 2. flyby attack on William, hits for 15 HP triggers Opp. Attack by Thorn (w/ CA) - hits for 4 HP. flys up and away from fighting, ending h6. 2. William. Expends 1 healing infusion to heal 6 HP, uses 2nd wind to heal 6 HP, +2 to AllDefs until round3.2. Switches to bow. Spends AP. Misses g3. 2. Tann. Shifts to O24, marks g3 with Nature's Wrath, misses with weight of earth. 3. Hippogriff 3. Flyby attack on Tann - missed, ending h6 triggers AoO from Rune (w/ CA) - missed. 3. Hippogriff 4. Flyby attack on William - missed, ending h6. 4. Thorn. Second Wind to heal 6 HP, +2 to AllDefs until round 3.4, raises bats zone to M25h5. 4. Lisker. Misses G3. 4. Rune. Walk to J25, readies Word of Shielding for 'griff enters 1sq range. if hit, change to Protection runestate.
0. Rune (moved with readied action) 1. Hippogriff 1. Move - swings around, enters G26/I27h2 - triggers Rune's attack, Rune's Word of Shielding hits for 7HP and he gains 3 THP, enters Protection runestate then flyby attack on Rune, ends up at D22/E23 h6, hits for 8 net HP. 1. Hippogriff 2. move - swings around, ends N21/O22, h2. flyby attack on Lisker, ends R26/S27 h4. misses 2. William. Switches to sword, readies for 1st 'griff entering striking range and in bat cloud : (charging takedown attack 14 vs. Fort, 5 damage plus if hits) 2. Tann. Shifts to N25 and readies for 1st 'griff within 1 sq. (weight of earth, 13 vs AC) 3. g3. moves to turn and avoid bats, ends Q24/R25 h2. Flyby attack on Lisker, miss, ends N18/O19 h5. 3. g4. moves to turn, ends H23/I24 h2. Flyby attack on Rune, hits for 8, ends G22/H23 h5. 4. Lisker. Move to L23, Eldritch blast vs. g3 misses. 4. Thorn. sustains the zone, moves to N24, hits g3 with grappling spirits for 7 HP and target slowed until round 4.4
0. Rune. Uses warforged resolved to gain 3 HP and 3 THP. Walks to N25. Readies: Flames of Purity trigger:any 'griff attacking within ClBlast3. 1. g1. Moves to K21/L22 h2, flyby on Lisker, triggers Rune flyby attack misses. ends at N17/018 h5 1. g2. Moves to Q23/R24 h2. Flyby attack on Tann. Triggers weight of earth (miss). flyby hits for 11 (-2), ends L18/M19 h5 2. William. Switches the bow, hits g3 with aggravating force, 13 damage and grants +2 to next attack on g3. 3. g3. slowed, loses altitude to Q27/R28 h3. 3. g4. moves , flyby on Lisker, ends O20/P21 h5, hits for 13 damage. 4. Lisker. Moves to L24, hits g3 for 14. 4, Thorn. Moves to L25, hits g3 with grappling spirits.
0. Rune. Rune of Mending on Tann, heals surge. Readies Word of Shielding. Moves to M24. 0. Tann. draws and throws a javelin, hitting g3 for 8 damage, g3 dies. 1. g1. Flies around the trees to wait above g3 1. g2. Flies around the trees to wait above g3. 2. William. Readies aggravating force vs. first 'griff to attack. 3. g4. Wheels about and makes a diving overrun attack on Tann. Hits Tann for 8 HP and knocked prone. triggers Rune's Word of Shielding (miss) triggers aggravating force (miss) 4. Thorn. Moves the swarming bats to center N23, Readies Grappling Spirits for an attack 4. Lisker. Delays.
0. Tann. Stands, shifts to N23. 1. g2 lands in O27/P28 and readies an attack. 1. g3 lands in R25/S25 and readies an attack. 2. Rune moves to N22, readies a charge. 2. William and Lisker follow the retreat. COMBAT ENDS.
Brown Rubble: The ruined tower is a high pile of large stones. You cannot charge or run through it and movement costs 3/sq.
Columns (upright): Blocking obstacles with soft corners
Columns (fallen): Obstacles with soft corners. You can attempt to jump over a fallen column (need a high jump of 4 ft, so an Athletics check of 20 with a running start). Fallen columns provide cover if the attack's line of effect goes through the square.
Dais: to get on this 5-ft high raised area is a short climb with a DC of 5. You need at least one free hand to climb up, and it costs 2/sq. of movement. For no movement cost, you could try to jump up, Athletics DC 25 with a running start. Getting off is no problem.
Entryways: dark gray lined in black, these are holes in the wall. Grey rubble (with flecks of brown): difficult terrain, costs 2 per square.
Outside: If you want to move outside the hall (white spaces to the south), assume it's difficult terrain (2/sq.) with the rubble and going around unmapped obstacles.
Lvl 4 item, 840 gp, attached component in the Neck Slot Requirement: You must have the living construct racial trait to use this item. Enhancement: +1 to Fort, Ref and Will. Power: Daily (Imd Rxn) Trigger: You are hit by a fire, force, lightning, psychic, radiant or thunder attack. Effect: You gain resist 5 to one of the triggering damage types until the end of the encounter.
These are, technically, stolen goods. If you don't return them to the Cannith agents coming to get Lyta, you might have some explaining to do. There is also the reward (180 gp) offered for their return. Nonetheless, they are yours now: 80 gp of alchemical reagents (ritual components) Potion of Healing: Lvl 5 consumable (50 gp). Minor Action: Drink and spend 1 HS. Instead of the normal HP regained, instead regain 10 HP. Unreadable Ink: Lvl 5 consumable (50 gp). Property: When used, the ink is invisible to everyone but its intended recipient. The message's recicpient need not be able to read the language (or even be literate) to understand the message as soon as he/she touches the material inscribed. Elixir of Aptitude: Lvl 5 consumable (50 gp). Minor Action: Drink and gain a +1 power bonus to checks using one skill of your choice. The bonus lasts 1 hour. Everburning Torch: Gear. 50 GP. Weight 1 lb. This torch never stops burning. It casts bright light to a radius of 5 sq but sheds no heat, so you can stow it in a bag or a pouch. You can't set fire to anything with it.
ts : Stands, charges Lisker, hits for 7 HP and marks him. Thorn : shifts to C4, Grappling Spirits vs s2 misses. Tann: walk to B4, Weight of Earth misses S2, Nature's Wrath to mark s2 Rune: shift to G3, Word of Diminishment misses ts. s1: stand up, charge William ending D5, hits for 6 HP. Konial: minor - shape shift to giant rat form, shift to E3, bite William, misses. Lisker: Shadow Step to D3, Vampiric Embrace misses Konial. William: Takedown Attack on S1, hits for 7 HP, shift to F3 s2: stand up, misses Tann.
ts: double attack vs William (hit, 2 HP and marked) and Rune (missed) Tann: hits s2 for 9 HP and slowed until end of Tann's rd 3, marks s2 until end of Tann's rd 3. Thorn: Moves to B7, Tidal Spirit Shot hits s1 for 3 HP and slides to F4 Rune: Shifts to H4, Flames of Purity hits TS for 5, s1 for 5, misses K. William gains: +3 powerB to damage until end of Rune's rd 3. s1: stand up, walks to F4 K: shifts to E2, bites William (flanking, has CA) Lisker: shifts to E3, Eldritch Strike vs Konial hits for 12 HP. William: shift to E4, uses healing infusion for +6 HP, Slash and Pummel hits ts for 7 HP, fails save vs damage. s2: shifts to B3, Drive Back vs Tann misses.
ts vs Rune: MBA vs Rune misses. Thorn: moves to B7, Possessing spirits hits (ts) for 8 HP, (ts) hits (s1) for 10 HP, both dazed until EoThorn's rd 4. (s1) bloodied Tann: shifts to C3, weight of earth vs (s2) missed, mark (s2) Rune: shifts to G3, misses s1, Rune of Mending on William heals 6, grants all PCs +2 damage until EoRune's rd. 4. s1: MBA hits William for 6 HP, William bloodied. Konial: regenerates 5 HP, missed Lisker, shifts shape to hybrid, picks up dagger. William: takes 5 HP ongoing. hits and kills s1, moves to A6. s2: MBA vs Tann missed.
ts: MBA vs Rune misses. Rune: shift to H4, Word of Shielding misses ts. Religion check 17 for undead. The ts has less than 3/4 of is starting HP left. Tann: misses s2, marks s2. Thorn: moves to D7, Biting swarm vs ts misses, inevitable shot crits Konial for 18 damage, -2 to attacks until Eo Thorn's round 5. Konial: regenerates 5 HP, dagger attack vs Lisker crits for 12 HP damage. Lisker: Eldritch strike hits Konial for 13 HP. William: move to E6, drow sword, draw bow. aggravating force hits Konial for 11 HP (non-lethal). Next PC to attack Konial before Eo William's rd 5 gets a +2 to the attack roll. s2: MBA vs Tann hits for 4 HP.
ts: MBA vs Rune hits for 10 HP and marked. Rune: Rune of Mending on Lisker heals 7 HP, all PCs do +2 damage until EoRune's 6. Word of Shielding hits (ts) for 14 HP and next time (ts) hits or misses a PC, it takes 3 damage (unless attacking a marker) Tann: Misses and marks s2. Thorn: Biting Swarm hits ts for 8 damage, -2 to attack rolls until EoThorn's 6. Konial: regenerates 5 HP. William: Aggravating force hits ts for 9 hp, killing it. Lisker: Coup de Grace on Konial, critical does 22 HP damage (10 + 4 + 6 from curse +2 from Rune) s2: MBA vs Tann misses.