Fresh ideas for mechanics, keyword abilities, and potential card designs; several intended to further open up design space - for use and adaptation by GDS2 (Great Designer Search 2) competitors.
For other Beyond Malachi
ideas see also:See also: Manere Tiers
Manere Tiers Mechanics
- Some spirits are able to take a Host by possessing that person/creature after injuring them; Hosts can be affected by the possession in some cases, and in other cases the Spirits become stronger.
- Possess (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, this creature possesses that player and that player becomes this creature's Host).
- Example: Possess. At the beginning of this creature's Host's upkeep, that player loses 2 life.
- Rules: The player affected by possess is the 'Host'. The creature is 'possessing a player' as long as it has a Host. A creature can only have one Host. If a creature with possess that already has a Host deals combat damage to another player, the first player stops being Host to this creature, and the newly damaged player becomes this creature's Host. All creatures with Possess have a second ability which only takes effect when/if the creature has a Host.
- See Possess for example cards.
- For invading castles then attacking relentlessly from within.
- Breach (whenever this creature deals damage to an opponent it becomes unblockable and must attack if able until the end of your next turn)
- Zombie hands claw out of the earth, grasping a terrified foe and dragging them to a cold grave. The final ability on various black sorceries and instants.
- Clutch (the next time you cast a black spell this turn, target creature gets -X/-X where X is that spells converted mana cost)
- Poster child example: B Instant You lose 1 life. Clutch. [ie. by itself is does nothing but cause you grief, but a 6 mana when it's going to be followed by a Sengir Vampire, it is B for -5/-5 to a target creature]
- Normal example: 2B Sorcery Target opponent discards a card. Clutch.
- See Clutch for example cards.
- Manerimal is supported by rocky pillars that are filled with dwarven and goblin tunnels, and deeper down, below the surface tier, darker things tunnel too.
- Tunneling - [cost] (Whenever this creature attacks, you may pay [cost], if you do this creature cannot be blocked unless the defending player pays for each creature that would block it).
- Gravity is unstable on the continent of Manere Tiers, with some areas having stronger gravity, some having lighter gravity, and in other areas gravity is completely reversed. This does strange things to 'flying', and possibly to lands too.
- Not actually a keyworded ability, this would be a variety of cards that interact with flying, and potentially also some cards that interact with lands.
- Examples might include ": target creature gains or loses flying until the end of turn", "Whenever this creature attacks, you may have it gain flying until end of turn", ": target creature loses flying until end of turn, then if a creature lost flying this way, this creature gains flying until end of turn", "cannot be blocked by creatures with flying", etc.
- On Manerimal the Elves, Humans, Aven, Kithkin, and Dwarves, happily share the upper tier and enjoy a peaceful trade relationship.
Flare - [mana symbol]
- Trade (As you cast this spell/use this ability you may tap an untapped Kithkin or Aven you control, if you do copy this spell/ability. You may choose new targets for the copy).
- This ability would be used, for example, on a Human (ie. It is intended for cross-race use)
- See Trade for example cards.
- The Manere Tiers is a unique island with a combination of caverns, the tiered landscape, and strange gravity wells causing crossover flares of mana.
- Flare - [mana symbol] (Reveal the top card of your library, add [mana symbol] to your mana pool for each [mana symbol] symbol in that card's mana cost).
- It is a secondary effect on sorceries and instants.
- Original version only added white mana, and was only to be used on white and its ally coloured cards.
- New version can be used by any colour - but is now intended only for cross-colour use (ie. a blue spell with Flare could have Flare , Flare , etc, but would not have Flare ).
- It could potentially be added to permanents to, as a comes into play effect.
- See Flare for example cards.
Potential Keyword Mechanics
- Some people are born with great powers that they are not normally able to unlock. Most powers are unlocked when under extreme duress / in serious danger. In all cases, the one with the power is seen to have 'awakened'.
- Awaken - X (Whenever X, put a charge (?) counter on this creature). As long as this creature has a charge counter it gets Y.
- Example: Awaken - cast a spell with converted mana cost 7 or greater (whenever you cast a spell with converted mana cost 7 or greater, put a charge counter on this creature). As long as this creature has a charge counter it gets "R,T: deal 4 damage to target creature and 2 damage to you".
- See Awaken for example cards.
- Some green creatures, such as Wurms, have hard plating that absorbs damage (interestingly this mechanic was originally designed identically, other than its name, to 'absorb' - but those shifty slivers pinched it).
- Plating (If this creature would be dealt damage, it is dealt half that much damage, rounded down, instead).
- White and/or red battle experienced creatures (eg. soldiers, knights, warriors) can turn opposing creatures abilities against them.
- Reversal (Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, that creature loses all abilities until end of turn and this creature gains each ability lost this way until the end of turn).
- As an offset to their lack in bulk (and therefore strength), some creatures are quick and nimble enough to evade weightier enemies.
- Dexterity (This creature cannot be blocked by creatures with toughness greater than this creature's power).
- Good sorcerers consciously memorise spells. Mad sorcerers consciously memorise some, but do their best as their memory is destroyed (madness). Great sorcerers consciously memorise some spells, but pull others right out of their subconscious.
- Revelation X (Whenever this card is revealed from your library or your hand you may cast this card, if you do, pay X instead of its casting cost).
- Example: Revelation 1U (Whenever this card is revealed from your library or your hand you may cast this card, if you do, pay 1U instead of its casting cost).
- Notes: This mechanic inspired by Ronfar's Memetic mechanic.
- See Revelation for example cards.
/Empowered/Immunity - More mana equals more power! Some spells and creatures of great power are immune to the powers of weaker spells.
- Elite (This spell cannot be countered by spells or abilities with lesser converted mana cost; this permanent cannot be target by or dealt damage by spells or abilities with lesser converted mana cost).
- See Elite for example cards.
- Be careful when casting these powerful sorceries... you never know what might jump through from the other side as you do.
- Portal (As you play this spell each player reveals the top card of their library. If all cards revealed this way are permanent cards, they are each put onto the battlefield under their owner's control).
/Transport - Some great green beasts, and occasionally red ones, can be ridden into combat. Their rider gets to add to their power, but is protected by the mounts toughened body.
- Mount (Whenever this creature attacks, you may tap an untapped creature you control that isn't attacking. If you do, this creature gains power equal to the tapped creatures power).
- Note: Mounts generally have toughness higher than their power, and most have trample.
- See Mount for example cards.
- Some permanents have a shroud-like effect that doesn't prevent them from being affected, but does reflect back a double of any effect.
- Reflect (Whenever this permanent becomes the target of a spell or effect, copy that spell or effect. Choose new targets for that copy).
- Note: The reflection is mandatory, as is the choice of new targets - so the ability is actually harmful if you are the only one with legally targetable permanents.
- See Reflect for example cards.
Other Mechanics and Ideas for Thought
: "If any card was put into your hand from the battlefield this turn, this card costs 2 less to cast and you may play it as though it had flash".Intensify
= Less than 4 copies bonus.
Red burn spell: "When you cast this card, target opponent may search your library for any number of copies of this card and reveal them. For each copy revealed this way, this card deals 1 less damage". Black creature spell: "When you cast this card, target opponent may search your library for any number of copies of this card and reveal them. For each copy revealed this way, this creature comes into play with a -1/-1 counter".
Low casting cost hate
- Notes: Also a good political card in multi-player, and a card that can be played in multiples but which gets better as the game goes on.
- See Intensify for example cards.
: Destroy/counter/deal X damage to target creature/artifact/enchantment/non-creature permanent/etc, with casting cost X or less.
Grave-Digger-supercharging static ability
: "Whenever a creature card would be put into your hand from your graveyard, you may put that creature onto the battlefield instead."
Link to Manere Tiers: Manere Tiers