Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 2:53 AM
- We’ve seen the promo art for Gatecrash (the second R2R set), and it shows Gideon fighting alongside Razia. Gideon’s got a Boros Signet on his sash: going to assume we’re getting a guild-mana Gideon.
- Also going to assume this is Zendikar Part 2. The plot in RoE left off with Gideon planeswalking away from Zendikar to gather reinforcements to fight the Eldrazi. Iirc, he planeswalked to Ravnica. (Haven’t read the books, so I’m going on what I’ve read online.)
- Going out on a limb here, but I think Gatecrash is probably time-wise when Gideon arrives in Ravnica. The set name could be referring to shutting off the dimensional rift through which he planeswalked, as quickly as possible. (Not sure on this one, but I distinctly recall Wizards describing the act of planeswalking as walking through portals.) I’m actually kind of hoping an Eldrazi or two followed him, just so he can demonstrate for the people of Ravnica what needs to get eradicated lest the threat bleed through the multiverse.
- If an Eldrazi or two followed Gideon, I’m pretty sure the people of Ravnica are at the very least going to distrust and hate him for it. I doubt many if any will want to ally with him against the threat, and will just flat-out blame him altogether.
- The sets are broken up five guilds each in R2R and Gatecrash, and the third set is supposed to include all ten of them. Either the Eldrazi followed Gideon and now everyone’s forced to set aside petty guild differences to work together against an immediate threat, or he has somehow managed to rally them all together to go fight in Zendikar with him. Maybe he reaches a new level of Spark that gives him commanding charisma.
- I really have no major speculation on the guilds’ political nonsense. I just know it’s going to be opening up with Jarad getting pissy over Niv-Mizzet being all up in his turf doing “innocent research.” Maybe we’ll get to hear more about it in September when the duel deck comes out.
- …I want more Eldrazi.