Races in Middle Earth
Some 4E races are perfect for Middle Earth, some can be re-purposed, and some don't fit well at all.
Essential Middle Earth Races
- Dwarf - To make 4E dwarves into Middle Earth dwarves, just give the ladies beards. Examples: Gimli, Gloin
- Eladrin - This race corresponds best to the Eldar races of elves. Teleporting and feywild references would need to be re-flavored. Examples: Galadriel
- Elf - This race corresponds best to the Wood Elves of Middle Earth. Examples: Legolas
- Half-Elf - This race works as either Dunedain or actual half-elves. Examples: Aragorn, Elrond
- Halfling - Hobbit. Examples: Bilbo, Samwise
- Human - Race of man. Examples: Boromir
- Deva - Maiar, but their appearance would be quite human (unlike the deva illustrations with the weird coloring). The DM may not allow the creation of an original Maiar character. Examples: Gandalf, Saruman
Possible Races for Creative Players
- Tiefling - For a human twisted by Sauron like the Mouth of Sauron.
- Gnome - Perhaps for another race of Hobbits, maybe the Fallohides or for Gollum.
- Half-Orc - Works for Uruk, but players would need a convincing reason to play as this sinister race.
- Drow - With liberal re-flavoring, could serve as one of the many races of elves.
- Goblin - If someone wants to be a goblin for some reason, it's possible.
- Orc - If someone wants to be an orc for some reason, it's possible.
- Revenant - Could work as a wraith, though these are always depicted as evil in Tolkien's works. Could also work as Gollum in combination with Halfling or Gnome.
Races that Don't Fit
- Monstrous races