Harrowdale is one of the oldest dales. It lies east from Cormanthor, on the coast of the Dragon Reach.
Only a few villages dot its landscape. New Velar - formerly known as Harrowdale - is the largest town and the dale's only port. Velarsburgh, to the north, is the only other town of significance.
The largest woods in the dale - other than Cormanthor - is the Velarwood. It is mostly avoided - rumors suggest werecreatures prowl there, and some say the woods are haunted.
Definitely haunted are the Cold Fields, south of New Velar. In these cold moors undead are frequently spotted - the remains of old war parties who clashed there ages ago. Other and greater monsters also roam these lands - rumors of creatures akin to purple worms circulate, as well as drow raiding parties, occasionally surfacing from treasure hunts in the fields' underdark.
Locations in New Velar
- Eruthen's Tower
- The Fall of Stars
- The Selkirk Trading House (former House of Mystra)
Notable People of New Velar
- Yellira Am'benuinyl
- Lin-Woh Chiang
- Kira Nenthyn (Burgher of New Velar)
- Dayan Nenthyn
- Lucus Rivenstave (Burgher of New Velar)
- Aron Selkirk
- Harlen Treskeden (Burgher of New Velar)
- Jonster Yate (Burgher of New Velar)
- Arial Xiloscient (Ambassador of Myth Drannor)