As a striker, it is of interest to deal as much damage as possible. Secondary status effects are also good, but not of primary importance.
The following are ideas and theories on how to squeeze out as much damage as possible or optimize the overall utility of the sorcerer:
- Crit & Hit - This approach attempts to get a high critical hit rate, by either wielding a jagged dagger (10% crit) or going Daggermaster paragon path (15%). By using multitarget effects, your chances of getting a critical hit are raised significantly more than most other classes. Then, you use a mechanism that lets you do something additional or special upon getting a critical hit. Right now, these are:
- Two Weapon Opening feat - When you crit with an at-will, you get a free 'offhand melee basic attack' vs. THAT foe. You either take the melee swing, or you use Sorcerer Channeling or Reaper's Touch feats to turn one of your at-wills into a melee basic attack(MBE) that you can cast through your offhand implement(another dagger you hold offhand).
- Two Fisted Shooter - When you crit, you can take a free hand-crossbow shot. Generally not a great approach, but a Drow can get Drow Weapon Training which allows no Attack of Opp, so you can always shoot the xbow even in melee.
- Reckless Spellcasting - An epic feat that lets you make a free at-will attack when you crit with an at-will. Best with Blazing starfall (preferably with increased size)
- Heavy Crit - Another daggermaster approach, you use a Vicious or Bloodiron dagger to inflict massive damage on a crit, which happens often. There are some other on-crit effects that you can abuse as well.
- Damage Adjacent Foes - Wild Spellfury lets you do your DEX mod damage to all adjacent when you hit with an at-will. So the idea is to get close to multiple foes (or the focus-fire target), and then use either burning spray, OR Chaos Bolt (channeled to melee) and hope it bounces around. A cosmic mage deals damage automatically to surrounding foes. There are also powers such as Flame Spiral that damage nearby foes. All of these can be used in combination with other roles to deliver a solid amount of automatic damage.
- Pusher - A dragonborn with Draconic Arrogance feat adds his STR-mod damage when he knocks-down or pushes a foe. So, use lots of push or knockdown powers (including your at-will dragonfrost!) and add a nice amount of free damage.
- Freeze Cheeze - Take wintertouched/lasting frost to add AB and damage to cold-attacks. As a dragon sorc, take Cold as your element to penetrate resistance. Take lots of cold powers. Commonly mixed with Pusher above.
- Multiclass Abuse - There are some ridiculous powers you can power-swap and abuse. For example, the ranger level 5 daily stance lets you make a 'ranged basic attack', (either dragonfrost or acid orb!) against ANYTHING that moves within 5 squares of you! Decent initiative roll + This = Win! There's a few other crazy powers, most of which abuse Reaper's Touch again. The Half-Elf is particularly good, since they can Paragon Multiclass and with Versatile Multiclass feat, they can cherry pick whatever powers they want!
- Focus-Fire - You act like a traditional striker and ensure you hit your Focus target. Take single target powers and use. ALSO, take MULTI-target powers(there are a few) to focus your target and also deal damage elsewhere. Party-friendly burst/blast effects are also very usable. The idea is to keep hitting the focus target, BUT with the ability to also do some decent damage to other foes. A great epic tactic is Sorcerous Flux to hit multiple targets and ensure the highest roll always goes towards the Focus.
- Close AoE Spammer - You want to do a LOT of damage. Big numbers for the win! You will focus-fire some, but mostly you want to get into position to use big close Blasts and close bursts to target as many foes (and as few allies) as possible. War wizardry and Arcane Reach are great to help maximize the overall effect.
- Bloodied Blaster - This involves a Dragonborn sorcerer that optimizes his bloodied bonuses with the Inner Dragon path. He gets an ONGOING +2 attack bonus, +2 damage, +2 AC in that state with these various features. This is extremely powerful. The obvious downside is that you have to play in melee range with 1/2 HPs or less! You really need a healer to pull this off.
- AoE Ranged Spammer - Similar to 8 above, except uses ranged bursts similar to a wizard. This type will almost always be wild/storm, as they can take advantage of their high initiative to hit multiple foes clumped together before they can even move. Devastating with slow/immobilize type effects vs melee-only foes. Note that Storm-sorcs can exclude the origin from several of their bursts which helps this strategy further.
- Off-Tank - The plan is to use effects that damage foes that swing at you and utilities to mitigate damage. The idea is to help your defenders by taking some of the attacks that would normally go their way, as well as clogging up melee to protect your wizard/ranged strikers, or just to help with flanking. Dragon Guardian and MC:pally are valuable for their marking ability.
- Melee Reaper's Touch Abuser - The reapers touch feat lets you use an Acid Orb or Dragonfrost as a melee basic attack. You can take advantage of this in a variety of ways. First, you can Charge as a standard action which lets you move and then use your MBA with a +1 AB bonus. There are several items/powers/feats that let you optimize charge and melee basic attacks.
- Hybrid Sorc - This encompasses several new styles that are available via hybridization such as Healer, Buffer, Defender, etc.