I just mentioned that I use a series of questions to help my players make characters in another thread. So I thought I'd share those questions here, incase anyone wants to use them or can take inspration from them. If you have character questions you use in your games, please share them. I'm always looking for some good inspiration. So here is a list of the questions I have my players answer before character creation. Some things to get them really thinking about their heroes. I've had great results with these questions, often getting a lot more than I had asked for.
1. List at least 5 personality traits for your character. For example brash, confident, shy, arrogant, etc.
2. List a quirk or habit your character has. For example, bites their fingernails, tends to absentmindedly whistle, taps their foot or fingers when bored, etc.
3. List at least 5 living family members. If they don’t live in the same town or city as you, where do they live? What is your relationship like with them like?
4. List at least 3 living friends you have outside of the party.
5. What does your character like to do in their free time? Things like hobbies, other areas of study, art, athletics and so on.
6. What makes your character angry or gets on your nerves?
7. What is your character afraid of?
8. What makes your character happiest in the world?
9. What are your character's long term goals beyond adventuring? Things like raise a family, take over the family business, leave this small town behind and strike it big in the city, etc.
10. List a possession your character has that has some sentimental value to them. Why do they cherish it? It could be their engagement ring, a trophy from a successful battle or hunt, something from their childhood, something given to them by a friend or family member, etc.