1. Have just finished the first little adventure in Castle Ravenloft (trying to escape dungeon). If you start on a tile and then move 2-3 spaces in any direction, you hit the edge of a tile. I'm assuming that your Hero phase is done and you are then in the "Exploration Phase," right?
I have asked the same question. No response yet. I continue to play as you are stopping at the tile edge even if that means I don't get to use my full movement.
2. Does every new added tile have a monster? That seems to be indicated by step 3 in the "Exploration" phase.
Yes, every time a new tile is place, add a monster on the bones (or mushrooms if playing LoD)
3. What does it mean to "activate the villain" in step 2 of the "Villain Phase?"
In the Adventure System games there are Monster Cards with Experience that you draw and place with each tile and there are villians. Typically they are of thick cardboard stock like the Characters and are used in various scenarios. One example would be the Human Assassin Artemis Entreri in LoD, who is used in the 2nd Adventure. Once the players discover the throne room, Artemis shows up on the start tile and moves towards the party.
4. What does it mean to "activate each Monster and Trap Card" in step 3 of the "Villain Phase?" Does this imply that the villain/trap always attack first in the scenario where a new tile is placed and they appear?
As a player you only attack (typically) during your Hero Phase and the Monsters/Traps only attack during the Villian phase. You only activate the Monsters/Traps you control, but if there is a villian in play, it activates in every players turn making it quite deadly. So yes, the new Villian, Trap or Monster that appears on the new tile will likely the player that caused the new tile to be placed, and that player won't attack back until the next time they start their Hero Phase.
5. Do monsters move only once (when they are revealed)? Or, do they move again?
It depends on the what it says on the Card. When it is first revealed, the monster will probably just attack the closest character. But, You can flee from a monster when its your next hero phase (moving twice your speed and likely multiple tiles) and likley out run it if you choose not to fight it. That means the monster will move again in pursuit.
6. Does the vampire in the first adventure move? He seemingly awakes in the first tile you set down, but there is nothing about monsters/villains moving, chasing, or trying to attack a character.
Don't know - as I don't have CR. Sorry!
7. Under what circumstances would a hero have a chance to disable a trap (it seems traps always act first)?
The way I read Traps is that when one is drawn as an Encounter Card, it attacks - meaning acts first. So the player who drew it will likley get attacked by it. The next player could attempt to disable it by rolling what ever is required on the card. If that player fails the trap activates again in the villian phase.
Hope this helps!