I created a Shadar-Kai character for a campaign that I'm playing in and I'm not sure which class to go with. Its between an Avenger, Assassin or Rogue. I want them to be a capable assassin that uses poisoned daggers.
I was thinking of going with the Daggermaster or whatever Rogue, but I also like the looks of an Assassin.
I have somewhat of a backstory made up, but I have to revise it and make it better.
In any case, I want the Shadar-Kai to be an assassin of sorts and do melee damage more than anything. Also stealthy and to use poison.
So which class might be best for what I want? I ALWAYS play a Paladin and this is my first character that isn't a Paladin, so I kind of need a bit of help.
Executioner (an Assassin branch class from Heroes of Shadow) is right up your ally for Poison dagger usage. The assassin class itself even has feats that makes poison usage not so much of a bad idea, so no multiclass needed should you play a Rogue or Avenger. I'd put my vote on an Executioner myself.
Thanks ToeSama, that's what I was thinking too.
But the only problem with that is, I don't have the books to make one properly. The character builder doesn't seem to build things properly. Do you happen to know which book the Assassin-Executioner is in?
Also, I think that the Executioner class will work great with my background story.
I'll second the executioner, since it's shadow magic utility powers should work pretty well with shadar-kai fluff. And yeah, the Red Scales guild option of the executioner has a power that makes poisons applied via your dagger more likely to work.
Thanks you guys! Here is the backstory I have for my character.
Character Name: Elurion Di'ren ("World-Eater")
1) Elurion Di'ren is quiet and mostly keeps to himself, but he will also mutter to himself about different things. If any of his fellow party members ask about his past or about his tattoos, he tells them "Its not for you to know." and ends it at that.
2) Elurion was born in the Shadow-Fell, but moved to the Shrouded Pass Citadel to start a new life and get away from the foul memories of when he was young and his village was attacked by legions of undead and the Lich King who commanded them.
3) Elurion has a Shadow Hound that serves him as a loyal companion and follows him everywhere, unless Elurion tells him to stay behind or to scout ahead. They can talk to each other through telepathy and often don't speak out loud to one another.
4) Elurion seems to not want to go back to the Shadowfell, although he must every once in awhile so that he can "crow" about his accomplishments outside of the Shadowfell and assert his position within the Shadar-Kai society.
5) Elurion got the long scar over his right eye, when he was just a youngling and his village was attacked by hordes of the undead that were lead by a great Lich King by the name of ___________. Elurion vowed to exterminate any undead that crossed his path and to hunt down those who seek to rule over the undead; Vampire Lords, Lich's, etc.
6) Elurion is also known as the "World-Eater" by the Shadar-Kai, because his ambition and determination to become the strongest and best of the Shadar-Kai. He takes being a Shadar-Kai to a whole other level and is feared, even amongst his own people. He is stealthy and courageous. People fear saying his name, because they think it will mark them next to fall to his poisoned blades. He appears from the shadows without a sound and leaves without a trace.
7) Elurion believes that when he kills, he is sending the souls of his prey directly to the Raven Queen.
1) Elurion seeks to exterminate the undead and those that wish to usurp the Raven Queen's throne (Orcus).
2) Elurion wants the Lich King who attacked his village and scarred him to die by his blade. He will stop at nothing to hunt down the Lich King and have him kneeling before him, as Elurion executes him.
1) Elurion Di'ren is a member of the Guild of Shadows, where he is a hired Assassin for the Guild. He is often hired out to assassinate Undead Lords, that are seeking to raise the undead to usurp the Raven Queen's throne or to envelope the world in a complete darkness.
2) The Lich King that once attacked Elurion's village is actually is Elurion's father, who was trying to exterminate his son to gain an ancient ritual that Vecna promised him. The Lich King failed, but he is still plotting on how to kill his son and gain the ancient ritual. Elurion doesn't know that the Lich King was once his Father, his Mother has only ever told him that his Father was a great Shadar-Kai warrior who fell in battle to the Lich King. (I plan on giving a more detailed backstory on why his father decided to become a Lich).
1) __________; the Lich King (Hostile): __________; The Lich King, is Elurion's Father and his most hated enemy. Elurion doesn't know that the Lich King is also his Father...
2) Guild Master: ___________ :The Guild Master _____________; trained Elurion in the Assassin ways and taught him, his use of deadly poisons. He often sends Elurion coded messages about his next "targets".
3) Can't think of another one at this moment.
1) Elurion remembers when the legions of undead, controlled by the Lich King attacked his village within the Shadowfell. He remembers the ruin that was left, he remembered the screams of his people that fell to the undead monsters. He remembers when his eye was sliced and the cruel laugh of the Lich King that he heard while the Lich tried to kill him.
2) Elurion remembers his first "target" and remembers how that kill made him feel. He felt powerful, he thirsts for his "prey's" blood and longs to send their souls to the Raven Queen.
3) Whenever Elurion gets information about his next "target", he learns all he can about that being and dispatches them as soon as possible. So that way he can move on to the next job. When he executes his victims, he often says to them before they die, "I may have the pleasure of killing you, but my Queen has the pleasure of keeping your soul." (Or something to the effect of that.)
wow, a shadar-kai that isn't boisterous? very interesting... even if you can't find/get the books for the executioner, the assassin itself meshes with the shadar kai really well, both fluff and mechanics wise, and gets a few poison bonuses.
Looks good so far, man! Here are a few prodding questions that might help you flesh out Elurion a little more:
1.) Why does he feel obligated to head back to the Shadowfell to participate in the crowing? You've mentioned how much he dislikes going there, so what reasons does he have for heading there?
2.) You haven't really elaborated on HOW he became an assassin. You've given him a good enough reason (no sane person thinks that having zombies and skeletons running about is a good thing), and you've given him a teacher. HOW did he meet that teacher? Was their relationship rocky at first, or did Elurion always admire the guild master? What made the Guild Master think that Elurion had what it took to become a killer of the undead?
3.) Maybe mention why he's journeying with the other PCs. Is it just a Guild Assignment that has him traveling with a group of adventurers, or does he feel indebted to them somehow?
Post Your Reply
Please login to post a reply.