So, for critical hit charts: right now a critical hit does max damage +2d6 + 1d6/per odd level after 1st to a max of 6d6. What would be neat is if you could choose to give up some of those dice to deal a specific type of wound. For example, spend 2d6 to hamstring your opponent. It loses its move actions until after it heals the damage dealt from the attack (though it can still use its attack action to make a move instead of attack). Alternatively, spend 2d6 to cause a concussion. Your foe takes disadvantage on all d20 rolls until after it heals the damage dealt from the attack. That would be neat…
Sounds good! Below is a sample crit chart form DDC:
Crit Table V: Level 5+ Warriors
0 or less
Battle rage makes friend and foe indistinguishable. Foe is hit for +3d8
damage, and the ally nearest him is also hit by a rebounding blow for 1d4
1) Foe’s weapon shattered.* If the foe has no weapon, inflict +3d12 damage
with this strike.
2) Furious assault hurls foe back 1d10’. Any adjacent foes accidentally strike the
target for damage.
3) Blow to skull destroys ear. Inflict +1d12 damage with this strike, and the foe
suffers permanent deafness.
4) Strike to gut! The foe must make a Fort save (DC 20 + PC level) or spend the
next 2 rounds retching bile from a ruptured stomach.
5) Foe casts weapon away and wails for mercy. Inflict +1d12 damage with this
strike and make another attack.
6) Strike scalps foe. Blood courses down his face, and the foe is effectively
blinded until healed.
7) Foe entangled on your weapon, reducing his AC by -6 while caught. Make
8-12) You see red! Inflict +1d12 damage with this strike as you are overcome by
13-14) Strike to weapon arm. Foe takes quadruple damage from his own weapon as
it is hammered into his face. Foe drops weapon in dumbfounded awe.
15) Blow sunders shield. Inflict +2d12 damage with this strike. If the foe has no
shield, he must make a Fort save (DC 20 + PC level) or be knocked
unconscious from the pain.
16) Strike to top of skull shortens spinal column, shortening foe by 6”. Resulting
nerve damage reduces foe’s AC by -4.
17) Target is disemboweled, spilling his entrails onto the ground. Foe dies instantly
18) Blow destroys target’s face. Foe is immediately rendered blind and deaf and
is now capable of only wet, gurgling sounds.
19) Strike removes crown of target’s skull. Foe dies from exposed brain matter in
20) Blow severs shield arm. Inflict +2d12 damage with this strike. Foe’s hopes of
two-handed weapon mastery dashed.
21) Godly attack. Inflict +3d12 damage with this strike. If the target dies, move up
to 10’ and make another attack on any foe within 10’.
22) Blow severs leg. Inflict +2d12 damage with this strike, and the foe’s movement
drops to zero. Foe does nothing but wail in agony for 1d4 rounds.
23) Strike to skull stuns foe for 1d4+1 rounds and permanently reduces Int by 1d12.
Make another attack on your inert foe.
24) Strike severs weapon arm. Inflict +2d12 damage with this strike, and the foe is
disarmed, literally and figuratively.
25) Devastating strike to torso voids foe’s bowels and crushes organs into paste.
Foe loses 50% of current hit points and all dignity.
26) Strike crushes throat. Foe begins drowning in his own blood and expires in 1d4
27) Crippling blow to spine. Inflict +4d12 damage with this strike, and the foe
suffers permanent paralysis.
28+) Foe decapitated with a single strike. You are Death incarnate. Continue to
make attacks against any foes within 10’ until you miss.