11 months ago ::
Aug 18, 2012 - 8:17PM
Mar 10, 2011
You might want to find and download the Pathfinder "We Be Goblins
" mini-adventure for Goblin PCs... I believe it's still free, and I absolutely love it.
The crunch and the plot itself are probably not much direct use for 4E Hobgoblins, but the adventure is brimming with ideas and energy, and I think Pathfinder's fluff is top-notch.
New DM Tips
The New DM's GroupHorror in RPGs
- Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
- Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
- Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
- "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
- Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
- Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
"Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
11 months ago ::
Aug 20, 2012 - 6:51PM
After talking to my players and looking online, we decided to go with running companion characters for each player.... Should we go for a ranged striker just to fill out that last role?
Look into the Fey Beast Tamer theme under details in the CB. Also, if you want to optimize your team, look into Slayer and Archer Warlord.
You could consider allowing them to use their Second Wind as a minor action (free action on their turn if dwarf).