I bought Gamma World on a bit of whim today. I'm liking what I've seen so far.
Sell me on Gamma World. What do you love about it? What makes this a great game?
I'm a little mixed on GW, but I'll give you my pro-con:
1. I love the genre -- the notion of radioactive role play is pretty cool to me.
2. The basic setting goes back to the 1980's. It's been pretty popular for a long time.
3. This version of GW uses the 4E rules mechanic, so it's easy to play if you like 4E.
4. The game is well designed, has neat graphics, is a lot of fun to play.
1. It's a little slapstick and random. Not everyone's style. (I prefer a darker GW.)
2. Some dislike that it caps out at level 10. (I think this is a strength, but not all agree.)
3. Expansion of the game includes collectible cards; you have to buy card packs. I'm not a fan of this.
4. Expansion of the game is limited. Core rules set, two expansion sets, two novels. That's it.
To me, the good points outweigh the bad points. I just thought I'd toss 'em all out there for you.
Your PROS are basically why I bought the game, so that is good.
"Wacky and Random" describe my gaming group even in serious-mode (for better or worse).
How do people feel about the Alpha Mutations? It's different, but I don't know how much I'm liking that a different mutation springs up every... encounter, is it? I can get a handle on changing Omega thingies... decaying stuff breaks and you get more stuff.
I do like the light hearted, tongue in cheek, post-apocalypse flavor.
Not as much fun as Paranoia but still a nice break from the usual 'high fantasy' rpg.
Also, I'm glad it doesn't take itself quite as seriously as the original GW did.
Because DnD is for Ninnies that want to fight some dude in a robe with glowing stick, shooting snot rockets at the darkness.
And Gamma World is for people who fight things that would eat Conan at tea time and you have an Electrified Chain-Saw and a garbage-can lid.
It makes you kinda feel like you are Chuck Norris and MacGuyver's love child.
Warning may cause you to soil yourself if you see it in dark room.
Pro: In Gamma World you can have a shot gun or a portable thermal nuclear device that rains cosmic radiation on your enemies.
Con: You don't know how to use it.
Post Your Reply
Please login to post a reply.