2 years ago ::
Apr 30, 2011 - 7:18PM
Stand and Receive: A Half-Elf Paladin|Warlock/Fighter/Avernian Knight/Eternal SeekerFirst Order of the Penitent Brothers.[Awesome cool picture to come later]Hi all, longtime lurker and novice optimizer. I've been chewing on a few builds for a while now. This is the first of them. Oh, and for the sake of fullness, here are the basic rules I follow:
Item independance and cool variants are two additional objectives that I'd like to aim for, wherever possible. And so, onto the build.Lvl 30 Summary Spoiler:
- The character must be fun, both for me and for all of you, hopefully.
- The build must be effective at fulfilling the desired goals.
- The sum total of these must be playable at all levels.
Sir Ianholjder Dandau, level 30
Half-Elf, Paladin|Warlock, Avernian Knight, Eternal Seeker
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Reflex
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Vestige Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)
Twofold Pact: Infernal Pact
Seeking Destiny: Unbreakable Skin
Half elf Power Selection: Knack For Success
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 26, Dex 10, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 26.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 16.
AC: 47 Fort: 44 Reflex: 45 Will: 45
HP: 184 Surges: 16 Surge Value: 49
Intimidate +28, Diplomacy +30, Endurance +24, Heal +22
Acrobatics +11, Arcana +16, Bluff +23, Dungeoneering +17, History +16, Insight +19, Nature +17, Perception +17, Religion +16, Stealth +11, Streetwise +23, Thievery +11, Athletics +13
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Versatile Expertise
Level 4: Mark of Warding
Level 6: Bitter Challenge
Level 8: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 10: Wrathful Warrior (retrained to Battle Awareness at Level 11)
Level 11: Twofold Pact
Level 12: Improved Defenses
Level 14: Bloodied Boon
Level 16: Superior Will
Level 18: Hero's Poise
Level 20: Twofold Curse
Level 21: Warding Curse
Level 22: Weakening Challenge
Level 24: Group Defense
Level 26: Divine Mastery
Level 28: Shared Pact
Level 30: Epic Reflexes
Hybrid at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Eyes of the Vestige
Infernal Pact: Hellish Rebuke
Seeker's Lore: Rune of the Hero's Resolve
Hybrid encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Hybrid daily 1: Majestic Halo
Hybrid utility 2: Call of Challenge
Hybrid encounter 3: Lure of Minauros
Hybrid daily 5: Decree of Khirad
Hybrid utility 6: Unspeakable Bond
Hybrid encounter 7: Price of Cowardice
Hybrid daily 9: Crown of Glory
Hybrid utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Hybrid encounter 13: Ice Blades of Levistus (replaces Lure of Minauros)
Hybrid daily 15: True Nemesis (replaces Crown of Glory)
Hybrid utility 16: Divine Aegis
Hybrid encounter 17: Wrathful Smite (replaces Price of Cowardice)
Hybrid daily 19: Vestige of the Unknown Arcanist (retrained to Unyielding Avalanche at Level 21) (replaces Decree of Khirad)
Hybrid utility 22: Shared Valor
Hybrid encounter 23: Demand Respect (replaces Price of Cowardice)
Hybrid daily 25: Discipline the Unruly (replaces Majestic Halo)
Hybrid encounter 27: Restricting Smite (replaces Valorous Smite)
Hybrid daily 29: Name of Awe (replaces Vestige of the Unknown Arcanist)
Heavy Shield, Bracers of Mental Might (heroic tier), Meliorating Godplate Armor +6, Bradaman's Longsword +6, Eye of Awareness (epic tier), Belt of Vitality (epic tier), Far-Step Amulet +6, Ring of Regeneration (epic tier), Foe Caller Gauntlets (epic tier), Demonskin Tattoo (epic tier), Symbol of the Champion's Code +6, Boots of Caiphon (epic tier), Shadow Band (epic tier), Power Jewel (heroic tier), Ritual Book
Also, a brief note on flavor:Spoiler:
In terms of role, the character is intended as a primary Defender, with a minor in Leader, who emphasizes the following: Spoiler:
I envision the character as a member of religious sect devoted to the entombing demons within the bodies (or armor) of their sacred warriors. The intent is to imprison the fiends (and eventually, to purify them into nonexistence). Naturally, only the truly pious (or foolish) would accept such an offer. And sometimes, quite often in fact, the demons manifest in unusual ways.
Effective Strategies by tier: [to be filled in as I work on the level by level breakdown]Things I still need to work on (i.e. feel free to go to town here): Spoiler:
- Temporary hp generation (via Infernal Pact, Bloodied Boon, Shared Pact, and in epic, Shared Valor and the Rune of Hero's Resolve)
- Divine Challenges and Sanctions: providing -4 to hit, or -6 with Protective Hex and Warding Curse, slow, prone (through followup attacks), and by epic weaken, with over 30 point fire and radiant damage (Avernian Knight, Symbol of the Champion's Code)
- Layered Punishments: he will typically have 2 powers at any given time that either stack with challenges and sanctions through interrupts or else enforce another kind of punishment (i.e. Blades of Levistus); further toys through items (e.g. Foe Caller Gauntlets)
- Stickiness: Bitter Challege, World Serpents Grasp, Battle Awareness, powers that grant slow and immobilize
- Durability: plate armor and heavy shields, high Con, temp hps, defense buffs, Unyielding Avalance, and Resist all Con mod (8, currently), as a capstone while in heavy armor (and what paladin worth his salt doesn't sleep in full plate? :P)
- A touch of ranged versatility, to ding his foes with annoying effects before closing in.
- Solid MBA (Virtuous Strike) from level one.
Critique anything and everything that you think needs work. Honestly. I don't claim originality. Only effort and interest.Oh, and many thanks to AlphatheGreat, whose Vader build inspired my thoughts in the first place. Also Litigation and his brutal paladin build, the Inexhaustible Dragon Sovereign. The Hall of Heroes, too. As a resource, it rocks. Great to read as well. And, of course, the CO board.And Pepsi. Or was it Coke?Either way. Time to sleep.
- Ensuring overall effectiveness (including PP, ED, and the first hybrid pact).
- Power and feat choice (as well as order).
- The math.
- Overextent and/or narrowness of focus.
- Item selection at the various levels.
- Race selection is set for the main build; alternates, however, such as a Str/Cha dragonborn (with Mighty Challenge, Avernian Knight and Legendary Sovereign) or Wis/Cha Deva (full paladin, Virtue, Hospitaler, Soul of the World/Saint), would be great to explore. And tiefling shennanigans, naturally. (The next build on my to do list is a Tiefling controller, so I try to vary the races up a little).
- Also, I need to determine whether Versatile Master has a place in the build or not.
- That and I think Ethereal Sidestep is underutilized at the moment. Although it's great for breaking out of movement restrictions, there are perhaps other powers that might serve the build better.
2 years ago ::
May 01, 2011 - 12:47AM
Edited for sleepyheaded errors and easier browsing.
So please enjoy the build and PEACH at your leisure
Variants to be listed below:
i.e. Second Order of the Penitent Brothers
, etc. Soon to come.