I've always dug summoners, and when 4e came out I was annoyed that the base rules lacked any sort of summoning powers. Luckily, at this stage in the game there are more than enough summon powers to make a full fledged summoner, and every attack they absorb is one your party doesn't have to take.
(And no, this isn't a wizard build at all.)Spoiler:
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Snow White, level 16
Dwarf, Druid|Invoker, Primal Summoner
Hybrid Druid: Hybrid Druid Will
Hybrid Talent: Primal Aspect
Covenant Manifestation: Manifestation of Wrath
Hybrid Invoker: Hybrid Invoker Will
Primal Aspect: Primal Guardian
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 19, Dex 12, Int 11, Wis 23, Cha 9.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8.
AC: 31 Fort: 29 Reflex: 25 Will: 31
HP: 100 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 25
Endurance +19, Perception +19, Athletics +13, Nature +19
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +8, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +16, Heal +14, History +8, Insight +14, Intimidate +7, Religion +8, Stealth +9, Streetwise +7, Thievery +9
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Staff)
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Staff)
Level 8: Spirit Talker
Level 10: Mending Spirit
Level 11: Hafted Defense
Level 12: Toughness
Level 14: Armor Specialization (Hide)
Level 16: Paragon Defenses
Hybrid at-will 1: Grasping Tide (Druid)
Hybrid at-will 1: Hand of Radiance
Spirit Talker: World Speaker's Command
Hybrid encounter 1: Thunder of Judgment
Hybrid daily 1: Summon Giant Toad
Hybrid utility 2: Miraculous Fortune
Hybrid encounter 3: Tundra Wind
Hybrid daily 5: Summon Celestial Lion
Hybrid utility 6: Swarm Dispersal
Hybrid encounter 7: Rain of Blood
Hybrid daily 9: Summon Crocodile
Hybrid utility 10: Angelic Messenger
Hybrid encounter 13: Oak Skewer (replaces Tundra Wind)
Hybrid daily 15: Wall of Blades (replaces Summon Celestial Lion)
Hybrid utility 16: Wall of Stone
Boots of Quickness (heroic tier), Siberys Shard of the Mage (heroic tier), Magic Feyhide Armor +4, Summoner's Accurate staff +4, Cloak of Distortion +3, Circlet of Indomitability (heroic tier), Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Phylactery of Action (heroic tier)
Notes about this build:
- Your summons have your defenses and their hps are based on your bloodied value, so you can't dump your own defenses as a summoner.
- You have push powers to line up bad guys next to your summons, or to provide your party with combat advantage from a summon.
- You are tough for a controller, with 100 hps and a 31 AC. I'd take the dwarven durability feat next.
- At epic, once you get the primal summoning expertise feat, then you can pick up druid summons that have annoying instinctive effects, like the lightning drake.
- You get the shaman's spirit as well as any daily summons you get.
Why play this over a single classed druid or invoker?
- You have more ranged options from your invoker side, and they tend to be more dpr, or party friendly. Plus wrath is a great aoe ability (and comes for free).
- You don't have to waste slots on beast powers, and can instead focus on ranged attacks and summons. You never have to close to melee.