I'm sorry if this has already been posted. These are the troubleshooting steps I was given:
Advanced Character Builder Troubleshooting Process
Reminders: When you are prompted to log in, please make sure you are logging in with your email address and password that you'd normally log into D&DI with. It is not asking for a forums user id, or anything else.
- The Character Builder does not yet run well with the new Microsoft .NET v.4.0 framework, so please make sure that you have also installed the appropriate .NET Framework, which is version 3.5 Service Pack 1. This program is used as part of the update process, and if not installed, can cause severe slowdowns and errors. Just go to Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the v.4.0 framework, then download the correct v.3.5.1 framework here: www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx...
- If you experience the error where the update gets to 100% and does nothing:
1. Go to: start/control panel/programs and features.
2. On the top left you should see "Turn windows features on or off." Click it.
3. Find "Microsoft .NET framework 3.5.1" when the window opens.
4. Click the + sign next to it to expand it so you can now see:
"Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation"
"Windows Communication Foundation HTTP non-Activation"
5. Make sure there is a tick in both boxes and select OK.
- Also, some AntiViruses applications may report a Trojan attack when you try to install or update our applications. Some part of our Updater code is wrongly identified as a Trojan, because it is similar to an existing malware code string. We have not at the moment been able to identify the occurrence, and are working to try to resolve this issue. This is a false-positive.
- If you use a download accelerator, please disable it.
- If your computer is running on someone else’s network, like that of a School, Business, Library, or a friend, the network can block download sites like ours. You may want to talk to the Network Administrator to see if they’ll allow access.
- Please temporarily lower/disable your firewalls, security settings, anti-virus software and other security programs. This includes AVG, Nortons, McAfee, Windows, and others.
- Also with Windows Vista, please make sure that you are running the program as the Administrator of your computer. You can do this by right-clicking the desktop icon and choosing Properties, then choose to make the program Run As Administrator for all Users. This bypasses some inherent Windows Vista security protocols.
- The Courier New font causes some people issues. If you reinstall the courier new font, it can solve some problems. Please follow this link: web.nickshanks.com/fonts/microsoft-core-... to download and install.
- Make sure that you only have 1 instance of the Character Builder Updater/Installer running. Sometimes people will click it too many times and start multiple instances as it can take a few seconds to start up. Too many instances of the Character Builder or another program could be causing some sort of conflict.
To Close background applications:
1. Press Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time. A dialog box will display with a series of buttons, select the Task Manager Button to display a list of the active programs.
2. Close all active programs, one at a time, by selecting each program and clicking the End Task button.
3. Repeat these steps until all programs have been closed.
4. Stop any antivirus and/or firewall programs you have installed (make sure you turn them back on afterwards)
5. Shutdown any unneeded processes running in the background under the process tab (do not kill any SYSTEM process)
1. Double check that you can successfully login to D&DI.
2. Make sure you have uninstalled any previous versions of the Character Builder.
- Double check to make sure all files and directories have been deleted. The default location for these files is: C:\Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Character Builder
- Check to see that you can see hidden files and folder
- Open any window directory (Eg: C:\)
- Select Tools then folder options
- Click on View
- Find the Section that says “Hidden files and folder”
- Make sure “Show hidden files and folders” is selected
- Click OK and now delete the following:
- C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Temp folder
- C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Wizards_of_the_Coast\Character Builder
- (Windows 7) Show hidden files by going to Control Panel/Appearance and Personalization/Folder Options.
-Delete the following: C:/Users/[username]/AppData
- (Vista) If you are using Vista, please manually clean out your Temp Folder by using the process provided on the following website: pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/ht/ma...
3. Remove any Registry Entries on your machine regarding the Character Builder. If you are concerned about doing a regedit, please contact us, otherwise see below.
- Click Start --> Run --> type in the word regedit
- In the Registry Editor open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Wizards of the Coast
- Delete: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wizards of the Coast\2a1ddbc4-4503-4392-9548-d0010d1ba9b1
- Right Click on the folder and select "delete"
4. Reboot your computer.
5. Please lower/disable your firewalls, security settings, anti-virus software and other security programs. (They may have refreshed from the reboot.) This includes AVG, Nortons, McAfee, Windows, and others.
- And please make sure you have the following router and security ports opened if need be: 80 and 443.
- Here are links to support pages on Microsoft.com that will walk you through the process of manually opening ports for Windows firewall:
- (XP) support.microsoft.com/kb/308127
- (Vista) windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/... .
6. Please open your Internet browser and clear your Cookies and Temporary Internet Files. If you are using Internet Explorer 8, please click the “Compatibility View” button. (It is up near the Address field and Refresh button.) Also turn off any download/pop-up blockers that your browser might have.
7. Before you try to download the Character Builder, make sure you Login to D&DI using your email address and password that you'd normally log into D&DI with. It is not asking for a forums user id, or anything else.
8. Go to the main D&D page (www.wizards.com/DnD/) and scroll down to the D&D Insider Toolbox section and choose the “Download” option for the Character Builder. Run the "DDI_CB.exe" file.
- If any other pop-ups appear asking for permission to Run the software, please choose “Run” or “Yes.”
9. Eventually the Character Builder – Install Wizard window will appear. Please click “Next.”
- Accept the terms of the License when it appears and press “Next.”
- Then enter your Customer Information and press “Next.”
- When you get to the Destination Folder window, please allow it to install to the suggested path at C:\Program File\Wizards of the Coast\Character Builder\
- Then press “Next.”
10. Now that you are at the Ready to Install the Program window, choose “Install.”
- Once at the InstallShield Wizard Completed window, do not click the “Launch Character Builder” box. Just press “Finish.”
11. Now that it is installed, go to the Character Builder icon on your desktop and right-click it to “Run As… Administrator” to start the program.
- If you’re unable to Launch or Update the Character Builder on the main splash page, please click the “Having problems?” link and try those troubleshooting options or choose “Repair” if it is highlighted.
12. (Get Update.) The splash window should have a “Launch Character Builder” button and a “Get Update” button. If there is a “Found an Update!” message, the Get Update button should be highlighted and you should click it. It will then ask for your email address and password that you'd normally log into D&DI with. Then agree to the terms.
- The update may take a little while, but please be patient. You should end up with a “Success!” message and you’ll want to click the “Launch Character Builder” button.
- If you hit your install limit please call us at 1-800-324-6496 (option #2) and we can bump your limit quickly (emails are a bit slower)
- If you still continue to have problems, please reply back and attach a screenshot of the error message you are seeing. With that, we can try to further determine what the issue is, to get it resolved for you.))
My issue is the download sticking at 100% but I cannot do the fix listed as I am running WinXP.
When I installed the CBC on my laptop months ago it installed perfectly first time and updated without a hitch. When the HDD failed, I have not been able to install it after the new web one was launched.
I can't afford to have it sitting there for days on end as I need it to work on. I did leave it downloading over a whole weekend but it still didn't finish the download. The tech support have tried everything. What looked promising is they made me set all the files as read only in the character builder folder. It started installing the update, only to error, claiming that the files could not be verified.
I have tried to use the web one in firefox by scrolling out as I am on a netbook. The CBC would scale fine and I could see everything. But if I use firefox I can zoom out and press the buttons, but everything is so small I cannot read it! Why is a web based app using a fixed resolution?