Lost has some good character backgrounds for D&D actually...
Your father was an alcoholic perfectionist and now can't help it, you have to fix all of your problems, your friends, and yes, even the world.
After a justifiable (in your mind) homicide, you went on the lamb but were caught only to have a sudden chance to escape which, of course, you took.
As a boy you were witness to the events that killed your parents. Since then you've vowed to exact revenge on the person who did this. As you go about your plans for revenge you find yourself becoming more and more like the person you hate.
You are cursed. No matter how much money or influence you have, bad things seem to follow you.
All you wanted was a friend (or father). What you got was thrown out of a high window. Now, under mysterious circumstances, you have been healed and can walk again. This gives you a new purpose in life to find adventure (or follow an obscure god).
311. Sayid You used to work for the army as a torturer of prisoners. You were good at it. You ARE good at it. But when they arrested that beautiful young girl you've known your whole life and brought her to you for you to ply your trade, you just could not face the reality of what you do anymore. You had to get away. But you cannot escape what you are. You are a torturer. You are a killer, Sayid...
312. Benjamin Your mother died in childbirth, and your father always blamed you for her death. Your whole life, he's been abusive and a drinker. Your village was at war with the tribe of nomads that lived in the nearby jungle. When the opportunity came for you to go join the nomads, you took your chance and set in to motion a chain of events that started with killing your father and ended with the death of every last person in the village. The tribe of nomads made you their leader and you were happy, for a time. Until some guy following an obscure god took your place and exiled you. And now, an old rival is coming to kill you. You're on your own, you and anybody you can talk into following you...
313. Charlie You used to be pretty famous. You remember that bard a few years back, wrote that big hit ballad? Yeah, that was you. But the trials of fame hit you pretty hard. You gave in to temptation, drugs, women. All that gold got spent, and now you're hopelessly addicted to hard narcotics, disowned by your family, friendless, jobless, hopeless. So you take to the road. Maybe you can turn the whole thing around. If you're strong enough. If only that Oracle wasn't so damnedly sure that "You're gonna die, Charlie"...
314. Desmond You've been a screw-up your entire life. But somehow, you've found the love of a wonderful, beautiful, wealthy (let's not deny it) woman. Unfortunately for you, her father won't let you anywhere near her. You're not good enough. To prove him wrong, you set off to win a race around the world. But on the way, you got lost and captured by a strange wizard who forced you to live underground and participate in strange experiments to "save the world". During a fit of rage, you managed to kill the wizard, but are you really free? The last competitor in the race must have returned home a decade ago. Surely, you've been forgotten by now. Surely your love has moved on. You don't even think you could find the way home if you tried. Where can you go? What can you do? As a result of the wizard's experimentation, you sometimes see flashes of terrible events in the future, but whatever you do, you can't seem to change them...
315. Danielle Years ago, someone came in the night and stole your baby. You've been searching for years trying to get her back, mastering the art of tracking and becoming an expert with your bow. You've traveled alone for so long. Always, always alone. So alone. And slowly, over the almost two decades since your daughter was stolen, your sanity has started to slip away. Maybe letting some other travellers help you wouldn't be such a terrible thing after all. But, you're convinced you have to kill everyone you meet, to prevent the spread of a terrible disease...
316. Boone When you were a kid, your mother married a very wealthy landowner who had a daughter just a year or so younger than you. She is very beautiful, and you've been in love with her for years. You would never admit this to anyone, but all the same, it's true. She is the rebellious type, always running off and getting herself into all manner of bad situations. And you, being in love with her and also her stepbrother, are always coming to her rescue. She's perpetually the damsel in distress, and just once, you'd like to get the girl...
317. Mr. Eko When you were a child, a group of terrible barbarian raiders came to your village. They brought an unarmed, innocent man from your village into the town square and forced him to his knees. Picking your brother out of the crowd of helpless onlookers, they gave him a crossbow with a single bolt and told him to shoot the helpless man. To save your brother from becoming a killer, you took the burden on yourself. Rushing out of the crowd, you took the crossbow and killed the man. Your brother was spared from having that weight on his soul. But you were taken by the barbarians and made a member of their tribe. For years, you lived as they did, ruthlessly killing and stealing from the innocent. Then in a deal between tribes, you agreed to transport a cartload of expensive drugs across the continent. Deciding to arrange a disguise for yourself, you returned to your home village and sought your brother. Now, he was a man, and a true priest of Corellon. Threatening to kill him and burn the church to the ground if he did not comply, you forved him to ordain you as a cleric of that goodly deity. With your disguise in place, you set out with the cart of drugs. During a terrible storm, your cart and horses were washed over a massive unclimbable cliff, and you barely escaped with your life. But you can never return to your tribe, or they will surely kill you for destroying their chance at wealth. You can not continue to the end of your road, or the other tribe will surely kill you for destroying their shipment. You can not return home to your brother, for shame over what you had done to him. Realizing that the gods are surely punishing you for your wickedness, you decide to try to make amends for your past deeds. But now you are alone, with no skills except to kill. No possessions except your cleric's vestments. Fashioning a club from a nearby tree, and pulling your vestments tight around you, you set off into the world, to try to make a new life for yourself...
318. You are a human whose body is inhabited by the spirit of an immortal. After untold eons of existence, the immortal's time was finally at an end. Rather than simply allow its essence to fade away, the immortal decided to offer itself to a willing and worthy host.
You retain your own mind and will even as a spirit immortal inhabits your body. Housing the essence of an immortal (even one in twilight) means you enjoy longevity unknown by any human. You recall the countless lifetimes of the immortal's existence as dreamlike memories (unlike with most devas, these are not your own lives).
Let's hope the revitalized interest brings us closer to our goal!
Wow, I am impressed with how dedicated you have been to this thread, I think I've seen more backstories from you then anyone else.
In fact I am surprised with how far this thread has come. I made it absent-mindedly one day when I was looking for a backstory to use and was upset to find no such thread devoted to backstories existed. I haven't checked back since the first page though, lol. Happy to see it picked up.
319. Ludicrous bet: You were quite at home with staying at home once. In fact, there was a time when you would have never even considered leaving the safety of the city walls. But you had to let your pride get the better of you, didn't you? You made some ludicrous bet with an arrogant scholar, and now you adventure to win it. You could return home at any time, but it would be in shame, and you would be disgraced. No. You will continue to adventure no matter how long it takes, until you have won the bet. Whether it be traveling the world in 80 days, or diving 20,000 leagues under the sea, or even collecting 500 illithid tadpoles from an elder brain tank, you will see it to completion.
Thank you anyone who has supported this thread. ^^
Soon is a funny creature with a highly variable pupal state, after which it becomes the beautiful creature known as now. Sometimes this metamophosis takes as little as a day, and sometimes it takes several months. Occasionally, the creature enters hybernation after chrysalis begins, and it may be several seasons before the metamorphosis is complete. Occassionally, the creature dies while in the pupal state without warning, and waiting for now to emerge becomes a lesson in futility. This is also seen in the creature known as later, and waiting for both soon and later to become now can be a frustrating process.
Will add that I think Zinger is just a new 'type' of mafia player that doesn't really play by our standards and therefor still leaning towards town for now based on the way he plays in other games and it's seemingly the same (and I can't really see him as scum in all of them).
The sun rises – and then is blown away by the fierce wind.
All over the world, dark clouds cover the sky. The atmosphere is covered in a dark iron curtain of cumulus. Thunder pours from the sky as if it mere rain and it hails daggers onto the ground. The people hide in fear, of whatever ungodly evil has been summoned by some fool.
The Great Guardian of the Sky, RAYQUAZA, has been summoned.
And he has come for Silly Dragons!
(Right Click - > View)
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Silly lay dead, once known in life as James, Town Aligned.
Now that Silly is dead, there is a calm. Once again all is right with the Heavens above.
But on Earth violence remains. King of Dominaria weeps over the loss of the one of his heart. He decides to end it all. He grabs an Arbok and shoves it onto it his neck. “BITE ME – END ME!” The snake does as asked and fills KoD with an exotic, incurable venom. He collapses.
Enraged and vicious, the snake systematically begins killing KoD’s poke’mon. Gengar and Beedrill are brutally slaughtered in an attempt to fight back. Skitty wisely tries to run away, but is easily taken out after Ekans discovers an underground gopher hole to pop out of. With great wide unhinged jaws, the snake swallows Skitty whole.
In great sorrow after the death of his owner, Silly, Wailord begins to look for his own lover – Skitty. It is a little known fact but whales and cats actually can interbreed in the pokemon world. Here is a graphic image illustrating this relationship.
At noticing the scent of Skitty in the vicious Arbok, Wailord goes nuts. He begins flopping around on the land and foaming from the mouth. He turns into some kind of suicide berserker and just throws his body haphazardly into anything. Mountains are crushed, caves are demolished, the earth is sundered. And Arbok is turned into a purple fruit roll up.
Meanwhile, KoD is suddenly feeling better! “I must have a natural immunity to snake poison or something. Wow…that was certainly sad and all, but y’know, I don’t think I’ll kill my – OH MY GOD IT’S A GIANT STAMPEDING WHALE!”
It was like dropping the Moon onto an ant. KoD never stood a chance.
…wait, maybe he did! The blowhole! KoD managed to become a modern day Jonah and avoid certain dead by smashing. He begins to live inside the whale itself, starting a farming community on the great beasts tongue. Mostly living out of self grown mushrooms plucked from his own horribly unhygienic body and drinking whale saliva to survive, KoD is…well, still suicidal. But clinging onto life.
However, one day the great beast yawns. KoD tumbles back into the digestive system. His skin is flayed away by acid. Miraculously, he survives as some kind of horrible walking pile of muscles. Then…in the most horrible, disgusting way imaginable…he manages to escape from the whale using a secret exit.
Of course, the local insects also like what came out of the whale’s secret exit. They find KoD and decide he’d be much better with several stings and bites. KoD becomes violently ill from malaria and begins puking. Unfortunately he loses a lung in the process and has to be rushed to the hospital. There he is put into an iron lung and locked away by the hospital staff, who promptly forget to feed him. KoD starts starving to death inside an iron machine that is keeping him alive against his will. Crying every day, he wishes just to die.
Then, one day, a young boy from a local charity group brings KoD breakfast. There’s eggs, orange juice, coffee…and a bran muffin.
KoD eagerly eats the breakfast, having begun digesting his own stomach before being given the wonderful gift of food. He saves the muffin for last. He takes a big bite and begins choking. He passes out and dies from lack of oxygen.
However, the EMTs finally heard KoD’s cry! They bring in the jaws of life and a deliberator. AMAZINGLY, they actually bring KoD back from the dead! KoD managed to survive the terrible curse of the muffin! All is saved.
Unfortunately, whales are incredibly fond of muffins too. Wailord shows back up seeking the muffin and grinds everyone in the hospital to a fine paste. KoD is now a pancake and was, before being smashed into a breakfast food himself, Jessie, Town Aligned.
Eventually Silly’s Wailord killed itself after realizing its life as a reality TV star was meaningless. Silly’s other Poke’mon, Zapdos died of a heroin overdose.
Serena is drinking coffee peacefully. It is a luxury she will not have often.
The big, puffy pink lips…yes, Serena must give this woman a lovely kiss!
The making out is passionate and forceful. There is tongue on tongue action.
During this ungodly nightmare of mankind/poke'mon relations, a mysterious move is made. Jynx yawns incredibly loud - popping her cheekbones...which turn out to be whirling blades of death. Shocked Serena tries to escape, but Jynx bear hugs her into submission. In an instant the Jynx whirls Serena's tongue into a bloody pile of dust. Slowly, the electronic blades go deeper and deeper up Serena’s throat until finally reaching the brain. A few slices here and there…Serena has been given an involuntary lobotomy.
She stares into space aimlessly. She is of the living but her spirit is gone.
The odd Jynx continues its plan. It vomits out several eggs into the now living corpse of Serena, via oral entry. They hatch into little Jynx maggots and begin to feast on Serena’s non-vitals. Slowly, the maggots begin to mature while eating out the inside of the still breathing, lobotomized Serena. They keep her alive in order to sustain the body as a food source – ensuring to eat an unimportant muscle, a vestigial pancreas…she’ll stay fresh longer if her heart still beats…
It’s too horrible to watch anymore. All you need to know is that she was Lt. Surge, Town Aligned. Her remaining Poke’mon, Gengar and Mismagius died alone in the wilderness.
Television informs you Glare has the orb now. It then flips to some local news about a ship being fired upon. Bored, you watch aimlessly until you hear a gunshot.
A random Suicine had it's brains blown out. The exit wound is the size of your fist. You try to apply medicine but you realize duct tape can't fix the hypothalmus.
* Silly Dragons died as James, Town Aligned. His poke'mon were Wailord and Zapdos. He was obliterated by Rayquaza.
* King of Dominaria died as Jessie, Town Aligned. His poke'mon were Skitty, Gengar and Beedrill. He was crushed by Wailord.
* Serena died as Lt. Surge, Town Aligned. Her Poke'mon were Gengar and Mismagius. She was given a Lovely Kiss.
320. Infiltrator: You were designed, either by your God or some heretofore unknown evil entity, to act as an unwitting infiltrator into a group or organization. Think of yourself as a living crystal ball underneath the secret tote of an evil organization/demon/Far Realm monstrosity... (Just saw Terminator, couldn't resist...)
321: Dad???:You were designed by your father to be his vessel of reincarnation. From birth your sole purpose was to one day house the dead spirit of your evil father. (Got that one from "The Dunwich Horror")
322. The Last of Your Faith: You were initially a fresh-faced initiate, just ordained and ready to work the will of your god in the world. Then everything came crashing down. Your fellow believers were almost completely wiped out in one night of horrific violence and destruction. When the dust settled, you were one only a handful of survivors. Since you were technically the highest ranking survivor, you ended up recieving the mantle of leadership. You have a divine mandate to rebuild your god's faith back up from the foundations. Your task is a daunting one. Many of your faith's holy texts have been destroyed, and you must rewrite them. Your god's temples have been desecrated, and you must rebuild them. You must proselytize to swell the ranks of the faithful. And in addition to all these duties, it is your personal mission to figure out why your religion was targeted and almost wiped out, and take revenge!
323. The Hand of Destiny (Devas only): You were selected by a god, most likely the Raven Queen, but it could be any god or maybe the whole pantheon, to be their instrument of prophecy. However, you are not the Chosen One destined to save the world. Rather, you're more like a divine insurance policy that events turn out a certain way. You have been instructed to teach or protect specific individuals that the gods have selected for greatness. Several times you've been required to die to spur your charge into action and proceed with his or her destiny. Do you willingly follow the commands of your divine masters, ensuring that history goes according to plan, or to you wish to rebel and become your own hero?
324. Your Princess is in Another Castle You are a knight or whatever on quest to find the lost princess of the kingdom you serve, but so far you have come up empty handed.
325. Future Imperfect You are a time lost adventurer from the distant future seeking a way to prevent some catastrophe from happening.
326. Not Dead...Yet! You have been dead for quite some time, but miraculously have come back from the grave. Somehow you have been spared the horror of decay and appear basically the same as before your death. How has this come to be and why? These are the answers you seek.
You're standing in the doorway to a long-forgotten dungeon, surrounded by 3 friends--a Fighter, a Cleric, and a Wizard. You assume that you are probably a Rogue. You have to assume, frankly. You have no idea who you are. All you know is that the name in the top left corner of your sheet came from a 'fantasy name generator' from the realm of Internet, which you believe must be close to the Feywild.
You are level 27, but you get the sense that no one has ever heard of you. That would make sense since you were born 33 minutes ago when the guy with the spot of ranch on his lower lip copied a bunch of stuff from a forum thread.
You suspect that somehow, the answer to every question you have may well be found at the end of this dungeon. If not, that's OK. Ranch-on-lips will replace you, anyway.