1) Kriv is a hulking spdragonborn maximum racial hieght and wieght, with brown -bronze-coppery scales. He typical wears polished chainmail armor and carries a longsword and heavy shield polished to such a sheen that they almost glow. 2.) Kriv is very concerned with honor, and as a result tends to be extermly polite and formal at all times.
3.) Kriv was raised until the age of 5 by his father, Kruskel Vargrull a famed Dragonborn fighter, and Champion of his clan.
4.) Kriv witnessed the slaughter of his clan, and the death of his father, who he thought was invincible, which so shocked and frightened him, even though he had started to train as a fighter under his father’s tutelage, that he ran and hid until the army of Gnolls had moved n which is the reason he survived, but has forever left him scared with survivors guilt.
5.) He then wandered from settlement to settlement, until taking up with a band of orphans on the streets of (enter city name) . His sense of honour and duty soon had him taking the orphans under his wings, protecting them, and organizing them using their natural talents to honestly find ways of supporting themselves.
6.) At age 11 he had effectively been leading the group of orphans for 5 years, when a new local up and coming guild of thieves decided that the orphans could be used to aid in their nefarious deeds and even make a guild a profit, and set about trying to beguile, trick and finally force the children into their guild.
7.) Kriv’s sense of honour and duty would not let him or his friends become part of such a disreputable trade, and soon brought him and his friends into conflict with the guild, and they sent an enforcer to bring kriv and his friends into the fold, or kill Kriv and those children that refused to join, in order to make an example to others that openly opposed the will of the guild.
8.) Kriv was just a hairs breath from death when the Veteran Senior Watch Commander Sir Forstall, commanded his patrolling troops into the fray between the guild enforcer and Kriv and his friends.
9.) Sir Forstall having seen how Kriv, even at his young age had bravely fought the enforcer with his great physical strength and an old wooden practice sword, but had also commanded his friends with an incredible amount of natural charisma and cunning wit, that had given Sir Forstall and the watch troops enough time to get into position and capture the enforcer before he could complete his assignment, was convinced that given the proper education Kriv would prove to be a natural and powerful leader
10.) Kriv and first was a bit standoffish and distrustful, but soon came to see the old office as a man of honour and military skill, and as time went on and his studies progressed under the old man’s sponsorship as an adoptive father.
11.) Now that he has graduated from the academy, but with no strong political ties or blood family affiliations, besides that of the old officer, he has been unable find a posting as an officer in the military or city watch as he is not of noble birth nor enough political connections to garner a promotion. Rather than join the army or watch as an rank and file trooper, waiting for a junior officer to die in the field, so he could gain the small opportunity to gain a field promotion. Sir Forstall has encouraged Kriv to seek out a friend of his who may have a lead on an official posting with rank, or to other hardy like minded souls to seize his destiny with.
1.) Kriv feels that his actions on the day of his fathers' death, though they saved him, shamed his clan and him as he did not stand and die among his kin as a warrior should have . He now tries to atone for his past act of perceived cowardess with his every action.
2.) Surkell (his older sister) and Harin (a cousin) were captured and enslaved by the Gnollish army.
1.) Sir Martin Forstall (75yr old Human Paladin/Warlord of Kord)a now retired veteran Senior Watch Officer who saw much potential in Kriv and decided to sponsor the young courageous dragonborn for entry into the academy, and since his wife and children died years paste has become outspoken and disillusioned with the current state of political a familial favouritism in appointing officers in the watch and army, instead of basing the promotions on actual skill and talent.
2.) Beldin an old friend and fellow orphan from the streets, and now a priest of Kord trying to establish an orphanage in the city, who always welcomes Kriv’s help with whatever problems arise around his growing orphanage. He sometimes return’s Kriv’s help and favouritism by assisting Kriv with a little clerical magic.
3.) (Knuckles) Jorge Findsly, after spending the last 11 years doing hard labour for roughing up a bunch of no account orphans that refused to join the guild that he was formally a member of, has returned to the city and resumed his old trade and has some old grudges he would not mind settling if he has half the chance.
1.) Kriv remembers the paralysing fear he felt as he saw his father smashed down by a horde of Flail wielding Gnolls.
2.) Kriv can also remember the smell of burning bodies and buildings as the Gnollish army destroyed his childhood home, and the anger and hate that he felt after the army moved on and left him to pick up whatever small pieces of his paste life he could find and carry with him. This anger and hate lives on in him in his desire to see al gnolls put to death.
3.) Kriv can remember the pride and honour he felt when Sir Forstall convinced him that his bravery and leadership against the guild enforcer, had proved that he was worthy for sponsorship into the academy, and pointed to a glorious future .
4.) Kriv tends to be very polite and formal to allies and enemies alike.[/sblock0
1) Caelynna is young and beautiful Eladrin woman. She stands at 5'5", weighs 134 pounds. Her body is slim and slightly curvy. Her hair grows to where its almost at the small of her back, curling slightly at the end. She often lets her bangs cover one of her eyes, unless she is looking at something that amuses or catches her intrests. Caelynna often wears tight, fitting clothing when she wears casual wear, but sports a suit of hide armor when adventuring.
2) Caelynna was born and raised in a small village in the Feywild called Arbair until the age of 10. It was at this time that she, and many other villagers, were forcefully taken to a human city. No one in her family were taken with her, and during the whole time they were traveling to the city, Caelynna was alone in one of the many carts the villagers were riding in.
3) Along the ride, Caelynna felt her cart come to a halt, followed by the door opening and a small Human boy was thrown inside beside her. As the door closed and the cart started to move again, the young boy proceeded to get up and try to force the door open, but failed in every attempt. Afterwards, he simply turned and stared at Caelynna. "D'ya know where they're takin' us, girl? " was the words that came from his mouth, to which Caelynna only shook her head in response. The boy then sat down and stayed silent for a long time.
4) As the ride progressed, the two would start to talk to one another, steadily growing trust in one another. Caelynna learned that the boy was named Shan, and that he was also the same age as her. They both then talked hours upon hours to pass the time, to learn about each other or to hear stories of each others lives up to before they were taken from their homes. Caelynna and Shan grew as friends, and perhaps even more than that, and cherish each other's company.
5) After a day of travel, they arrived at the city. Both of the two friends were seperated, which brought a fear that slept inside of Caelynna as Shan eventually was no longer in her eyesight. The men took her to a large building. Inside, she saw children, men and women either practicing the way of blade, archery, or magic, as well as some being beaten for simply spilling a trainer's plate or forgeting to do something.
6) Caelynna was taken to a room where the abducted prisoners were being "branded" by the Head Mage of the sector. She soon came in front of the line, where the mage simply grabbed her by the arm and cast a strange spell onto her arm, making a symbol of two blades forming and X, with tribal looking twists going around the blades. " You are now property of Her Highness, Queen Ysmiliia. Follow the guard to your station, and you will receive your instructions there. "
7) After entering a small room with a group of other children, that which included Shan, she was told (as well as the other children) that she will become a warrior that follows the Queen's orders from this day forward, no exceptions, or face the consequence of being killed.
8) Years have passed, and even at the age of 24, Caelynna is still under this horrid Queens' control. However, some good had come of it. Firstly, she and Shan have grown attached to each other over the years, which then turned into an unyielding love at age 18. Secondly, she had always wanted to travel the world, which comes naturally with all the missions the Queen gives her, although she wishes it was under her own free will.
9) Shan and Caelynna made a promise to each other: to free themselves from Queen Ysmiliia's command, and to run away together to start their own life and raise a family.
1) Caelynna and Shan's relationship is kept a secret, because if the Queen or any of her guards or followers found out, either one of them could be killed. To protect one another, they only show affection to each other at night or whenever they can sneak away.
2) Although it is thought that the two's love-life is kept behind closed doors, one of the knights named Ghormez knows of Caelynna and Shan, but for his own reasons has not told the Queen yet.
1) Caelynna's only friend, and also lover, is the Shan. She would offer her life to save his, and he would do the same without hesitation. Any problem that Caelynna has automatically becomes Shan's as well, not because she forces it upon him, but becuase he doesn't want anything to happen to her. Their love started one day when the Queen accused Caelynna of stealing swords and trying to start a small group to assassinate her. Shan quickly objected, which made the queen furious. She ordered the two to be taken to a pit, where, IF they survived against the dire wolves' attack, they would have their "crimes" erased and free to go. During the fight, Caelynna got hurt to the point that she couldn't fight. Shan, in fear of losing her, went into a rage and killed the two remaining wolves. Ever since, they have shared a love that can never be broken.
2) The knight named Ghormez is a shrewd and less than gentleman-like man. He often harrasses the female prisoners sexually and has them beaten if they don't do as he orders them. In all of his years, Caelynna is the most beautifull and most attracting woman he has ever seen. He tries his best to seem kind to her, but Shan sees how he really is and often makes him go away before he can lay a hand on her (providing Caelynna doesn't do it first...). He vows that he will make her his one day, and will not quit untill he achieves his goals.
1) Her most powerfull and still touching memory is when Shan saved her from the dire wolves. He had scars all over his body, and was bleeding horribly, but still he saved her, and she can never thank him enough.
2) Since she was trained in the ways of dual-wielding blades, she is good in combat. Always trying to stay prepared for missions, she always sharpens her swords and makes sure they are clean before she leaves.
3) If anything happens to Shan, she always drops what she is doing to go to his aid. This has caused her to fail many missions, but she doesn't care as long as Shan is safe.
Sharae is 18 years old, and somewhat short for a drow female, with short white hair with blue streaks and dark red eyes. She is physically fit and extremely lithe and flexible, and by the standards of most races, a stunning beauty. She usually wears light black leather armor (in terms of stats, it's cloth) and carries both a long dagger and a straight rune-engraved staff made of blackened oak. She also has a dark gray cloak which she uses to obscure her features when she wishes to go unnoticed
She carries herself confidently, and is usually quick with a joke and a light hearted story. Some would even describe her as bubbly. And while this is not entirely an act, she is actually a swift and brutal killer once her ire is roused. She has no regard for the life or welfare of strangers, and while she will not go out of her way to harm them, neither will she lift a finger in their aid if there is nothing in it for her. All that said, she is actually a very loyal and protective friend, once someone gains her confidence. She believes that there are extremely few people in the world worthy of her friendship, but once she finds them, she hangs on to them tightly.
Sharae is a sorceress with the storm power source.
Str. 11 Con. 13 Dex. 18 Int. 8 Wis. 10 Cha. 18
Background, Luskan (Benefit), Waterdeep, Thief
Trained Skills: Arcana, Bluff, Stealth (available from background), Thievery (available from background)
This is a 4e game, but we're using the 3e Forgotten Realms setting. In it, Mask is still a God in his own right, and Sharae has taken him as her patron deity.
Step 1: Write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character. You don’t have to stop at five, if you like…this is just a minimum.
1) Sharae grew up on the streets of Waterdeep. She was born in the drow city Eryndlin, but shortly after, her mother, the Matron of House Tymester, was killed in a coup by Sharae's sister, Lyllendin. Her father, Riendlin, a mercenary captain arranged to have them smuggled out of the city, and they escaped to the surface. On the surface, he failed to prosper, life being much different than he was used to. He finally found his stride working with an adventuring company, The silver stars. While this did not leave him much time to care for his young daughter, he arranged for her to stay with the elderly mother of one of his new adventuring companions. One Claire Savontes.
2) One night when Sharae was 11 years old, there was a terrible thunderstorm. It seemed to strike with no warning, and for a long time, it seemed the house was about to be blown over time after time. At midnight, the door shook with a heavy knock, three times. Old Claire went to answer the door, and was surprised when an old man stepped through, seemingly unphased by the storm. He was large, and had a massive white beard. And on his head sat a horned helmet. "Greetings woman, might an old man rest his weary bones in your kitchen while the storm passes?" he said. Claire looked at him with a slight frown. "I'm old enough to know not to turn away one of 'you people', and I fancy the storm won't pass less you are satisfied." she said, her normally strong voice betraying an edge of fear, bordering on panic. The guest laughed, "You have no cause to fear me old woman, it is the lolthling I am here to see....please go fetch her from the cellar, that I might see her." When Sharae was fetched, the old man looked her over, his eyes seeming to look through her effortlessly. "Yes, she's got potential, rather mundane, but that can be fixed easily enough.". The man touched her, and for a second, she felt as if she had been struck by a bolt of lightning. "Yes, that's much better." The man said. Then swiftly stood up and opened the door. "My condolensces miss, on your recent loss." he said, and tipped his helment to Sharae, then left slamming the door. Immediately, the storm ceased.
2) Soon after, Claire's son, Terry returned, bearing the news that Riendlin had been lost at sea, but that miraculously, the storm had ceased shortly after, and the rest of the party had survived, though all attempts to find him through mundane or magical means had failed. Sharae continued living with the Savontes, and was raised alongside Terry's daughter Amber much like a sister. Terry Savontes gave up the adventuring life temporarily, as his group had dissolved, and went back to working solo in Waterdeep as a catburglar. When they became old enough, Terry who was a minor legend in the thieves underworld, started teaching the two girls the ins and outs of thievery and the art of the con. Not for the money, as his adventuring life had left him quite wealthy, but because he wanted them to know the excitement and the thrill you could only experience, in his opinion, as a master thief. His mother did not approve, but quite elderly at this point, was unable to oppose him.
3) Sharae is by now a notorious thief and scoundrel, when she is not burglarizing somones home or picking someones pocket, she's most likely taking part in a con or a scam of some sort. She doesn't have the patience or, frankly, the intelligence to concoct a real scheme, but she does have a certain charm and earnestness about her, along with a real flair for acting, which along with her somewhat unique status as a drow, make her a real asset to a con artist gang.
3) She mostly hangs out with two seperate groups of people, one is a group of her childhood friends, who gather at Riegdan's Tavern, which belongs to the father of two of the group. These are people she mostly likes and trusts, and will usually let her guard down somewhat in their exclusive company, as she will only do otherwise with the Savontes. The other group is a gang of con artists and thieves run by a halfling called Briar Garnet, or Briars Club, as they call themselves. Sharae doesn't really trust or like this group, especially Briar himself, who puts on a typical halfling facade of friendliness and charm, but underneath has a cruel vindictiveness that any devil would be proud of. Sharae joined this group because Amber had ambitiously joined the crew after her father went away adventuring again, recognizing that nobody but the very best can survive without a support network for long on the wrong side of Waterdeeps law. Her friend Amber was at that point Briars right hand woman and managed to persuaded Briar to accept her.
4) At one point, Briars Club decided to branch out, and moved to Luskan, at first to run a single con for one of the lower ranking mages at the Tower, but wound up spending 2 years in the seedy port city. This was shortly after Sharae joined, only 15 years old at the time, and it was during this time she had some of her most formative experiences. Amber being the more forward planning of the two, used the time to develop contacts, arrange for membership in the thieves guild in Luskan and then some training for the both of them, figuring that this was a perfect time to develop their skills away from the watchful eye of competitors in Waterdeep.
5) A critical moment in Sharae's life occured in Luskan, when she forgot to clean up a critical piece of evidence, leading a group of thugs they had swindled right to their doorstep, when only Amber and Sharae are there. Easily overpowered, their lives apear forfeit. Several thugs advance on Sharae, weapons drawn, when something inside her seems to snap and she instinctively sends a massive bolt of lightning into the chest of the thug leader, dropping him dead. Following immediately with bolt after bolt of lightning at the thugs, the two women suddenly find themselves the sole survivors in a pile of corpses. This unexpected development, they agree to keep secret from the rest of the team until they understand it's significance.
6) Back in Waterdeep, Briars club gains ever more success, with their new skills and Luskan contacts, they are able to pull off more daring heists and bigger cons than ever. It is at this time that Amber comes to see Sharae, and warns her that her quick temper and lack of forethought are starting to be a liability. She warns her that she can't keep protecting her shortcomings forever, and eventually, she'll have to reign in her temper or Briar will kick her off the team. Following a few more jobs where a major blunder on her part is only narrowly avoided by the skills of the rest of the team, Amber tells her that Briar is furious, and is planning to leave her to the wolves after their next job. Amber advises her to leave the city while she can. Sharae agrees, but secretly decides to do it on her own terms. When the job takes place, she secretly stalks Briar, and arranges for the guards to be tipped off at the worst possible time. Briar is caught by the guards holding the jewels of a wealthy diplomats wife from Calimshan, and thrown in the dungeons, while the rest of the gang escapes.
Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game. During any session in which you take positive action to achieve that goal, I will award you an action point that can only be used in scenes furthering that goal. These Action Points are separate from the action points you gain by resting and reaching milestones. You can change goals later, though you lose all the accumulated Action Points for the goal you abandoned.
1) She would like to gain power, most likely through her newfound sorcerous abilities. She does have some personal issues about her past, which she knows nothing about, but would like to learn more of, and her resentment at having been the only drow around during her early years. While in many ways proud of her abilities and the fear she inspires in most common people, she would on some level like nothing better than a magical disguise of some sort that would allow her to blend in as a regular elf or human.
2) I personally would like to see her go to the Underdark at some point and confront her drow heritage in general, and her sister in particular. I would like for her to take some official standing in the drow hierarchy, perhaps by challenging or joining forces with her sister. Eventually, I would like to see her rise to demi-god or chosen status, assuming the game goes on long enough.
Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!
1) After coming into her power, Sharae took brutal revenge on many of the people who she felt had wronged her during her childhood and adolescence. The worst she slew outright, others merely had their property or homes destroyed. This wave of murders and vandalism was never solved, mostly through lack of any real effort, since most of those killed were seen as scum the city was better off without. Recently, a rather unorthodox paladin of Helm with a penchant for mystery solving arrived in the city, so this may change.
2) The old man who came to their house was actually an avatar of Telos, the God of storms. In his desperation, Riendlin offered his own life in exchange for the safe passage of his fellows, but the wording was such that Telos could claim property of his offspring as well. He found her acceptable and imbued her with the power of storms, keeping her earmarked to become his chosen if she lives up to her potential. Believing solidly in hardship creating excellence, he has no plans to hold any sort of protection over her, apart maybe from his own direct wrath (that is storms), unless she displease him. (this will realistically only be pertinent towards late paragon or early epic tier)
Step 4: Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. All can do something useful for you, if you can get the situations to line up. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.
1) Amber Savontes considers her a friend, nearly a sister, and while she doesn't approve of what she did to Briar, she secretly enjoyed his humiliation and will do what she can to lead him away from getting revenge. She doesn't wish Sharae ill, but the truth is, it was her who had grown tired of her constant raging and lack of thought. Briar was far more willing to cut her slack, since he appreciated her acting skills and the 'secret weapon' of having a drow on his team. He was even rather smitten with her himself, though he never said anything. It was Amber who was humiliated by her connection to the 'fool of the operation' and who decided that it would be best for her to leave. While Briar is imprisoned, she runs the gang, and while not quite as successful, she is much more popular with the crew and once Briar is released, he may find his team less than eager to join him on his personal crusade. Amber is in some ways the classical scoundrel with the heart of gold, but she is still ultimately out for number one, she feels she has pulled Sharae's weight more than long enough and even thinks she's doing her a favor by forcing her to stand on her own. She firmly believes that Sharae is a good person deep down. Consequently, learning the full extent of her retribution would shake their relationship to the core. Had she known, she might have thought better of setting her up.
2) Rael Tynthian is a rich, underhanded Eladrin merchant. At one point, Briars Club ran a con to swindle him out of some dock property, in which, Sharae played the role of Tyrissa the ruthless drow assassin who first intimidates him and is later seduces him, feeding him neccessary misinformation along the way. To both of their surprise, they find they have an actual rapport, and when Rael's agents track her down, he finds himself unable to stay mad and they instead have a brief affair. Over the next few months Rael receives quite a few nocturnal visits from 'Tyrissa the assassin', and while the affair is now over, in it's place is a friendship they both value, despite the unlikely circumstances of its inception.
3) Briar Garnet is out for revenge, he feels betrayed for no good reason, and does not know the extent of Ambers involvement in his predicament. The moment he escapes from the dungeons of Waterdeep, he is coming to find revenge against Sharae.
4) Claire Savontes is an old woman by now, retired from her old teashop business, she now lives in a spacious room of one of Waterdeeps nicer taverns, with upkeep and meals paid by a generous stipend from her son, Terry, who has not been seen since he left adventuring years ago. She has fond feelings for Sharae and considers her an adopted daughter.
Step 5: Describe three memories that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
1) She has many memories of her father, talking about life, about how strange the humans and other surfacers are and his difficulty in coping with his new life.
2) Sharae sometimes has strange dreams involving storms, the sea and darkness that make no sense to her. Since the manifestation of her powers, those dreams first became more frequent, and the abruptly ceased.
3) She always felt the surfacers had a strange view of her, one that seemed to sviwel between abject lust, and outright hatred for no good reason. She has become quite adept at feeling out people in advance, hiding beneath her cloak when neccessary.
Ten Minute Background Vendrathon "Venny" Stalford, Half-Elf PaladinAge: 23Height: 5'7" Weight: 154lbs.Hair: Blond Eyes: Blue
Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged! step1Show
1. Venny grew up in a large city, the son of an innkeeper. When he was 9 years old, a vampiress began kidnapping children in his neighborhood. Venny was captured as well. But before the vamp could lay her fangs into him, he was rescued by a local paladin, Thomas Galshire. Venny knew then what he wanted to do wth his life. He swore to protect others. He swore that one day, he would be the one to Show Up. When he was 12, he joined Galshire's church, to follow in his hero's footsteps. 2. Venny treats everyone he meets with kindness and compassion. Everyone. 3. He believes that every man should be able to create things. He takes cooking duties at the church, and paints in his spare time. 4. Whenever he reduces an enemy to 0 hit points, they are rendered unconscious. He believes in mercy. 5. Whenever he has the choice, Venny will choose to be in danger or pain in another's place. 6. A few weeks before the campaign begins, Venny was one of a trio of scouts gathering intel about a nest of cultists. They were captured, and the cultists began a dreadful ritual to summon a fallen angel. When they didn't return on time, the church dispatched another, larger force to rescue them. When this force arrived they found the cultists in the middle of their ritual, Venny tied to an altar, and his companions already sacrificed. The cultists were apprehended and tried for their crimes. Venny has nightmares about it to this day.
Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game. step2Show
1. From what Venny overheard during his capture, those cultists were one of several cells working toward a larger goal. Venny wants to stop them. 2. I'd like to see Venny finally get his chance to Show Up.
Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises! step3Show
1. The ritual the cultists used Venny in was not foiled, as his compatriots think. It was a success. The fallen angel Mariel resides in Venny's mind and soul. She can't take control of him without his consent, but she speaks to him. She can see through his eyes and hear through his ears, though he has learned to shield his active thoughts from her. She seems to be in no rush to get his consent, and often offers him help of one form or another(usually knowledge) without asking anything in return. She seeks first to get him used to asking for her help, and then to get him slowly reliant on it. She can afford to wait as long as it takes to gain control of him. 2. His brother, one of the rescue force that saved him, saw the sigil of Mariel over Venny's left shoulderblade. He knows what it means. He hasn't told anyone.Super Secret SecretShow
3. Venny doesn't fully realize this himself, but he wants to save Mariel. no soul is so far into the shadow that it cannot walk again in the light, and he wants dearly for this angel to reconcile herself with God. He can't admit it to himself, the hubris is too much, but he wants to show this angel by example that she can still go back to the light.
Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you. step4Show
1. Thomas Galshire, Knight of God. Galshire saved Venny as a child, and was his mentor when the boy joined the church. Venny learned a lot about how to be a man, and how to be a paladin from Galshire. As his commanding officer, Galshire can provide adventure hooks, and as his mentor, Galshire can offer advice. 2. Audwyn LeRaie, a tiefling warlock, was another of the children that went missing when Venny did. She was the first to go missing, as the vampire had been her mother in life. After nearly dying together, they've felt a certain bond, and keep in touch. Audwyn blames Galshire for her mother's death, and holds Venny in some contempt for joining the church. Still, if he can get her to set aside her bitterness, she could be persuaded to perform rituals for the him. 3. Lenton Anston, librarian. Lenton's library is next door to Venny's church, and Venny has done more than his share of good deeds for the old man. Lenton would be glad to assist with book research if Venny asked.
Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
1. Venny still keeps in touch with the other children taken by the vampire. Whether it's a card on their birthdays or a new year's letter, he doesn't forget them. He visits Audwyn every year on the anniversary of they day they were saved by Galshire, to give her moral support on the day her mother died. 2. Venny is a beer enthusiast. He's careful to drink responsibly, but he's always keen to try a new brew. 3. Venny remembers Galshire slaying the vampire, how the paladin asked God to forgive this poor soul and allow her into heaven. He remembers the words uttered with the vampire's dying breath, "Thank you." 4. A belief Venny lives by: The truest measure of a life is the impact it has on others.
We're probably going to be in a homebrew setting with the standard PHB gods available, in which case I'll file him under Pelor, but if I can talk a DM into letting me go the christian angle I will. Never thought I'd say that, but it just feels right for the character.
this is the best character backstory ive ever written, imo. hope you like it!
Etzio Luomo - halfling psion
Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged!
1. Born on the road. Parents (Abe and Abbie) travelling with a large trade caravan, people from all over. Abe and Abbie used to be an expert cat burgling duo operating out of Velen, their most noteworthy caper was stealing the topazes from the Duke of Velen’s scepter (in retaliation to his public whipping of an elderly fence friend). Caused much embarrassment for the Duke. Afterwards they retired and went on the lamb with the trade caravan. They sold all the topazes but one, which they had made into a necklace for their son Etzio when he was born. (It would take a very high appraisal check for anyone to realize what it is)
2. Etzio had a happy, exciting life growing up on the road with the caravan. When he was young his telekenisis began to manifest itself, innocently in nature. Members of the caravan took delight in his exploits, telekinetic or otherwise.
3. He was most fond of the Dragonborn and Dwarves in the caravan, spent hours listening to stories and legends (and a few afternoons tormenting them and earning a few well deserved licks). There weren’t many other children among the caravan, so when he wasn’t minding his parents’ wares, he spent his time exploring the caravan, lending a hand where needed, and striking up conversations with elders. Other than his parents, he was closeset with Balasar, an elderly Dragonborn shaman/wizard who would tell him stories and read “Dragon’s Fire” (in reality, just a cantrip) to tell peoples “fortunes”
4. When he was 16, hard economic times hurt the caravan and a new leader was elected, an eladrin named Marceline Feywinter. She knew of Etzio’s powers and wanted to turn him into a degrading sideshow in order to bring in more money for the caravan. She put the screws to Abe and Abbie, and eventually kicked the family out of the caravan when they wouldn’t give in.
5. Ever since, they have resided in Baldur’s Gate; owning a fairly popular trade depot/café.
6. Etzio is 23, 4’ tall, 77 lbs, with long brown hair pulled back in a thick ponytail. He and his parents worship Oghma. And he is ready to get out on his own and see the world.
Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.
1. Etzio’s deepest desire, once his adventuring days are over with, is to sit down with a dragon and have a deep discussion about history, philosophy, etc.
2. More immediately, he wants to join up with, and lend his skills to an adventuring party seeking to right wrongs and find a place in the tales of old. (he’s a bit of an idealist)
3. I would like to see his ideals and naivete very upfontly and clearly shook (through loss, hardship, etc). He should remain true to them, but gain a stronger and more grounded sense of what it takes (and what it may cost) to be a true hero.
Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!
1. Etzio (in a lucid dream state) snuck back to the caravan after his family was kicked out and bore his way into Feywinter’s subconscious. There in a fit of rage he destroyed her super-ego.
2. On the eve of his family’s departure from the caravan, Balasar secretly read Dragon’s fire with regard to Etzio and foresaw an unknown redheaded woman (love interest) betraying Etzio when his need was dire and leaving him for dead.
Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you
1. Abe and Abbie Luomo. Etzio’s parents. Undyingly loving and supportive of their only son. They hid their own shady past in order to give him a chance at a good and honest life. They are still alive and reside in Baldur’s Gate running their café/trade depot. Abe and Abbie are still as spry as they were in their cat burgling days.
2. Balasar. Dragonborn shaman/wizard. Like a grandfather to Etzio. Fortune teller. Was still with the caravan the last time Etzio saw him, who knows where he is now…
3. Marceline Feywinter. She banished the Luomos from the trade caravan. Outwardly an incredibly cruel eladrin woman. However, in reality this is just Etzio’s biased memory of her. Times were tough and she was just doing whatever it took to protect and ensure the survival of her people (the caravan). She immediately regretted banishing the Luomos, but her scouts were unable to find them and bring them back because Abe and Abbie were too skilled at covering their tracks. Etzio (in a fit of adolescent rage) invaded her mind and destroyed the super-ego portion of her subconscious, leaving her irreparably changed for the worse…
Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
1: Rasa started life as an Angel of Vengeance (see Monster Manual) in service of Ioun named Vallan Tyreem.
2: Vallan was the fist of Ioun. No target ever escaped his wrath.
3: Vallan was also gifted with prophetic powers. One day he had a vision that was so horrible that it drove him utterly mad.
4: Ioun took pity on his servant and granted him a new life as a Deva, erasing all Vallan's memories of his past life as an angel.
5: Without any memories to draw on and awakening in a small temple of Ioun he named himself Rasa ('empty'). He still has visions of the future, especially during fights (reflecting the Avenger's Oath of Enmity power).
1: Rasa is very distant and introspective. He can be lost in thought for hours. It might be some work actually getting him to pay attention while he's in this state.
2: Rasa can not stand anyone keeping secrets from him. He will pursue the subject mercilessly. This could lead to some tension as he will not release the subject until he knows the truth, even if the other person is his close friend.
Reading through roughly 20 pages of fantastic characters helped me break writer's block for the epic tier campaign my group just started. This changling assassin would presumably get slapped upside the head for optimization (hence why stats and stuff aren' there), but our DM runs very little combat in his campaigns. Skills, knowledge as a player, and knowledge as a character make all the difference as to whether you have a great game run or get nuked by an Ancient Red Dragon on night one. In this case he wanted explanations of why we reached epic levels by the fourth campaign night. I can only hope to do a tenth as well as the material here with my first try, but let's give a try shall we? Please let me hear your thoughts, especially if there are ways to make it stab it til it gets better.
"Who am I at the moment? Well friend..." Stage 1, BackgroundShow
1) Haze is a ligatimate assassin and has been for his entire adult period of life. He knows nothing and cares nothing of his lineage (which has been confirmed as mere common blood). Childhood to adolescent memories have been purposefully erased to prevent accidental exposures that may potentially hinder his ability to 'do the job.' There is no memory of giving a portion of his soul to Shadowfell to become an Assassin. His primary way of marking a kill is the unique poison he injects into their systems, a corruption that kills no matter how resistent or immune the target is. Atop that, his poisons prevent the spirit from re-entering the body, thus making ressurection impossible. (DM permission giving, Poison titled: Queen's Calling)
2) Most changlings have a disguise, but Haze felt the need to go several steps further. The title Haze is in itself an acronym for each identity. At the price of his 'true face' he has mastered four seperate forms. This was achieved through mastering the books of alchemic alteration atop using a disguise kit (and of course his own abilities) to create 'perfect' hidden identities. The first face, Hans, is a warrior and actually appears as a changling with stone gray hair and pale gray eyes. This form rarely speaks and any interaction is normally cold. Despite the coldness, Hans is both loyal and honorable in and out of combat. Alan the friendly face, is a human male in his mid thirties with short dark brown hair. This form is one of the shapes that Haze will not commit assassinations in. He acts friendly and meak, hiding both his thought process and his attacks. If in a group setting Haze is forced to fight as Alan, he will purposefully hold back his real capabilities if not entirely hide any aid he provides. Zier is the alchemist, an elder Shadar'Kai shape with dark crimson streaked charcoal hair and velvet eyes. This face is one that is not shown or kept out while others are around though it has been used to impersonate 'artifact' salesmen. Zier represents the Poison Master within Haze. Elkantar would be the first 'face' that Haze created. This form is a middle aged drow with long braided white hair. This face is a ruthless killer and the first if not only publicily known incarnation of Haze. Elkantar is brutal but subtle, an evil selfish bastard that will not waste time bragging instead of acting. He was known for his use of light and heavy blades. These four 'blends' are not multiple personalities, but they do have individual mannerisms.
3) Haze prefers 'real jobs' of hard labor to either fighting or assassinations. Though the moral weight of killing is not a major burden, Haze humbly considers himself to be second rate at best. This perfectionist streak rises from one mistake he made when first utalizing poisons on a kill. This sometimes works against him as people hire him on as the lowest bidder.
4) Haze was a member of an Assassin's Guild known as the Red Ravens. This was where he spent his childhood to adult life training and perfecting his craft. It was also where he found his first group to go on 'adventures' with. That group wound up causing the guild's collapse and after this Haze subsequently murdered them to free himself from the guild's control.
5) The words 'unofficial retirement' summarize the state Haze is constantly in. For now he hides in the shell of Alan seeking manual labor jobs while trying to put more and more distance between himself and the empire he left. He is normally contracted either out of necessity or money. Though he keeps wondering how this happens, the reality is those who seek the Goddess of Death's guidance are led to him. Haze does not openly or privately worship the Raven Queen, despite having been chosen as her 'Perfect Slayer.' It is argued by her priests that Haze worships the Raven Queen in action rather then in words.
"Dreams often lead to the sin of pride, and goals without the knowledge of how to obtain what you seek are merely dreams." Stage 2 GoalsShow
1) Haze wants to be rid of the guilt he carries for (some) the assassinations he has done, specifically the princess he indirectly murdered to free an empire. The job and the riches have never given him true happiness.
2) Haze would also like to find his real face. As a changling and alchemist, Haze has not revealed or even seen his real appearance in so long that he has forgotten who he is. More importantly, he ties what he looks like to what his real emotions and goals would be. The guilt is merely something to be rid of, but the face is something to gain.
"Knowledge is something worth killing for... at least to some people." Stage 3 SecretsShow
1) (known) An entire empire owes its freedom to Haze and the 2nd group of he fell in with. He was hired on by Princess Ethara to end a corrupt Bishop's occupation of their capital, which he did at the cost of her and the rest of the group's lives. This happened roughly one year before the beginning of the campaign, where Haze has wandered far from that country.
2) The Raven Queen chose Haze upon the day he slew the bishop as her perfect slayer; a master assassin that would strike down mortal or god whom cheated death. Haze is at the moment blissfully unaware of this AND who she wills him to target.
3)Reserved for DM, (Presumably Haze cannot use the Changling Shift power like normal followed by whatever mean thing (I mean wonderful!) the DM has planned)
"Unfortunately, people in my posistion do not tend to have many living friends. Living foes are bad for business and thus I try not to keep them either." Stage 4 Allies and EnemiesShow
1) Shav'ar (Shadar kai assassin), Minerva (human warlock/sorceror), and Glorth (half orc Avenger) were Haze's first group that was trained and utalized by an elite Assassin's guild. They were happy with their lives and happy with their gold until a plot of demise came down from the guild leaders. In essence, the guild was doing a purge to keep the newbloods from becoming strong enough to overtake the old bloods. Shav'ar led the group in a tactical and brutal assassination of the guild heads. Haze helped under the promise that he could walk away a free man. However, Shav'ar along with Minerva and Glorth wanted to reform the guild. Haze wanted nothing to do with it, and mastered poisons to subtly remove the three threats.
2) Ethara was the name of the Princess that asked him to help free her country. Knowing what had happened to his guild over a power struggle, Haze refused until she swore her own life and the lives of her captains to free the people. After studying her to evaluate her trustworthiness, Haze left her Minerva's enhanced poisoned dagger that would poison the spirits of all related to the victim. Ethara used it to prevent obscure royalty from claiming the throne after her death, and left a will to establish a mixture of a democratic republic. It took years to build up to the assualt where Haze murdered the bishop and Ethara sacrificed herself. In that time Haze grew attached to Ethara, though he refused to act on those emotions.
3) Haze has found something close to kinship with the monk in his party, at least under the personality of Alan. Both are easy going but can focus on the task at hand. Thus far no one is exactly certain of what he can do, but it was revealed to the monk, rogue, and Kriv that Alan is capable enough in a fight. Ironically, both Haze and the monk serve the Goddess of Death without knowing it.
"Memories are best used to remind us where we have failed, to better us so that we do not fail again. Hopefully." Stage 5, MemoriesShow
1) The moment Ethara died is scared over Haze's mind Part of him wonders if what he felt for her was love, but the shroud of an assassin would never allow for the blessings of such emotions. When she passed, Shav'ar mistook his mixture of rage and anguish for weakness. His old partner quickly found that though Haze was emotionally crippled, his capabilities as a killer had not suffered. Haze killed Shav'ar in the form of Hans, then left to mourn Ethara. After her death, Alan seems to have become his dominate form in requiem for her kindness and honesty.
2) Haze used to genuinely enjoy the company of his first party, mostly because it was entertaining to watch them squabble with one another. However, he did not want to be tied down to them after the idea of a life free from guild control crossed him mind. In desperation, he unlocked one of the Guild's vaults and discovered a page from the Book of All Venoms. The joy that ran through his ice cold blood in that moment is possibly the purest thing he has ever felt. In that page lay the key to freedom. After using the knowledge he gained, Haze could not bring himself to grow close to others.
3) Though he has no memory of his parents, Haze does remember that after being taken to the Assassin's guild, he was given a teacher who bore the name "Humble." That teacher taught Haze that a smile and clever disgues were the key components to stealth. Being successful and not dependent upon just the expected tools of an assassin would help keep Haze alive. Haze privately suspects his master survived the guild implosion, but out of respect has never followed up on that suspicion.