I've been collecting the guild leaders of the Return to Ravnica block (just for collection purposes) and I only have two left to go. While trying to come up with a deck idea using Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
, the thought occurred to me that I have a lot of guild leaders that aren't doing anything right now. I didn't feel quite adventurous enough to go in for all five colors, but I think four could work well given my current mana base.
I'll note early here that I don't plan on this deck being competitive in the conventional sense. There are plenty of free Standard tournaments in my area that I can run a deck like this at and not worry about blowing off tourney fees. I don't like going 0-4, however, which is why I'm bringing this here. If I can move it into a deck that should get 1-3 or 2-2 reliably I'll be happy.
2 Watery Grave Drowned Catacomb
2 Steam Vents Sulfur Falls
2 Breeding Pool Hinterland Harbor
2 Blood Crypt Dragonskull Summit
3 Overgrown Tomb Stomping Ground
2 Rootbound Crag
Creatures: Lazav, Dimir Mastermind Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius Prime Speaker Zegana Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord Rakdos, Lord of Riots Borborygmos Enraged
4 Deadbridge Goliath
4 Arbor Elf
(I've been looking for someplace to play my promo copy!)
Obviously the deck isn't done yet. This is what I'm thinking of as the core. The mana base has 14 green sources and 9 for each other color, so I'm counting on the mana dorks (11 of my green sources are Forests) and Farseek
to get me off the ground. I'm not sure yet whether I'll have to put in more mana acceleration to get this going quickly enough. Verdant Haven
is a bit slow for acceleration, but performs marvellously with Arbor Elf
. It's starting to look likely that I'll run some Jarad's Orders
in order to search for my guild leaders and pitch a Deadbridge Goliath
Other spells I pulled out for consideration: (# of copies omitted) Chandra, the Firebrand
- would need more instants/sorceries to justify her and that might be a stretch. Possibly she is sideboard material. Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker Staff of Nin Abrupt Decay Moldgraf Monstrosity Fathom Mage Sever the Bloodline
- doesn't jive well with Lazav though. Mercurial Chemister Guild Feud Carnival Hellsteed Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
- I think he's unlikely at this point, but I still want to run him sometime Bloodline Keeper Unexpected Results Hypersonic Dragon Izzet Charm Wolfir Avenger Treasured Find Dimir Charm
- I'm a bit excited about using this card. The third mode should help Lazav find critters in the opponent's deck to transform into or help my deck grow Jarad and/or find more guild leaders. Also removal or sorcery countering in a pinch (most board wipes are sorceries, so this goes well) Urban Evolution Alpha Authority Triumph of Ferocity Tracker's Instincts Rise from the Grave Soul of the Harvest Harvester of Souls Xathrid Gorgon Consuming Aberration Bonfire of the Damned
Obviously I'm not going to run all of those, and some didn't really look like they'll work as I wrote this out. I'm still brainstorming at this point, however. Maybe if I ran some reanimator spells and used Jarad's Orders
to pitch a guild leader into the graveyard instead of the easier-to-cast Deadbridge Goliath
, with the intent to have them change places as the game went on?
It's a bit unfortunate that the different guild leaders want to pull the deck in different directions, but I don't think unsolvably so: Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
- want he really wants is to mill the opponent. If he can't do that, removal or combat dominance could still work for him. He's a good target for +1/+1 counters if nothing else. Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
- should work fine as long as I can get him out & have mana available for zapping stuff. Yay card draw! Prime Speaker Zegana
- She wants big creatures to be out on the field when she makes landfall (and is actually kind of an obvious sacrifice target for Jarad since she is just a generic fatty after she lands) Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
- He likes big creature buddies and creatures in my graveyard Rakdos, Lord of Riots
- He needs the opponents to lose life & might be the hardest one to cast Borborygmos Enraged
- He doesn't really care what anyone else is doing, as long as he gets to attack at some point. Edit: Actually, his land toss ability likes the card drawing on Zegana and Niv-Mizzet just fine now that I think about it.
Overall, I think most of the guild leader themes will work if I'm running big creatures and I get them out quickly enough. Fortunately I'm already sporting a midrange-esque mana base, so that should work out.
Any ideas on how I can bend this monstrosity into a 2-2 or 1-3 quality decklist?
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.