I don't feel like injecting myself into any of the debates going on here, but I had some free time so I figured I'd throw out my analysis of the set.
My initial rankings are as follows:
1. Black - Its creature base is lacking somewhat especially evasion, but its removal is in my opinion best of the set, it also has lots of efficiency going for it.
2. Red - Second best in removal, Solid creature base, relatively efficient with some decent flyers.
3. White - About what you'd expect in white, some solid bodies, solid removal, and some of the best bombs.
4. Blue - I think its removal is better than normal, especially its counter magic. But switcheroo is no mind control, which really hurts.
5. Green - Mostly stuff we've seen before, and only rancor and prey upon really seems like a good non-rare reprint for green. Just overall disappointing to me for limited purposes.
My favorite new Non-rares in the set for limited: Timberpack Wolf
- A bear/rat hybrid that only affects yours? Sign me up. Ranger's Path
- Effectively 2 rampant growths in 1 card, even without giving fixing I'm playing this if I'm green. Fungal Sprouting
- If you can manage a couple of these with the new overrun, you should win some games Flames of the firebrand
- These will be first picked a lot obviously. Reckless Brute
- All he has to do is hit once and trade with something next turn, which he should do more often than not. Chandra's Fury
- 5 mana is a lot, but the value is definitely there, especially at instant speed. Vile Rebirth
- A 2/2 for 1 at instant speed that has some utility in a color with plenty of removal. Will be most fun when played in response to someone else's cast of it. Murder
- These will be first picked a lot obviously. Liliana's Shade
- Looming shade was playable, this costs a B more and gives a swamp pretty solid. Mind Sculpt
- A play set of these is lethal to a 40 card deck on turn 5(assuming no mulligans). Arctic Aven
- I think this one has been pretty well covered Talrand's Invocation
- 4 flying power for 4 mana on 2 bodies, well worth it. Ajani's Sunstriker
- A very solid bear. Attended Knight
- A poor man's blade splicer at common. Healer of the Pride
- Lifegain that I think can come close to the level of Fangren Marauder
, unfortunately not nearly as strong a body though.
Cards that I think will be drafted earlier than they should:
Pretty much any non-rare/mythic with exalted - Almost no hexproof and lots of instant speed removal make it an unreliable strategy Battleflight Eagle
- If it had haste or flash I would be fine with it, as it stands its a 2/2 flier for 5 with a marginal etb War Falcon
- it looks really really good, but I don't like that there are only three 2-drops that activate it, only 1 thats common, and it doesn't seem that relevant if its not swinging in until turn 3 or 4 Augur of Bolas
- Reminds me of delver, who as I recall was pretty bad in limited because good limited decks usually don't play more than 5 instants or sorceries so his etb will miss more often than not. It could see some use in mill decks or very dedicated control, but its more important to be picking up mind sculpts and removal cards first. Switcheroo
- Requires having creatures in the first place, and can be countered by killing the target you control effectively 2 for 1ing. A farcry from mind control. Tricks of the Trade
- If your opponent doesn't have removal this will work out amazingly, but its still an aura in a removal heavy set. Mark of the Vampire
- See above Veilborn Ghoul
- Its strong don't get me wrong, but not being able to block holds this thing back significantly more than people will realize initially. Blood reckoning
- I just plain don't like the effect at the cost, and will likely never play it, even if I get it. Cleaver Riot
- The set has fog and safe passage, so even if it manages to work the first time, it is easily sided against. But kinda like the auras mentioned above, it will work sometimes and look better than it really is. Rummaging Goblin
- Another that's still good, just not as good as where I think it will be taken early on. Serpent's Gift
- I can see some people thinking of this as removal somehow and taking it middle of a pack, to me it seems like something that should be almost last picked. Mwonvuli Tracker Beast
- If you got a bomb he can search for great, take him, if you don't he's a 3 mana 2/1 that doesn't replace himself. Yeva's Forcemage
- Its better than battleflight eagle, but I still wouldn't value it much higher than other grey ogres.
Edited for Autocard.