This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
How on earth did they forget to put the Vensor, The Sojourner into this? He is blue white and does exactly what the deck want's many of its cards to do! I realize they put his creature card in, but why not run both with a deck theme this strongly related?
You forgot the Synod Sanctum step in between. Also, "we're building this for fun and not for power" and the whole "let's add Batterskull and Swords because we can" kind of contradict.
May I suggest Voyager Staff? Plus the several wonderful ETB creatures that all you to return an artifact from the GY to hand, including Sun Titan? I've also used it in casual multiplayer games for retargetting Stuffy Doll after an opponent is killed off (RU fabricate/tinker version)
I'm also using it to develop a dastardly Archenemy deck. GWu Astral Slide with Terastadon, Sun Titan, Voyager Staff, Fiend Hunter, Wall of Blossoms, Carven Caratid, plus a bunch of cycling. Going to splash blue for (can't remember the name) the instant that bounces all creatures with the same name. Adios 3/3 Elephant tokens! Plus, I need to look through this list...I bet there are a few gems in there for my deck as well.
Ooh, I love Sundering Titan. Especially on Safe Haven, with a Crucible of Worlds. Every turn, 2 mana nuke some basics?
Can we just rename this column "Commander" and call it like it is?
Don't get me wrong; I love Adam Styborski's articles. I play mostly casual Magic, so this column falls under my interests. I occasionally take a swing at FNM, pre-releases, and other tournament style events, but mostly, I play casual.
I do have a few Commander decks, so it's fun to sometimes read about other Commander decks. But I also love Planechase; and Archenemy; and Horde Magic; and Planar Invaders (the combination of Planechase and Archenemy); and The Eternities Map; and Two-Headed Giant; and Star Duels; and Cube; and all kinds of other casual gameplay ideas. The pauper cube article last week was a great article. In fact, I think an article about playing pauper decks (whether that be Cube, or block constructed, or whatever) would be a great read. Pauper block constructed seems just restricting enough to be challenging without being impossible.
Prior to checking the facts, I estimated that approximately 80% of the articles that Stybs writes are about Commander, and the other formats/variants/ideas are relegated to the other 20%. Actually looking at the articles for the past couple of months, I'd probably knock that number down to 50% Commander, 50% other. Some of those Commander articles are mixed in with others (For instance, the Stybs plays Horde magic using a Commander deck, so that article hits both casual variants.
Given the updated estimate, I'd say that it's a bit much to accuse Adam of catering mostly to Commander players, but I still think he writes about Commander more often than I'd like. Granted, I know that he's writing for a wide audience and not just myself. I know that he has expectations to meet from Wizards of the Coast and other players, but I'd wager that I'm not the only one who'd like to see a little more variety in his articles.
Okay, setting that aside, I still think the article was interesting. It sounds like a fun deck to play, and you picked a great commander for such a deck (in general, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV is a great commander). I've been meaning to build a W/U "flicker" deck around cards like Mistmeadow Witch , Turn to Mist , and Momentary Blink , but I had intended it to be a typical 60-card deck. Perhaps I'll give the Commander version a go.
Post Your Reply
Please login to post a reply.