Magic and Chaos
- The basic assumption is: magic is powerful but dangerous to handle.
- As fighting implies an Attack Roll that give some unpredictability to the attack, casting a spell implies a Casting Roll for the same reason.
- The difference is that magic is more unpredictable than a sword.
- Of course this spell system adds complexity, but is just an optional module.
- Every spell description in the rule book, should provide an Extra Effect (normally triggered on a 20) and a Fail Effect (normally triggered on a 1).
- Extra and Fail effects give variety and unpredictability, in positive and "negative", to the gameplay.
- Extra Effects are in addition to the normal spell effect.
- Fail Effects are in substitution to the normal spell effect.
- Eg. Arc Lightning.