The Swordmage is a Favorite Class of Mine in some ways I like the default flavor of its powers so much it can make thinking of variants difficult but lets have a shot at breaking those imagination barriers? (contributions welcome)
Reflavoring has many reasons one is to help make individual characters more unique but also they can be used situationally ( ..splintered blade flavor effect below used in a rocky scene seems more authentic than in rolling meadow ) and some times the spam effect needs to be actively fought (so at-wills get special attention). See also Fighters: Reskinning on the Fly
- Spinning blades of force appear around me doing my will my sword aimed high at the sky
- The Splintered Blade I attack at first seeming to miss but the weapon strikes a hard surface near by and splinters into a conflageration of shards which still bonded to my mind I slash my enemies with (this can be done multiple rounds in a row as though a persistant effect.
- We attack in unison from many close and adjacent planes of existance echos of me not really solid but not eithereal either there blades kill just fine..
Green Flame Blade
- Heated Steel - the splashing blood from wounds it creates even the shallow kind is itself supernaturally hot.
- Heat waves radiate from the target on a hit
- Splashing Flames - the fire doesnt cling that tightly to the blade and that is actually an advantage
- Sympathetic Ignition - The pyromancy travels across the mystic links between my enemy and his allies blaze forth and perhaps someday I will learn how to make it travel farther.
- Electrokineses - a telekinetic effect operating on electrons I am pulling the target to me the electrons slipping off are accidental even if potentially fatal to the target, perhaps I will be able to do it someday without damaging what I move
- An indirect hit - Pulling the lightning from the sky is still useful even if most of the time I over shoot... sure comes in handy when they get slammed back towards me
- Heat wave from another era - there used to be a fire here can you feel it
- Surging Vengeance Leap. (Aegis of Assault).
- The man is what matters (Sword Burst) Whirling like a dancer the moves are entirely mine the weapon truly becomes an adjunct far less significant in this context- my teacher said this is the ultimate in the sword mages art as at the most fundamental we are the true seat of power --> might also be called a True Cleaving (especially if against a bunch of minions)
- Smashing En Passant (Luring Strike), I dive forward and past smashing my enemy as I pass with a nasty blow which staggers them back in to the position I just left.
- Certain Riposte or a Disrupting Riposte (Sword of Sigils) the latter name is for the shielding types.
Some consider energy themes (re-energizing) may seem an unimaginative theme but it can involve some very interesting reflavoring.
Energy Type Variants which follow involve Re-energizing at time you take the power ask DMs permission
- Electro Blade (Green Flame Blade ) - electro static discharges to enemies adjacent your target.
- Discharge field or after shocks (Frigid blade) - the ion field hangs around for a while after the attack and messes with there nerves if they stick around.
- Lighting Forks (Frost Wind Blade) - Bridging the gap to an earlier target
- Dimensional Bleed Off (Dimensional Thunder) - just about any energy form could end up bleeding through when you smash through the planar barriers sound and heat are common but it probably isnt a coincidence the paths my power take me through bleed lightning.
- Blizzard Breeze (lightning lure) - Wind and Ice hurt and bring them to me.
- Crystalized Shield (sword burst) - my suddenly expanding shield already made of ice shatters into crystaline form cutting enemies exactly as I planned.
Coherent Shadow Flavor - character