DA's Devious Designs

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
A long time ago, I was drawn to the Magic boards by the YMtC forum. Now, three years later, I frequent several different forums here, but every once in a while I get the urge to return to my roots and I go on a card-designing rampage. With summer fast approaching, along with the prospect of oodles of free time, I'm hoping to design a lot of cards and (hopefully) become a better designer by getting feedback from all of you. I'll start with 2 cards, the first of which I think is simple but elegant, and the second is a bit more interesting.

Mischievous Pixies
Creature - Faerie
Flying
Sacrifice Mischievous Pixies: Until end of turn, permanents come into play tapped.
1/1

Destructive Artificer
Artifact Creature - Mech
, : Put a colorless Bomb artifact token into play.
, Sacrifice a Bomb: Destructive Artificer deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
1/1
I think I remember you.
i like the first one.

compare the second one to aladdin's ring to see how far off the costing is.
You guys are such noobs and scrubs when it comes to designing cards. All of you. In fact I won't exaggerate If I say I'm the best designer in the forum. Hell, I'm probably a better designer than WotC themselves. I'm easily the best designer in the world and you're all n00bs for not seeing that. All of you are black-listed. -kroen [UCC #2] The Unanimous Card Contest [Signups] This is a very unique contest, that could, theoretically, last months before a winner is declared. Black List The following users are banned from the contest and may not participate: Everyone -kroen
Destructive Artificer
Artifact Creature - Mech
, : Put a colorless Bomb artifact token into play.
, Sacrifice a Bomb: Destructive Artificer deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
1/1

This needs in one of its costs, probably the last one.

I think this would be fine if the bomb did 2 damage, like a Seal of Fire or Pyrite Spellbomb variant or you could keep it as three if the second activated ability also had a in the mana cost.
I think I remember you.

I think I was in one of your contests. Or maybe yours was the one I helped judge... *shrug*
This needs in one of its costs, probably the last one.

I think this would be fine if the bomb did 2 damage, like a Seal of Fire or Pyrite Spellbomb variant or you could keep it as three if the second activated ability also had a in the mana cost.

The card's original design required you to tap for both abilities, but I wasn't sure if 3 damage every other turn was too weak. Thinking about it again now, I think you're right and I should have kept it as is. I'll update it.
As for the lack of in the cost, I want the flavor of the card to be that it is a machine operating another machine without the use of magic. The use of colored mana, to me, implies a use of red magic to power the machine. This is actually only one card in a cycle. Perhaps I will post the others as the next cards here.

EDIT: Changed it slightly, so the first ability costs 1 more and the second ability has no mana cost. I think this is more flavorful, and allows for slightly better synergy with cards like Magewright's Stone.
I said I'd post the rest of the cycle, and here it is.
Obvious Cards are Obvious
Curious Artificer
, : Put a colorless Scroll artifact token into play.
, Sacrifice a Scroll: Draw a card.
1/1

Nature's Artificer
, : Put a colorless Seed artifact token into play.
, Sacrifice a Seed: Search your library for a basic land card and put that card into play tapped.
1/1

Summoning Artificer
, : Put a colorless Pod artifact token into play.
, Sacrifice a Pod: Put a 3/3 colorless Construct artifact creature token into play.
1/1

Does it feel weird that this cycle has 2 "green" abilities and no "black" or "white" abilities?

And the kicker:

LEX-438, Artificer Tyrant
Legendary Artifact Creature - Mech
Sacrifice a noncreature artifact: Put a +1/+1 counter on LEX-438, Artificer Tyrant and it gains your choice of flying, first strike, trample, or haste. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
4/4

Flavor and Picture
LEX is given a serial number instead of a name to ephasize that this is a machine that was most likely built by other machines but used its AI to overpower the other Mechs (also the name looks really cool on a card). While other Mechs generally construct artifacts for uses beneficial to the "community," LEX uses whatever artifacts it deems necessary to build onto its own massive body, and it does so with very little effort.
IMAGE(http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/DarkAvatar1018/LEX-438ArtificerTyrant.jpg)
Here are two cards that stemmed from the same concept, but turned into almost exact opposites. I'm not entirely sure on the wording, so some help there would be appreciated. I finally decided to learn how to put card images on here, so there are pictures to go along with them. :D

IMAGE(http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/DarkAvatar1018/Aleatory.jpg)

Aleatory
Enchantment
If a spell or ability would affect a permanent without targetting it, that spell or ability affects a random permanent it can affect instead.

IMAGE(http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/DarkAvatar1018/AstarothsBindings-1.jpg)

Astaroth's Binding
Enchantment
All noncreature spells have "As an additional cost to play this spell, choose target creature."
@Astaroth's Binding: Works fine with instants and sorceries, to my knowledge, but not with creatures, artifacts and enchantments. Why not "Spells have 'As an additional cost to play this, choose target creature'"? Heck, why not just keep it simple and have it say "If there are no creatures in play, players can't play spells." It's functionally identical as far as I can tell, barring creatures with shroud. Though I'd only have it work on noncreatures, since otherwise a wrath completely locks the game.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
@Astaroth's Binding: Works fine with instants and sorceries, to my knowledge, but not with creatures, artifacts and enchantments. Why not "Spells have 'As an additional cost to play this, choose target creature'"?

That makes sense. I will update the wording.
Heck, why not just keep it simple and have it say "If there are no creatures in play, players can't play spells." It's functionally identical as far as I can tell, barring creatures with shroud.

You answered your own question. I want it to have interactions with shroud creatures, or things like Kira, Great Glass-Spinner. I think it would make for more creative deck building.
Though I'd only have it work on noncreatures, since otherwise a wrath completely locks the game.

Oops. Good call.
I preffer the "Spells have 'As an additional cost to play this, choose target creature" wording too.

Maybe limit to a creature you don't control?
You answered your own question. I want it to have interactions with shroud creatures, or things like Kira, Great Glass-Spinner. I think it would make for more creative deck building.

Fair enough. I personally think that the current wording is a bit confusing to newer players and that the cute interaction with shroud creatures isn't worth the trouble. I'd recomend at least adding some reminder text, like "If you can't, you can't play the spell". That's kind of bad, but you get the idea.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Fair enough. I personally think that the current wording is a bit confusing to newer players and that the cute interaction with shroud creatures isn't worth the trouble. I'd recomend at least adding some reminder text, like "If you can't, you can't play the spell". That's kind of bad, but you get the idea.

Ugh, I hate redundant reminder text (like what I used for LEX ), but I understand your point. I know I want to keep the current wording because it does offer some fun ideas, like using Horobi, Death's Wail + Shimmering Wings to nuke your opponent's board.

EDIT: Ok, so Shimmering Wings wouldn't work...but something that can bounce itself would do the trick. Broken Fall? :D
I wasn't going to post this card until tomorrow, but I want to do it while I'm thinking about how to word the change in rules that goes along with it, otherwise, I'm bound to forget.

Notice of change in Comprehensive Rules:
212.6k If a land has a mana cost, treat that land as though it says "As an additional cost to play this card, pay its mana cost."

The concept is easy enough to understand, because all players, both new and old, understand that if a card has a mana cost, that is what you must pay to play that card. But functionally, to play a land you put it into play, and putting something into play never requires paying a mana cost (unless instructed to do so). So without some kind of rules change, lands with mana costs can't exist. (Note this is not a real change in the rules, but I'd imagine this is how it would be worded if they were to ever create lands with mana costs.) Anyway, card time!

IMAGE(http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/DarkAvatar1018/BlastingCloudscape-2.jpg)

Blasting Cloudscape
Land
(As an additional cost to play Blasting Cloudscape, pay .)
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Destroy target artifact.
, : Destroy target enchantment.
Since it counts as your land drop it may be able to cost less, but I don't know enough about tempo and blahdy blah so yeah...
Why do you even need a mana cost on this?

Just increase the cost of the activated abilities by 1/2.
Why do you even need a mana cost on this?

Just increase the cost of the activated abilities by 1/2.

Well this brings me to my philosophy on lands with mana costs, so if any of you don't care to read it, just skip this post. :D

Mana Cost Lands Philosophy
Land destruction has never been a necessity. LD is a novely or theme only seen in a small percentage of decks. This makes lands that have an impact on the game, even a small one, very powerful. Some obvious examples are Library of Alexandria, Bazaar of Baghdad, and Strip Mine. While none of those have mana costs, they do have other restrictions/disadvantages. Mouth of Ronom is a good example of a land that can have an impact on the game, and its ability effectively costs 6 and requires you to sacrifice it. Another, Boseiju, Who Shelters All, comes into play tapped, is legendary, and causes you to lose life even if you're not using its mana ability for the extra effect. These lands must be designed with noticeable drawbacks or built-in sacrifice costs in order to be balanced. But we still use them because we know that 99% of the time we will be able to use their abilities, because LD isn't prevalent enough to be an issue. Also, most of the time we are not losing tempo by playing them, because they can still tap for mana until we need to use them (Bazaar and similar lands as the obvious exception). So what if a land did something more? What if its abilities didn't have a big drawback/restriction and didn't require you to sac it? How could those lands ever be balanced? The most obvious way I can see is hefty tempo loss. If Blasting Cloudscape had no mana cost, every single red deck and every single white deck would play it, because it would be useful so often and you lose almost nothing by playing it as your land drop. However, with the mana cost, the land loses that power level. A deck playing this land must be both red and white and must have access to both colors before they can even play this land. Then, they must pay to even make the land drop, meaning that the land usually won't be played until turn 4 at the price of tempo loss. At that point the player is having to decide if they want to play another land and a 4-drop, or if they want to play this so they can deal with that pesky artifact the next turn. Without the mana cost, they could play this and the 4-drop and still deal with the artifact next turn. So why not just have it come into play tapped? Well, then you wouldn't have the option of playing this and activating it in the same turn for super surprise action (for the small cost of ). The last point I want to make is about this card specifically. Repeatable artifact/enchantment destruction with mana as the only cost is very rare. The only cards that come to mind are Viashino Heretic and Ethersworn Adjudicator, although there are probably more. For such a strong effect to be on a card type that players rarely play answers to seems very strong. I was actually worried that this card may still be too strong even with the mana cost.

Wow, I talk a lot. I hope that made sense, and if it didn't I apologize to anyone who took the time to read it. :P In a nutshell, I think the card would be too powerful without a mana cost, even if its abilities cost 5 or 6. Imagine if Mouth of Ronom didn't require you to sac it.
so instead of having to invent a new philosophy on lands, why not just do this

Blasting Cloudscape -
Artifact
When ~ comes into play, return a land to your hand or sacrifice it.
, : Destroy target artifact.
, : Destroy target enchantment.
You guys are such noobs and scrubs when it comes to designing cards. All of you. In fact I won't exaggerate If I say I'm the best designer in the forum. Hell, I'm probably a better designer than WotC themselves. I'm easily the best designer in the world and you're all n00bs for not seeing that. All of you are black-listed. -kroen [UCC #2] The Unanimous Card Contest [Signups] This is a very unique contest, that could, theoretically, last months before a winner is declared. Black List The following users are banned from the contest and may not participate: Everyone -kroen
I don't think the additional cost of returning a land is necessary. I think it's balanced enough with just the mana cost.
Well now that the cat's out of the bag, these cards will make sense.

IMAGE(http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/DarkAvatar1018/RainofMeteors.jpg)

Rain of Meteors
Sorcery
Destroy each nonbasic land with converted mana cost X or less.

IMAGE(http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/DarkAvatar1018/GuardiansofParadise-1.jpg)

Guardians of Paradise
Creature - Cleric
Whenever a land is put into your graveyard from play, you may pay , where X is that land's converted mana cost. If you do, return that card to your hand at end of turn.
1/3
I don't think the additional cost of returning a land is necessary. I think it's balanced enough with just the mana cost.

not sure you noticed i just made it an artifact. there's really no reason to make it a land that costs mana instead of an artifact.
not sure you noticed i just made it an artifact. there's really no reason to make it a land that costs mana instead of an artifact.

Oh, I did not notice that. Being a land is part of the flavor of the card. Obviously artifacts and lands are completely different, not only in flavor but in gameplay as well. There are a lot of reasons, but at the core of it all, lands can't be countered and can't be destroyed by Shattering Pulse, and artifacts aren't limited to one a turn and can't be destroyed by Stone Rain. Also, colored artifacts are so last block. :D
i know artifacts and lands are different, but that's my point. you're making lands that work exactly like artifacts, something that the magic design team consciously avoids. you'd also have to address whether a land that costs mana uses the stack (which you implied it doesn't). in that case, it seems like there's no reason to just say "when ~ comes into play, pay 1RW or sacrifice ~."
to destroy all (most) nonbasic lands? Doesn't seem right to me, very aggressively costed.
i know artifacts and lands are different, but that's my point. you're making lands that work exactly like artifacts, something that the magic design team consciously avoids. you'd also have to address whether a land that costs mana uses the stack (which you implied it doesn't). in that case, it seems like there's no reason to just say "when ~ comes into play, pay 1RW or sacrifice ~."

Because you could then play the land, and with the triggered ability on the stack you could tap it for mana or play its ability before sacrificing it. That's why Rupture Spire comes into play tapped. Sure I could add even more rules text to prevent players from doing that, but by then I have so much text on the land that having a mana cost would just be easier.

Lands never use the stack, so there's no need to address that rule unless I wanted to change it. And lands have done more than tap for mana in the past. They can destroy things, draw you cards, deal damage, make tokens. All things that every other permanent type can do as well, so I'm not doing anything revolutionary here other than the mana cost.
to destroy all (most) nonbasic lands? Doesn't seem right to me, very aggressively costed.

Ruination. The specific mana requirement of this card can allow it to cost 1 less I think.
lands don't use the stack because they've never had mana costs. you add something that lands have never had (mana cost) and yes, there will need to be a rules clarification.

but whatever, i told you its not good design but theres nothing stopping you from doing it so theres no point in going into this any further.
lands don't use the stack because they've never had mana costs. you add something that lands have never had (mana cost) and yes, there will need to be a rules clarification.

but whatever, i told you its not good design but theres nothing stopping you from doing it so theres no point in going into this any further.

True, but I do have to point out one thing.
212.6a Playing a land card is a special action (see 408.2d). To play a land card, the player simply puts it into play. The land card doesn't go on the stack, and is never a spell, so players can't respond to it with instants or activated abilities.

Simply giving a land a mana cost will not debunk this rule. And I already addressed the problem with the first part of the rule with the new rule I proposed.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and critiques on my cards, but don't say they are designed poorly simply because you don't agree with the innovations I've made. While lands with mana costs may not feel flavorful to you, this is a design space I want to delve into. If you have a suggestion for making them more functional other than "don't do it" I'm all ears.
In my set, Golmeia, it focused on super types, enchnatment creatures, land creatures and the like.

For land creatures, i just came up w/

"When you play ~, sacrifice it unless you pay cost." hope that helps.
In my set, Golmeia, it focused on super types, enchnatment creatures, land creatures and the like.

For land creatures, i just came up w/

"When you play ~, sacrifice it unless you pay cost." hope that helps.

That works with land creatures, since they can't tap the turn they come into play anyway, but with normal lands there's still the issue of tapping them for mana with the sacrifice trigger on the stack. But your wording does give me the idea to maybe use,

"As an additional cost to play , pay . If you don't, put it into your graveyard instead of into play."

If I find out that mana costs don't work, I may have to play around with that wording a bit. Anyway, stepping away from lands for a bit, I now submit a legend whose blood runs and .

IMAGE(http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/DarkAvatar1018/AstarothSpellshaperProdigy-1.jpg)

Astaroth, Spellshaper Prodigy
Legendary Creature - Human Spellshaper
Flying
Whenever a player plays an instant or sorcery spell, that player may return target nonland permanent to its owner’s hand.
Whenever another creature comes into play, that creature’s controller may destroy target nonblack creature.
2/4

Is the uncounterable bounce too powerful?
highly coincidental and relevant article on daily mtg. they considered mana costed lands for ARB, here's some explanation of why they did not. not saying this to rehash the mana land discussion, just thought its interesting that we'd see an article about this while it was brought up here.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/39

On almost all Magic cards, the color of a card is defined by its mana cost. This is something that lands simply do not have. Magic Online dataminer and Magic templating team member Lee Sharpe suggested that we try writing a mana cost in the upper right hand corner of a land, which could be played either using the once per turn land drop or by paying the mana cost. I liked this idea a lot in the moment, so I shopped it around to various people. Unfortunately, every time I showed my land-with-a-mana-cost to anyone not working on Alara Reborn, they assumed that to play it they would need to both spend the mana cost and use their turn's land drop. I returned from that quest to discover rules manager Mark Gottlieb asking some disquieting questions. Would lands with a mana cost use the stack? How can some things with mana costs use the stack and some not use the stack? How can some lands use the stack and other lands not use the stack? Between the confusion and the rules issues, this idea was just not going to work.

highly coincidental and relevant article on daily mtg. they considered mana costed lands for ARB, here's some explanation of why they did not. not saying this to rehash the mana land discussion, just thought its interesting that we'd see an article about this while it was brought up here.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/39

Wow, that is strangely relevant. It kinda makes me sad that they've thrown the idea out the window, cause I was hoping for some lands with mana costs in the next block. Maybe someday the rules will allow for such a thing to exist. For now, they will just have to exist on the YMtC forums. I think what I'm going to do is include reminder text on all my mana cost lands so there's no confusion (in my mind at least) in how they function. Thanks for the link!
Why is it a spellshaper prodigy if it's not a spellshaper?
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Why is it a spellshaper prodigy if it's not a spellshaper?

I thought about that too. In the end I chose Wizard...I'm not entirely sure why anymore. But if it feels awkward to the community as well then that confirms I made the wrong choice.
I thought about that too. In the end I chose Wizard...I'm not entirely sure why anymore. But if it feels awkward to the community as well then that confirms I made the wrong choice.

Just change the name. It doesn't have a spellshaper ability, anyway.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Just change the name. It doesn't have a spellshaper ability, anyway.

Oh yeah! I didn't make him a spellshaper because he doesn't discard cards to play an ability, a characteristic of all spellshapers. However, I feel as though he's still "shaping" spells by drawing power from the aether to add effects to those spells. Hmm, I'll have to think on a name that maintains this flavor.
, Transfigurator of Reality!!!!!!!!!;)
Or just..Ridged Kusite.:P
This card just came to me. The reminder text should probably just be the rules text, but I like the sound of the rules text instead. :D

IMAGE(http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/DarkAvatar1018/CherishedDreams-1.jpg)

Cherished Dreams
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Player
When Cherished Dreams comes into play, if enchanted player has no cards in hand, that player draws a card.
Enchanted player has a minimum hand size of one. (That player cannot perform any action that would reduce his or her hand size to less than one, including playing or discarding the last card in his or her hand.)
A few simple commons:

Utopian Blessing
Instant
Target creature gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
Draw a card.

Sudden Denial
Instant
Counter target spell that was played any time a sorcery couldn't have been played.

Hell's Edict
Sorcery
Target player sacrifices a nonblack creature. If that player can't, he or she sacrifices two creatures instead.
Cherished Dreams
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Player
When Cherished Dreams comes into play, if enchanted player has no cards in hand, that player draws a card.
Enchanted player has a minimum hand size of one. (That player cannot perform any action that would reduce his or her hand size to less than one, including playing, cycling, or discarding the last card in his or her hand.)

That's cool. I think I made a card somewhat similar to this once.
That's cool. I think I made a card somewhat similar to this once.

Glad you like it. I think it's interesting design space that I may use later. Next, we have a couple lands that I particularly like.

IMAGE(http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/DarkAvatar1018/FloweringGarden.jpg)

Flowering Garden
Land
, Sacrifice Flowering Garden: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
When you play a land, you may return Flowering Garden from your graveyard to your hand.

IMAGE(http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/DarkAvatar1018/FertileLandscape.jpg)

Fertile Landscape
Land
Activated abilities of lands you control cost less to play.
That sac and recurring land is combo-lishous! I love it.
Thanks Skyshroud. I like that one a lot too. If anyone has more comments on these lands, I'd like to hear them. But I'll go ahead and post a few more cards. These are 3 of a 5-card cycle of legendary Avatars. I think I posted them on the boards once before, but 4 of the 5 have changed pretty drastically since then. I will post the other 2 after a while (aka when I find art for them).

Legendary Creature - Avatar
Fear
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on Avatar of Doom.
When Avatar of Doom deals combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices a permanent for each -1/-1 counter on Avatar of Doom.
5/5

Flying, vigilance, lifelink
Whenever you gain life, you may put a +1/+1 counter on Avatar of Faith.
4/4

Haste
When Avatar of Violence attacks, defending player may put a creature card from his or her hand into play. If he or she does, that creature blocks Avatar of Violence this turn if able.
6/6
Sign In to post comments