Pietro's CardThread

957 posts / 0 new
Last post
So apparently I'm opening a CardThread, like the many that infest this thread. I never thought that I would, but then Alara Reborn was spoiled.

Huh?

Well, I make cards at all times, and I have for the best part of two years now. Sometimes I invent new cards, other times I tinker with my creations, but in every case I keep them all locked in my head, following the "I Might Need It Later" principle. Just in case there's a contest, or the design team all suddenly fall ill and I'm called to invent "Prosper".

But now WotC have been beating me to the punch. A card and a mechanic set to appear in Alara Reborn bear striking resemblance to cards I made in my mental wanderings; if I used them now, I'd just be accused of copying. So I've decided to put down in writing my creations, so when the moment comes I'll be able to say: "WotC copied me lolololol!!!!1".

Comment on cards if you want, feedback will only make me stronger (Unless it kills me. You know what they say about that).
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
I'll kick things off with the cards that prompted me to make this thread:

Mechanic: Erratic
I'm not gonna write down the mechanic it resembles, for those who wish not to see any spoilers. Everyone else, you should recognise it immediately.

Erratic (cost) - (number) (You may play this spell by its erratic cost. If you do, remove it from the game instead of resolving it, then play the (number) card fom the top of your library without paying its mana cost)

Sting
Instant [COMMON]
CARDNAME deals 1 damage to target creature or player
Erratic - 5

I made this mechanic for a randomness based set back in the day when I was a bit more of a n00b. Now I know slightly better, but I still like the idea. Erratic was meant to be a gamble. Get the effect from the card now, or maybe erratic into a Darksteel Colossus? Or maybe a land? Yea, I never exactly knew what would happen if you flipped a land. I guess I should add an extra line of reminder text.
Card: Firm Denial
Firm Denial
Instant [UNCOMMON]
Counter two target spells.

A very simple design, probably already invented by someone in the boards. Perhaps it foolish of me to think that WotC would never make something like this. I like how it's strictly better than Counterspell, but at the same time it's also worse. You don't stumble on something like this every day. Again, I won't say what Alara Reborn card ot parrots.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
The erratic card is really powerful, even when some times can be useless (thinking Limited or in a deck with a counterspell -not likely). But most of the time it will be really good. Even if it hits a land and you can play it, it would be good accel. And in Constructed, it can be really good in aggro.

Also, it's the fifth card, right? Not the top 5 cards (that would be insane).

The idea is quite cool.
Firm denial is *not* strictly better than Counterspell. If it said "Counter up to two target spells" it would be. For example, Hex is not strictly better than a card which cost the same and said "Destroy two target creatures."

I do like Firm Denial though. I'd never play it... but I like it. You could even make it cost , unless it was in a block where there's usually multiple spells on the stack (like storm, for example).
Yes, the number indicates the 5th card from the top. It would be development's duty to fiddle with the numbers: I'm a designer. The whole point of the set was that the colours had different approaches to randomness. White punished your opponent for doing it, blue and black had a careful and studying approach to it while red and green had a high risk/high outcome strategy. The mechanic was to be mostly in red, with a cycle, of which Sting is part, at common in all colours. The greater the number, the less powerful the card was supposed to be, because there was a certain degree of top-of-your-library manipulation in blue, for its controlled gambling tactic.

Cycle: Choose One
Most of my designs are in cycles. Whenever I make card, I always try to channel its spirit and replicate it in all colours. So singular cards almost always end up at being cycles in my hands. I first created the blue card of this cycle, under the name of Dominate. When I saw that that was taken, I changed to Supremacy. Then I made the red one some time later and realized they used the same mechanic, so I fleshed it out in an entire cycle.

Supremacy
Instant
Choose target creature. Tap all other creatures.
"I built you. I mastered you. I mentored you. I shall not be bested by you"
Yurin, to Domo-do

Gangstabbing
Instant
Choose target creature. All other creatures deal damage to it equal to their power.

Ominous Presence
Instant
Choose target creature. All other creatures get -X/-X until end of turn, where X is that creature's power.

Predator Champion
Instant
Choose target creature. Move all counters from all other creatures onto it.

Chosen Martyr
Instant
Choose target creature. Regenerate all other creatures.

The two original ones both have top-down flavour: the supremacy of a creature ensures it is the only one left standing, and in a gangstabbing all creatures ally to deal damage a single one. In the others, I chose the mechanic first and the name later, but generally I use the first approach to card-making.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Cycle: Mistform Primus
The first cycle you wouldn't be able to have all cards of in a deck at the same time!

Mistform Primus
Legendary Creature - Bird Soldier Shapeshifter
Flying, Vigilance
: Search your library for a card named Mistform Primus, reveal it and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.
Sacrifice CARDNAME: Reveal your hand. If there is a card named Mistform Primus in there, you may put that card into play.
As mistrusting as the aven are, they never suspected that their greatest enemy would come looking exactly like them.
2/5

Mistform Primus
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard Shapeshifter
, : Draw a card.
: Search your library for a card named Mistform Primus, reveal it and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.
Sacrifice CARDNAME: Reveal your hand. If there is a card named Mistform Primus in there, you may put that card into play.
To their credit, humans are tolerant enough to newcomers if they bring knowledge, and the Primus has a wealth of information.
1/2

Mistform Primus
Legendary Creature - Zombie Shapeshifter
Fear
The zombies' mind is easily confused. If it shambles and groans and hungers, it's one of them.
3/2

Mistform Primus
Legendary Creature - Goblin Warrior Shapeshifter
Haste
: CARDNAME gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
The hardest part was to mimic the goblins' distinctive smell.
1/1

Mistform Primus
Legendary Creature - Beast Shapeshifter
Trample
The herd never noticed a new beast arrived. It was the Primus' easiest infiltration.
7/6

They have all the same name, so you can only have four of these in your deck. They are legendary, so having two in play, even if they are different incarnations, will kill them both for the Legend rule. The flavour is clear: it's one creature, the Mistform Primus (Primus means first, as Ultimus means last) that can shapeshift at will between the different tribes of Onslaught. For the art, I imagined that there would be groups of the appropriate creatures, a flock of aven for the white one, a gathering of mages for the second one, and so on, where one of them would have bright red eyes that really made him stand out. That would be Mistform Primus, master shapeshifter.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
I like the idea, but revealing your hand seems a bit punishing. Why not just: "X, t, sac: Search your library for a card named ~ and put it into play."? It's what is going to happen anyway.
I wanted to keep the two abilities separate, so you can use them at different times. Besides, if you already have one in hand, you don't need to tap.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Quick card before going to bed.

Creature - Kratt
Kratt, Keldon Conqueror
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
Whenever CARDNAME deals combat damage to a player, if you attacked with 5 or more creatures this turn, gain control of all lands that player controls.
"Give me an army and I'll give you Jamuraa."
4/4

Based on the Keldon invasion of Jamuraa, narrated in Prophecy. Not based on any real character, because there was none to really base it upon. The flavour is clear: a general, if provided with an army, will conquer land. The ability is a bit off colour (I'd point out Conquer, but I fear that's a bit too old for our colour pie), but I think the flavour justifies it.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Artifact: Apprentice's Tome
Apprentice's Tome
Artifact
: Remove a card in your hand from the game face down. Play this ability only whenever you could play a sorcery.
Sacrifice CARDNAME: You may play a card removed from the game with CARDNAME. (You still have to pay any costs for it.)

Save a spell for later, and drop sorceries and creatures and planeswalkers at instant speed! The "Remove only as sorcery" clause is to avoid dumping your hand if someone plays Duress or similar. Can make for interesting decisions.
Creature: Goblin Masochists
Goblin Masochists
Creature - Goblin Warrior
At the beginning of each upkeep, CARDNAME deals one damage to itself.
2/2

I wonder if this is better or worse than Goblin Piker.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Enchantment: War Taxes
War Taxes
Enchantment
Players can spend mana only to pay for creature spells and abilites of creatures.
Never in the history of Dominaria had a general required such a commitment from his land.

Another top-down design card. Not totally sure about the wording.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Far too powerful; only a very limited subset of green creature cards can deal with this card and it is absolutely backbreaking against many decks.
I thought so, but I liked the flavour too much.
Two options: add a "kill me" clause like in Aether Storm, Lethal Vapors and similar, but I'm not sure what the payment should be; or add a positive effect, like "Your creatures get +2/+2" and make this apply only to you, as if it was a drawback.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Creature: Jacob
Jacob Hansson
Legendary Creature - Human Scout
, , Sacrifice CARDNAME: Remove all cards in all graveyards from the game.
He stepped through the rift to enter a world and an age not his own. It mattered little. He would travel any distance to avenge his father.
2/3

I wonder what this is in reference to...
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
awfully slow and expensive for graveyard hate. it can't even stop a turn 4 zombify.

also lacks p/t.
You guys are such noobs and scrubs when it comes to designing cards. All of you. In fact I won't exaggerate If I say I'm the best designer in the forum. Hell, I'm probably a better designer than WotC themselves. I'm easily the best designer in the world and you're all n00bs for not seeing that. All of you are black-listed. -kroen [UCC #2] The Unanimous Card Contest [Signups] This is a very unique contest, that could, theoretically, last months before a winner is declared. Black List The following users are banned from the contest and may not participate: Everyone -kroen
drop the mana cost by 2 and make it a 2/2 and it might be sideboard-able.
Instant: Embolden
Embolden
Instant
Target creature gets +0/+X until end of turn.

Very simple card today, 'cos' I have to start revision. Could easily be a cantrip, methinks.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Sorcery: Contraband
Contraband
Sorcery
You may play as many lands as you choose this turn.
"Ssst! The guards are coming!"
ART: It's night and two men are unloading crates from a wagon in a dark alley. One lends his ear to listen the approaching guard from behind the corner.

Out of colour and horribly, horribly broken. So why am I posting this?
This is the very first card I ever designed. As red is one of my favourite colours, I wanted a card that would enable quick victories by dumping lots of land in one turn. It was a simpler time, when Mons's Goblin Raiders was a pretty good card, Craw Wurm downright awesome, "Mox" a totally foreign word and "Mana Curve" a curious mix of two terms that had nothing to do with each other. I hope I've learnt at least a little sign then in terms of card design. :D
Creature: Soldier of Eternal Glory
Soldier of Eternal Glory
Creature - Soldier Avatar
Maybe Flying
CARDNAME is indestructible.
As CARDNAME comes into play, sacrifice all creatures you control. CARDNAME's power is equal to the total power of those creatures and its toughness is equal to their total toughness.
*/*

Maybe flying because I don't remember if I gave it or not. I designed this card for a very specific scenario: it was the finals of some very important Magic tournament, and it was the very last game - the winner takes all. I control a bunch of tokens from One Dozen Eyes, a Craw Wurm and a Keldon Warlord, which all were cards I loved very much at the time. My opponent only controlled a non-identified 4/4 flying gargoyle. I don't remember for what utterly contrived reason, but the catch was that, to win, I needed to have only one massive creature: enter the Soldier of Eternal Glory! Thanks to his, at the time, truly terrifying double digits power and toughness, I won the game.
This time, the card is slightly less broken, even to the point that WotC has actually printed a card with this ability. The name is cheesy, I realize now, but it was heroic for the twelve year old boy of the time.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Instant: Force
Force
Instant
The next spell you play this turn can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Draw a card.

The only point of this card is to get a Choke to resolve through a barrier of counterspells, or, to Force Choke.
By the way, I'm a quotations nerd.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Mechanic: Relay
A long ago, when I was more of a n00b than now, I dreamed of my block. Having little understanding of how blocks are actually made, I envisioned three large sets, where the themes were actually against each other.
In the first, Chaos, random and niche effects were encouraged. This is the set I first designed Erratic for. It also had three and four coloured multicolour creatures, and many incomplete cycles, and all in all a lot of randomness. It was supposed to reflect the state of Dominaria after the mending, where power struggles ravaged the land.
By the time the second set, Conflict, comes along, five factions have taken control, one in each colour with a specific tribe. The expansion promoted monocoloured tribal decks, with each colour having a different mechanic.
Finally, in the third set, Coalition, the warring factions united to fight an even bigger evil, and so 5 colour, multitribal decks were encouraged.
As it's painfully obvious, this would have probably very weird in Limited, and after gaining an understanding of the working of a block, I scrapped the idea.
However, I still remember and nurture a lot of the ideas of that block, which I'm going to post here, given enough time.

The first is the blue mechanic from Conflict, Relay:
Relay N (Whenever you play a instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost N, you may copy that spell. You may choose new targets for it.)

Relay appears on permanents, where N is usually equal to the cmc of that permanent.

Flooded Laboratory
Land
Relay 0
CARDNAME comes into play tapped
: Add to your mana pool.

Cephalid Initiate
Creature - Cephalid Wizard
Relay 3
1/2

Psychic Ferryman
Creature - Cephalid Wizard
Relay 4
, : Return another target Cephalid to its owner's hand.
2/2

Power of Learning
Instant
Target creature gains Relay X until end of turn, where X is its converted mana cost.
Draw a card.

Monolith of Omniscience
Legendary Artifact
Permanents you control have Relay X, where X is that permanent's converted mana cost.

All the creatures are Cephalid Wizards, because that is the blue tribe.
I never figured if this was broken or merely really really good.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Instant: Echoes of Yesterday
Echoes of Yesterday
Instant
Each player returns to his or her hand all cards that were put into a graveyard from anywhere during the last turn.
"Not many know that the past is a living, breathing entity. It eats and sleeps and hungers like any other. If you listen very hard, you can hear its voice, spoken with the cries of fallen heroes and the rumblings of forgotten disasters."
Kanierk, Priest of the Alabaster Citadel

Not long ago, I participated in the YMtC Idol contest, where I got kicked out the first round. I can't really blame the judges, as I was stuck for ideas. Obviously, after being eliminated I came up with a different concept, which is what I would have gone with had I had the chance to. Maybe the contest would have gone differently...
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Cycle: Cost Matters
Containment Spell
Instant
If was spent to play CARDNAME, target creature gets -3/-0 until end of turn.
Prevent all damage that would be dealt by creatures with power 2 or less.
The Ota's spells paralysed with no possible cure. Reka prisoners were arrogantly displayed in the squares and streets for all to see.

Leech Assault
Instant
If was spent to play CARDNAME, put two -1/-1 counters on target creature.
For each counter on target creature, put another of those counters on that creature.
The Reka's holy mountain was sorrounded in swamps and fens, impassable to the Ota, who didn't know the secret paths though it.

Poisonous Rains
Instant
If was spent to play CARDNAME, CARDNAME deals two damage to target creature.
Destroy target creature if it was dealt damage this turn.
The Ota farmers rejoiced at the seasonal rains, unaware that the Reka had poisoned the skies themselves.

Surge of Might
Instant
If was spent to play CARDNAME, target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
Target creature you control in play deals damage equal to its power to target creature.
The Ota used to hold Reka prisoners in their jails, but they had to resort to more extreme methods of containment for them after they had spread their rebellious ideas and caused countless riots.

Blistering Gale
Instant
If was spent to play CARDNAME, target creature gains flying until end of turn.
Destroy target creature if it has flying.
"For the tenth day in a row, the winds are too strong to get the squad up. I wonder if those mad Reka druids are behind it from their blasted mountain?"
Gilde, Ota Skycaptain, diary

The strong point of these cards is flexibility. You can use them in a monocoloured deck, use their effects separately for a 2-for-1, or use them together to get one big effect. I think I got the wording right for all of these.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Partial Cycle: Writers
Epitaph Writer
Creature - Human Wizard
As CARDNAME comes into play, name a nonland card.
All cards in all graveyards have the chosen name.
More than deeds and actions, it is he who decides heroes and villains, as it is his hand that writes the tale.
2/3

Dreaming Poet
Creature - Human Wizard
All cards in all hands and all spells have the chosen name.
She finds the world dull and tasteless, and substitutes reality with her own.
2/4

Librarian of the Immense
Creature - Human Wizard
All cards in all libraries have the chosen name.
Every library needs an indexing technique. His is just more straightforward.
2/3

Tome of Mirrors
Artifact
: All permanents have the chosen name until end of turn.
When it is open, the engraved pictures on every page shift to mimic the reader. When it is closed, it twists the world around it to replicate its most recent memory.

Originally it was only one card that changed the name of everything in one thing, but then I realized that that was a insta-combo with Extirpate, to name one. It should work under the rules (maybe).
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
I love the blue one. Makes ripple worthwhile, and Cranial Extraction wins.

Black one is funny with the Burst cycle.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Oh, yeah, hadn't thought of Cranial Extraction... Potentially broken, then.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Maybe it could rename only the top card.

Enchantment: Slay-a-thon
Slay-a-thon
Enchantment
At the end of each turn, if a creature was put into a graveyard from play, put a carnage counter on CARDNAME. If no creature was put into a graveyard, sacrifice CARDNAME.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are 20 or more carnage counters on CARDNAME, you win the game.
The Rakdos Rite of Tor-Vakul requires a near endless series of murders and crimes, which must be repeated fully if it is interrupted at any point. Some like to stop it intentionally, to lengthen the "fun".

Finished exams, found a job... My cards will become rarer and simpler as time goes by.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
More reasonable if takes ten turns, but only yours.

At the Mistform Primus. Turn three red one, then put the green one into play? Meh, a bit too much.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Instant: Embolden
Embolden
Instant
Target creature gets +0/+X until end of turn.

Very simple card today, 'cos' I have to start revision. Could easily be a cantrip, methinks.

Embolden
At the Mistform Primus. Turn three red one, then put the green one into play? Meh, a bit too much.

Yeah, I just realized that. In my defense I want to say I'm a designer, not a developer. I make the concept, then someone else should fiddle with the numbers and correct wordings to ensure it is not broken. Weak excuse, I know, but I'm rather bad at estimating power level, or even seeing the obvious.

Ability: Opaque
Opaque(As an additional cost to play this spell, reveal the top card of your library. This spell's colour is that card's colour. If it is a permanent spell, it comes into play as a permanent of that colour)

One of the first abilities I ever designed, I dug this up from an old YMtC contest to save it for posterity because I liked it. It was designed for the same set as Erratic, above, to help random effects (another theme of that set was multicolour).
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Meh, some memory issues. :<
It's cool though, if Magic had more stuff interacting with colors.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Meh, some memory issues. :<
It's cool though, if Magic had more stuff interacting with colors.

As with many cards and abilites, it's all about the format it is printed in, and I would have made sure Opaque would have been relevant.
Creature: Shocking Mite
Shocking Mite
Creature - Insect
When CARDNAME deals damage to a player, double all damage that would be dealt to that player until end of turn.
The mite's venom twists the nervous connections of its victims until they can no longer perceive reality correctly. Merely standing will appear to them as to walk on scalding blades.
1/1

A funky card I would like in my burn decks. Better with a Power of Fire on. And possibly a way to untap it, since the effect becomes cumulative each time it hits someone.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Sorcery: Skull Crush
Skull Crush
Sorcery
Destroy target creature if you control the creature with the highest power.
"I say that justice is nothing other than the advantage of the stronger"
Plato, Republic

A joint cooperation in inspiring me by the name and Wretched Banquet.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Hoarder of Knowledge
Hoarder of Knowledge
Creature - Human Wizard
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library face down.
When CARDNAME is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return to your hand all cards exiled with CARDNAME.
"Of all the things I could know, all the things I should know, I only know a tiny fraction. I must study and learn as much as possible to obtain omniscience, if not for me, at least for posterity: for that is the true end of mankind."
1/1

If I ever win the invitational, this is the card I want to be made in.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Ga'an's Call
Ga'an's Call
Sorcery
Put two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Ga'an managed to unite the parochialistic and divided city-states of his land by offering a common goal, strong leadership and plentiful resources. For the first time in centuries, soldiers spontanously answered to a general's summons and willingly went into battle.

Despite this being, at the end of the day, another 2/2 for 1 in white, I think it's overpowered due to Glorious Anthem-like effects. But I could see this being printed. Maybe.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Sorcery: Peer Review
Peer Review
Sorcery
Reveal the top X cards of your library, where X is the number of players plus one. Starting with you, each player chooses a card, then shuffle all chosen cards into your library and put into your hand the remaining one.
Yurin assembled a War Council made of the best scientists, artificers, generals and mages of the whole Kingdom. With their help, he could overcome his enemies' inherent advantage of experience.

Another top-down design. Obviously more interesting in multiplayer, I wonder if it could be an instant.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Could cost U and be an instant and it would be awful.

1U and N+2 cards?

Maybe it errs a bit on the weak side, but it can a potent tool for multiplayer politics. I only threw a concept out there, fiddling with numbers and details is unimportant to me at this point.

Overract
Overract
Instant
Counter target spell.
You lose 3 life.
Lenia was not going to allow anything to interefere with her exam. When she sensed the foreign mana sweeping the room, she unleashed a wave of countermagic to stop it.

(Apparently we can't sblock things anymore, or write mana symbols. Does anyone know the commands? I also apologize for the italicsness of the card but I can't seem to find a way to get the text to stick together unless its under the Address format)

Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Yay, formatting has returned to its proper form!

Mana Strangle
Mana Strangle
Enchantment
All lands lose all mana abilities.
Tap two untapped lands you control: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool. Any player may play this ability.
The entire plane of Mavina was turned in a barren wasteland when an unknown planeswalker abandoned there an artifact of his, fearing its power. The truly terrible fact is that even though it has sapped all energy from around itself, it is only working at minimum capacity.

Wasn't quite sure what colours it would be in, so i just put all that I thought it could be.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Living Tide
Living Tide
Sorcery
Put X 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens on the battlefield.
The land writhed, convulsed and opened. Then thousands of small beings poured like an unstoppable avalanche.

Probably been done already, but I like it nontheless...
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Sign In to post comments