The Kavu Lair

190 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome! It seems you've ventured into my Kavu Lair. No need to be frightened, as I just ate. Here you can see bits and pieces of the Magic I've cast over the years, as well as bear witness to the birth of new spells as I create them! Please, feel free to comment on what you see. Enjoy your stay! -Kavu_Overlord

Past Contests:
Super Mario World
Contest Thread
Awards:
Callix: Savior of Mushroom Kingdom Award
Parsath: Honorable Luigi Award
All Participants: Infinite Patience Award
Parsath's Primalwood Brawler: Golden Claw Award

Sparkwars
[sblock = A Contest in Three Acts]
Contest Thread
Awards:
Dramatic Masters
award to Imidazoline and RPJesus
[/sblock]
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
Yes, I've decided to open up my own card-dump thread. I've been prowling around YmtC for quite a long time now, but have never really been a big part of the action. Not that I expect this thread to change anything, but I just think there's no sense to keeping all my ideas to myself. ;)

To start us off, here's a card from one of the many mini-sets I've attempted in the past. It's called Aloria, an Aura-based miniset. I do attempt revisions on my sets every so often, but they're never really ever complete. Aloria is somewhere in the middle of it's third revision.

[indent]Resonant Treefolk
Creature - Treefolk Shaman

Replace all instances of "enchanted creature" with "creatures you control" on auras enchanting Resonant Treefolk.

Some of the oldest treefolk bark can be used for very powerful amulets. However, some of the oldest treefolk would rather keep their bark.

2/4[/indent]
That's a very clever ability. I like it.

I love how this makes people who play Pacifism cry. Very clever...
Cool, I'll add it to my regular checked threads. I'm looking forward to your designs.
I like the Treefolks ability, but I have a question. Of all the creature types why Treefolk?
Cool, I'll add it to my regular checked threads. I'm looking forward to your designs.
I like the Treefolks ability, but I have a question. Of all the creature types why Treefolk?

why not?

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

It fits green, an elf would be too small, and beast doesn't make sense.
Green has a history of creatures that react especially well with Enchantments and Auras, Enchantresses (human druids). That is not really where the question came from. My question was really simple curiosity. I mean a 2/4 could just as easily be a spider, elemental or beast (each with varying flavor). The root of my question (pun, yay) is why this flavor?
It's too large for an Enchatress or other human/druid thing. Beasts, spiders and the like are not intelligent enough (unless I made them so, but that's another story), and, well, why not a Treefolk? This was way before Lorwyn's Treefolk, so I figured Treefolk would be perfect for a relatively sentient, higher toughness than power green creature.
Welcome! It seems you've ventured into my Kavu Lair.

So it seems.
Okay. As we all know, there comes a time in every designer's life where they feel the need to go hog-wild with hybrid mana. At least I can do it in the privacy of my own thread...

[indent]Poisoned Swipe
Instant

Target creature gains First Strike and Deathtouch until end of turn.[/indent]

First Strike is red and white, and Deathtouch is black and green, so this should always be in-color. I realize this could be expanded into any number of color combinations, but I think these two keywords work particularly well together. Sure, it's ugly as sin, but it's very efficient.
First Strike is red and white, and Deathtouch is black and green, so this should always be in-color. I realize this could be expanded into any number of color combinations, but I think these two keywords work particularly well together. Sure, it's ugly as sin, but it's very efficient.

Simple and cool idea. I don’t think it would look that bad, but lets see...
Poisoned Swipe?
IMAGE(http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq347/varkken/PoisonedSwipe.jpg)
yay, my second card graphic ever. Since you have to pay multiple colors it is still technically a gold card, right?
This is one of the cards with multiple hybrid costs I like, but I still don't like multiple hybrid costs... I like it better than cards that cost () though.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Okay. As we all know, there comes a time in every designer's life where they feel the need to go hog-wild with hybrid mana. At least I can do it in the privacy of my own thread...

[indent]Poisoned Swipe
Instant

Target creature gains First Strike and Deathtouch until end of turn.[/indent]

This could so be mono-black. It's not that much of a stretch, just flavor it as a surprise attack. Ridged Kusite.
Yeah; that'd be cool as a modified Terror that requires an attacking creature to work. BB is good, but I think you could drop it to B (though it would be really high on the curve.)
It's a bit of a stretch, but I think some clever Vorthosing could pull it off. I'll keep it in mind for a combat based set, should I ever choose to make one...
This could so be mono-black. It's not that much of a stretch, just flavor it as a surprise attack. Ridged Kusite.

Bad example. Better one: Stillmoon Cavalier.
Bad example. Better one: Stillmoon Cavalier.

Mine isn't really a bad example. It's just not as good as the Cavalier.
Mine isn't really a bad example. It's just not as good as the Cavalier.

actually, neither's a very good example. one's from planar chaos, and the other is an homage to an old card we don't tend to see any more.

Not everything from Planar Chaos is against Magic design. Actually, very little from planar chaos is.
Not everything from Planar Chaos is against Magic design. Actually, very little from planar chaos is.

enough of Planar Chaos is blatantly violating the color pie or at least well outside the norms that you really can't take it as a valid case.

for the record, outside of TS block, there are three mono-black card that have, gain, or grant first strike. (not counting emberstrike duo and fists of the demigod. I think we can agree those don't count.) they are a very old fan favorite, an homage to another iconic old card, and whatever the hell yawgmoth demon is. for comparison, there are 5 in TS block, including four in planar chaos and one as a reference to Nekrataal.

so of all the black first strike cards in extended, half are in Planar Chaos. I think this should say something.

so of all the black first strike cards in extended, half are in Planar Chaos. I think this should say something.

Oh it does say something. J.B Fletcher is a serial killer! Ever think it was a little coincidental that a murder mystery writer just happens to be there when some one is murdered? ....and it happened enough that they got 6 or 7 seasons out of “Murder She Wrote.” How often have you coincidently been involved or around a subject you were writing about before that incident?

On an unrelated subject (Razor how could you go so far off subject, I mean J.B. Fletcher, seriously), First strike is not very common in black. This card is almost a homage to Voracious Cobra, which I believe is the only creature in the history of magic that naturally combines these two abilities.
enough of Planar Chaos is blatantly violating the color pie or at least well outside the norms that you really can't take it as a valid case.

for the record, outside of TS block, there are three mono-black card that have, gain, or grant first strike. (not counting emberstrike duo and fists of the demigod. I think we can agree those don't count.) they are a very old fan favorite, an homage to another iconic old card, and whatever the hell yawgmoth demon is. for comparison, there are 5 in TS block, including four in planar chaos and one as a reference to Nekrataal.

Chaos Theory.
Relevant quote:
Planar Chaos is not us disrespecting the color pie. It is us examining it to a level never before seen in the game. No set has ever been more about the color pie than Planar Chaos. What is going to be disorienting (and I hope in a fun way) is the exploration of the mantle and the crust. Yes, many of these cards are going to seem odd at first because they are not following traditional core color pie. But if you take a step back (and don’t worry, once the set is out, I will be exploring why we chose to put certain mechanics in certain colors), you’ll see a lot more method to our madness. We’re not exploring what shouldn’t be done. We’re exploring what could have been done but wasn’t.

Chaos Theory.
Relevant quote:

that's what they say. they're not gonna say "yeah, **** the color pie". but in terms of what mechanics belong in what colors, you really can't consider planar chaos unless you think harrow is blue.

that's what they say. they're not gonna say "yeah, **** the color pie". but in terms of what mechanics belong in what colors, you really can't consider planar chaos unless you think harrow is blue.

I disagree. Just as the blanket statement "All cards in Planar Chaos are on-color" is false, so is its opposite. Some cards are reasonable within the modern color pie, and some aren't. I happen to think that Black first strike is acceptable on very rare occasions.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
I disagree. Just as the blanket statement "All cards in Planar Chaos are on-color" is false, so is its opposite. Some cards are reasonable within the modern color pie, and some aren't.

indeed. so they have no bearing, because their existence in Planar Chaos gives no indication as to whether they are in color. I can't point to jodah's avenger to prove that double strike is blue. but I also can't point to aven riftwatcher being in planar chaos as an indication that life gain isn't really white.

my point is that, due to the random nature of whether cards in PC are mechanically in-color, they really can't be referenced unless they appeared outside it, like prodigal pyromancer.

anyway, all this is irrelevant to the discussion at hand, because at the moment, every black card with first strike in extended has a damn good reason to have it. (besides yawgmoth demon. that ****'s crazy.) this does not.

In extended, yes there are only 3 that have/has/grant first strike. However, there are plenty more than 3 monoblack cards with first strike ever made. They ranged from cards made in Antiquities (Stone-Throwing Devils) to Alliances (Lim-Dul's High Guard) to Tempest(Kezzerdrix) to older core sets (Black Knight).

I disagree. Just as the blanket statement "All cards in Planar Chaos are on-color" is false, so is its opposite. Some cards are reasonable within the modern color pie, and some aren't. I happen to think that Black first strike is acceptable on very rare occasions.

Right, Black can get First Strike in much the same way Green gets Flying, or White gets Trample. So, I think black getting a cheap instant that grants First Strike is out.
In extended, yes there are only 3 that have/has/grant first strike. However, there are plenty more than 3 monoblack cards with first strike ever made. They ranged from cards made in Antiquities (Stone-Throwing Devils) to Alliances (Lim-Dul's High Guard) to Tempest(Kezzerdrix) to older core sets (Black Knight).

and there are 14 blue creatures that tap to deal 1 damage to a creature or player. that doesn't make it in color.

and there are 14 blue creatures that tap to deal 1 damage to a creature or player. that doesn't make it in color.

Are any of them standard legal? Extended legal (excluding Planar chaos)? The same way there is one standard legal black creature with first strike (excluding Cairn Wanderer. The same way that there are three entended legal black creatures with first strike (excluding Planar Chaos and the shapeshifter).

That mechanic, as much as it pains me to say it, is no longer a blue colored mechanic. It is out of flavor. However, first strike can appear in black cards with the right flavor and reason. It will be rare, but it will still happen.

So....Kavu? How 'bout those cards? ;)
Right.

Re: Planar Chaos:
I've always felt that the spirit of the set to be a cool idea. I'm not a fan of butchering the color pie willy-nilly, but if a card has a good reason to be a little outside the established norm, I don't see the problem.

Anyway, here's two cards from another old set (2004, before that silly SoK and Channel). I haven't touched this one in a long time, and it's almost done its first remake.

[indent]Chill of Winter
Instant

Each player chooses 2 lands he or she controls. Tap all other lands.
Tagchain 1 (When you play Chill of Winter, you may reveal an instant or sorcery card in your hand with converted mana cost 1 or less and put a copy of that spell on the stack.)

Ponderous Growth
Sorcery

Search you library for a land card and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Flashcast - , Reveal Ponderous Growth from your hand: Search you library for a land card, put that card into play tapped, then shuffle your library.[/indent]
I don't think making it better than Sylvan Scrying is a good idea, as it's already a fairly good card. I would make it basic. I would also have it so that they need to reveal the land...

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Oh, yes, right. I suppose that what I get for posting older cards without checking them first. If I ever go back to that set, I think I have an identity for it now: Small spells matter, with Tagchain being an integral part, and using Flashcast and Kicker to get big effects out of small spells. Now, if only I had the will to do that...
Dead so soon? That's a shame.

Reposted from Stamina:

[indent]Spellwild Bulvox
Creature - Beast

Spells you play that target Spellwild Bulvox cost less to play.
Spells opponents play that target Spellwild Bulvox cost more to play.

They resonate naturally with forest mana, causing them to be susceptible to those who wield it, but impervious to those who don't.

5/4[/indent]

It protects itself in the same vein as shroud, and give you free Giant Growths!

Also, I'm working on a brand new 90 card set over the holiday break. Hopefully, I'll actually finish it so you all can see it. Maybe I'll give you a little sneak peak later on...
Merry Christmas!

Wrapped Surprise
Unbound Artifact

(Unbound permanents come into play under no player's control.)
Whenever Wrapped Surprise is destroyed, the player who destroyed it may search their library for a card and put it into their hand.

"A planet sized, Spark-stealing device? How did you know!"
-Memnarch
Isn't that supertype contradictory? It's a wrapped surprise, but it's unbound?

Pretty cool card though, except it should cost less, maybe . The two-sidedness plus inherent card disadvantage makes it rather hard to use.
I figured the inherent card-disadvantageness and the fact that you could theoretically save it until you can kill it yourself balances out a colorless Demonic Tutor. It might be able to be , but I fear would be pushing it.

I find it funny that Red and Green would be the best at using this, and are also the colors worst at tutoring.
I figured the inherent card-disadvantageness and the fact that you could theoretically save it until you can kill it yourself balances out a colorless Demonic Tutor. It might be able to be , but I fear would be pushing it.

I find it funny that Red and Green would be the best at using this, and are also the colors worst at tutoring.

But if you cost it at 2, consider this:

The cheapest artifact destroyer is with Ingot Chewer. Chances are, you'll be Naturalizing it anyways. Costed at base, you've got a (or )tutor at best that your opponent has equal opportunity to exploit rather than you. I'd say it'd be fair at
I don't think your opponent has a fair chance, though. Outside of sealed, if you're playing this, you're also planning to break it (holding it until you have the aforementioned Naturalize, or something) and chances are, you're opponent won't have artifact destruction.

Here's a mechanic I just though of, that is pseudo-related to this whole "I'm planning to use it, which makes it unfair for my opponent".

Obvious Troll
Creature - Troll

Obvious (When you draw Obvious Troll, you may choose to play with it revealed. You can't play Obvious Troll unless it is revealed.)
: Regenerate Obvious Troll.

"I heard it coming from a mile away, and smelt it coming from two."
-Argothian Explorer

3/3

Used as a drawback, it gives your opponent a chance to prepare for it before you play it.
You people might stop commenting, but that won't stop me! Flavor is only semi-serious. ;)

Obvious Bolt
Sorcery

Obvious
Obvious Bolt deals 5 damage to target creature or player.
: Counter Obvious Bolt. Any player may play this ability but only if Obvious Bolt is on the stack.

You may see it coming, but it'll still hurt when it hits

Failed Bluff
Instant

Obvious
Counter target spell unless its controller pays .

"All in. Boy I hope no one calls my bluff, I've got a terrible hand."
Sign In to post comments