Hoard of Notions

859 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to my Hoard of Notions. Within you will find a collection of some of some of my favorite designs, awaiting your discerning eye and wizened criticism. I am a flavor enthusiast who places a high value on clean, elegant designs... which I hope shines through in my own creations. All comments are welcome so long as they remain constructive.

Below is an index of everything I've posted in this thread, from cards to keyword mechanics to my custom set Morlock. Individual cards have been labeled by color, with a colorless symbol denoting lands and artifacts. Please note that the semi-recent forum switchover has left the tags in many of my earlier posts in disarray and I am still in the process of fixing them. So enjoy, and do excuse the mess.

[sblock=| Index |]

Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Sometimes I'll take the easy way out and post cards that I've already submitted to contests or game threads. This is one of those times.

Firefall

Sorcery
Choose one-- Firefall deals 3 damage to target creature or player; or Firefall deals X damage to target creature or player.
Pyromancers know nothing of restraint -- only of varying levels of overkill.

This one comes from Psychatrog's Re-Return (Contest).
Yes, the title is cute.

Firefall seems kind of random at first, but I like how the X spell doesn't necessarily have to end up as an X spell. Probably should be a Sorcery.
The flavor text is cool as well.
Firefall is completely brilliant.
Yes, the title is cute.

I wasn't blessed by having my name rhyme with "card", so the thread title unfortunately didn't write itself. :P

Probably should be a Sorcery.

I believe that someone from the contest thread suggested the same thing, and I would probably agree. I certainly don't think that the instant version is overpowered, but it's definetely at a high point on the power curve and could use a little toning-down.

I just happened to prefer it as an Instant.

Firefall is completely brilliant.

Thanks.
I really enjoy this Card Design Thread name.
It puts mine to shame: "Daily Cup of Jo"
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
I really enjoy this Card Design Thread name. It puts mine to shame: "Daily Cup of Jo"

I thought that "Daily Cup of Jo" was fairly clever, personally.

As for Card #2:

Cradle Shepherd

Creature- Treefolk Shaman
Permanents that came into play this turn have shroud.
"There is no tragedy greater than a life gone unlived."
3/5

This might fit better in white (Or blue, with different flavor), but I like it in green for some reason.
Thank you.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Cradle Shepherd's ability has no trigger. Shouldn't it say, "When CARDNAME comes into play..." or something similar?
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
Nope. It affects all creatures that came into play this turn, whenever it happens to be.

That includes any creatures that come into play next turn, and so on, but only if they came into play on that given turn.

Interesting idea, and I really like it.
Correct me if I am wrong, but Cradle Shepherd's ability has no trigger. Shouldn't it say, "When CARDNAME comes into play..." or something similar?

That's how I originally had it, yes. I had a sneaking suspicion that the opponent could play removal in response to the Shepherd's ability, thus making it fairly useless. I'm no rules guru, so I can't say for certain.
That's how I originally had it, yes. I had a sneaking suspicion that the opponent could play removal in response to the Shepherd's ability, thus making it fairly useless. I'm no rules guru, so I can't say for certain.

They could, yes. It's good as it is, in my mind. It's not exactly like Veilstone Amulet which is designed to make all spells you play effectively counterspells against targetting effects...
Whenever a creature comes into play under your control, it gains shroud until the end of turn.

word.
Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with DevilMayCry here, save for a few discrepancies on the wording.

"Whenever a permanent comes into play, it gains shroud until end of turn."

As for Firefall, I like it a lot. Very elegant, simple design. I agree with everyone that said it should be a sorcery though.
Ah, but then your opponent has the opportunity to kill that creature before the triggered ability resolves, thus making it totally useless against instant-speed kill, which is basically all the ability's good for anyway. A static ability is really the best way to go here.
Ah, but then your opponent has the opportunity to kill that creature before the triggered ability resolves, thus making it totally useless against instant-speed kill, which is basically all the ability's good for anyway. A static ability is really the best way to go here.

Would "as" work then?

It's just that worded as a static ability, like Libe originally had it, it creates a lot of ambiguity.
how do you put the mana symbols n stuff in i wanna show a card idea i have!;)
It's just that worded as a static ability, like Libe originally had it, it creates a lot of ambiguity.

Ambiguity? How so?

@heavens-ruin: Check my signature.
Ambiguity? How so?

As worded, it looks like any permanent that came into play the turn that the Shepherd did, has shroud. Or rather, that's the impression I got on first reading.
how do you put the mana symbols n stuff in i wanna show a card idea i have!;)

[noparse][/noparse] =
But isn't this thread only for Libe's ideas? Best make your own thread.

As far as I know, there aren't any static abilities that use the phrase "this turn". Static abilities are, well, static, so it feels unnatural that they should make a reference to time frames. That isn't to say that it's against the rules- only that it hasn't been done before.
As worded, it looks like any permanent that came into play the turn that the Shepherd did, has shroud. Or rather, that's the impression I got on first reading.

Nah, the static ability is always on. It applies to .... what? .... "creatures that came into play this turn"

I didn't have any problem with it at all.

I see. I agree that it's a bit awkward, but that's the best I've come up with yet. I'm open to any suggestions on alternate wordings.
Creatures that weren't in play at the beginning of the most recent turn can't be the target of spells or abilities.

Whenever a player plays a creature spell, that creature gains shroud until end of turn.

(That persists through to when it actually becomes a Creature, after all, since it modifies the characteristics of a permanent spell on the stack).
can i throw a card of there for fun or should i make my own?
Creatures that weren't in play at the beginning of the most recent turn can't be the target of spells or abilities.

Whenever a player plays a creature spell, that creature gains shroud until end of turn.

(That persists through to when it actually becomes a Creature, after all, since it modifies the characteristics of a permanent spell on the stack).

The first wording is on the clunky side, but the second would work. I'm not sure that I like it more than the current wording, though. It could still be ambiguous in that players might think that it grants shroud only to cards on the stack (Moreso, it might make them think that shroud does something while on the stack).

can i throw a card of there for fun or should i make my own?

Unless your card relates to something that I've posted, I'd prefer that you make your own thread. Thanks.
Nah, the static ability is always on. It applies to .... what? .... "creatures that came into play this turn"

I didn't have any problem with it at all.

I know you might not have had problems with the wording.

I'm just saying, a random noob picking up this card, is more than likely going to play it wrong when they first open it; not eveyone is good with the intricacies of the rules or the wordings of cards.

I think that wording is the best, although it should say "permanent spell" as opposed to "creature spell", since that was the card's original intent.
As said, though, that wording (though it works) might give rise to more confusion.... in people thinking that shroud works while something's on the stack, and in thinking that it loses shroud when it comes into play as it's being treated as a new object (it is, but that's a specific exception to the "new object" rule that many don't know about).

I think the original is as clear as it can get, and people will realize it's not a triggered ability when you point out the lack of "Whenever, When, or At" that's required for a triggered ability.
check my cards outtttt
As said, though, that wording (though it works) might give rise to more confusion.... in people thinking that shroud works while something's on the stack, and in thinking that it loses shroud when it comes into play as it's being treated as a new object (it is, but that's a specific exception to the "new object" rule that many don't know about).

That's true I guess, as well. I don't feel that the latter wording is more confusing, as I think that "keywords only work in play unless otherwise stated" is a pretty widely known rule, but go with whatever wording you feel is right, Libe.
That's true I guess, as well. I don't feel that the latter wording is more confusing, as I think that "keywords only work in play unless otherwise stated" is a pretty widely known rule, but go with whatever wording you feel is right, Libe.

We really have no way of knowing which wording would be less confusing to the general populace. I think that I'll stick with the current wording, barring any further breakthrough. Thanks for trying, though.

I think that I'll pull that previous card out of that last post of mine so that it might get more attention- not that it's particularly groundbreaking.

Lost Repose

Sorcery
Return target creature card in an opponent's graveyard to play under that opponent's control.
The blood regent Zirklav slept soundly in his palace, sparing no thought to the innocent masses whose deaths he had ordered the day prior- until those masses arrived, shambling and moaning, at his doorstep.
I think it should cost .

Someone made a version that had the opponent reveal his or her library, have you choose a creature card from it, and have that opponent put that creature into play under his or her control and then shuffle his or her library.

I'd say it's fair enough.

It basically is only useful if your opponent has a Phage the Untouchable in the 'yard, or if you happen to need another target for Hex and have an extra to spend.
I think it should cost .

Consider it done. I think that the cost was a holdover from an earlier version of the card that I neglected to change.

That's my story, anyway.
It basically is only useful if your opponent has a Phage the Untouchable in the 'yard, or if you happen to need another target for Hex and have an extra to spend.

That's the best use, but I can imagine others (Unlikely though they may be). Basically, this is a card that fills a niche that the Johnnies of the world would dearly like to see filled.
You could give it Cycling, too.... >_>; If it's only useful once in a blue moon, it might be nice to have Cycling...
Oddly Enough...I like it as a spell. You can give it cycling if you want.
Libe, I'd go with this for Cradle Shepard:

[indent]Permanents you haven't controlled since the beginning of your turn have shroud.[/indent]

or you could go a route that is altogether much more fun:

[indent]Permanents you control with summoning sickness have shroud.[/indent]

The only problems with the second version are (1) summoning sickness is still technically "slang" I believe, but I think its still mentioned in the comp rules, and (2) some people might interpret this to mean that creatures you control with Haste wouldn't have shroud (which is incorrect). I still like it the best. :D
Libe, I'd go for this with Cradle Shepard:
[indent]Permanents that came into play this turn have shroud.[/indent]
Why? It's simple, it works, and it isn't altogether that hard to understand.
Oddly Enough...I like it as a spell. You can give it cycling if you want.

Probably because is more aesthetically pleasing, no? Cycling is a good suggestion, but the card is so narrow that cycling wouldn't make it any more playable. You'd almost always cycle it away. I'd rather keep it as Johnny fodder.
Libe, I'd go with this for Cradle Shepard: [INDENT]Permanents you haven't controlled since the beginning of your turn have shroud.[/INDENT] or you could go a route that is altogether much more fun: [INDENT]Permanents you control with summoning sickness have shroud.[/INDENT] The only problems with the second version are (1) summoning sickness is still technically "slang" I believe, but I think its still mentioned in the comp rules, and (2) some people might interpret this to mean that creatures you control with Haste wouldn't have shroud (which is incorrect). I still like it the best. :D

The ability benefits all players (Though that certainly could be changed), so the first wording would need to be edited into a much wordier, clunkier form. The second is cleaner, but I don't think that it's preferable to the current wording. It might briefly confuse a few players, but it's no Browbeat. The next two cards are both kami, pulled from the depths of Q's 30-Minute Contest archive:

Kami of First Casualties

Creature -- Spirit
Whenever a creature card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, if there are no other creature cards in that graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on Kami of First Casualties.
"The first loss is always the most painful. It signals the end of peace, the end of harmony, the beginning of war. All losses cut deep, but the first cuts to the heart." --Takeno, Samurai General
1/1

Kami of Lost Faith

Creature -- Spirit
Kami of Lost Faith can't attack or block unless there are more Shrine cards in players' graveyards than there are Shrines in play.
When the feet of ancient gods touched down upon Kamigawa, the first thing to feel the impact was faith.
4/3
The Casualties is very narrow; I don't like it, mechanically. Maybe if it put two +1/+1 counters on the guy.

The Lost Faith one is interesting, but parasitic. And parasites generally aren't good for you in large doses.
The Casualties is very narrow; I don't like it, mechanically. Maybe if it put two +1/+1 counters on the guy.

The Lost Faith one is interesting, but parasitic. And parasites generally aren't good for you in large doses.

KoLC is a bit narrow, but you usually have a good amount of control over when your opponent's creatures die. It seems decent enough in the early game, especially in multiples. And you can always use graveyard removal to get more counters out of it.

I'd agree about KoLF, but luckily one card isn't a large dose.

I really like how the two cards work flavorfully, if not mechanically.
KoLC is a bit narrow, but you usually have a good amount of control over when your opponent's creatures die. It seems decent enough in the early game, especially in multiples. And you can always use graveyard removal to get more counters out of it.

I think you mean KoFC. :P
Yes, it is good in the early game. The first two (maybe three) turns, specifically. After that it is dead and gone. I was thinking about all the ways cards go into graveyards - mill, sacrifice, discard, etc. ....oh, wait! This doesn't say "from play". Huh. I like it more now. But it should say "from anywhere", just so this kind of confusion doens't happen again. ;)
the main problem I see is that people will start referring to it as KFC.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
I think you mean KoFC. :P

Why, yes. Yes I did.
But it should say "from anywhere", just so this kind of confusion doens't happen again. ;)

Duly noted.
the main problem I see is that people will start referring to it as KFC.

I do not see this as a problem.