The Hunt - Rules and Leaderboard

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://houmann.funky.dk/ymtc/hunt/thehunt.jpg)

The thrill of the hunt. The smells, the sounds, the acute awareness of life and death surrounds you. You have traveled far, you have seen what the worlds have had to offer. You have turned down the wealth of a hundred princes. You have seen the wonders of a myriad of planes. And you have stared into the dark abyss. All for the hunt.
Now you find yourself in unfamiliar territory. You are not alone. You can hear – no, you can sense that there are others. And you can sense that they too know that they are not alone. This place is ripe with possibility, ripe with disaster. It bodes well – for the hunt.

The Hunt is a fast-paced YMtC contest for 10 players (in any given round). You take on the role of Hunters – cross-planar entities who feed on the very essences of Planeswalkers, the so-called Spark. Hunters are similar to Planeswalkers insofar as they too can travel between planes, but not voluntarily and not according to any plan. They are drawn to the ‘nearest’ ‘Walker and must stay on that plane until they are either destroyed or victorious. Only when they have consumed the Spark of another ‘Walker does their energy replenish itself, before they are unwillingly pulled through the Blind Eternities towards the next ‘Walker – to the next Hunt.

A cursed existence – but an all-consuming one.

When several Hunters are drawn to the same ‘Walker, the Hunt changes. Now it becomes a matter of time – get to the ‘Walker first or be stranded forever. That – or the Hunter becomes the Hunted. The latter is a blessing and a curse in itself. But it is also what every Hunter longs for.

Rules
Whenever a player wishes to join The Hunt, he/she must post a card – first come, first serve. That card will be secretly judged and that player will be sent a PM with the stats for his or her Hunter – the better the card, the more skillful the Hunter.
Hunters are similar to Planeswalkers, in that they too use loyalty counters to use their abilities, but as opposed to Planeswalkers, Hunters cannot gain counters, except from destroying other Hunters or Planeswalkers.
Whenever a Hunter destroys another Hunter, it gains 2 loyalty counters. Whenever a Hunter destroys a Planeswalker, it wins the Round and escapes the plane. Hunters cannot create cards with a higher CMC than their loyalty counters and neither can they create cards that are more colors than their loyalty counters. At first, this will rarely matter, but as the game goes on, your options become limited as your energy fades. Recharge by destroying a ‘Walker or another Hunter and go for the throat again.
The Rounds and Actions
The Hunt is a round-based contest, where each round represents the amount of time it takes for either the Planeswalker to escape the plane or for a Hunter to seek out the Planeswalker and absorb his/her Spark.
When a Planeswalker escapes or is destroyed, the round ends and all Hunters – except the one who destroyed the ‘Walker – are stranded and eliminated. Then the next round begins and new players get the chance to play – the Hunter who survived (if the ‘Walker did not escape) is automatically ported to the next round. He or she must make a new submission, but starts the game with an additional 2 loyalty counters – entry is assured.
But in the process of traveling through the Blind Eternities, perhaps the Hunter changes…

Rounds are comprised of turns – a single round has as many turns it takes for either the ‘Walker to escape or for a Hunter to destroy the ‘Walker. Each turn, each player will create a card to represent their chosen action for that turn; Stalk, Hide or Attack. The card will be graded and pitted against the card submitted by the target of that player's action. The higher scoring card succeeds to some extent, while the lower-scoring card is affected by the action taken.
Submitted cards are posted in-thread, while targets are chosen by PM.

Stalk When Stalking a target, the Hunter attempts to figure out whether or not the target is a Planeswalker or a Hunter, or what kind of Hunter the target is. If the Stalk action succeeds, information is gained according to how well the action succeeded. Furthermore, the target will not notice the Stalk action being performed. If the Stalk action fails, the target of the Stalk action gets a +1 Attack bonus for that turn and the next turn against the Hunter who failed his or her Stalk action.

Hide When Hiding, the Hunter tries to avoid being detected by other Hunters or Planeswalkers. The Hide action does not target, but acts as a passive target number for Attack and Stalk actions taken by other players. If the Hide action succeeds, no information is gained by Stalking Hunters and no damage is dealt by (or to!) Attacking Hunters. Furthermore, a succesful Hide action gives the Hunter +1 to Attack ANY player in the next round. If the Hide action fails, Stalk actions succeed as usual, while Attack actions are at a +1 bonus.

Attack When Attacking, the Hunter actively tries to destroy his or her target. If the action succeeds, the target loses a number of loyalty counters equal to the difference in the grades of both cards submitted. If the action fails, the Hunter loses the same amount of counters.

If more than one Hunter is responsible for destroying another Hunter, the Hunter with the highest Attack grade that Turn is the one who gains loyalty counters. When/if the 'Walker is destroyed, the Hunter with the highest Attack grade gains two loyalty counters and then the Hunter with the highest number of loyalty counters wins the Round.

The Planeswalkers
Each round a single player secretly chosen at random discovers her or her Spark and ascends to the status of Planeswalker. That player becomes that round’s target for the other players known as Hunters. It is up to the Planeswalker to hide his or her true identity for as long as possible and to make the other Hunters hunt each other, until the Planeswalker can escape the plane with his or her Spark intact. A Planeswalker escapes the plane whenever he or she amasses 10 or more loyalty counters (and wins the round).
If a Planeswalker is reduced to 0 or less loyalty counters, the Hunter who was responsible escapes the plane (and wins the round).
If no Hunter was responsible, the Planeswalker is destroyed, all Hunters are stranded and the round ends in a loss for the Planeswalker (but no wins for the Hunters).
If more than one Hunter is responsible for the destruction of a Planeswalker, the one with the most loyalty counters wins the round.
A Planeswalker-win translates into 2 points on the Hunt Leaderboard. A Planeswalker-loss translates into -1 point on the Hunt Leaderboard (only if no Hunter is responsible.) A Hunter-win translates into 1 point on the Hunt Leaderboard.

The Hunters
Hunters come in all shapes and sizes. When entering a round, the entry card submitted determines the “shape and size” of that specific Hunter for that round; one of ten different Hunter-classes and the amount of loyalty counters the Hunters starts the round with.
Each Hunter class has three different abilities, mirroring those of the Planeswalker, except for the fact that Hunters do not have a “+N”-ability, only “-N”-abilities. These abilities can be used once each turn (only when choosing Actions – one PM is sent with the appropriate action and the use of an ability, if any) and must have a valid target. (For instance, you cannot target a ‘Walker, unless his/her identity has been openly revealed.) These abilites do not require a card submission.

The Planes
Each round ten players (9 Hunters and a Planeswalker) are transported to a new plane in the Multiverse; it could be an already known one (such as Kamigawa) or it could be a completely unknown one. Each plane decides what cards can be submitted during that round. For instance, while Hunting on Kamigawa, Kamigawa-flavours and –mechanics are more potent that any other cards and are graded as such.

Grades and Posting
Cards submitted are graded on a scale from 1-10, incorporating Concept, Design, Power, Creative and Oomph; 0 – Not Good, 1 – Good, 2 – Very Good. Cards not following the current Plane’s flavour are penalized depending how they much they diverge. Whenever a player fails to post a card for a given Turn, he or she automatically succeeds in a Hide Action, but loses half (rounded up) of his or her loyalty counters.

ceci n'est pas une signature.

The First Hunt - - click here - Euclid (Hunter, Spark Fiend)
The Second Hunt - - click here - Riorvard (Hunter, Blind Traveller)
The Third Hunt - - click here - Chintastica (Hunter, Shadow Delver)
The Fourth Hunt - - click here - Chintastica (Hunter, Shadow Delver)
The Fifth Huntclick here

Hunt Leaderboard
Points / Wins / Losses / Player 
2 / 2 / 0 / Chintastica
1 / 1 / 1 / Euclid
1 / 1 / 1 / Riorvard

0 / 0 / 1 / ?Aeolus?
0 / 0 / 1 / AbsoluteZero
0 / 0 / 1 / bobby2055
0 / 0 / 1 / ConfusedAsUsual
0 / 0 / 1 / DaytimeLantern  
0 / 0 / 1 / Dream Spinner
0 / 0 / 1 / eddned
0 / 0 / 1 / FirstTurnKill  
0 / 0 / 2 / Gardevior
0 / 0 / 1 / Glare_of_the Loxodon
0 / 0 / 1 / Glasir 
0 / 0 / 1 / Golden_Shot
0 / 0 / 2 / Greatlordofall
0 / 0 / 1 / Habreno 
0 / 0 / 1 / Harbinger5
0 / 0 / 1 / IzzetGizmoman
0 / 0 / 1 / MagicChoco
0 / 0 / 1 / Morgothra 
0 / 0 / 1 / MystErikEry
0 / 0 / 2 / Q_is_564453
0 / 0 / 2 / Reag
0 / 0 / 1 / stinkyjoeterry
0 / 0 / 1 / Tevish Szat
0 / 0 / 1 / Thatwhichwasborrowed
0 / 0 / 1 / theatog 
0 / 0 / 1 / tyranno6
0 / 0 / 1 / vlord 
0 / 0 / 1 / Yushang

The Third Hunt...

.. completed. Winner; Chintastica.

Leaderboard updated.

The Fourth Hunt...
[indent]... pending[/indent]

Leaderboard updated.

The Fourth Hunt...
[indent]... pending[/indent]

I'll give you a cookie if you make it when I'm around this time.
Get ready.

A new Action for the Fourth Hunt as well as five additional Hunter Roles (bringing the total up to ten) and a revamp of the Hunters.

The 'Walker for the Fourth Hunt has alreade been fleshed out.

I can't wait. Good to be (not) back,   

Seriously people this is an ST contest we're talking about here how has no-one asked what the criteria is / if there is one?

ST f you're teasing me with this I might cry a little. 

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Goddam.
Goddam.

Stick around, Imi. There's going to be another one. 

The Fourth Hunt... .. completed. Winner; Chintastica, the only player to have won 2 Hunts. Congratulations, Chin. 

After careful consideration, I'm upping the number of points for a Planeswalker Win from 2 to 3, so a win by the 'Walker is three times as valuable on the Leaderboard as a Hunter Win... That **** is haaard...

... Still lurking around in the hope that a fifth hunt isn't too far away ;)
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

It's not. Expect it to start in about 10½ hours from now - keep an eye out for the new thread.

It's not. Expect it to start in about 10½ hours from now - keep an eye out for the new thread.

I'm probably going to be out by then, but I will for sure be around within the next 10-12 hours. Can I be rude enough to ask you to hold a spot for me for 12 hours seeing as show I missed #4?
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

I'm probably going to be out by then, but I will for sure be around within the next 10-12 hours. Can I be rude enough to ask you to hold a spot for me for 12 hours seeing as show I missed #4?

You're welcome to ask, but that wouldn't be fair to anyone. Sorry.

Second post updated. The Fifth Hunt has started - community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...