Idiodyssey #24 - Timmy cheats

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

[b][i]Idiodyssey[/b]

(This is a column dedicated to previewing my custom made set, Idiodyssey.
For more information on the set, please use the link below.)[/i]

[indent]Hybrid design is some of the hardest there is. This is why you see "cheater" cards in sets with hybrid designs. What are cheater cards? Well...[/indent]

IMAGE(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Rush_Clasic/ShimmeringDrydan.jpg)IMAGE(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Rush_Clasic/FaceLifter.jpg)
IMAGE(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Rush_Clasic/TyphoonElemental.jpg)IMAGE(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Rush_Clasic/SkyShredder.jpg)

• Episode 24
  • Text Version
    Shimmering Drydan ()
    Creature - Spirit
    , : Remove all creatures from the game. Then each artifact and enchantment becomes an X/X Spirit creature until end of turn, where X is equal to that permanent's converted mana cost. At end of turn, return each card removed from the game this way to play under its owner's control.
    Reality is but a trick of the mind.
    4/6
    #244 - Rare

Face Lifter ()
    Creature - Illusion
    , : Put a token into play that is a copy of target creature.
    , Sacrifice a creature: Destroy each creature that shares a name with the sacrificed creature.
    "Some say that to mimic is to flatter. Mimic me and see what comes of it."
    - Oreth

2/5
    #205 - Rare

Typhoon Elemental ()
    Creature - Elemental
    : Target creature other than Typhoon Elemental gains flying until end of turn.
    , : Typhoon Elemental deals X damage to each creature with flying.
    You cannot avoid the debris of such colossal storms... you are the debris.
    5/5
    #254 - Rare

Sky Shredder ()
    Creature - Dragon
    Flying
    : Creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn. Creatures your opponents control get -1/-0 until end of turn.
    Legend tells us of the dragons tearing through the clouds. The skies cried in agony, showering the world with their tears.
    4/4
    #245 - Rare

• Making some semi-gold cards helps to fill out a hybrid set without necessarily breaking the philosophy behind the hybrid mechanic.
  • I often have trouble designing interesting Timmy cards, so I'd really like some feedback on these. First... are they Timmy cards? :D
  • I might change the p/t on some of these, since WotC is showing more and more aggression in costing their fatties.
  • Complete Set File
Uh, the first two are not Timmy. The first is a Johnny card, reminding me much of a cross between Opalesence and March of the Machines. It removes itself? How bumming!
The second is also not face-smashy enough and too subtle for Timmy. It notes the cute interaction, but it wants to invest mana once and a card that is rarin' to go. The biggest cards are also often Legends, so the first ability and Timmy don't get along well, even if he wants to coy big stuff like Pardic Dragon.
The third one is the best of the bunch. I like it a bunch, actually. Big creature, big effect, cute combo.
I already commented on the dragon, you sneaky stalker, but it feels like a black card. Stronghold Overseer. It's power and toughness is also low for a six-mana cost creature. And triple colored? What's that about?
I think the wording on the first one could be a bit cleaner. Something like this:[indent], : Remove all creatures from the game. Then each artifact and enchantment becomes a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost until end of turn. At end of turn, return each card removed from the game this way to play under its owner's control.[/indent]Face Lifter, while definitely a good design, just feels really unappealing. I don't like paying six mana for something that will impact the game, but doesn't have much meat behind it. It's the same reason why I don't like playing with shades - They cost a lot of mana for a flimsy 1/1 or 1/2 body. For me, it feels like too much, but it actually is worth playing. True, it does have 5 toughness, but it only has 2 power.

Typhoon Elemental and Sky Shredder, however, are very cool, IMO. They get my Timmy juices going.

Hi, you can call me Q. I used to post a lot.

Shimmering Drydan ()
Creature - Spirit
, : Remove all creatures from the game. Then each artifact and enchantment becomes an X/X Spirit creature until end of turn, where X is equal to that permanent's converted mana cost. At end of turn, return each card removed from the game this way to play under its owner's control.
Reality is but a trick of the mind.
4/6
#244 - Rare

This is an interesting ability. I'm not sure why it's an activated ability on a creature though. I would've made a sorcery out of this.

Face Lifter ()
Creature - Illusion
, : Put a token into play that is a copy of target creature.
, Sacrifice a creature: Destroy each creature that shares a name with the sacrificed creature.
"Some say that to mimic is to flatter. Mimic me and see what comes of it."
- Oreth

2/5
#205 - Rare

This is interesting. I think I would've tried to "mirror" the abilities a bit more though, by making them both cost the same "N, T" I also would've chosen an N/N P/T, because there's no real reason not to. Also, this guy is very powerful (outside serious constructed), and a toughness of 5 makes him very hard to remove.

Typhoon Elemental ()
Creature - Elemental
: Target creature other than Typhoon Elemental gains flying until end of turn.
, : Typhoon Elemental deals X damage to each creature with flying.
You cannot avoid the debris of such colossal storms... you are the debris.
5/5
#254 - Rare

This is interesting. I'd make this card's strategy a little less "obvious" though. The flying cost is too low. The player will instantly just make their opponent's whole army fly, and then wipe them out. Or, they will just pay UUUUU and fly over for the win. With a flying cost of 2U or 1UU, more strategy is required, because it will usually take a few tries to kill all the opponent's guys. I'd also reduce the XGG to the nicer XG under those circumstances.

Sky Shredder ()
Creature - Dragon
Flying
: Creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn. Creatures your opponents control get -1/-0 until end of turn.
Legend tells us of the dragons tearing through the clouds. The skies cried in agony, showering the world with their tears.
4/4
#245 - Rare

There's no real reason for this to be a hybrid card. Hybrid cards with abilities that cost (N)CD need relatively weak abilities, otherwise the card isn't viable outside of its two colours, which defeats the purpose of it being hybrid. Sure, there are some cards in real Magic that do this, but I personally think it's cheez. \:>
Omg! Pegaweb pwns all...

AND WITH LOGICAL EXPLANATION!!!
I already commented on the dragon, you sneaky stalker, but it feels like a black card. Stronghold Overseer. It's power and toughness is also low for a six-mana cost creature. And triple colored? What's that about?

uh... schismotivate? Overseer was a top-down design in Time Spiral, and is therefore not as good for color pie comparison as Ravnica.

@Pegs: look at the witches. all of them are very good, and at least mistmeadow witch is a bomb.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Sets I Made: Fleets of Ossia (complete) | Wavebreak (in progress)

@Pegs: look at the witches. all of them are very good, and at least mistmeadow witch is a bomb.

They're powerful, yes, but is it necessary to make them hybrids? With smaller casting costs, it is (because CD is kind of a tricky cost to pay), but for cards with a CMC of 3 or more, you can just make normal gold cards. \:>
They're powerful, yes, but is it necessary to make them hybrids? With smaller casting costs, it is (because CD is kind of a tricky cost to pay), but for cards with a CMC of 3 or more, you can just make normal gold cards. \:>

not in a hybrid set.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Sets I Made: Fleets of Ossia (complete) | Wavebreak (in progress)

I'll comment in a bit, but first I wanted to say:

I CAN SEE MY OWN THREAD AGAIN! YAY!

Who knew that the new and () symbols could cause so many problems?
Uh, the first two are not Timmy. The first is a Johnny card, reminding me much of a cross between Opalesence and March of the Machines. It removes itself? How bumming!
The second is also not face-smashy enough and too subtle for Timmy. It notes the cute interaction, but it wants to invest mana once and a card that is rarin' to go. The biggest cards are also often Legends, so the first ability and Timmy don't get along well, even if he wants to coy big stuff like Pardic Dragon.
The third one is the best of the bunch. I like it a bunch, actually. Big creature, big effect, cute combo.

Ya, I used Timmy as an over-general term here. I know he gets misunderstood all the time, and I just added to that. Sue me. It removes itself because its easier on the wording. And it doesn't matter, honestly. What's so important about it staying around?
The biggest cards are often legends? More like the biggest cards are occasionally legends. I agree this one isn't very Timmy, though.
Thanks. :D
P/T too low... really? It can be played by two different colors and has a massive board changing ability. Maybe he could be 5/5... idk. I'll have to think about it.
I think the wording on the first one could be a bit cleaner. Something like this:[indent], : Remove all creatures from the game. Then each artifact and enchantment becomes a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost until end of turn. At end of turn, return each card removed from the game this way to play under its owner's control.[/indent]Face Lifter, while definitely a good design, just feels really unappealing. I don't like paying six mana for something that will impact the game, but doesn't have much meat behind it. It's the same reason why I don't like playing with shades - They cost a lot of mana for a flimsy 1/1 or 1/2 body. For me, it feels like too much, but it actually is worth playing. True, it does have 5 toughness, but it only has 2 power.

Typhoon Elemental and Sky Shredder, however, are very cool, IMO. They get my Timmy juices going.

You're right. No need to use the "X" format for this card. I'll edit later.
I liked this so much, I created two objectives with its p/t: (1) I didn't want it to die easily to burn based removal and (2) I didn't want itself to be the ideal target for copying. That's where the odd "2/5" comes from.
Yay!
This is an interesting ability. I'm not sure why it's an activated ability on a creature though. I would've made a sorcery out of this.

This is interesting. I think I would've tried to "mirror" the abilities a bit more though, by making them both cost the same "N, T" I also would've chosen an N/N P/T, because there's no real reason not to. Also, this guy is very powerful (outside serious constructed), and a toughness of 5 makes him very hard to remove.

This is interesting. I'd make this card's strategy a little less "obvious" though. The flying cost is too low. The player will instantly just make their opponent's whole army fly, and then wipe them out. Or, they will just pay UUUUU and fly over for the win. With a flying cost of 2U or 1UU, more strategy is required, because it will usually take a few tries to kill all the opponent's guys. I'd also reduce the XGG to the nicer XG under those circumstances.

There's no real reason for this to be a hybrid card. Hybrid cards with abilities that cost (N)CD need relatively weak abilities, otherwise the card isn't viable outside of its two colours, which defeats the purpose of it being hybrid. Sure, there are some cards in real Magic that do this, but I personally think it's cheez. \:>

Hole filling. I came up with the idea while brainstorming for the () creature in this "cycle." Otherwise, I see exactly what you mean.
Rather than mirror the abilities, I tried to match them to what a spell of the appropriate similar function would be. The mana requirement on the second one might be too low. I didn't want this to be so easily removed, but I do see how it wrecks on casual. Hmmm... I may need to weaken him substantially. Thanks.
Not everything should be so strategically in depth. Some obvious rares are needed. That said, I think maybe upping the flying to might be suitable.
This is a hybrid set. I wanted to have a cycle of rare creatures that "cheat" at being hybrid. It's not something that is abundant throughout the set -- just these and maybe another cycle.
Sign In to post comments