Wight problems

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I am in the middle of a campaign that has taken my party off the matterial plane and into the shadow plane in search of a town that was somehow taken into the shadow plane from the matterial. We are now trapped there for the time being in a town where half the population has been risen as Wight controlled by an unknown "abomination". Upon our arrival we were able to sneak about a bit, but were discovered and to our surprise rather than attacked by the Wight, we were funneled towards the location of the "abomination" which we are unable to identify. We managed to escape the "abomination" by holding up in a church of Pelor where we discovered a few dozen survivors of the Wights including a Cleric of Pelor. Now my problem is that we are trapped in this church and only able to make quick Gurilla style strikes on the Wights that are outside the Church which is protected from them by being Hallowed.
   My question is, is there a quicker way to kill multiple Wight? The church does have a supply of holy water, a Cleric that is surprisingly lucky and our party that consists of lvl 6 rogue, wizzard, barbarian and fighter/sorcerer. The other survivors include normal civilians, namely women and children, and one blacksmith only mildly armed and the Cleric whom has assisted on our few ventures outside. Supplies in the church are enough for the whole group for about 5days, three large casks of holy water and four of sacramental wine. The numbers in the town are ranged into the 2-3hundred ranged. We have killed over 50 some Wights and seeing as there are only assumed to be the 58 survivors in the church that leaves us quite the number to kill as Wights assuming only a few others are holed up in the town. Any time we venture out the doors of the church we are swarmed by 6-10 Wight. Cleric on average can turn 3-4. The church has no hidden passages and the tower we used as lookout was destroyed. The town is the only thing in the "pocket" of the shadow plane we are in and the "abomination" as we have figured out is the key to being able to leave, though killing it would still leave us with Dozens of then unruled Wights to deal with. I know fire is usually good against Wights, but on the shadow plane the DM has a way of making fire do some weird things so we don't use it. I could keep doing our tactical strikes at small parties of Wights, but if there is a way to speed this up rather than taking about 5 more sessions to do. I would like some advice. We have been killing Wites for two sessions now.
This feels like an epic DM fail to me. So talk to the DM and ask him what he has in mind for a solution. It sounds like he has one and is "punishing" you with wight after wight until you guess his solution.

Other than that, do the wights have any other motivation than eating you? Do you have any leverage at all? Could you somehow perform a ritual that shifts the town back to the Prime Material and into the sun which destroys all the wights in a dramatic fashion? Is there a crypt beneath the church that has a secret tunnel that leads to the abomination's lair such that you could get in there and kill it, causing the wights to crumble to dust? Could your heroes suddenly take a dark turn - perhaps the Plane of Shadow is having an affect on these goody-goody PCs - and use the survivors as decoys so the party can escape (and make it up to Pelor later)?

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  How to Adjudicate Actions  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

This feels like an epic DM fail to me. So talk to the DM and ask him what he has in mind for a solution. It sounds like he has one and is "punishing" you with wight after wight until you guess his solution.

Other than that, do the wights have any other motivation than eating you? Do you have any leverage at all? Could you somehow perform a ritual that shifts the town back to the Prime Material and into the sun which destroys all the wights in a dramatic fashion? Is there a crypt beneath the church that has a secret tunnel that leads to the abomination's lair such that you could get in there and kill it, causing the wights to crumble to dust? Could your heroes suddenly take a dark turn - perhaps the Plane of Shadow is having an affect on these goody-goody PCs - and use the survivors as decoys so the party can escape (and make it up to Pelor later)?

The DM does indeed have a plan and solution, but he is a strict policy about not revealing much. The punishment is happening yes, but it is a livable condition. We have managed to actually get some supplies by a clever trick flying our Barbarian to a small market area and was able to get him there and back. We had intended to use such technic again, but the tower we launched him from was destroyed in one the attacks. Which was actually my fault since I was in the tower and provoked the attack on accident. As stated there are NO secret passages or crypts in the church. We have no knowledge of any rite to return the town to prime plane, Sunlight does not kill or injure Wights and yes killing the "abomination" would from our info return the town to prime plane, it would also free the Wites from the "abomination" will and "unleash" them upon the prime plane leaving us in the same predicament of being Wight bound and the additional complication of the Wites being in the prime plane. As to our Heroes haveing a newly developed turn to the dark, not likely as this still presents no solution as the "abomination " has used Shadow mastiff's bay to panic the Civilians and a player out of the church. They are not wanting to make deals or accept sacrifices. The "abomination" knows it owns the town. The "abomination" has made contact. It is calling the whole encounter a game.

Until you address THIS directly with the DM, this situation is going to continue, and there will be more like it.

First question you need to ask:  is the group as a whole having fun with what's happening or is it frustrating?

If you're frustrated, you need to tell the DM about this and the DM needs to be open to your proposed solutions instead of blocking all attempts at solving the problem other than the one he has in mind, and punishing your characters when they go off his rails.  You should explain to him that you have a creative stake in the game too, as well as a desire to have fun with your own ideas, and the story doesn't have to go exactly the way he wants it if he'd just loosen up a little bit, listen to the other players and go along with some of their good ideas.

On the other hand, if what he's doing is fun for the whole group, then no problem.  Just keep guessing solutions until you all die or until you figure out what he wants you to do - that's part of the fun he has in mind for you.  And the way you describe things, it sounds like you're more interested in guessing the DM's solution.  In that case, collaborate with the other players and keep guessing instead of looking for hints outside the group.

In my opinion though, your game has a bigger problem than how your characters will deal with a bunch of wights.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

You are correct. We do intend to try and figure out the DM's solution. We have spoken to him about the difficulty. He has said it is actually not as difficult a solution as we are making it, we simply are not seeing it. THUS why I'm asking for any advice or ideas; to see if others can maybe see another way. We have spent 2 sessions thinking and will continue spending more thinking or keep going til we kill all the Wights in our tactic strike method which does work so far. The DM did block one our ideas. That was actually my fault as I said, I provoked an attack by accident and due to actions on my part the tower was destroyed. SOOOO yeah. The DM does take into account our ideas. We as I said have got him on a few creative ideas which he did not squash. We have no problem playing along with the DM. Just wondering if there is a quicker way of doinhg it or seeing a way out as the way we figure with our current rate it will take about five sessions to clear out the Wights which we have got him to admit is viable. I'm just curious if anyone has alterior ideas has faced similar situations or such. That is all. I'm not bitchfesting aboutthe DM he is more than capable and generous when needed. just sometimes he doesn't want to be to helpful whcih i can understand.
Some games are about being challenged by the game:

1. DM presents a problem.
2. Players suggest a solution.
3. DM adjudicates into fair mechanics according to the rules.
4. Players act and roll accordingly until an outcome is reached.

Other games are about being challenged by the DM's blocks and biases:

1. DM presents a problem with only one solution - his.
2. Players suggest a solution.
3. DM blocks the solution.
4. Players suggest another solution.
5. DM blocks the solution.
6. Players suggest another solution and appeal to his biases.
7. DM "allows it" and adjudicates into unfair mechanics - high DC if he doesn't like the idea, low DC if he does.
8. Players act and roll accordingly until an outcome is reached.

It sounds like you're stuck in this loop. The way to break out of it is to either get him to go with playing like the first example or by playing to his biases to get lower DCs or auto-successes. You know your DM better than we do, so you're going to have to figure that out yourself. Maybe he wants the most "realistic" solution or he wants you to recall a small detail from several sessions ago that you totally forgot or he wants you to "roleplay" more. His kink could be anything and now you're playing 20 Questions to figure it out. Once you do figure out that kink, you should be good to go. That's the game you've chosen to play and we don't know your DM.

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  How to Adjudicate Actions  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

I generally dislike the "one true path" kind of game, but I also know as a DM it is alluring to use. So break down the problem:

1. You are in a town where most of the townspeople were turned into wights
2. This was done by an abomination
3. You are stuck in this town due to the sheer mass of wights
4. If you kill the abomination, the wight problem ends

So...find and kill the abomination. From the DM's perspective, why are you insisting on killing small batches of wights when he tells you there are hundreds? From what you wrote, it is clear the solution is to find out who the abomination is, and to kill him.  
What about this solution to the conundrum?  Use the same ritual that hallowed the temple in the first place to expand the hallowing to wherever the abomination is holed up, find the abomination, then kill it.  Since the Cleric was in the temple before, you could ask him about it.  Alternatively you could look at moving the focus of the hallowing (if its not something too big like the church itself) and using that bubble of safety from the wights to get to the abomination.

If were in your shoes, I would have a talk about pacing with the DM though, because sitting holed up in one place for more than 2 sessions sounds like it is going to get boring.
The church is hallowed yes...We did not hallow it. It was hallowed by a high member of the Pelor when the church was built. The current cleric is able to turn undead, make holy water and for a short time bless weapons. He is not strong enough to do the hallowing nor do we have the materials. We have a wizard, Barbarian, fighter and rogue, not exactly the holy types we are mostly in neutral alignments.

As to focusing the Hallowing.....Dude...It's a church. Church building and their grounds are hallowed by members of the clergy of the religion the represent. It isn't some talesman we just pick up and take about. Asking about the abomination, extention of the the hallowed ground and such was first thing we asked the cleric.

Sitting holed up in the Church was our fault, not the DM's. We have a plan of attack we will try this session. If it is shot down or fails THEN we will blame the DM. Before this we were doing things in a stratagy of tactical strikes. It had nothing to do with the DM other than the number of Wights present which as was stated in an earlier post is bearable due to the churches Hallowed ground.

I came on asking for stratagy advice for a mechanic of the game, a way to possibly overcome a foe; NOT a bitchfest about bad DM's or advice on who I should be blaming. The question was about Wights, which do not die in sunlight or all die when the first is killed. They are undead that retain their intelligence and ability to use arms and tools and have stratagy and despise the living and obey only other higher undead, demons, or the rare living that has a hatred of the living and is evil.  Some you need to read up on your monsters if the advice about getting them to the material plane to burn up or kill the abomination to kill them all is indication. I asked for any ways to kill the wights that may not have been thought of and is in compliance with the creature itself.
I don't know a lot about wights specifically, but it sounds like your DM may just be waiting for you to figure out a more efficient method for dealing with the Wight overpopulation problem.  I'm not sure if they have some weakness you can exploit, as far as I know, they may be vulnerable to Radiant damage, so it's possible to work that into your strategy.  Or maybe you are supposed to find some more utilitarian method, do you know if Holy Water or Sacramental Wine has any effect on the Wights?  

If you've tried all that, the most obvious answer may be the simplest: If the Wights weren't attacking you, but forcing you to confront the Abomonation, then maybe you should just go kill said abomonation first and see where the story goes from there. Otherwise you may just be stuck in a holding pattern.  

Good luck, and let us know what you guys work out! 
Sign In to post comments