A 1001 Survival Guide. What are your best adventuring tips?

723 posts / 0 new
Last post
672. Just to reinforce what others have said until now, before negotiating with anyone, render the barbarian unconsious/mute and paralyzed
673: Eating a beholder corpse does not give you telepathy

674: Consider all sentient monsters potential allies, even when fighting them

675: Don't take prisoners if you have conscious survivors, let them live and they have the potential to be a new ally

676: Just because it looks like a trap does not mean it is one

677: Just because it looks un-trapped doesn't mean it is safe

678: A well used prestidigitation can be more useful than a wish spell

679: Just because they look like an ally does not mean they are one

680: Just because they look like an enemy does not mean they are one
681. Dragon's bodies retain their type even when dead. (Meaning the Green Dragon's blood is still acidic.)
682. Checking for traps when the DM doesn't ask then failing those checks may institute a trap being placed where it wasn't before.
683. When disarming a trap, 1+1 doesn't always equal 2, try 3.
684. When all else fails, try doing it again.
685. Even the small things can hurt you. Scratch that, ESPECIALLY the small things can hurt you.
686. Killing helpless or easily killed things in the middle of nowhere can have bad results. Like strong guardians coming out of nowhere to kill you.
687. The DM is always right. Even when he's wrong.
688. The player is always wrong. Even when they're right.
689. Gods see everything, always.
690. Nerull is the NE god of death because he likes killing, not because he is in charge of it.
690b. We don't know what Wee Jas is the goddess of death. For my money its because she should be in charge of where souls go.
691. No one knows what LN, N or CN mean, not really.
692. If the LG paladin is killing innocents, he isn't LG.
693. If a (advanced) Guardinal comes out of nowhere, you did something wrong and are going to be punished.
694. Gods have Something wrong with them. It may not always be the same thing each time you meet.
695. The elf with blue eyes is your friend. He is also the friend of your enemy.
696. Always be worried if you are instructed to make an army. Especially if you don't know why.
697. LN doesn't mean you can't lie.
698. LN doesn't mean you can't steal.
699. LN shouldn't cheat.
700. LN is not necessarily your friend.
701. CN doesn't mean insane. Not always anyway.
702. CN: "He is NOT as likely to jump off a bridge as cross it."
703. Just because you own the material doesn't make you right. It doesn't even make you knowledgeable.
704. No one really understands the alignments
705. Most figure that the alignments are needed, even if no one understands.
706. Frenzy is a godsend in the right circumstances.
707. Frenzy is a devilsend in most circumstances.
708. "There is no spoon."... No, really, there is no spoon!

We'll get to 1001 sooner rather then later. What happens when we get there?
709. If you meet a kender, or something described as kender like, either run fast or kill it as fast as possible.
710. If you meet a "metal kender", just run. It won't help, but it'll make you feel better.
Only read about three pages, sorry... but, here.

711. SHATTER!! This is one of the most useful spells in the world. It can completely destroy reasonably and unreasonably weighted objects of any material (10 pounds/level, max 100). If you're a spellcaster, just take this spell for a spin one day and you'll be surprised how many uses you can find for it. Otherwise, a wand of shatter should be possible and relatively cheap (unless I'm wrong and it's not... lol)

712. When you're shopping don't bother 'saving' money for future purchases. Planning is good, yes, but you don't know how long it will be before you have the chance to stock up again. Instead, buy 10 extra tindertwigs or something. Who knows??

Which leads me into...

713. EQUIPMENT!!! Obscure equipment, obscure uses of mundane equipment, or even just lots of mundane equipment CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE!!! I know this one's been said many times, but it's that important. Especially if you're the sneaky character in the group... open any book. Go the the 'equipment' section. Take one of everything. Then take a couple more. If it weighs little, always get many! You never know when something will come in use.

And my favourite for last...

714. Environment! Know when and how to use it. I'm not saying it should be your prime concern always, in certain situations, hack-n-slash IS the ultimate strategy. However... keep your mind sharp. If you can find a way to cleverly exploit something like a pile of rocks or a chandelier not only will you and your friends get a huge laugh out of it, but you'll also have the respect of your fellow players, and might even get some bonus XP (if your DM is generous).
Posted by Tovec,
We'll get to 1001 sooner rather then later. What happens when we get there?

It's not important that we get to 1001, but the advice that is given is usuable rather than silly. I have a plan when we get to 1001 anyway.

Posted by Wonton2006,
Only read about three pages, sorry... but, here.

Don't be sorry, there's a lot to read. I like number 712.

(715) If as a spell caster you are having trouble keeping the fighter, paladin, barbarian or tanks from charging into melee combat in the first few rounds. Which results in you not being able to drop the big area affect spells on the enemy and reduce the enemies numbers for the close combat characters, often leading to them getting badly hurt. Cast Evard's Black Tentacles on a group of enemy creatures in the front line, the tentacles will hold the enemy still, crush them inflicting damage each round. Even if the enemy get free it will slow their movement down. The next best thing is that the party tank can't throw themselves into melee combat without get caught in the tentacles as well, so will have to wait on the border of the spell area and dispatch the enemy as they escape the tentacles.

Side note: Just remember that this spell is fine with medium creatures that aren't to strong, but not so useful against large strong creatures. Also warn your fellow players to keep their character out of the spell area, or they will also you crushed.

Prom
(716) Be certain that a foe is defeated before turning your backs to it. You never know when the DM wants to be insidious and have it fake, then use the lack of attention to either sneak away, attack you from behind, or use a magic item. A simple spot check should suffice... maybe.

(717) When you're confronting a prepared group of opponents, who may have abilities you're not familiar with, and your group may be low on hp or resources, it is not the time to "try this ability/spell/maneuver and see what it does". A wasted turn may cost lives.

(718) Before heading into hostilities, know EXACTLY what your abilities, spells, invocations, infusions, maneuvers, tricks and items do. Nothing is more devastating than having your whole plan crumble because of one single overlooked detail, like trying to neutralise the ogre mage with 'Hold Person'.

(719) If the build you're basing your character on means you'll suck until level 15 where you become awesome... it's probably not worth following. Unless you start on 15+, or your party is very lenient.

(720) There are no Magic-Mart, no Magic Item Depot, and no magic item factories. (Unless, of course, the DM says there are.) However, if you want a particular powerful item, you may employ info-gathering about it. Tell the DM you want to find it - he might approve of a fresh adventure hook and build a smaller quest focused on your paladin trying to obtain the Holy Avenger, or such.
(718) Before heading into hostilities, know EXACTLY what your abilities, spells, invocations, infusions, maneuvers, tricks and items do. Nothing is more devastating than having your whole plan crumble because of one single overlooked detail, like trying to neutralise the ogre mage with 'Hold Person'.

You'd think this would be common sense, but the number of times I've seen players not what their own characters can and can't do, and as a result slow the game down or make mistakes or whatever, is ... well, a lot.
"The Curse of Knowledge: When you know something, it's difficult to imagine what it's like not to know it."

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

Welcome to Icewind Dale (Legacy of the Crystal Shard)

DMing for My Wife (and Our Friends) (Lost Mine of Phandelver)

Never underestimate low-level spells.

Buy a wand of Grease.

Spontaneous casters should take Heighten Spell.
172. Just because a spell is designed to do one thing doesn't mean it can't do another.

Specifically, this is what our Warlock did once.

We were in an orc mercenary encampment, trying to convince the leader to stay neutral in a civil war (As opposed to siding with our enemies). The leader said that he would take our offer if the Warlock could defeat a spellcaster in combat.

Here's how the battle goes: the Warlock had previously readied an action for some sort of retreating/escaping thing (It created an image of himself, and he could move 60 feet away). His opponent goes first, and begins with Magic Missile.

The Warlock immediately reacts to the spell by using his readied action to make his image appear to fall down dead, and appears directly behind the spellcaster. He succeeds in his Move Silently check (As well as his Bluff check, which was him moving behind the spellcaster using the spell) and waits for his next turn. Spellcaster hits his image with another Missile, just to make sure he's dead, and the Warlock responds by hitting him with two maces, bringing him to 1 HP, and ending the battle next turn.

The moral of the story? A spell's intended use does not necessarily need to be its practical use.

We were in an orc mercenary encampment, trying to convince the leader to stay neutral in a civil war (As opposed to siding with our enemies). The leader said that he would take our offer if the Warlock could defeat a spellcaster in combat.

Here's how the battle goes: the Warlock had previously readied an action for some sort of retreating/escaping thing (It created an image of himself, and he could move 60 feet away). His opponent goes first, and begins with Magic Missile.

The Warlock immediately reacts to the spell by using his readied action to make his image appear to fall down dead, and appears directly behind the spellcaster. He succeeds in his Move Silently check (As well as his Bluff check, which was him moving behind the spellcaster using the spell) and waits for his next turn. Spellcaster hits his image with another Missile, just to make sure he's dead, and the Warlock responds by hitting him with two maces, bringing him to 1 HP, and ending the battle next turn.

The moral of the story? A spell's intended use does not necessarily need to be its practical use.

I agree with your sentiment, but I'm surprised that your DM let the encounter go the way you say it did. There are a number of things the warlock shouldn't have been able to do, such as ready an action before initiative is rolled. Also, the image created by the warlock's flee the scene invocation only lasts for 1 round. You make it sound like it was there for at least two rounds. Maybe it's just the way you're telling it though ... I wasn't there so shouldn't really comment.
"The Curse of Knowledge: When you know something, it's difficult to imagine what it's like not to know it."

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

I agree with your sentiment, but I'm surprised that your DM let the encounter go the way you say it did. There are a number of things the warlock shouldn't have been able to do, such as ready an action before initiative is rolled. Also, the image created by the warlock's flee the scene invocation only lasts for 1 round. You make it sound like it was there for at least two rounds. Maybe it's just the way you're telling it though ... I wasn't there so shouldn't really comment.

I think I might have mis-described it. The Warlock was alone in the camp, and another party member (I believe it was the Bard) cast Comprehend Languages on him, because nobody else in the party could speak Orcish.

As soon as the Warlock got inside, before he even met with the orc leader, he readied a Flee the Scene so that he could run if the orcs suddenly attacked him. I have no idea if the rules allow he keep aforementioned readied action up into combat, but the DM allowed it.

As for the round thing, it only lasted one round. The caster hit him with the Magic Missile, and he used his readied action to Flee the Scene. That was his turn, so the caster went for his next turn, which was to hit the image with another Missile to make sure he was dead. On the Warlock's next turn, the image vanished, and he got his attack.
I have no idea why people are saying "never say no to cure potions/spells." Any half-decent evil spellcaster will make potions of inflict or cast harm on you, when you think you're getting heal. Both have Will saves attached, you usually just fail healing ones. Intentionally failing Will saves is BAD!

A piece of evidence. Party Fighter recieves a harm spell from an evil cleric in disguise. Combat insues, and the fighter winds up with about 3 hp. Immediately after the evil cleric dies, a "priest of Pelor" runs up and offers the wounded fighter a cure potion. Fighter promptly dies, DM laughs.
Card Dump!

Keywords
Challenge: When ~ comes into play, all opponents may put a Legendary creature card with the same or smaller converted mana cost as ~ into play without paying its mana cost.
Posted by Ekko,
I have no idea why people are saying "never say no to cure potions/spells." Any half-decent evil spellcaster will make potions of inflict or cast harm on you, when you think you're getting heal. Both have Will saves attached, you usually just fail healing ones. Intentionally failing Will saves is BAD!

A piece of evidence. Party Fighter recieves a harm spell from an evil cleric in disguise. Combat insues, and the fighter winds up with about 3 hp. Immediately after the evil cleric dies, a "priest of Pelor" runs up and offers the wounded fighter a cure potion. Fighter promptly dies, DM laughs.

Pointed noted Ekko, that seems like a pretty cruel turn of event's. I've been in a party that has drunken potions of heal and they have been poisoned, so it does happen. I've also accidently cast healing spells with a cleric that have killed a character because they were altered to a negative aura.

I think your point is that people need to make sure that the potion or spell they use is going to actually do what they think it will, like heal a character.

Prom

Fair enough.

Merry Christmas everybody!

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

On Summoning...

Be Specific. We went over several scenarios before bursting into a warehouse full of 3 baddies, because we were going to drop an Earth Elemental right inside. We were going over what exactly we had to order it to do, because...

1. "Kill everything that's not us."
- There are possibly orphans inside, so it could end up killing what we're trying to save.

2. "Kill anything that isn't humanoid."
- The enemies might have been humanoid, so it could end up doing nothing.

3. "Kill anything with more than 2 legs."
- Maybe it was a warehouse full of furniture? The Elemental could end up attacking nothing but tables.

From 3 came our infamous 'Table Elemental' creature, which will probably never be created, but it's still hilarious to think about.
"Kill anything carrying weapons that is not us."
Problem solved, let's go eat pie.
Ok what about Monks and Wizards who don't carry weapons?
hence "Not Us"
hence "Not Us"

But Wizard and the Monks are not carrying Weapons or armor.
Then cast detect evil on the elemental so it can see evil things and tell it to attack those. Or if you are evil, kill everything but us. problem solved, lets go eat cake.
You know guys there is a reason why the player that summons the elemental is in control of it. It so you make the choices as to what is will attack. If you summon an elemental and send it in during an hostage negotiation you deserve for it to kill everything and their grandmothers. After which your DM should hand you a nice alignment change befitting that evil deed.
If this hasn't been before:

Always bring a spare pair of socks.

Trenchfoot = bad.
Ok what about Monks and Wizards who don't carry weapons?

Both monks and wizards Can carry weapons and should carry them for multiple situations.
Besides that once the Elemental kills the things that aren't the monk and wizard all you have to deal with are those two.

*626. Never trust clerics of the temple of Pelor.
627. Just because the monk is LN doesn't mean he likes you.
627b. If the monk doesn't like you means he is more likely to side with the enemy if you are doing something against his code.
628. The alignment system is messed up, make sure you know what your DM expects and don't assume you are safe in your perceived view of alignment.
629) Disintegrate is not a combat spell. It is a swiss army knife. Almost any environmental challenge (traps, doors, walls) can be dealt with by Disintegrating it.

One of my favourite memories is the time our cleric put on a Necklace of Strangulation. My drow wizardess knelt on his chest, said "don't move!", and fired a disintegrate at the necklace at point blank range.

Now, one of these necklaces can only be persuaded to release with a Limited Wish or better. I argued that I was not trying to make it release - I was attempting to destroy it, and it would have to save like any other magic item.

The necklace failed its save (although the DM may have fudged it - I'll never know). It was a nice moment.
629) Disintegrate is not a combat spell. It is a swiss army knife. Almost any environmental challenge (traps, doors, walls) can be dealt with by Disintegrating it.

One of my favourite memories is the time our cleric put on a Necklace of Strangulation. My drow wizardess knelt on his chest, said "don't move!", and fired a disintegrate at the necklace at point blank range.

Now, one of these necklaces can only be persuaded to release with a Limited Wish or better. I argued that I was not trying to make it release - I was attempting to destroy it, and it would have to save like any other magic item.

The necklace failed its save (although the DM may have fudged it - I'll never know). It was a nice moment.

Brilliant!

630) Always keep at least one spell for every energy type, scrolls are good for this, wands are better. You never know what you'll run into that only vulnerable to certain energy types!
Posted by Tovec,
*626. Never trust clerics of the temple of Pelor.

Why is this? Some explanation would be nice. If you have a personal experience of something bad happening with a cleric of Pelor, then please use it to illustrate your point.

Prom

P.S. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just seems like a heavy generalization.
Why is this? Some explanation would be nice. If you have a personal experience of something bad happening with a cleric of Pelor, then please use it to illustrate your point.

Prom

P.S. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just seems like a heavy generalization.

It's because people like to give clerics of Pelor a hard time for their "goody two-shoes" stereotype.

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

Prom

Haven't you heard? Its now "Pelor of the burning hate".
Haven't you heard? Its now "Pelor of the burning hate".

I remember reading a thread a while back that argued that Pelor was really evil ...

~ Steven Pinker

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

630) Always keep at least one spell for every energy type, scrolls are good for this, wands are better. You never know what you'll run into that only vulnerable to certain energy types!

This is true.
Card Dump!

Keywords
Challenge: When ~ comes into play, all opponents may put a Legendary creature card with the same or smaller converted mana cost as ~ into play without paying its mana cost.
631# ALWAYS

have some way to get out of jail, for rogues have a small thin set of thieves tools sewn in the hems of ALL your clothing.

They will always take your weapons and equipment, but they will leave you your shirt and trousers.

(Downside is if you are found out you end up in jail naked)

632# Want to get into the heavily guarded corrupt kings castle? Pretend to be drunk and insult the guards. Get thrown in jail, break out complete objective. Why spend hours planning a dangerous way to get over the heavily guarded walls?

(631 also works well as a way to hide a few gp)

Prom

Has to do with some clerics and favoured souls of Pelor. They weren't all that preachy but they were annoying. They figured that so long as they were healing us we would stand for them being annoying. The idea was flawed, with one of the clerics we left them behind, the favoured soul we ended up killing, another cleric we sent in (solo) to kill a vampire, the last cleric we failed to save when he was unconscious. These 4 examples were played by 3 people over many different campaigns. Needless to say, annoying clerics don't last. Best NG cleric to date was a mute.
Posted by Tovec,
Has to do with some clerics and favoured souls of Pelor. They weren't all that preachy but they were annoying. They figured that so long as they were healing us we would stand for them being annoying. The idea was flawed, with one of the clerics we left them behind, the favoured soul we ended up killing, another cleric we sent in (solo) to kill a vampire, the last cleric we failed to save when he was unconscious. These 4 examples were played by 3 people over many different campaigns. Needless to say, annoying clerics don't last. Best NG cleric to date was a mute.

Do you have anyone in your current group that plays a cleric that you plan to not get killed, or is this priviledge reserved for Clerics of Pelor only? LOL.

Anyway, I think you have high-lighted a new important piece of advice, thanks.

(633) Do not create or play a character that annoys the other players, or they might just find a way to get your character killed.

Prom
631# ALWAYS

have some way to get out of jail, for rogues have a small thin set of thieves tools sewn in the hems of ALL your clothing.

They will always take your weapons and equipment, but they will leave you your shirt and trousers.

(Downside is if you are found out you end up in jail naked)

632# Want to get into the heavily guarded corrupt kings castle? Pretend to be drunk and insult the guards. Get thrown in jail, break out complete objective. Why spend hours planning a dangerous way to get over the heavily guarded walls?

(631 also works well as a way to hide a few gp)

Pfft any jails I'll create would take your cloths and gives you uniform looking rags that'll make you stand out from any community. Now for holding it maybe a little different...
634) If your character has d4 hit dice, having a CON of 14 will nearly double your hp. This is one reason why people play gnomes. The other is that you can use a Paladin as your mount.

635) A caster's best defence is standing behind a fighter. Keep at least a couple of buffing spells handy, to remind your fighters that they want to keep you alive. For arcane casters, Speed is a good choice. Usually, you can do more damage by giving the fighters one extra attack per round than you can with the usual evocation spells.

636) Likewise, every rogue loves receiving a Greater Invisibility. Knowing this spell, therefore, is your best defence against being double-crossed by the party's assassin.

637) Experienced players mostly agree that spells that do hp damage are a waste of a slot. The arcane caster's niche is special effects - things that fighters and clerics cannot do. The exception is Scorching Ray - especially if you take Sudden Maximize as a feat, or invest in a Rod of Maximize (lesser). But don't forget the penalty for firing into melee.

One of my favourite characters ever was Katsuhiko - a human gestalt Shujenga/Sorcerer. A follower of the path of the Gentle Rain, Katsuhiko had no spells that did hp or permanent ability damage and did not carry a weapon. His spells were things like Color Spray, Grease, Dispel Magic, Break Enchantment, Dismissal, Feather Fall, Speed, Expeditious Retreat (swift).

Despite what the "sorcerer=artillery" crowd may think, this guy rocked. In Savage Tide, we crested a ridge to see a town below us in battle, and a trio of Vrocks were doing the dance of ruin. In the first round, Katsuhiko
  • Cast Expeditious Retreat (swift) as a swift action - +30' move for one round
  • moved 50' to get within close range of the Vrocks
  • Cast Dismissal, and beat the Vrock's opposed roll.
Beautiful. The remaining two Vrocks proceeded to attack him and damn near killed him in the first round, but there you go. It was a sweet combo.
142 The light spell can be cast on objects. This includes that drow and orc over there in the dark corner.

No, actually it can't. Unattended object DOES NOT MEAN THAT DROW AND ORC OVER THERE IN THE DARK CORNER FOR THEY ARE NOT OBJECTS!!!!!!!!!!!

638: Always make sure your party's bard is evil. Charisma works much better than brute force and big armies. For instance, something that happened to me:
Bard bluffs his way into meating with the king alone, the facinates him, stick a dagger in his throat and uses his disguise kit to look like the king. He later sent the nation he was ruling to war against the elven nation, causing both to crumble into smithereenes. He later reapeted that for 2 more kingdoms.
No, actually it can't. Unattended object DOES NOT MEAN THAT DROW AND ORC OVER THERE IN THE DARK CORNER FOR THEY ARE NOT OBJECTS!!!!!!!!!!!

638: Always make sure your party's bard is evil. Charisma works much better than brute force and big armies. For instance, something that happened to me:
Bard bluffs his way into meating with the king alone, the facinates him, stick a dagger in his throat and uses his disguise kit to look like the king. He later sent the nation he was ruling to war against the elven nation, causing both to crumble into smithereenes. He later reapeted that for 2 more kingdoms.

No, if your bard is evil, then he will probably bluff you all into giving him all of your money, then suggest you to insult that ancient wyrm's mother

Why doesn't anyone realize just what the rules will let you do.
(Object):The spell can be cast on objects, which receive saving throws only if they are magical or if they are attended (held, worn, grasped, or the like, by a creature resisting the spell, in which case the object uses the creatures resisting the spell, in which case the object uses the creature's saving throw bonus unless its own bonus is greater. (This notation does not mean that a spell can be cast only on objects. Some spells of this can be cast on creatures or objects.) A magic item's saving throw bonuses are each equal to 2+one half the item's caster level.

Seems like you can cast it on any object attended or not. I mean since Light neither allows a save nor is it effected by spell resistance I think you can target any object with it. Be it the armor of the drow or the Orc. Though you might be able to hit them with it directly depending on your DMs ruling of that part in ().
638. Always pay attention to the local flora, especially if you are a druid, and especially if you are on an uncharted island.

639. Rogues should never get bored with keeping 30 ft. ahead of the party in a dungeon, even if it doesn't help for an hour straight. Luck would have you run into a small horde of orcs the one time you choose not to.

640. Small fountains full of gold coins with a statue in the middle, found inside of a completely ransacked dungeon is a trap. Always.

641. If you go around chopping down trees/breaking branches off/whatever else, the DM will fail to let you know that your hands and arms are covered with sticky sap until right when you try to read a scroll or a fragile book.

642. Don't bank your battle plan on assuming that the DM will allow the enemy's blood to be considered 'impure water,' although it is funny to see the DM try to come up with the effects of having a gnoll's blood suddenly replaced with water by your 'Purify Water' spell.

643. A flask of oil, a bit of clothe, and a candle can make an excellent Molotov Coctail.

643 a. Hand-made Molotov Coctails will always be subject to saving rolls against shattering open.

643 b. Covering the choke-point of a major battle with tinder and twigs not only gives you an advantage of hearing when the enemy's coming, but will also react favorably when you use a Molotov Coctail on the affected area. ;)
Sign In to post comments