A 1001 Survival Guide. What are your best adventuring tips?

723 posts / 0 new
Last post
564. Displacer cloaks are must have in our games. Sorry that was not clarified. The idea of everyone having a Displacer Beast does sound great thought, LOL. We could be the Displacer Claw/Flaw gang.
Naw, it works. You can't be confused by images you can't see

Actually, assuming you're using the real mirror image, it doesn't work. Only if you're using the simplified everything in one square version does this become a viable tactic.
Always roleplay well, if you bother a DM by not playing your char like you said you would, baaaad things happen to you.

My current DM allowed his younger brother to play with us. He made a half-fiend rogue, however he acted just like a normal person, just with special powers. The DM asked me (in private) to poison him at our next meal. I gladly obliged.

Respect the DM!!!!
Always roleplay well, if you bother a DM by not playing your char like you said you would, baaaad things happen to you.

My current DM allowed his younger brother to play with us. He made a half-fiend rogue, however he acted just like a normal person, just with special powers. The DM asked me (in private) to poison him at our next meal. I gladly obliged.

Respect the DM!!!!

I don't mean to be a Rules Lawyer buy you and your DM forgot that Half-fiends are immune to poison.
I don't mean to be a Rules Lawyer buy you and your DM forgot that Half-fiends are immune to poison.

LOL. Serves them right for such blatant metagaming. ;)

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

Would you like to help build the D&D 5e forum community?
You can start by introducing yourself here.
Magical arrows can be useful in a pinch, but it's a money drain in the long run. If you absolutely need magic arrows, ask the wizard or cleric to prepare Magic Weapon or Greater Magic Weapon for you.

Teamwork is a wonderful idea. Unless your character concept explicitly requires you to be a secretive, xenophobic, obsessive lone wolf, you should share what you can do and try to make it work with the others. Especially if you're a caster.

Pay attention to written clues. Sometimes, the DM wants to test your puzzle-solving skills as well, and the cryptic clues on the wall may solve it easily. And when you ignore the obvious clue in favor of bashing the door open, the DM can get a bit fed up.

If doing something, such as bashing on a door with a puzzle lock, causes you energy damage every time you do it, chances are whoever built it didn't want you to do that sort of thing.

This doesn't mean you can't succeed by doing this (sooner or later, you'll break the door... if you're still alive). But it won't be painless.

The DM usually approves of creative thinking.

Bashing down everything and killing everyone does not constitute creative thinking.

Don't whine and complain just because you did something boneheaded and got punished for it.

An ability score of 10 means 'average'. Just because most PCs have higher scores does not mean a commoner is a weakling or a gullible idiot. And don't assume the merchant has average scores either.

Goblins have the same average intelligence as the average human. Just because they live in dirty caves and generally don't speak common doesn't mean they're gullible morons who will fall for any trick. They're cunning.

Don't assume every monster is a moron who will only charge directly at you or stand and fight. Don't assume every monster has the ability scores noted in the book. Don't assume they have only the mentioned HD.

Retreating is craven and cowardly. It also usually results in you surviving another day.

Retreating rarely works when your opponent is faster than you, unless you have a way of movement they can't follow, such as flying or burrowing.

Retreating through the corridor you previously trapped heavily - and you know where the triggers are - can be a surprisingly effective tactic.

Tanglefoot bags can save your life.

Scrolls are expensive in the long run, but they can drastically expand your arsenal.
Magical arrows can be useful in a pinch, but it's a money drain in the long run. If you absolutely need magic arrows, ask the wizard or cleric to prepare Magic Weapon or Greater Magic Weapon for you.

Don't enchant Arrows enchant your bow which will then bestow that bonus to any ammo you you fire from it. People who just enchant arrows are just wasting cash.
Actually, assuming you're using the real mirror image, it doesn't work. Only if you're using the simplified everything in one square version does this become a viable tactic.

According to the description of Mirror Image in the SRD, it is a viable tactic. (This has been quoted before but I'll repeat it here)

From SRD (very end of Mirror Image)-

An attacker must be able to see the images to be fooled. If you are invisible or an attacker shuts his or her eyes, the spell has no effect. (Being unable to see carries the same penalties as being blinded.)

Oops, forgot to post -

581 (I think) – As a spell caster, Energy Substitution (Sonic) is your friend.

582 – The enemy of your enemy is only your friend if he’s currently helping you flank your common enemy. Once your common enemy is defeated, all bet’s are off.

583 – If a seemingly helpless NPC is smiling, run.
(584) Avoiding ambushes can be difficult even if you do search, spot and listen checks. But when the party is clearly outnumbered and out-classed because extra enemies have jumped out of nowhere, that's when it's time to try and escape.

Escaping ambushes is not as easy as it sounds, so be prepared for Plan B. Have your character fight as long as you can, as hard as you can and die as a hero should.

Prom
(584) Avoiding ambushes can be difficult even if you do search, spot and listen checks. But when the party is clearly outnumbered and out-classed because extra enemies have jumped out of nowhere, that's when it's time to try and escape.

Escaping ambushes is not as easy as it sounds, so be prepared for Plan B. Have your character fight as long as you can, as hard as you can and die as a hero should.

Prom

585) If an encounter looks too easy, be suspicious.

(p.s. for the record, it wasn't an ambush, it was a trap. There's a difference.)

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

586) When going out for an adventure, make sure to bring plenty of steak. Those orcs are hungry too!

(long story short, it was my first dnd session, we were low on health, and the only thing I had was a steak in my bag)

Prom

Dying is not a battle plan. It's something that happens when you have no good battle plan.

Escaping is the choice of a coward, but a coward who may live. Duking it out 'til the last drop is usually only the preferrable choice if you think you may be able to finish off your foes before they finish you off, and if you think fleeing may be more harmful than fighting (such as if they have archers and/or casters who prefer if you're at a distance).
According to the description of Mirror Image in the SRD, it is a viable tactic. (This has been quoted before but I'll repeat it here)

From SRD (very end of Mirror Image)-

An attacker must be able to see the images to be fooled. If you are invisible or an attacker shuts his or her eyes, the spell has no effect. (Being unable to see carries the same penalties as being blinded.)

Yes, but with the proper MI, the images actually occupy different contiguous 5 ft squares, which means you have no way of knowing when your eyes are closed which square the mage actually occupies.
Yes, but with the proper MI, the images actually occupy different contiguous 5 ft squares, which means you have no way of knowing when your eyes are closed which square the mage actually occupies.

So where is this "Proper MI" found? The spell description in both the SRD and the PHB say the spell has no effect when an attacker shuts their eyes. Even if the images go outside the 5' square, your eyes are closed, so you wouldn't see them. You would attack as if the defender (and all other enemies) was invisible to you.

Blinded
The character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.
587) Always take first watch. Nothing ever happens first watch.

588) When lost in a cave/labrynth/maze/tomb or catacomb, always turn left.
589. ALWAYS! ALWAYS!! carry at least two pitons. use them to wedge doors/hatches shut, keep doors open, pry doors/hatches open, secure a rope, drive a crack in stone (thousands of possibilities here), drive a crack in a giants skull, etc. etc. etc.
590.) If you can find ways to boost your speed, do it. Remember, you don't have to outrun the hungry dragon, just the rest of the party.

591.) If the hallway/door/chest/other looks completely innocent and safe, it just means that you failed to detect the traps.

592.) If the hallway/door/chest/other had a trap that you found and disarmed, there is another trap that you didn't see.

593.) If there are no traps, that just mean there's an ambush coming.

594.) Always wear gloves. Contact poison sucks.
Posted by Mooncalf,
Dying is not a battle plan. It's something that happens when you have no good battle plan.

Escaping is the choice of a coward, but a coward who may live. Duking it out 'til the last drop is usually only the preferrable choice if you think you may be able to finish off your foes before they finish you off, and if you think fleeing may be more harmful than fighting (such as if they have archers and/or casters who prefer if you're at a distance).

I don't disagree with you. My point is that somethings are going to kill a character or party no matter the planning or tactics, so make a good show if your character is going to die.

Prom
595. Trying to use a shield made out of dragon scales against a Red Dragon's fire breath did not really work out for me like it did in the movie Dragonslayer.
596. A torch at times can be just as useful as a sword.
597. Vorpal duels can end very badly if you participate in them long enough.
587) Always take first watch. Nothing ever happens first watch.QUOTE]

Why do you want to be sleeping when something is going to happen? I'd want to be up and prepared just in case.
I don't disagree with you. My point is that somethings are going to kill a character or party no matter the planning or tactics, so make a good show if your character is going to die.

Prom

You got that right, nothing worse then going out with a whimper.
Don't enchant Arrows enchant your bow which will then bestow that bonus to any ammo you you fire from it. People who just enchant arrows are just wasting cash.

Aye, but it's fun to have a +5 seeking bow with +1 flaming frost acid shock holy arrows.
Pay attention to written clues. Sometimes, the DM wants to test your puzzle-solving skills as well, and the cryptic clues on the wall may solve it easily. And when you ignore the obvious clue in favor of bashing the door open, the DM can get a bit fed up.

Unless said door happend to have turned the three or four astral constructs you sent against it (screw the complete psionic nerf) into ecto-slag, then you slowly back away and find a different rout,
(598) Ask for help when you need it. Your not stupid or weak if you need advice from someone else.

Prom
599) When a C/N gnome bard or kender tries to join your group. 1) Beat them up. 2) Tie them up. 3) Steal their stuff. 4) Flee. This will help you to survive and survive with your sanity intact.

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

I remembered some more

357. Code Phrases or Words
Have pre-arranged code words for your party that you can say in conversations.

Warning location of danger:
Example, "what time do you want to eat lunch tomorrow, 3:00 ?" means get ready, suspicious person(s) or danger at our 3 o'clock.

Impromptu Preemptive Strike to commence in next round:
Example, "...... sun was really 'Lit up' today...." with Lit Up as the key words, because the sun is the brightest light and it does not need to be lit.

358. Rendevous location
Works in urban areas better, designate a location other than where you are sleeping if something dangerous happens and you can not go back to your lodgings and the party is split up.

very good ideas!
600- Fire, especially forest fire. When used correctly the smoke can cover your movements, be a big nuisance to everyone in the smoke, fire block passage and damage the ennemies, and anger the local druids.

601- Politics; essentially, by "pulling" the right strings, you can make someone (the mayor/king/ect) do your job at your place (killing the baddies) with minimal cost to yourself.

602- The town guards are there to help you.. well, usually. Enough proof or good diplomacy can net you a squad to back you up or even more.

603- when trying to "lay low for awhile", dont go about your business in town with your usual equipment, armor and battlegear.. Dress up like the joe average and keep your stuff hidden but not too far away.

604- When in hiding from the authorities, sometimes "hide in plain sight" works wonders. They are going to search the outlying houses/caves/sewers but not so much attention to the marketplace.
(605) If your character must shot into melee combat on a regular bases, make sure you have the feats "Point blank shot" and "Precise shot". It also helps if you ask the fighter (tank) to sidestep around the enemy with their five foot step. Moving your own character is also a good idea, so you get a clear shot. If your own party members are providing cover to the enemy because they are in the way, then your not likely to hit much. Then the tanks going to get nailed (followed by you).

Prom
605. Don't just put random stuff in your mouth. That potion-bottle/fountain/pool/table of food could well be poisoned, or at least inedible, or you might be forbidden to consume it for some reason (This applies in real life, too!).

606. 605 is what detect poison is for. That spell is NOT useless.

607. Always try to have a sense of probabilities about you. If a fireball hits you for 30 damage, and you know you can take up to three more hits like that before being killed, then you know whether to run, fight, or surrender.

608. If the same advice is given to you repeatedly, it's either very good advice or people are conspiring against you.

609. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you're wrong about the danger.

610. If you can't damage it, stun it, knock it out, or insta-kill it, when what the hell are you fighting it for?
611) Rogues should consider Boots of Levitation. Why make a Move Silently check when you can hover just high enough to make no noise, or let someone be bait to pull the baddies through the door you are floating over. Sneak attacks abound.
611) Rogues should consider Boots of Levitation. Why make a Move Silently check when you can hover just high enough to make no noise, or let someone be bait to pull the baddies through the door you are floating over. Sneak attacks abound.

Boots of Levitation only let you go up and down (as per the levitate spell). Also, they wouldn't negate the need for a Move Silently check. Having your feet not touch the ground doesn't make you totally silent. Your clothing and equipment would still rustle and clink, etc etc. There would probably also be a bit of noise from you moving through the air as well. If you don't want to have to make a Move Silently check, then you need to use silence.

~ David G. Allen

Boots of Levitation only let you go up and down (as per the levitate spell). Also, they wouldn't negate the need for a Move Silently check. Having your feet not touch the ground doesn't make you totally silent, after all. You need a silence spell for that.

Hmm.....well its a good thing we got bored of that campaign the day I bought those boots.
612) If the party's Centaur says that he is not giving your Rogue Halfling a ride like "any good horse" then do not try climbing up on them for a gallop.
613)Always cut of the head of a vampire you are trying to kill. The stake you inserted may have just grazed the heart and then you have one angry vampire.
614)An aggressive party member with a sword of slicing in a dark room that does not at least have blind fighting can be just as dangerous as a Red Dragon.
615) If your party has a Druid with an animal companion do not try to ride it with out permission. Its considered rude and dangerous.

616) If you come into the room after being gone for a minute and the party says they have a plan and send you off on your own with out telling you anything but were to go. You are the bait.

617) If the party just randomly decides to spilt up before going into a known battle, go with the character you like the least. This can end a few different ways but 2 of 3 common solutions end in your favor. 1 you get in over your head and ditch them before they can ditch you good for you, 2 you both end up over your heads and they ditch you before you can get out bad for you, 3 you both fight bravely beside one another and you get through fine, this is the true goal of the battle because your characters now have a reason to get along and proof already that they can.

Luckily the one time number 617 happened the 3rd option is how it turned out. Even though I could of gotten away from the battle.
618. Make sure the DM knows your marching order.
619. Make sure the DM knows your sleeping habbits both in the city and in the wild.
620. Failure to comply with rules 618 and 619, or suddenly changing them when the DM asks, will result in a near-TPK because of misunderstandings.
621. The gods don't care about the plight of mortals, not even your own god.
622. The DMPC will always get better loot from the gods then you. Deal with it.
623. (I think this was stated earlier) Even if you have an everburning torch, carry some tindertwigs and regular torches. Fire is good.
624. Worship the lady of pain, unless you live in Sigil.
625. "My deity is the goddess of death and magic." isn't a good enough reason for the LN "paladin" to do blatantly CN (siding CE) things!\
626. Time travel will be meddled with by a first time DM, he will mess it up. As a player try not to abuse his mess up and be nice, or you can be marked for death from that point on.
627. Custom builds are inherently broken, play test them and ask other people before instituting them.
627b. Any base save progression which increases 1 per level (for +10 at 10th) IS BROKEN!
628. DON'T DESTROY THE PLANE!
Like I said, man: NEVER say no to healing potions. 'Specially if they're free or at another party member's expense.

147. Don't take prisoners unless your moral code demands it OR you think you stand to benefit significantly from lugging one around. Prisoners are huge liabilities in dungeon settings, because must you simultaneously watch out for them and watch THEM while still being aware of possible external threats. Plus you have to feed them.
148. If you see a small white rabbit sitting on top of a decapitated corpse, don't panic: just chuck an explosive device at it. If you lack an explosive device, run.

149. Know when to hide. You'd be surprised how many of your problems can be solved with Full Cover or Total Concealment.

150. Don't just attack; make sure whatever beastie that's scaring you is actually hostile first. Animals in the wild generally won't threaten you unless they feel threatened themselves.

I play kobolds. They always take prisoners but for some reason they never last more then a day.:evillaugh
629: Unless fighting a monster with regeneration or fast healing past 0 or the Diehard feat, -1 is enough to keep them out of the fight. Kill them later or take them prisoner.

630: Never doubt the benefit of having a hopelessly cross-classed character in the party, you never know when you might need bait.

631: Draconic, Under-common, Goblin, and Giant are four MUST KNOW languages.

632: A blood-sacrifice to a vampire can earn you friends in high and dark places.

633: NEVER LET THE FIGHTER TALK TO THE KING!

634: AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD KEEP THE ROGUE AWAY FROM THE ROYAL TREASURY!

635: An adept is a surprisingly good hireling in case the cleric goes down.

636: Always have backup gear hidden on your person

637: Carry weapons which can deal at least two types of damage, like the scythe or mace

638: Always carry cheap glass jewelry for bargaining with the stupider monsters

639: A light warhorse, spear, and shortbow is all you need to be a versatile fighter in a wide open area

670: Never leave home with out at least 5 potions of Cure Light Wounds
671: Give your character a back story! Seriously, it will help you develop your character, help your DM and fellow players understand your character and his/her role in the group, and above all its fun and makes for better game play. Its not really an adventure tip, but I had to mention it.
Posted by nightmare_composer,
671: Give your character a back story! Seriously, it will help you develop your character, help your DM and fellow players understand your character and his/her role in the group, and above all its fun and makes for better game play. Its not really an adventure tip, but I had to mention it.

Actually I do think it is a survival tip. If you build a character back story, then you have invested a good deal of time creating it. Which I would like to think will motivate a player to keeping the character alive.

If all you have is a set of numbers, then rolling up another character if they die is no really issue (in theory). I really like this tip.

Prom
Actually I do think it is a survival tip. If you build a character back story, then you have invested a good deal of time creating it. Which I would like to think will motivate a player to keep the character alive.

If all you have is a set of numbers, then rolling up another character if they die is no really issue (in theory). I really like this tip.

Prom

Me too. Bravo, nightmare_composer!

~ David G. Allen