A 1001 Survival Guide. What are your best adventuring tips?

723 posts / 0 new
Last post
418) Carry a dagger in your teeth when swimming or at other dangerous times when your hands are occupied. This has saved me more times then I can remember.
419)Never trust anyone until they have proven they are worthy. Sometimes that strange NPC or other party member is the main villain.
420)There is always someone who is a better swordsman or wizard. Stay humble, otherwise you will have dualists and challengers coming out of the woodwork.
Posted by Pukunui,
Especially when you're the reason they died in battle

I'm not always the one who kills the leader, that was only once and he was very annoying to fight. It's the be-heading I'm fixated on after interrogation.

(421) If you get your character into trouble with the law, be prepared for the consequences. It's nice if you have a way to escape the Jail cell in advance, if you get caught. There's also the group jokes you will have to wear for a while too.

Yes, I've gotten carried away with having my character take matters into their own hand's and had my character thrown in Jail before. I got the party into a bit of trouble with the town law and my character. They didn't take my dimensional stride boots off my character so I had a way out, but didn't need to use it thankfully. It all turned out fine in the end, but the jokes from the DnD group of "do you want to spank this NPC", were long lived (natural consequence).

Prom
I'm not always the one who kills the leader, that was only once and he was very annoying to fight. It's the be-heading I'm fixated on after interrogation.

You've only had the one opportunity really. But I was just teasing you anyway.

but the jokes from the DnD group of "do you want to spank this NPC", were long lived (natural consequence).

I think they've only really stopped because the other players who were there at the time have since gone. The new guys don't know about it. Instead they're teasing you about running away all the time.
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G Allen

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

Welcome to Icewind Dale (Legacy of the Crystal Shard)

DMing for My Wife (and Our Friends) (Lost Mine of Phandelver)

surprised this hasn't come up yet

(422?) When playing rouge or other skillfull class and you have access to the complete .. books. Take the skill tricks! 2pts for some nifty tricks is always fun notably the movement tricks and manipulation sets.
surprised this hasn't come up yet

(422?) When playing rouge or other skillfull class and you have access to the complete .. books. Take the skill tricks! 2pts for some nifty tricks is always fun notably the movement tricks and manipulation sets.

Me too. I especially like the one that lets you touch-up your rouge on the go without the need for a mirror or brush. ;)
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G Allen

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

(423) Torturing NPC's during an interrogation session, needs to be tasteful.

Taseful methods are: Slapping, PC's playing good cop and bad cop, threatening, head in a bucket of water, hanging them upside down from their feet for short periods of time while pouring water over their head (very effective), tickling feet, singing badly for a long period of time (boring for everyone other than the Bard).

Sick methods of interrogation are: cutting limbs off, the thousand cuts method, the use of a professional torture chamber, anything used from the Batman TV show from the 1960's, the hot iron applied to sensitive area's, etc. You get my point, I hope.

You may need the information you can get from a prisoner to avoid your party getting badly hurt, just remember when your dark-side is taking over.

Prom

P.S. Comments made in this post are made in jest and are in noway methods used by the writer of the post.
P.S. Comments made in this post are made in jest and are in noway methods used by the writer of the post.

Yeah right. ;)

~ David G Allen

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

(424) When your extra attacks are almost certain to fail consider using them to aid another.

(425) Every character should have some method of escaping a grapple, preferably dimension door.

(426) Many cheap items are generally more effective than one expensive item, stack those bonuses for all you are worth.

(427) Make use of abilities such as sunder, disarm and trip. Especially when your foe is trying to use wands, staffs, ranged weapons, scrolls, etc.

(428) Never let a dragon take a full attack, taking an attack of oppertunity is often worth avoiding this onslaught - also applies to many other creatures.

(429) Always have at least one golem bane scarrab in the party for two thousand gp you can overcome the damage reduction of any golem!

(430) If an encounter seems too powerful consider tactfully questioning it. My party came up against a group of darkmatles and the DM was using their darkness ability incorrectly. The creatures created total darkness which we could not see in and we were required to roll mischances and guess which squares they were in. Looking up darkmantles and discovering they used darkness as the spell I discovered we were only in shadowey illumination we retroacted and proceeded to demolish what had been looking like a lethal encounter.
431: Always, ALWAYS have the caster prepare a light spell. From lighting the passage to blinding creatures, theres nothing it can't do! (seriously, true story: The entire party was fighting a young adult red dragon. The spellcaster had used up all his spells (he prepared mostly fire spells, which sucked...) and all he had left was 1 ray of frost and and a few light spells. He cast light on the dragons eyes, blasted him with the ray of frost, and slunk back into the corner. The dragon was blinded, and that miss chance saved our butts, because we had just gotten done with a lernean pyrohydra... my god i hate those things.)
432: Use spells creatively, use swords without thought, and use a bag of tricks like theres no tomorrow, because if you don't, Lernean Pyrohydra's will eat your home town.
431: Always, ALWAYS have the caster prepare a light spell. From lighting the passage to blinding creatures, theres nothing it can't do! (seriously, true story: The entire party was fighting a young adult red dragon. The spellcaster had used up all his spells (he prepared mostly fire spells, which sucked...) and all he had left was 1 ray of frost and and a few light spells. He cast light on the dragons eyes, blasted him with the ray of frost, and slunk back into the corner. The dragon was blinded, and that miss chance saved our butts, because we had just gotten done with a lernean pyrohydra... my god i hate those things.)

433: Remember that you don't have to prepare 0-level spells. The rest of your list will take enough time to prepare.

434: Read you spells always read your spells. Heck read your friends spells. You never know when you will have to remind someone that the spell they are using has a different effect then they are claiming. Some times its in your favor to know the spells that are being thrown around.

435: Light is a 0-level spell.

Light can't target creatures, let alone blind them.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
436. Beware, a Sphere of Annihilation can be placed in the most unlikely places.

437. The first chance you have, get some kind of water breathing. You will pat yourself on the back when that water starts pouring into the trapped room you are in.

438. Never call the Matron Mother who is sitting on her throne with her subjects all around her a ugly, bottom feeding jezebel.

439. Probably has been said but should be the first rule of survival. Never, never, never separate the party. No matter how fun you think it may be or what secrets you want to keep, just don't do it. If you need secrets then do what you got to do when the party is sleeping at night when you are on watch.

440. Wearing a shield on my back has saved my life more times then I can remember.

441. A shield can be used for bonking someone with just as much as blocking something.
442. If a Centaur gets stuck in a pit, it will take forever to get him/her out of there. Even if they are ranger, do not let them go first.
443. Every group, no matter what level or how powerful they think they are needs a person who can heal and a person to find and remove traps. It can be the same person or through magical means/devices but never leave home without these options.

444. If a suspect or potential enemy says they will be right back then they are either running for the hills or getting some kind of backup to wallop the group. Don't let them move a muscle or from sight.

445. If in dire straits and playing a rogue/bard, swallow the jewel or gem! Hey, you can always get it back later, even though it will not be pleasant.
446: Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but keep the healer in commission at all costs. In a 2 player campaign beginning, me, a fighter, and my buddy, a cleric, I have had to save his hide twice, from forestkith goblins, and from dinosaurs. Both times I could have very well been beaten down while I still nursed the cleric back to health. Try not to have the cleric do much of the fighting.

447: Alchemist's fire is the DnD equivalent of an incendiary grenade; very useful for attack, and blocking off a chase route when escaping.
448. Having the Tumble feat while playing a Monk has worked wonders for me.

449. When playing a Monk, sometimes it is better to just punch the enemy dead in the face instead of trying to get fancy and use predetermined attacks.

450. Being the superb archer of the century is great and all but if you are in places where you cannot use a Bow, have some skill with a sword.

Tumble feat?! Do you mean the feat that grants +2 to Tumble? Or do you mean the Tumble skill?

~ David G Allen

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

It was Tumble back in the 2nd Edition I believe?? It gave +4 to your AC when you tumbled so I used it as a Monk to avoid getting walloped.

449. When playing a Monk, sometimes it is better to just punch the enemy dead in the face instead of trying to get fancy and use predetermined attacks.

450. Being the superb archer of the century is great and all but if you are in places where you cannot use a Bow, have some skill with a sword.

450b. If you are an order of a bow initiate, sell your sword and buy an extra bow.
It was Tumble back in the 2nd Edition I believe?? It gave +4 to your AC when you tumbled so I used it as a Monk to avoid getting walloped.

There were no feats in 2nd edition. Nor were there any monks (at least not in the core 2nd edition game) ...

In 3rd edition, Tumble is a skill. I believe having 5 ranks in it gives you some sort of AC bonus when you're fighting defensively or something. I don't remember exactly. There's also a feat, I believe it's Acrobatic, that grants a +2 to your Tumble modifier.

~ David G Allen

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

Rope has alredy been stressed in this topic, and I beleive how much a rope is shortened when you tie knots into it was brought up. About 2.88 inchs per knot. According to the DMG description of Animated Rope, which shortens by ten feet when a knot is made every foot to end up a 50 foot knoted rope. (144 inchs devided by 50 knots.)

But that AC bonuse only worked when you were tumbling out of combat. You couldn't get that bonus and attack on the same round.

===================================================

There were no feats in 2nd edition. Nor were there any monks (at least not in the core 2nd edition game) ...

In 3rd edition, Tumble is a skill. I believe having 5 ranks in it gives you some sort of AC bonus when you're fighting defensively or something. I don't remember exactly. There's also a feat, I believe it's Acrobatic, that grants a +2 to your Tumble modifier.

Feat and skill are just names that are used to represent some of what used to be called weapon and non-weapon proficiencies. And, in 2nd edition, there was a non-weapon proficiency called tumbling.

And while the monk was not in the core books it was in one of the offical supplement books that came out later on.
Gygaxian is NOT a slur. Those who use it as such should be punched in the face. Repeatedly.
Feat and skill are just names that are used to represent some of what used to be called weapon and non-weapon proficiencies. And, in 2nd edition, there was a non-weapon proficiency called tumbling.

Fair enough. I haven't played 2nd edition in over 10 years. I always hated the term "non-weapon proficiencies" though.

And while the monk was not in the core books it was in one of the offical supplement books that came out later on.

I thought someone would come along and correct me which is why I added the parenthetical comment about the core books ... :P

~ David G Allen

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

"But that AC bonus only worked when you were tumbling out of combat. You couldn't get that bonus and attack on the same round." Exactly what it was used and sorry for calling it a feat. It was called a non-weapon proficiency as I have not played that character or second edition for ten years or more.
(451) Make sure to have atleast one person in the party who can handle the puzzles and riddles your party comes across in a quest. Having a character with high Intelligence or knowledge skills will not solve a quest puzzle but it does help. The simple fact is that players have to use their brain and figure out puzzles, rolling dice doesn't get it done. Talk about the possibilities as a group and trying things out.

Puzzles and riddles may or may not get your character killed but they can slow a game down if you switch your brain off.

Prom
452) Always and I mean always have a way to quickly produce fire. It can be from magic or tools but you must have a way because after your first encounter with Trolls in D&D as a rookie and you cannot get fire going, things get really bad.
453) Never call or think to yourself that the Mind Flayer you meet looks like a calamari dinner plate.
454) When the potentially evil Druid asks you what you would like to eat at the dinner for peace talks do not say their animal companion.
455. Feel free to say NO... If your DM wants your 2nd level party to beat half a dozen Iron Golems, refuse. If your DM sets up a situation that will PWN all of the party, just tell them NO!:lightbulb
damn... didn't realize it couldn't target creatures... ill have to apologize to my DM for that one... thanks for telling me.
(456) Having a horse to ride is helpful for travel, but if you want to fight on horseback, get a warhorse. A DC 20 check for controling a non combat trained horse is tough for anyone to pass. I would not bother getting a warhorse or fighting on a warhorse till you can automatically pass the DC 10 check for fighting with a Warhorse. Don't forget the warhorse needs armour too.

Prom
557. Never I repeat NEVER ask the dm for advice on what to do in a situation, if you are expecting him to just give you the answers you are just too wrong.

558. when you see a room with a checkered floor with both red and blue tiles do not step on the red!
this happened to my players and fits in to 557. so they enter the room
player 1. hmmm red is universaly a color of like death so maybe we should only step on the blue
player 2. well maybe, what do you think [my name]
dm [me]. well there is the small possibility that its just a regular floor. but dont quote me on that
player 1. I dont know maybe we should...
player 2. heck with this we wasted to much time here.
and so he stepped on the floor and after a few steps one of the red tiles exploded under him nocking him down to -5 the other player managed to stabalize him but could not save his legs and so he was nicknamed "stumpy" until he could nab a regeneration spell
559) The group planner needs to have several plans in case things go wrong, if luck isn’t on your side, or time runs out on Plan A. As the planner, keep some books on hand, have a high Knowledge skill or high INT, or be a member of the local library: using all possible resources can help make a plan MOSTLY idiot proof. Plan B is never “murder the hell out of the other guys.” That’s always the final resort.

I say mostly because if everyone isn’t in on the plan things can go horribly awry. Say you’re in the middle of a disguise, in the middle of a meeting of bad people that want you dead. If a new PC or a clueless character walks in on this meeting, you either have a choice of keeping the disguise and possibly killing or locking up the offending PC or falling back Plan B.

560) As a precaution, make sure that everyone is in on a plan. This way they can help and make sure the plan succeeds.

This leads me to my explanation on my contribution:

I have had some interesting adventures that resulted in the party taking a prisoner. Interrogation was odd to say the least. I was playing the Warlock and I realized that I had quite a few ranks in disguise and bluff. We knocked out our intended victim (a Yuan-ti pureblood) and tied him up. My little homebrew race, a tauric snake elf, had the resemblance to a Yuan-ti Halfblood with the proper diguise (In my case, a mask and cloak desgined for those with two legs). So we tied me up as well as our suspect. We had some very unorthodox methods. I was poked and prodded along with our hostage until he finally spilled the beans. We got what we needed and I just pulled the fail-safe knot our Rogue put into my bindings, revealing our deception. Needless to say, our target was mildly angry. Our party, being mostly chaotic neutral, let the CE swashbuckler have his way with the pureblood. While still tied to the chair, he was heaved over the side of the airship.

Now knowing what our groups’ stalkers/would-be assassins motives, we are going to their super secret meeting, me in my Halfblood disguise and our Rogue as my bodyguard. We have several plans lined up, as I seem to be the group’s planner:

One involves us actually getting away with this and letting our Swashbuckler and our backup do their stuff.

If we get caught, we call in the swashbuckler and friends.

Back up-back up plan: if we get caught and it seems that we are grossly outnumbered or over powered, we have the Rogue and her lock picking skills bust us out and the swashbuckler can kill everyone in their sleep like we all know he wants.

I pray we don’t have to use our last resort plan.
If you ever hear that tiny little voice in the back of your head whispering dire warnings to you, LISTEN TO IT!
Gygaxian is NOT a slur. Those who use it as such should be punched in the face. Repeatedly.
558. when you see a room with a checkered floor with both red and blue tiles do not step on the red!
this happened to my players and fits in to 557. so they enter the room
player 1. hmmm red is universaly a color of like death so maybe we should only step on the blue
player 2. well maybe, what do you think [my name]
dm [me]. well there is the small possibility that its just a regular floor. but dont quote me on that
player 1. I dont know maybe we should...
player 2. heck with this we wasted to much time here.
and so he stepped on the floor and after a few steps one of the red tiles exploded under him nocking him down to -5 the other player managed to stabalize him but could not save his legs and so he was nicknamed "stumpy" until he could nab a regeneration spell

Except if I was the DM I would design it so there would be an equal number of blue and red titles that would set off traps. Any real life trap designer would never design a trap that could be circumvented by only stepping on black titles. Now granted with rogue or spell find trap was used yes I would allow them to use it. If you don't have a rogue then sometimes capturing and interrogate dungeon guards or perhaps documentation (Although why would it found in a non secure part of the dungeon is beyond me).
yes well it was my first dungeon, and they were new players so I started it of with something simple, and they had no rogue so I had to make a trap easily avoided
561)

Never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever cast Shroud of Undeath while in the realm of a lich with demi-diefic powers...ever.
433: Remember that you don't have to prepare 0-level spells. The rest of your list will take enough time to prepare.

What do you mean by this? The PHB says spells take a fraction of an hour equivalent to what proportion of your total spell levels they use, but always at least fifteen minutes...or did I miss something? I'd love spontaneous cantrips.
562. Never throw cold water on the neck of a sleeping Dragon. It just does not turn out well for all involved.
563. Displacer, Displacer, Displacer, never leave home without it.
Posted by Shadowshimmer.
563. Displacer, Displacer, Displacer, never leave home without it.

What does this mean? Do you want everyone to bring along a displacer beast with them, lol. A special displacer item (maybe a washer) or have the spell "displacement" prepared. Unless your point is that people should have the spell "true seeing", to reveal a displacer beasts true location. Could you enlighten me please?

(564) It is not necessary to MAX out all your classes skill slots. DC's on a lot of skill checks are not that high.

Examples, with a heal check the most common DC you will need to roll is 15. A ride check is usually going to require a DC 5 to 15 rolled, so there's really no point in having 20 ranks in ride.

Prom
What does this mean? Do you want everyone to bring along a displacer beast with them, lol. A special displacer item (maybe a washer) or have the spell "displacement" prepared. Unless your point is that people should have the spell "true seeing", to reveal a displacer beasts true location. Could you enlighten me please?

I'll second that.

(564) It is not necessary to MAX out all your classes skill slots. DC's on a lot of skill checks are not that high.

Examples, with a heal check the most common DC you will need to roll is 15. A ride check is usually going to require a DC 5 to 15 rolled, so there's really no point in having 20 ranks in ride.

And don't forget that a natural 1 doesn't mean an automatic failure with skill checks, so chances are if you've got a high enough modifier to equal, if not beat, a particular skill DC, then you won't have to roll at all.

However, circumstantial modifiers can affect your skill check or the DC to the point that you might still need to roll, but the DM might just do it for you so you don't know what's happening ...

~ David G Allen

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

Sign In to post comments