Continuation Question

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

I've just started playing and am the DM for my son's friends who are also new. We are playing through the campaign included in the Red Box starter set and will be finishing soon. What would be a good continuation for us noobs?
Thanks for the help. 

Try making something up. Spend some time talking about the kinds of adventures you enjoy and then collaborate on some scenes and encounters that reflect that kind of adventuring. Pre-made adventures are ok, but they try (and fail) to be one size fits all.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Here's something I did once at the end of an adventure when I had nothing else planned: Go around the table, ask every player what was really important to their character and if their character is still seeking something. You will likely hear about types of encounters (puzzle, stealth, slaughter) and about hooks that they've been wanting (an undiscovered book of arcana, an opportunity to rise through the ranks of the Thieve's Guild). You may be surprised to learn what your players think happened during the adventure, and what they have already forgotten. Personally, my maxim is--if the players think something in particular is really important, it is. If they don't care, it wasn't important in the world.

If you need a quick bridge, it's simple enough to tuck a mysterious letter, artifact, or talking skull (has worked well for me) into the final treasure hall. This can lead in whatever direction is needed. A couple of times I have told players that they found a really odd scroll or book and that I'd give them a printout of it next session. Of course, I had no idea what that thing would be until we finished the session and they expressed where their characters were heading. So when we sat down next time I gave them a printout that coincidentally dove-tailed with their thinking.

Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to create my own adventures a little later, but I wanted to be ready with something else when we finish this campaign. I will speak with the players and see what they wanted like you both suggested.

Thanks again.

Some of the Dungeon magazine adventures are available for free (link), and if you buy a one-month subscription to D&D Insider you can download all of the 4E Dungeon adventures.

Thanks for the link and advice. I found  "Keep on the Shadowfell" and "Khyber's Harvest" so those will get me started as well.

BADFISH2 wrote:

Thanks for the link and advice. I found  "Keep on the Shadowfell" and "Khyber's Harvest" so those will get me started as well.

I am in the same situation in that I DMed for my son and friends.

I went the route of running The Keep on the Shadowfell (which took the party to level 4) and then I followed that up with a slimmed down version of Thunderspire Mountain (that took the party to level 6).  The reason I did that was that The Madness at Gardmore Abbey is generally considered one of the best scenarios, so I didn't want to miss it.  If I had done the full Thunderspire, they would have been level 8 or so.

Good luck

The_Jagged wrote:

BADFISH2 wrote:

I am in the same situation in that I DMed for my son and friends.

I went the route of running The Keep on the Shadowfell (which took the party to level 4) and then I followed that up with a slimmed down version of Thunderspire Mountain (that took the party to level 6).  The reason I did that was that The Madness at Gardmore Abbey is generally considered one of the best scenarios, so I didn't want to miss it.  If I had done the full Thunderspire, they would have been level 8 or so.

Good luck

Thanks for the ideas, we don't meet very often so these ideas should keep us busy for a long time. I look forward to checking into Thunderspire Mountain.

dungeon masters kit, has a great adventurer "reavers of harkenwold" and also teaches more after the redbox then I bought "MV threats of the nentir vale"

Thanks for the idea, I'll look into those. 

BADFISH2 wrote:

I look forward to checking into Thunderspire Mountain.

Its an interesting setting, but to get the most out of it you will have to put in a fair amount of additional work.  Which is another reason why I ran a very cut down version of the scenario.

Sign In to post comments