new dm question concerning maptiles for premade adventures

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, im a first time dungeon master and started with the redbox and its premade adventure with a couple of friends and im fairly certain they will want to keep on playing after the standard adventure.

so i have been looking around to find a new premade adventure to play until im comfortable with making my own campaign.
The first option i found was the premade adventure included in the dnd dungeon master essential kit.
sadly i only found one store with it and the delivery time was 2-3 weeks.

now to get to my question i found the chaos scar campaign on the site and it looked fun but i cant seem to find any printable map tiles only pictures on a scale in the pdf's. so how are you supposed to use those maps?
are there any tools to make the tiles your self or are the tiles not needed at all?

I wish that the dungeon adventures told you which tile sets they used to make the maps, but even if they did a lot of them are out of print.

For example, I picked "The Crawling Fane" from #178 just to have a look at one of them, it looks like its using tiles from "Ruins of the Wild" and "Fane of the Forgotten Gods" and I believe both are out of print. Elements of them might be included in the "The Wilderness" Master Set and "The Dungeon" Master Set.

Alternatively, if you wanted to be prepared for anything you could get a dry-erase map to use.
A reasonable number of the maps from the Chaos Scar campaign PDFs will print out quite nicely.

For example I ran The Crawling Fane as a rare face-to-face game (I usually game online using Maptool) so I printed out the maps from the PDF.  If you click the map images in the PDF and copy and paste them into Paint, they will copy over without the token locations appearing.  You can then print them straight out onto A4 and the maps will be about the right size.  A bit of sellotape and job done
posterazor.sourceforge.net/

Print any picture to any scale on any size paper with any amount of overlap you want.  In other words, turn a picture into a poster.  I've used it to print quite a few maps with 1" grid scale and several without, adding the grid manually.

Sure, if you have maps that have monster locations or words or key numbers on them you might want to consider doing some editing of them, but that's not as hard as you'd think either.

Then you can invest in a piece of lexan or plexiglass to set over the map and draw on it all you want with dry erase markers.  That's my SOP for paper maps, and even with dry/wet erase maps too if they won't lay down flat.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Thanks for all the tips.
I can now print the maps and have fun in the pre made adventures.
Almost all of the recent modules' maps can be made with the 3 major essentials tile sets:

Master Set: the Dungeon
Master Set: the Wilderness
Master Set: the City

Should still be easy to find these online.

FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
Alternatively, if you wanted to be prepared for anything you could get a dry-erase map to use.

You'll want one of these eventually, might as well get it sooner rather than later. Then you can draw anything you can find online.