Need help designing a paragon tier artifact

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to create a paragon tier artifact.  Here's some of the artifact's history:

The artifact is actually a piece of a primordial.  More specifically, the primordial of void (my own creation).  The primordial was defeated back during the primodial/god wars by 5 gods:  Raven Queen, Bahamut, Pelor, Tiamat, & Bane.  When the primordial was defeated it exploded into may pieces (a la rod of 7 parts).  Each part represents a body part, e.g. heart, brain, skin, etc.  The heart landed on the earth and completely destroyed an area for eternity.  A residual trace also set up that anything in the area would be completely destroyed.  Bane withstood the destructiveness of the heart to retrieve it and gave it to Vecna, the only diety that's capable of completely withstanding the destructive energies.  Only the heart's location (or at least who has it) is known (History/Religion hard DC).  All other body part locations are unknown.

My group just came across the a piece of the primordial's skin. 

However, I'm not creating the heart.  That's just history.  I'm trying to create the skin as an artifact.  Here's what I have so far:

Skin of the Void Primordial (I don't have an actual name as of yet)
Item Slot:  Neck
Enhancement:  +3 to Fortitude, Reflex, & Will

Properties:
*  Gain darkvision
*  Gain resist 5 necrotic
*  Speak & understand primordial

Powers (so far):
Cloud of Darkness (as per drow).

Concordance starting score:  5
Owner gains a level:  1d10
(Need help for rest of table) 

Angered (0 or lower):  No enhancement bonus instead of +3 otherwise nothing yet
Unsatisfied (1-4):  +1 enhancement bonus instead of +3 otherwise nothing yet
Normal (5-11):  Nothing yet
Satisfied (12-15):  +4 enhancement bonus instead of +3 otherwise nothing yet
Pleased (16-20):  +5 enhancement bonus instead of +3 otherwise nothing yet

Other items:
It wants to get back together with its other parts.
Moving on would entail finding the location of another part.

I need help in rounding out the powers & concordance.  If you have questions, go ahead and ask. 

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

The +3 should remain a constant.

The only thing that should change with concordance is the powers/abilities it grants.

Other than that, when i make artifacts i usually look at 2-3 items and cherry pick powers from similar gear.

For example
at Normal it may gain an expanded crit range (a la Jagged; crit range is 19-20).
at satisfied it may grant the wielder 20 temps when it crits.
And at pleased it also gains lets you make an addition mba when you crit (a la Rending).

Something like that, i like the powers that get 'bolted on' to build on each other in a sensible fashion. 

So what would a hunk of skin worn as a necklace eventually do? Think about that and then build around those concepts...
Maybe it grants some kind of resistance? (maybe it causes vulnerability when it is unhappy).  
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
Skin as a neck slot is interesting... are you stuck to that idea? It might make it abit more simple if it were a very tough hide shield.
But it looks like you want it to be something that protects overall. That way it's not some rougue going around whose suddenly very hard to hit no matter what, rather it's a specific defensive item. Maybe it's an entire hide/leather armor vest? Possibily giving you the power to communicate, even command a few undead. What does it actually look like when it's worn?
I'm making it a neck slot item similar to that of a cloak.  I'll go with the idea of keeping the +3 constant.  I already have resist 5 necrotic.  I'm thinking of increasing that to resist 10 necrotic when pleased (16-20).

I'm just not sure on what extra powers/properties the artifact should have at each of its concordance levels. 

You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

darkvision, resist 5 necrotic, and speak primordial is a decent start, but honestly it's not super exciting for paragon tier..

Compare to other paragon tier artifacts, the eye of vecan, and the silver mask, both of them grant darkvision, some other small bonuses, and some class specific powers.
And all of that is at standard conconcordance...
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
What are some of the powers and main properties of this Primordial of the void?
The Primordial of the Void is destruction incarnate.  Think of it as an intelligent, humanoid black hole of gargantuan size.  Anything it touches is instantly destroyed.  It bypasses all resistances and immunities.  It has high resistances to all damage except for radiant of which it is vulnerable.  Even then, it still took 5 deities to defeat it.  It is immune to necrotic damage.  It has a damaging aura out to 20 squares.  The final explosion was part of its "death trigger" (when reduced to 0 hp).  It's alignment is mostly unaligned since all it desires is destruction.  Only the other primoridals were able to control its urges (to a point) before it was defeated.  It has a "feedback trigger" for dominating effects (burst LOS, targeting creature in the burst).  It is immune to immobilization and restrained conditions that has a physical effect.  It does autodamage to creatures grabbing it (on top of the aura damage).  It's MBA is considered a blast 5.  It has no ranged attacks.

I guess, as far as concordance is concered, when the skin is worn by a devine class, the concordance modifier is -2.

The skin is only one piece of the entire skin.  The skin as an organ was blasted into 100 pieces of various sizes.  The one my group came across was the size of a cape.

Is that enough info?  Or do you require more?   

i would try and think of what the item WANTS to do. most items like this i would say are intelligent in some way, and as such have a motive/end goal in mind. i would base the powers and the concordance's off of those wants. if the player doesnt play nice with the items wants, it loses the concordance, if it furthers the items goals, it gains concordance. this being an item that was created out of a primordial that wants to destroy things could make for some interesting character conflict, but i would run that by your players and get there ok before implementing that. if they arent ok with it, maybe go with a motivation of finding the other pieces of the skin. i know thats not offering any specifics, but let the concept stew for a day or so, maybe you'll come up with some ideas. heres an item i made that might give you an idea of what im talkin about.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Don't boost the enhancement with anything other than level.

Pick up powers on the attacking items like those from Voidcrystal Weapon, but better (maybe, removed from play and take X damage per round, ro make it an encounter power).  For a defensive item like a cloak, give it an encounter ImmInt: you are targetted by an attack, Effect: you are removed from play until the start of your next turn.  When your next turn starts, choose a square within 3 of where you left, you reappear in that square.  Or something similar.  Maybe make it a daily to start off with, and improve it to encounter with concordance.  Using the removed from play condition for items related to the void seems cool to me.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Pay attention not to introduce contradicting lore. I'm not sure if the Raven Queen was around in the war between primordials and gods in the standard lore and there also is a primordial of the void already described somewhere (Heroes of the Elemental Chaos has a list, I think). So make sure your players don't get confused.

The enhancement bonus should not be related to the concordance. Also, for which level range do you intend do have this item around?
This is a homebrew campaign where I have changed some of the lore.  Also, 4/5s of the group don't know the Raven Queen's history anyway.

I introduced the artifact when they were 11th level.  They just turned 12th level last time we met.

I like the immediate interupt idea of being removed from play until end or start of next turn.  It definitely would need to be a daily.

With that idea in mind, how about a teleport with the fluff of opening a "wormhole" similar to that of a dimension door.

Another idea I just thought of is at the highest level of concordance the ability to use the planar portal ritual without the need of components.  I would use that to get the party to their next destination before the artifact moves on.     

Another idea I just thought of is at the highest level of concordance the ability to use the planar portal ritual without the need of components.  I would use that to get the party to their next destination before the artifact moves on.     

The artifact is there to serve the story, so if you can give it a fun power that also serves your needs than consider it worth doing.
Sign In to post comments