Conversion of old 1st and 2nd edition modules.

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all,

Im curious has anyone tried converting the older modules into 4th Edition. Im working on getting a game up and running and Id love to run The Temple of Elemental Evil again. It was a fun jaunt for me back in the day. Any ideas on how to convert this or just replace the monsters with their 4th edition counterparts as well as the traps and loot?

Thanks in advance...

PS: Sorry if this has already been addressed.
Check out Misterfido's awesome full conversion of Tomb of Horrors: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1188890
I found converting old adventures to be pretty easy. You just have to make sure that the creatures are still at an appropriate level as some monsters in 4E are now either stronger or weaker than in previous editions.
<\ \>tuntman
I've been converting Dwellers of the Forbidden City, and it is not that difficult. For each encounter, pick the primary monster in the old version and find the most level-appropriate version in the new edition. Then flesh out the encounter with enough to make it level-appropriate for the party.

I think Tomb of Horrors would have been much more difficult because it was a lethal trapfest -- not a 4e environment at all!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Not to bring up a continuing sore spot, buuuuuuuut....

I had considered creating a 4e remake of the Desert of Desolation modules (my favorite series). I had this brainstorm about three days before WOTC decided to discontinue any and all PDF sales. Now, I can't.

And I don't think that I am the only person who is going to be stymied in the task of converting old modules by thelack of PDFs. Because now, if you don't happen to have an old copy or can't find one on eBay, you're **** outta luck.
Not to bring up a continuing sore spot, buuuuuuuut....

I had considered creating a 4e remake of the Desert of Desolation modules (my favorite series). I had this brainstorm about three days before WOTC decided to discontinue any and all PDF sales. Now, I can't.

And I don't think that I am the only person who is going to be stymied in the task of converting old modules by thelack of PDFs. Because now, if you don't happen to have an old copy or can't find one on eBay, you're **** outta luck.

You're only ever as **** outta luck as you allow yourself to be.

You are aware that there's more places to buy the old stuff on-line than just EBay or in PDF form, right???
Start with Nobelknight.com. You'll be amazed.
Also check Troll&Toad.com

Both of these sites offer old materiel in a variety of conditions - just like comic books. Mint/NM, excellent, very fine, fine, very good, good & on down. Naturally the higher the "grade" the more you'll pay. But most things can be had for quite reasonable prices. As in less than what WoTC charges for its current modules. Especially if condition isn't your main concern.

You can also search for them on Amazon.

Now that you know, go add a rank to your search score.
Because now, if you don't happen to have an old copy or can't find one on eBay, you're **** outta luck.

Isn't that the normal obstacle anyway?

I'm not going to do a conversion of a module I don't already own.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I am currently right in the middle of converting the 1E Temple of Elemental Evil, the 2E Ruins of Undermountain series, and a few other, smaller ones from 1E and 2E. It's been surprisingly easy. The only real work has been monster upgrades, which only takes a few minutes each, trap upgrades, likewise easy, and treasure distribution. The rest pretty much writes itself.
Once this whole "life" thing slows down a bit, I plan on making a higher level conversion of Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh and then an updated version of Dragon Mountain for my current Forgotten Realms group.

"Is that your final answer?"

-Frequent quote from my side of the DM screen

I'm currently converting Expedition to the Barrier Peaks to "Dungeons and Dragons" 4.0...granted, alot of that stuff doesn't work perfectly, being designed with completely different paradigms and rules sets, but I'm pretty sure I can capture some of the fun, at least.
here is one for you as the classes go now could the basic party of 5 take on G1 the hill giants of the series??? I do not think so as the numbers exist now. What is your take.

Serjanus Servado
I'm considering doing a few of the UK modules, including The Gauntlet & The Sentinel.
Im in the process of Converting Expedition to Castle Ravenloft to 4e, I hope at least the First 1/3 should be ready for playtesting by October
Sign In to post comments