[4E] Expert Dungeon Master Competition #11: Create a "Little Bad Evil Guy"!

242 posts / 0 new
Last post

Expert Dungeon Master Competition #11 Create a "Little Bad Evil Guy"!

[indent]A good DM can create a compelling villain (the "Big Bad Evil Guy") to antagonize adventurers for a dramatic climactic final confrontation. But it takes an Expert DM to create a lesser villain who is equally memorable. Lackeys, sidekicks, rivals, minor antagonists. All require care to craft. This entry asks you to create a memorable minor villain (the "Little Bad Evil Guy") for the adventurers to confront.[/indent] Welcome to the eleventh Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold: [*]To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum. [*]To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly. [*]To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.[/list] In order to enter the competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements: [*]Name. Name the villain. [*]Stat Block. Provide a statblock for the villain that contains all the information found in the Monster Statblock Template in the 4e SRD appropriate for that villain. (When creating stats, be cognizant of the rules in the Dungeon Master's Guide for creating NPCs and Creatures.) The villain should not receive the full stats of a Player Character. [*]Personality. Provide a background and personality for the villain. [*]Confrontation. Suggest one or more ways the villain may confront the adventurers before any final climactic battle for the story arc in which the villain is involved. Be sure to describe the tactics the villain will want to use in each confrontation.[/list] In addition, the entry must include at least three of the following optional elements: [*]Skill Challenge. At least one confrontation is a non-combat skill challenge that uses no Charisma-based skills as primary skills. [*]Quest. Fulfilling a minor quest (described in the entry) could cause the villain to become neutral to, or allied with, the adventurers. [*]Useful. The adventurers discover the villain has information or a unique item useful against the main antagonist. [*]Mutlitiered. The entry presents statblocks for the villain at multiple tiers of play. [*]May Confrontations. The entry summarizes three or more hypothetical confrontations that include the villain. [*]Alien. The villain is neither humanoid nor unintelligent. [*]Diminutive. The villain is Small or Tiny in size. [*]Relation. The villain is the spouse, offspring, or parent of the main antagonist. [*]Torn. The villain serves multiple masters with contradictory motivations. [*]Fake Out. When first encountered, the villain appears to be the main antagonist, but isn’t. [/list]

Following are some general rules of the Expert DM Competition. [post=16059666]>>>You can read the complete contest rules here<<<[/post]

[*]Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct. [*]Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely. [*]Edits After 15 Minutes Prohibited. Applicants may not edit their entries more than 15 minutes after submission. This includes editing done by forum moderators, unless the moderator specifically states that the entry had not been edited prior to the moderator's action. If the entrant submits an entry before the contest closes and then edits the entry after the contest closes, but within fifteen minutes of submission, the edits will be considered valid. Entrants should use the forum’s “preview post” function or an off-line text editor to check the entry before posting. Once winners have been announced, entrants may edit their entries. [*]Multiple Entries Prohibited. Each applicant may only submit one entry during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but they will not be judged. [*]Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Each entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts. [*]Outside Links Prohibited. Entries may not include material hosted on a website other than the post on which the entry appears. Images hosted on, or links to, other websites will be ignored by the judges when scoring. [*]Plagiarism and Previewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries found to be copying the work of another, or that have been posted for review prior to the close of the competition, will be disqualified.[/list] The contest will run from today through Friday, July 10, 2009. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight on that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are Eldritch_Lord, Furion Thamior, Lord_Ventnor, and mccowen, and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan. Good luck and have fun!!

Questions & Answers
(questions posed by potential entrants and the coordinator's response)

Q. Must the Little Bad "Evil" Guy (or the main antagonist for that matter) have an evil alignment?

A. No. There is no alignment requirement for this contest. Nor must the Little or Big Bad Evil Guys be "guys." Or Little or Big (barring an attempt to meet optional element 7, of course).

Q. How much information about the main antagonist must be provided?

A. As much or as little as you feel necessary. Obviously, to meet optional elements involving the main antagonist (3, 8, and 9), some information about the main antagonist is needed. The entry, however, should concentrate on the minor villain, not the ultimate one. It is even possible to present a villain who is a lackey for hire, and for that you might not need any information about the main antagonist at all.

Q. For purposes of optional element 6, would an intelligent humanoid qualify?

A. No. The villain must be intelligent and it must be non-humanoid to qualify for this element.

Q. For purposes of optional element 8, must the villain and main antagonist be married to qualify as a "spouse"?

A. Yes, although either civil or religious marriages (or both) are acceptable.

Entry List

• [highlight]Gold Medalist![/highlight] [post=18977326]Koradzi's Doctor Zander Von Vandervaughn[/post] (8th/18th/27th Level Elite Controller (Leader))
  • [highlight]Silver Medalist![/highlight] [post=18999187]Elil's Rat Goddess[/post] (3rd Level Elite Skirmisher)
  • [highlight]Bronze Medalist![/highlight] [post=18969286]Nyarlathotep's Gliffug[/post] (7th Level Elite Lurker)
  • [post=18861163]The Stray's Eron Kale, The Restless One[/post] (8th Level Elite Skirmisher)
  • [post=18863703]DaigotsuRezan's Hubert, the Awakened Owlbear[/post] (15th Level Solo Skirmisher)
  • [post=18925487]ClanBattlerage's Sedari Evernys[/post] (11th Level Artillery)
  • [post=18927710]Stoneskin's Demetri, the Rider Upon the Pale Horse[/post] (10/12/15/18/28th Level Elite Skirmisher (Leader))
  • [post=18936941]Esperifiel's Jakael "Black Hand" Mison[/post] (8th Level Elite Controller (Leader))
  • [post=18959918]Veok's Nialen Sar[/post] (4th Level Elite Artillery)
  • [post=18978961]Caladors' Ace[/post] (8th Level Elite Controller)
  • [post=18988834]pluisjen's Corren Valegrim[/post] (9th Level Elite Controller)
  • [post=18998403]Someone's Maiden Taker[/post] (12th Level Skirmisher)
  • [post=18998517]TwinBahamut's Erdrevan[/post] (15th Level Elite Soldier (Leader))
  • [post=18998968]dulsi's Sludmet[/post] (6th Level Elite Brute/Controller (Leader))
  • [post=18999380]shinobicow's Nobody[/post] (8th Level Bard)

Supplemental Entries:
  • [post=18999624]Barmp's Eluhundra[/post] (22nd Level Solo Skirmisher)
  • [post=19084993]Felldraw's Listener[/post] (3rd Level Elite Listener)

Medalists

[Deck=The Silver Medal Goes To...]

Elil with "Rat Goddess"!!

[/deck]

[Deck=The Gold Medal Goes To...]

Koradzi with "Doctor Zander Von Vandervaughn"!!!

[/deck]

Congratulations to all of you!

The gold medalist, Koradzi, is eligible for the custom title of "Heroic Dungeon Master" (if so desired) and is also now eligible to judge future competitions! If Koradzi wins subsequent competitions, the custom title can be changed to "Paragon Dungeon Master" and then "Epic Dungeon Master"!

Thanks also to the judges, Eldritch_Lord, Furion Thamior, Lord_Ventnor, and mccowen, who did a great job judging the competitions. The NPC competition is just as hard and grueling as a creature competition, and some of these judges did both!! I am so very grateful to them for volunteering.

Congratulations again to everyone for such wonderful entries and thanks for making the XDMCs a continuing success!

Anybody who wishes to edit their entries are welcome to do so. Everyone is welcome to post their comments.

Stay tuned for XDMC #12 to begin (hopefully) in a few weeks. In the meantime, enjoy the carefully tabulated scores below.

[b]CONSOLIDATED SCORES BY ENTRY[/b]<br /> [b]Entry Creat'y Usab'y Theme Clar'y Bonus Total Author's Entry[/b]<br /> 1 11 10 1/2 7 7 3/4 36 1/4 The Stray's Eron Kale<br /> 2 13 1/2 12 7 1/2 9 42 DaigotsuRezan's Hubert<br /> 3 11 5/8 11 1/2 8 3/4 9 40 7/8 ClanBattlerage's Sedari Evernys<br /> 4 10 7/8 9 1/2 7 1/4 6 1/4 33 7/8 Stoneskin's Demetri<br /> 5 12 7/8 12 1/4 8 3/8 8 1/4 41 3/4 Esperifiel's Jakael Mison<br /> 6 13 12 1/2 8 1/4 9 1/4 43 Veok's Nialen Sar<br /> 7 13 5/8 12 8 3/4 9 1/4 43 5/8 Nyarlathotep's Gliffug<br /> 8 13 1/2 13 1/4 8 3/4 9 1 45 1/2 Koradzi's Doctor Zander Von Vandervaughn<br /> 9 9 9 1/4 6 1/4 4 3/4 29 1/4 Caladors' Ace<br /> 10 12 7/8 11 1/2 7 1/4 8 1/2 40 1/8 pluisjen's Corren Valegrim<br /> 11 11 1/8 10 3/4 6 7 3/4 35 5/8 Someone's Maiden Taker<br /> 12 11 7/8 12 3/8 8 1/2 9 41 3/4 TwinBahamut's Erdrevan<br /> 13 12 11 1/8 7 7 3/4 37 7/8 dulsi's Sludmet<br /> 14 13 1/2 12 1/2 8 1/2 9 1/4 1 44 3/4 Elil's Rat Goddess<br /> 15 13 10 3/4 7 1/4 8 1/4 39 1/4 shinobicow's Nobody<br /> <br /> [b]CONSOLIDATED SCORES BY SCORE[/b]<br /> [b]Entry Creat'y Usab'y Theme Clar'y Bonus Total Author's Entry[/b]<br /> 8 13 1/2 13 1/4 8 3/4 9 1 45 1/2 Koradzi's Doctor Zander Von Vandervaughn<br /> 14 13 1/2 12 1/2 8 1/2 9 1/4 1 44 3/4 Elil's Rat Goddess<br /> 7 13 5/8 12 8 3/4 9 1/4 43 5/8 Nyarlathotep's Gliffug<br /> 6 13 12 1/2 8 1/4 9 1/4 43 Veok's Nialen Sar<br /> 2 13 1/2 12 7 1/2 9 42 DaigotsuRezan's Hubert<br /> 5 12 7/8 12 1/4 8 3/8 8 1/4 41 3/4 Esperifiel's Jakael Mison<br /> 12 11 7/8 12 3/8 8 1/2 9 41 3/4 TwinBahamut's Erdrevan<br /> 3 11 5/8 11 1/2 8 3/4 9 40 7/8 ClanBattlerage's Sedari Evernys<br /> 10 12 7/8 11 1/2 7 1/4 8 1/2 40 1/8 pluisjen's Corren Valegrim<br /> 15 13 10 3/4 7 1/4 8 1/4 39 1/4 shinobicow's Nobody<br /> 13 12 11 1/8 7 7 3/4 37 7/8 dulsi's Sludmet<br /> 1 11 10 1/2 7 7 3/4 36 1/4 The Stray's Eron Kale<br /> 11 11 1/8 10 3/4 6 7 3/4 35 5/8 Someone's Maiden Taker<br /> 4 10 7/8 9 1/2 7 1/4 6 1/4 33 7/8 Stoneskin's Demetri<br /> 9 9 9 1/4 6 1/4 4 3/4 29 1/4 Caladors' Ace

The wording for #6 is confusing my brain. (I blame the "nor")

Is it: The villain is not humanoid AND the villain is intelligent?
If you look past the plot and the voice acting, Metroid: Other M was an okay game. Not a great game, but an adequate one. Not using the Metroid item collect jingle though? That, was a mistake.
Yes. You are reading it correctly.
Okay, I like the look of this one. I think I already have an idea brewing in my head. Now I just need to figure out which optional elements to try for...
Wow! the optional elements for this one seem to be totally different than in previous competitions. It looks like theme is going to be way more open for this round. Cool. More ideas to work with. Time to get started.
I live and work in Japan, near Mt. Fuji, teaching English to High Schoolers. In my spare time I also happen to be a husband, a father, and an Otaku. I run a biweekly DnD game on Sundays and blog about it every other day of the week at http://thedumpstat.blogspot.com

15.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

Do we have to provide some suggestions for the Big Bad as well; the types of people this minor bad might serve?

Or does he not need to be a servant; just someone who for some reason hates the adventurers but isn't big enough to warrant his own story, so he has to go somewhere in between?
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
In the optional element regarding contradictory motivations, does this mean that the two individuals he serves have goals which go opposite each other? I.e. one person wants something destroyed and the other wants it preserved, or does it mean that they might both want the same thing and thus their motivations run opposite to eachother, i.e. both of his master's wants to be the pirate king, but only one person can claim one piece and take over for Gold Roger? (sorry if that example was rather specific, i'm in a wierd mood...)
I live and work in Japan, near Mt. Fuji, teaching English to High Schoolers. In my spare time I also happen to be a husband, a father, and an Otaku. I run a biweekly DnD game on Sundays and blog about it every other day of the week at http://thedumpstat.blogspot.com

15.jpg

It means the LBEG cannot possibly satisfy both masters and is thus in a quandary. How you present that is up to you.
Thanks.

15.jpg

When you say spouse must they be married?
Can the simply be that persons primary love interest?
And I am little confused when you say main antagonist.
Because as a party shouldn't they be you know a party not one star and his groupes?
Because as a party shouldn't they be you know a party not one star and his groupes?

The main antagonist, generally speaking, is the Big Bad Evil Guy.

I think you have confused antagonist with protagonist, which is what the Player Characters are.
Is optional element #5:
5. The entry summarizes three or more hypothetical confrontations that include the villain.

intended as a simple expansion of required element #4?
4. Suggest one or more ways the villain may confront the adventurers before any final climactic battle for the story arc in which the villain is involved. Be sure to describe the tactics the villain will want to use in each confrontation.

Bring Gleemax Back. Even as a failure, it was better than this. http://community.wizards.com/durdur
It appears that way, yes.
If you look past the plot and the voice acting, Metroid: Other M was an okay game. Not a great game, but an adequate one. Not using the Metroid item collect jingle though? That, was a mistake.
When you say spouse must they be married?

A "spouse" involves and element of marriage, which could be civil and/or religious.

The "main antagonist" is the villain that makes the subject of your entry a secondary rather than primary villain.
Is optional element #5 intended as a simple expansion of required element #4?

Yes. Required element 4 requires one or more encounters. Optional element #5 is met if you give at least 3.
I also have a question: Can the villain be an existing monster that we give more flavor to? For example, can we stat the villain as a Kobold Wyrmpriest as long as we go on to name him Nupnup, and explain who he's serving, and why he has such a god complex?
Do we have to provide some suggestions for the Big Bad as well; the types of people this minor bad might serve?

Or does he not need to be a servant; just someone who for some reason hates the adventurers but isn't big enough to warrant his own story, so he has to go somewhere in between?

Provide as much or as little as you feel necessary. Obviously, to meet optional elements involving the main antagonist (3, 8, and 9), some information about the main antagonist is needed. The entry, however, should concentrate on the minor villain, not the ultimate one. It is even possible to present a villain who is a lackey for hire, and for that you might not need any information about the main antagonist at all.
Can the villain be an existing monster that we give more flavor to? For example, can we stat the villain as a Kobold Wyrmpriest as long as we go on to name him Nupnup, and explain who he's serving, and why he has such a god complex?

Sure. As long as you meet all the required elements and at least three optional ones. Be mindful of your Creativity score, however.
Sure. As long as you meet all the required elements and at least three optional ones. Be mindful of your Creativity score, however.

Yeah, that's why I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to do what I'm planning. I'll have to rework some of the powers and present a really compelling story, I think.
Eron Kale, The Restless One
Human Revenant Ranger, Level 8 Elite Skirmisher
Medium natural humanoid (undead), XP 800
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +12
HP 152; Bloodied 76; see Keeper's Fang
AC 24; Fortitude 24, Reflex 23, Will 21
Saving Throws + 2
Speed 6
Action Points 1
[m] Keeper's Fang (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon, Necrotic
+15 vs. AC; 1d8+9 necrotic damage (Crit 3d8+17 necrotic damage). If Eron drops a creature to 0 hp with this attack, he gains 5 temporary hit points. Weapon power: (free action, when Keeper's Fang bloodies an enemy; daily) Eron regains 10 hit points.
[m] Khopesh (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
+14 vs. AC; 1d8+8 damage. If Eron rolls a 1 on the damage dice on this attack, he may reroll it.
[M] Twin Strike (action; recharge) ✦ Martial, Weapon
Eron makes a Keeper's Fang attack and a Khopesh attack, with a -5 penalty on the damage rolls.
[M] Hit And Run (standard; at-will) ✦ Martial, Weapon, Necrotic
Eron makes a Keeper's Fang attack. Effect: If Eron moves before the end of his turn, he does not provoke attacks of opportunity from the target.
[M] Claws of the Griffon (standard; encounter) ✦ Martial, Weapon, Necrotic
Eron makes a Keeper's Fang attack and a Khopesh attack. The Keeper's Fang attack deals an extra 1d8 damage if it hits.
[M] Frenzied Skirmish (standard; daily) ✦ Martial, Weapon, Necrotic
Eron makes a Keeper's Fang attack and a Khopesh Attack. If either attack hits, the target is dazed until the end of Eron's next turn. If both attacks hit the same target, it is dazed and slowed until the end of Eron's next turn. Special: Eron may move his speed before or after these attacks without provoking opportunity attacks.
Weave Through the Fray (immediate interrupt, when an enemy moves adjacent; recharge when bloodied) ✦ Martial
Eron shifts 3 squares.
Hunter's Quarry (minor; at-will)
Eron designates the nearest creature that he can see his quarry. Once per round, he may deal an additional 1d8 damage to a quarry he hits with an attack. The creature remains a quarry until it is reduced to 0 hit points, Eron selects a different quarry, or the encounter ends.
Immortal Curse (when killed)
If Eron Kale is killed, he returns to full health after 1d10 days, unless his curse is broken (details up to DM on how this may be accomplished).
Alignment Chaotic Evil Languages Common, Deep Speech
Skills Dungeoneering +12, Nature +12, Endurance +10, Athletics +14, Acrobatics +11
Str 20 (+9) Dex 14 (+6) Wis 16 (+7)
Con 12 (+5) Int 11 (+4) Cha 8 (+3)
Equipment The Keeper's Fang (+2 Lifedrinker Scimitar with attached Khyber Shard of Life Drinking), Khopesh, Hide Armor

Step 1: Background

1)Eron Kale was a Karnathi patriot once, serving the glory of the throne in the early days of The Last War. He eagerly joined the Order of the Emerald Claw, and fought with honor.
2)Then he and his fellows were tasked with securing some dragonshards from a mysterious rift in the Demon Wastes known as The Lair of The Keeper for the war effort. His battalion braved the depths of Khyber, meeting horror after horror in the darkness. Eventually, though, the much diminished group made it to the Lair.
3)But it was there that Eron discovered the horrible truth of whom the Order truly served: The Lich Queen Vol, not the Karnathi people. Enraged, Eron attacked his surviving companions, slaughtering them all, before succumbing to his wounds. Or so he thought. Until he woke up, with a pounding headache and a pulsating Khyber stone where his living heart used to be. Terrified, he fled.
4)With his faith shattered, Eron wandered. He was captured by the soldiers of Aundair and executed as a spy, but to his horror he found himself waking up in the shallow grave they'd buried him in. He pulled himself out of the ground, and wandered away.
5)He's been wandering since, immortal. He has died more times and in more ways than he can count any more, but he has always gotten back up again, whole. Throughout the horrors of the Last War Eron has roamed, selling his services as a vicious swordsman to mercenary bands, adventurers, brigands, and, most recently, a band of pirates who managed to steal an airship. He serves as the captain's primary enforcer.

Step 2: Goals

Short term: Keep moving. Keep out of jail. Swat anything that irritates him.

Long Term: Die. Finally and forever.

Step 3: Contacts and possessions.

Eron is the first mate of a crew of pirates who have access to a flying vessel. Though he has come tactical skill, he's not the brains of this operation. He's the one sent to tidy up loose ends, run errands involving violence, and make sure the crew keeps in line.

The only thing he cares about is his magical sword, a lifedrinker scimitar embedded with a Khyber shard. If it's taken from him, he WILL seek it out once he's healed up from whatever encounter parted him from it.

Step 4: Roleplaying hints

Eron Kale is a bitter old soldier who longs to finally die and not crawl back up again. He has tried to break his curse more ways and more times than he can count, though, and given up the hope that he will ever actually escape his immortality. This makes him ill-tempered and quick to anger, and he usually tires to solve his problems with violence, hoping that one day someone will kill him and make it stick. He dreads prolonged captivity, which he regards as a fate worse than death, and grows frantic at the very thought of being locked away. He seeks bloody revenge on anyone who tries to imprison him.

Step 5: Uses

Eron is an excellent recurring villain, because he can't die. Here are some situations he may be found in:

Deadly Raiders: The pirates that Eron's working with now are bloody bandits who are using their captured airship to bring terror to isolated communities out of the blue. Eron usually leads the attacks of the pirates and ruffians, using his former military training to good effect. This would be a straightforward combat encounter.

Cat and Mouse: The party has gotten wind of some kind of Shadow-powered artifact that is either worth a great fortune or must be found to keep it out of the wrong hands. The trouble is that Eron has caught wind of this thing, too, and thinks it might help him break his curse. The party knows some things about this artifact that Eron and his crew don't...but they know something the party is unaware of, as well. Let the race begin!

Ending him once and for all: Eron wants to break his curse and die. Remove affliction isn't enough—some great task has been levied on him, but Eron doesn't know what he's actually supposed to do. He thinks it involves The Keeper somehow, given the Dragonshard lodged in his chest, but otherwise has no idea what to make of his condition. If the players could find a way to actually break his curse, he would willingly join up with them and actively help them along. This would be a good skill challenge quest to figure out what, exactly, keeps his life force tied to the living world.

Non Eberron notes: Eron can be easily adapted to other settings. Keep this core in mind: Eron was a soldier who fought during the time of the last great empire and got cursed with some necromantic phlebotinum that allows him to come back from the dead over and over again and is now working with bandits with some form of travel that gives them great mobility. With that in mind, the specifics are easy to change.

contest elements
Three or more confrontations that include the villain; Minor Quest that can get the villain to be neutral or allied to the party; When first encountered the villain appears to be the main villain, but isn't; At least one confrontation is a skill challenge that doesn't involve Diplomacy based skills as primary skills

When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray 

First blood! Welcome aboard, The Stray!
Oh, I have JUST the worst idea for this... you'll see that soon. :D

And I had a procedural question wrecan. For optional element 8, the potential entry I'm working on is... well, the LBEG and the BBEG have a very interesting relationship which resembles that of a parent and their child, even though they're not the same species. Can I claim this element for my entry? If necessary I'll PM you the information, or just take a risk with it and work in another optional element.

And I had a procedural question wrecan. For optional element 8, the potential entry I'm working on is... well, the LBEG and the BBEG have a very interesting relationship which resembles that of a parent and their child, even though they're not the same species. Can I claim this element for my entry? If necessary I'll PM you the information, or just take a risk with it and work in another optional element.

Good question, which brings up another. For element 8 does 'parent or offspring' require genealogical links or is it broad enough to cover foster or step children fit into it as well? Can it extend down the line (grand parent or further) as well?

I think you'll have to risk it. If there is no blood relationship, then the relationship has to be akin to an adoption. I don't want to know the details until you post your entry.

To Barmp: Yes -- stepchildren and adoption apply. If it didn't, my sister and nieces (who are all adopted) would rat me out to mom! The key, though is that there has to be a parent-child relationship. If the LBEG was an adult, moved away from home , and then the LBEG's father married the BBEG, then I think you'd be hard-pressed to meet the element.
Hubert, The Awakened Owlbear

The Story Behind Hubert

Hubert woke up one day with a splitting headache to find that he was no longer a mere dumb animal: he had been given intelligence by a young human druid, Jylarra. The girl told him that his family had been killed by goblins, but having arrived too late to the scene, she was only able to save him. Hubert couldn't help but believe her, and decided that he owed her his life. But he didn't know at the time--and still hasn't figured out--that Jylarra is quite insane, and won't be satisfied until the entire region has been brought under her thumb. Jylarra spent much of the next few years giving Hubert an education to go with his newfound sentience, teaching him woodcraft and hunting skills to augment his natural predatory instincts. He has no memory of his life before his awakening and little real concept of the world beyond what Jylarra has taught him, but he views the little girl as his "little sister" and will do anything to please her. He can often be found leading sorties against encroaching civilized lands or poachers, and has taught himself a unique fighting style designed to take advantage of his powerful frame and wicked claws.

Personality

Hubert's personality remains largely unchanged by his newfound intelligence. He's as irritable and ferocious as any other owlbear, and will often taunt, gloat, or threaten anyone within in earshot during his raids. If anyone blames him for being behind the attacks, he accepts responsibility proudly (although he'd never do so if Jylarra is present). Killing or capturing him, however, will not stop the attacks, and it quickly becomes clear through any extended conversation that Hubert barely has the mental capacity to lead himself, much less a guerilla army.

Tactics:

Hubert may be smarter than your average owlbear, but he's not a tactical genius. He prefers to wade right into the thick of things, targeting any foe he percieves as the most powerful. He spends an action point early in the fight to use twin strike the first time he fails to grab a foe. Hubert typically will only engage in a few rounds of combat before retreating back into the woods, preferring to use the hit-and-run tactics that Jylarra favors. However, if ordered to accomplish an important goal, or if he believes Jylarra to be in danger, Hubert fights to the death, seeking to kill as many enemies as he can in the process.

Possible Ways To Encounter Hubert:

Humanoid civilization has again begun to spring up at the edges of Jylarra's forest, and the usual tricks haven't persuaded them to abandon their new settlement. Hubert and a few other creatures attack the town with the intent of burning it to the ground.

Level 17 Encounter (8,400 XP)

Hubert, Awakened Owlbear Level 15 Solo Skirmisher (6,000XP)
Dire Bear x2 Level 11 Elite Brutes (1,200XP each)

Level 16 Encounter (7,000 XP)

Maybe the party has come across the remains of a settlement or group recently attacked by Hubert, or perhaps they interrupt the attack. Hubert abandons whatever of his allies remain and takes off running through the forest, leaving the PC's to give chase before he escapes into the wild.

Complexity: 5 (requires 12 successes before 3 failures).

Primary Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Perception, Nature.

Acrobatics (20): You dodge past an obstacle, vault over a fallen tree, or squeeze through two trees to close or lengthen the distance between you and your opponent. A failed check indicates that you take a spill and lose one healing surge, in addition to counting as a failure for the challenge.

Athletics (20): You run fast, leap over a ditch, or swim through a river to gain an advantage in the chase. A failed check indicates that you get banged up and lose one healing surge, in addition to counting as a failure for the challenge.

Perception (13): You spot a shortcut, notice a clear trail, or otherwise aid your cause. Using this skill doesn’t count as a success or failure for the challenge, but instead provides a +2 bonus or a –2 penalty to the next character’s skill check.

Nature (25): You know enough about the layout of the forest to figure out where Hubert's probably going, and to avoid the most obvious dead ends and pitfalls.

Success: The party catches up to Hubert as he escapes through the woods, forcing him to stand and fight. He does so without hesitation and does not flee if cornered in this manner. Combat begins immediately.

Failure: Hubert's speed and familiarity with the area get the better of the PCs, who lose track of him during the chase. Hubert's tracks vanish into a nearby stream, forcing the PCs to abandon the search for now.

Technical Notes
I based this mechanically on the Owlbear, level-adjusted to 15 and changed to a Skirmisher. I then applied the Ranger elite template and tweaked the numbers a bit to fit more closely to the DMG guidelines. Jylarra's left deliberately vague, but is definately the insane spoiled brat you might picture as being the sort who'd awaken an owlbear and train them to obey. The defenses have been tweaked slightly to keep them from getting extremely high, so they're a bit lower than usual. Unlike normal owlbears, Hubert's got a lower Will defense than Reflex.

Optional Elements:
At least one confrontation is a non-combat skill challenge that uses no Charisma-based skills as primary skills.
The villain is the spouse, offspring, or parent of the main antagonist.
The villain is neither humanoid nor unintelligent.
When first encountered, the villain appears to be the main antagonist, but isn’t.
The list is updated!
Hubert, The Awakened Owlbear

That has to be one of the most unique NPCs I believe I've ever seen. I half expected you to put a blurb in there about how if you wrap a towel around your head, Hubert goes blind...:D
Sorceror: "I'll attack the [solo monster] with Chaos Bolt." Warden: "Don't you ever use encounter powers?!?!?" Sorceror: (casually) "I don't need to." ----------- "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
That has to be one of the most unique NPCs I believe I've ever seen. I half expected you to put a blurb in there about how if you wrap a towel around your head, Hubert goes blind...:D

Is that a Hitchiker's Guide reference I'm not fully remembering?
Is that a Hitchiker's Guide reference I'm not fully remembering?

Yep. Quoting Mr. Adams regarding the uses of a towel:

"...wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you)..."
Sorceror: "I'll attack the [solo monster] with Chaos Bolt." Warden: "Don't you ever use encounter powers?!?!?" Sorceror: (casually) "I don't need to." ----------- "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
Lol, it kind of makes you wonder why that guy never made it into a monster manual of fiend folio in some strange incarnation.

15.jpg

It's in there as a template though:

Ravenous Beast of Traal

Add the following power -- "Mind-bogglingly stupid. The Ravenous Beast of Traal does not have line of sight or line of effect to blinded enemies.
Lol, i think that is one of the first templates that i have seen that could effectively reduce the level of a monster :P

15.jpg

Must the LBEG be Evil? Or is 'opposed to the party' or 'plotting their demise' enough? Could we a Good Little Bad Evil Guy? Or an Unaligned Little Bad Evil Guy?
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
I am not confused my heroes are always trying to make the world right.
Fix things up and these pesky "PC" are keep getting in the way.
There could be PEACE and a new world order but no.
This people keep getting in the way.

pro⋅tag⋅o⋅nist  /proʊˈtægənɪst/ [proh-tag-uh-nist]
–noun
1.the leading character, hero, or heroine of a drama or other literary work.

Now someone who works against the preious peace of the land!
Just for the promise for treasure does that sound like someone who is a hero?
And whats worse is they work in groups to gang up on him!
Heroes indeed.
Show
well yes perhaps I was a little confused
I'm interested in coming up with something for this compentition as i might help me in my first step to being a DM.

I'm confused about these templates you keep talking about, what are they and where can i find them?

With powers that you make up, how can you be sure they are balanced? Is it just a 'feel' kinda thing? I guess the judges will decide if something was over or underpowered right?

Any other tips for first time entrants?
The DMG has a few chapters in the DM Toolbox about creating monsters, applying templates, balancing powers, etc

You should read that.
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
The DMG has a few chapters in the DM Toolbox about creating monsters, applying templates, balancing powers, etc

You should read that.

Ah i thought so, haven't got that far yet you see. :embarrass

Will read up and see if i can come up with something, worth a punt to get some feedback at the very least.
First blood! Welcome aboard, The Stray!

I've wanted to post in other contests, but this was the first time that the contest options meshed with an idea percolating inside my head. And I've wanted to do this guy for ages...he was an idea that sprang from my love of Eberron, and with the new book just coming out it seemed like the right time.

When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray 

Sign In to post comments