[indent]Creating a unique challenging monster for the characters to encounter is one of the more fun aspects of being a Dungeon Master. But crafting a pair of elite creatures requires true expertise. This iteration of the XDMCs asks you to create an encounter comprised of two different elite creatures of your creation.[/indent]
Welcome to the tenth Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold:
- To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum.
- To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly.
- To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.
In order to enter the competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:
- Provide separate statblocks for two creatures that might be encountered together. The statblocks must contain all the information found in the Monster Statblock Template in the 4e SRD appropriate for that creature.
- Each creature must have the Elite group role.
- Briefly describe each creature's typical appearance and behavior.
- Set forth what characters may know of each creature with an appropriate Arcane, Dungeoneering, Nature, or Religion check.
- Set forth at least one scenario in which a typical adventuring party might encounter the creatures, and the strategy the creatures might employ in this scenario.
In addition, the entry must include at least three of the following optional elements:
- Each creature gains a mechanical benefit from standing within two squares of the other.
- One creature has a Good or Lawful good alignment; the other has an Evil or Chaotic Evil Alignment.
- One creature serves as a mount for the other.
- Only one creature has a burrow speed.
- The creatures appear almost identical, but one is at least five levels higher than the other.
- The creatures are both thematically associated with a solo creature of the paragon or epic tier found in the Rules Compendium.
- The creatures do not share the same type, origin, or size.
- The creatures have different abilities that complement one another.
- The creatures would suffer damage or a deleterious condition if they touched one another.
- The creatures’ powers are antilogous in some way (fire and ice, light and darkness, etc.) but the creatures still believably might be encountered together.
- Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct.
- Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely.
- Edits After 15 Minutes Prohibited. Applicants may not edit their entries more than 15 minutes after submission. This includes editing done by forum moderators, unless the moderator specifically states that the entry had not been edited prior to the moderator's action. If the entrant submits an entry before the contest closes and then edits the entry after the contest closes, but within fifteen minutes of submission, the edits will be considered valid. Entrants should use the forum’s “preview post” function or an off-line text editor to check the entry before posting. Once winners have been announced, entrants may edit their entries.
- Multiple Entries Prohibited. Each applicant may only submit one entry during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but they will not be judged.
- Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Each entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts.
- Outside Links Prohibited. Entries may not include material hosted on a website other than the post on which the entry appears. Images hosted on, or links to, other websites will be ignored by the judges when scoring.
- Plagiarism and Previewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries found to be copying the work of another, or that have been posted for review prior to the close of the competition, will be disqualified.
The contest will run from today through Friday, June 5, 2009. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight on that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are Eldritch_Lord, Tinwe, TwinBahamut, and wrecan, and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan.
Good luck and have fun!!