[indent]One aspect of being a Dungeon Master is creating a complex campaign world in which to adventure. Within those campaign worlds, nations govern their populaces. An Expert Dungeon Master can create a unique nation that draws players into the fantasy without breaking suspension of disbelief, all the while providing fodder for countless adventures. This competition asks you to create such a nation.[/indent]
Welcome to the ninth Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold:
- To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum.
- To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly.
- To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.
In order to enter the competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:
- Name your nation.
- Provide a one- or two-sentence encapsulation of the nation's most prominent characteristics.
- Briefly describe the nation's geography, racial demographics, exports, system of government, and any influential non-governmental organizations.
- Briefly describe the nation's recent history, and the DCs for History Skill checks at which they become available.
- Provide a Background for player characters from the nation.
In addition, the entry must include at least three of the following optional elements:
- A city-state, the nation governs no more than one urban center and its surrounding farmlands.
- A plurality or more of the nation's populace believes the nation has an ethical or religious duty that extends beyond its borders.
- For reasons described in the entry, one character class has a disproportionate presence in the nation.
- One or more of the nation's leaders is of a race unavailable to player characters.
- The entry offers ideas for one or more nation-specific encounters for each tier of play.
- The nation contains a unique geographic feature, landmark, or monument that might be of interest to adventurers.
- The nation has a chivalric order, described in the entry, that is unaffiliated with the government.
- The nation has a unique tradition, custom, or observance that some player characters might find troubling.
- The nation has unusual laws with respect to the use of magic or concerning religious observance.
- The nation is in a fantastic location (cloud-city, on multiple planes of existence, underground, etc.)
- The nation is in a state of declared or undeclared civil war, rebellion, or revolution with two or more rival factions (governmental or otherwise) vying for control or influence.
- The nation lacks an essential resource (stone, wood, arable land, etc.) and must trade to make up the deficit.
- The nation's defenses rely on a unique ritual that their ritualists alone possess, as detailed in the entry.
- The nation's system of government is neither monarchic nor democratic.
- Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct.
- Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely.
- Edits After 15 Minutes Prohibited. Applicants may not edit their entries more than 15 minutes after submission. This includes editing done by forum moderators, unless the moderator specifically states that the entry had not been edited prior to the moderator's action. If the entrant submits an entry before the contest closes and then edits the entry after the contest closes, but within fifteen minutes of submission, the edits will be considered valid. Entrants should use the forum’s “preview post” function or an off-line text editor to check the entry before posting. Once winners have been announced, entrants may edit their entries.
- Multiple Entries Prohibited. Each applicant may only submit one entry during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but they will not be judged.
- Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Each entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts.
- Outside Links Prohibited. Entries may not include material hosted on a website other than the post on which the entry appears. Images hosted on, or links to, other websites will be ignored by the judges when scoring.
- Plagiarism and Previewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries found to be copying the work of another, or that have been posted for review prior to the close of the competition, will be disqualified.
The contest will run from today through Friday, May 1, 2009. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight on that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are Eldritch_Lord, Lord_Ventnor, Veok, and wrecan, and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan.
Good luck and have fun!!