[indent]Fanatical followers of strange philosophies and obscure gods can be a goldmine for story ideas and campaign settings. But creating a believable cult that can represent a challenge (or an ally) to player characters requires true expertise. In this competition, you should create a cult that other DMs can use to enrich their campaign worlds.[/indent]
Welcome to the seventh Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold:
- To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum.
- To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly.
- To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.
In order to enter the competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:
- Name the cult.
- Describe generally the history and philosophy of the cult and the god or gods (if any) the cult follows.
- Describe the current cult leader (if any).
- Describe generally the organization and membership of the cult.
- Describe one or more encounters that a DM could use to introduce the cult to an adventuring party.
- Describe what information characters could learn with a successful History, Religion, and/or Streetwise check.
In addition, the entry must meet at least three of the following ten optional elements:
- At least one encounter is described for each tier of play.
- Cultic worship causes a physical transformation in some of its members
- Cultists all have a permanent feature (tattoo, aura, haircut, etc.) that lets people who know the secret identify members of the cult.
- If a player character cleric joins the cult, they will gain access to a unique Channel Divinity feat detailed in the entry.
- The cult can be an ally or an enemy to the party, depending on the context.
- The cult is well-respected and special laws have been enacted to protect its cultic practices from nonmembers.
- The cult knows a unique ritual described in the entry.
- The cult leader's identity is hidden from everyone but the highest-ranking cultists.
- The cult leader is an influential member of the nobility or traditional clergy
- The cult seeks an artifact.
- Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct.
- Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely.
- Edits After 15 Minutes Prohibited. Applicants may not edit their entries more than 15 minutes after submission. This includes editing done by forum moderators, unless the moderator specifically states that the entry had not been edited prior to the moderator's action. If the entrant submits an entry before the contest closes and then edits the entry after the contest closes, but within fifteen minutes of submission, the edits will be considered valid. Entrants should use the forum’s “preview post” function or an off-line text editor to check the entry before posting. Once winners have been announced, entrants may edit their entries.
- Multiple Entries Prohibited. Each applicant may only submit one entry prior during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but they will not be judged.
- Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Each entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts.
- Outside Links Prohibited. Entries may not include material hosted on a website other than the post on which the entry appears. Images hosted on, or links to, other websites will be ignored by the judges when scoring.
- Plagiarism and Previewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries found to be copying the work of another, or that have been posted for review prior to the close of the competition, will be disqualified.
The contest will run from today through Friday February 13, 2008. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight on that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are BraveBoudica, mccowen, Nyarlathotep, TwinBahamut, and wrecan, and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan.
Good luck and have fun!!