[4E] Expert Dungeon Master Competition #6: Create a Signature Series!

187 posts / 0 new
Last post

Expert Dungeon Master Competition #6
Create a Signature Series!

Bigby. Mordenkainen. Tenser. These wizards have been immortalized in D&D in no small part due to the spells they crafted that bear their names. Now it is your chance to add another signature name to a series of powers or rituals.

Welcome to the sixth Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold:
  • To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum.
  • To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly.
  • To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.

In order to enter the competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:
  • Name the individual who created the powers and/or rituals described in Element C. (This individual shall be called the "signature character.")
  • Describe the basic information a History check might reveal about the signature character.
  • Describe three, four or five powers and/or rituals devised by the signature character. Include all necessary mechanical information.

In addition, the entry must meet at least three of the following thirteen optional elements:
  • One or more powers or rituals are described for each tier of play (heroic, paragon and epic).
  • Only martial powers and rituals that do not have Arcana, Heal, Nature or Religion as a key skill are described.
  • Only powers with the Conjuration keyword and rituals in the Binding Category are described.
  • Only powers with the Zone keyword and rituals in the Warding category are described.
  • Only utility powers and rituals in the Exploration category are described.
  • Out of guilt, remorse or shame, the signature character tried to hide the powers and rituals from others.
  • The powers and rituals would be considered useful to a single non-adventuring profession to which the signature character belonged.
  • The signature character designed the powers and rituals to compensate for a physical disability.
  • The signature character was an aberrant creature.
    Available to entries detailing powers:
  • At least one at-will power, one encounter power and one daily power is detailed.
  • No power requires standard or move actions.
    Available to entries detailing rituals:
  • At least one ritual uses Dungeoneering as a key skill.
  • At least one ritual utilizes a skill check to determine its efficacy.

Following are some general rules of the Expert DM Competition.
[post=16059666]>>>You can read the complete contest rules here<<<[/post]

• Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct.
  • Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely.
  • Edits After 15 Minutes Prohibited. Applicants may not edit their entries more than 15 minutes after submission. This includes editing done by forum moderators, unless the moderator specifically states that the entry had not been edited prior to the moderator's action. If the entrant submits an entry before the contest closes and then edits the entry after the contest closes, but within fifteen minutes of submission, the edits will be considered valid. Entrants should use the forum’s “preview post” function or an off-line text editor to check the entry before posting. Once winners have been announced, entrants may edit their entries.
  • Multiple Entries Prohibited. Each applicant may only submit one entry prior during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but they will not be judged.
  • Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Each entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts.
  • Outside Links Prohibited. Entries may not include material hosted on a website other than the post on which the entry appears. Images hosted on, or links to, other websites will be ignored by the judges when scoring.
  • Plagiarism and Previewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries found to be copying the work of another, or that have been posted for review prior to the close of the competition, will be disqualified.

The contest will run from today through Friday January 9, 2008. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight on that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are dulsi, TelinArtho, TwinBahamut and wrecan and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan.

Good luck and have fun!!

Questions & Answers
(questions posed by potential entrants and the coordinator's response)

Q. Can an entry describe only powers and no rituals? What about only rituals and no powers?

A. Yes. One of the reasons so many optional elements are given is to allow entries that have only powers, entries that have only rituals and entries that have powers and rituals.

Q. Can an entry satisfy optional elements 2, 3, 4 or 5 if it describes only rituals (or only powers)?

A. Yes, as long as the rituals described (or powers described) fit the criterion in the optional element for rituals (or powers).

Q. For purposes of optional element 10, must the powers be attack powers?

A. No. Utility, racial and other powers can be used, if properly justified.

Entry List
(hyperlinked list of contest entries)

• [post=17599808]mccowen's Dughosh[/post] [highlight](Gold Medalist!!!)[/highlight]
  • [post=17596090]AceRumble's Paschar[/post] [highlight](Silver Medalist!!)[/highlight]
  • [post=17561620]Nyarlathotep's Relvan[/post] [highlight](Bronze Medalist!)[/highlight]
  • [post=17468566]Titanium Dragon's Crow[/post]
  • [post=17471008]Lord Ventnor's Dorim Swiftaxe[/post]
  • [post=17500778]Veok's Azzex[/post]
  • [post=17509971]SteelMirror's Delmar Oakshield[/post]
  • [post=17529836]Eini's Lord Captain[/post]
  • [post=17531108]SaintKeelon's Gwendolyn Ganymede[/post]
  • [post=17591675]SkyOdin's Avinos[/post]
  • [post=17594585]Nani?'s Tuan[/post]
  • [post=17599823]Barmp's Felton[/post]

Disqualified and Late-filed Entries:
  • [post=17506121]gorditobandito's Archibald[/post]
  • [post=17548227]JayJian's Danarous Cinder[/post]
  • [post=17627254]Veok's Taeldrin[/post]

Medalists

[Deck=The Silver Medal Goes To...]

AceRumble with "Paschar"!!

[/deck]

[Deck=The Gold Medal Goes To...]

mccowen with "Dughosh, a Curiously Foresighted Orc"!!!

[/deck]

Congratulations to all of you!

The gold medalist, mccowen, is eligible for the custom title of "Heroic Dungeon Master" (if so desired) and is also now eligible to judge future competitions! If mccowen wins subsequent competitions, the custom title can be changed to "Paragon Dungeon Master" and then "Epic Dungeon Master".

Thanks also to my fellow judges, dulsi and TelinArtho, who did a great job of judging the competitions. I am so very grateful to them for volunteering.

Again, congratulations to everyone for such wonderful entries and thanks for making the XDMC a continuing success!

I must note, however, that Barmp's entry received a Themes score of zero because it neglected to specify the class of the power, which the judges considered "necessary mechanical information", meaning the entry was missing a required element (C). Please don't let that discourage either of you from entering future competitions. Just a word of caution that people should be careful to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's.

Stay tuned for XDMC #7 to begin (hopefully) in a few weeks. In the meantime, enjoy the carefully tabulated scores below.

[b]CONSOLIDATED SCORES BY ENTRY[/b]<br /> [b]Entry Creat'y Adpt'y Theme Rules Clar'y Bonus Total Author's Entry[/b]<br /> 1 9 2/3 8 1/3 9 7 2/3 4 1/3 0 39 Titanium Dragon's Crow<br /> 2 7 2/3 8 1/3 9 1/3 6 4 0 35 1/3 Lord Ventnor's Dorim Swiftaxe<br /> 3 12 7 2/3 8 2/3 7 2/3 3 0 39 Veok's Azzex<br /> 4 10 6 1/3 8 2/3 7 2/3 3 0 35 2/3 SteelMirror's Delmar Oakshield<br /> 5 9 1/3 8 1/3 6 2/3 6 1/3 4 1/3 0 35 Eini's Lord Captain<br /> 6 9 1/3 7 7 1/3 3 2/3 3 0 30 1/3 SaintKeelon's Gwendolyn Ganymede<br /> 7 11 2/3 7 2/3 8 2/3 7 4 1/3 0 39 1/3 Nyarlathotep's Relvan<br /> 8 9 7 2/3 9 7 2/3 3 2/3 0 37 SkyOdin's Avinos<br /> 9 12 1/3 6 2/3 8 1/3 4 2/3 3 1/3 0 35 1/3 Nani?'s Tuan<br /> 10 12 8 1/3 8 2/3 7 1/3 4 1 41 1/3 AceRumble's Paschar<br /> 11 12 1/3 8 2/3 9 1/3 9 4 1/3 0 43 2/3 mccowen's Dughosh<br /> 12 10 1/3 7 0 4 2/3 2 1/3 0 24 1/3 Barmp's Felton<br /> <br /> [b]CONSOLIDATED SCORES BY RANK[/b]<br /> [b]Entry Creat'y Adpt'y Theme Rules Clar'y Bonus Total Author's Entry[/b]<br /> 11 12 1/3 8 2/3 9 1/3 9 4 1/3 0 43 2/3 mccowen's Dughosh<br /> 10 12 8 1/3 8 2/3 7 1/3 4 1 41 1/3 AceRumble's Paschar<br /> 7 11 2/3 7 2/3 8 2/3 7 4 1/3 0 39 1/3 Nyarlathotep's Relvan<br /> 1 9 2/3 8 1/3 9 7 2/3 4 1/3 0 39 Titanium Dragon's Crow<br /> 3 12 7 2/3 8 2/3 7 2/3 3 0 39 Veok's Azzex<br /> 8 9 7 2/3 9 7 2/3 3 2/3 0 37 SkyOdin's Avinos<br /> 4 10 6 1/3 8 2/3 7 2/3 3 0 35 2/3 SteelMirror's Delmar Oakshield<br /> 9 12 1/3 6 2/3 8 1/3 4 2/3 3 1/3 0 35 1/3 Nani?'s Tuan<br /> 2 7 2/3 8 1/3 9 1/3 6 4 0 35 1/3 Lord Ventnor's Dorim Swiftaxe<br /> 5 9 1/3 8 1/3 6 2/3 6 1/3 4 1/3 0 35 Eini's Lord Captain<br /> 6 9 1/3 7 7 1/3 3 2/3 3 0 30 1/3 SaintKeelon's Gwendolyn Ganymede<br /> 12 10 1/3 7 0 4 2/3 2 1/3 0 24 1/3 Barmp's Felton

Ohhhhhh...You really have to look at this that I posted 2 hours ago:P

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1126129

Just to clarify. I think it is a coincidence.....but a great one:D
Two of the ideas that occur to me involve a fair bit of setting-specific history and goals for the signature character. Should we try to keep things as generic as possible, or are characters in particular settings (FR, points-of-light, homebrew, etc.) acceptable?
The more specific you make it, the more adversely it may affect your Adaptability score. However, if you make it too generic and vanilla, it could affect your Creativity score.

Please review the contest rules (link provided in initial post) for a full description of judging criteria.

Looking forward to your entry!
The more specific you make it, the more adversely it may affect your Adaptability score. However, if you make it too generic and vanilla, it could affect your Creativity score.

I looked at the rules, and had thought specifically about adaptability. I confess, I was hoping the adaptability criteria might be loosened a little for this theme. (c:

Oh, well. Just needs a little more work, is all... (starts scribbling)
I've got a few ideas... Heh heh heh...
Any problem with using an already existing, possibly popular, work as the signature character? Or pulling from modern culture for inspiration?

Example:
The fancy footwork of Johnny 'Tiger' Travold. Showcasing such high flying feats as:
The Saftey Dance, The Disco Inferno, and The Greased Electric Slide.
Any problem with using an already existing, possibly popular, work as the signature character? Or pulling from modern culture for inspiration?

Quoth the rules:

Some factors judges consider when assessing an entry's Creativity:
  • Has the concept been previously seen in popular culture or in a published gaming product?
  • Does the entry provide a new twist to or thoughtful parody of a common trope?
  • Will the entry be fun to both players and Dungeon Masters if included in an established campaign?

Well, to be honest pulling inspiriation is done all the time and I realize it's not a disqualification. Would something like this be negatively impact the score, or positively? Having lurked over many competitions it seems like it's up to the judges discression in the end, but I figured I would ask.

I actually figured it might be an adaptability problem more than a creativity thing. After all, not every campaign wants ultra serious or very light hearted figures.
This seems more of a Player Competition than a DM one, I don't really see what it has to do with DMing. It is an interesting idea though, albeit not one I am interested in.
Signature characters are a staple of campaign building (though not for everyone). Creating legendary heroes of yore that players can 1) emulate, 2) research, and 3) surpass helps to create a richer world for players and gives them additional story hooks.

There's a reason Modenkainen's Sword is still in the PHB, and why that Disk shall always be named after Tenser.

In my opinion, this competition is a marriage of flavor (who is that signature character) and design (how well-crafted are those signature powers/rituals).

I'm sorry you're not interested. Maybe next time!
Yay! XDMC! I already have an idea, though my format will be a little unusual . . . but still completely clear, concise, and easy for the judges to score! And what do you know- it won't have to do with the feywild for once!

And this time I will make absolutely sure to list my optional elements and pay attention to other organizational requirements :P.
Signature characters are a staple of campaign building (though not for everyone). Creating legendary heroes of yore that players can 1) emulate, 2) research, and 3) surpass helps to create a richer world for players and gives them additional story hooks.

There's a reason Modenkainen's Sword is still in the PHB, and why that Disk shall always be named after Tenser.

In my opinion, this competition is a marriage of flavor (who is that signature character) and design (how well-crafted are those signature powers/rituals).

I'm sorry you're not interested. Maybe next time!

Fair enough, a quite reasonable explanation.

I suppose a big reason is I usually prefer (my players too) for legendary heroes to have been past characters; none of us usually resonate with the "historical figures"/author's favourites much despite being an RP heavy group.

If I can come up with some good powers/rituals I might enter anyway and use one of my Player's characters as Inspiration.
I'm sure your player will appreciate it! (If you win...)
I'm sure your player will appreciate it! (If you win...)

Or if I'm last: "Hey look, I used your character in the competition, see how well I represented him?" :D
I added a question (and answer) to the Q&A that I'm anticipating might be asked.

The Crow's Rogue Powers

The Crow was a famous thief from Amerlyn. Centuries ago he was known for his ability to get into high places that no one else could reach and was seen bounding from rooftop to rooftop, his large, billowing cloak flapping in the breeze as he cleared gaps no other man could. No one ever saw his face, which was eternally hidden beneath the mask of one who would deal with the dead and dying, with its long beak designed to keep disease away from the one wearing it. For years he stole from the nobility, and rumor has it at least two mysterious deaths in the noble’s quarter were the result of the Crow sneaking into their residence in the night and suffocating them, then flying away into the city. His prowess of escape became legendary, and when the guards tried to capture him, he would fight like a savage animal, bounding from guard to guard before leaping away onto a rooftop or over a wall.
After several years of great fortune in his trade, he vanished; some say he simply made enough of a fortune to retire into anonymity. But when Amerlyn was attacked by an army of angry giants, the Crow reappeared to join a group of adventurers who lead an army from the city in order to drive off the chieftain. They battled the giants and their ogre allies, but were forced to fall back again and again before their might of arms. Finally, in a great battle outside the gates of the city, the Crow saw his chance. Vaulting atop the great giant chieftain, Wode, the Crow drove his dagger into his neck, again and again as the giant struggled to grab at him and throw him off. Finally the giant could take no more, and collapsed, but the Crow’s cloak snagged on one of the chieftain’s many skull trophies, dragging him downward with his foe only to be crushed under tons of mass. Their leader lost, the giants dispersed, but the Crow lay shattered beyond recognition below the giant, his identity impossible to discern from his crushed skull. So he was buried in an unmarked grave in the cemetery, never to steal again.
But the legend of the Crow lives on. Many who heard of the Crow’s exploits began to imitate his distinctive style, wearing billowing clothing to act as makeshift wings and training their agility and speed so as to be able to leap from rooftop to rooftop like their unknown hero and paying homage to his greatness. To this day, thieves who later turn to aid the city of Amerlyn are known as crows, and his grave is maintained, carefully kept clear of grass for all to see its blank stone face.

History check: A DC 15 History check gives the information from the first paragraph, DC 20 the second paragraph, and DC 25 the third paragraph.

Crow’s Nest Rogue Attack 1
You descend on your opponent from above, attacking them from an unexpected angle.
At-WillMartial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling.
Target: One creature which is at least one square below you in elevation.
Special: You can use this attack as part of a charge in which you make an Athletics check to jump a sufficient height to clear its space. If you do, the target is considered to be at least one square below you for the purposes of this power.
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Special: You have combat advantage.
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Dexterity modifier at 21st level.

Crow’s Wings Rogue Utility 6
You wrap your billowing clothing around your arms as you jump, using the stretched out fabric as makeshift wings to soar further.
At-Will Martial
Free Action
Requirement: You must be wearing a cape or cloak.
Effect: When you make an Athletics check to jump and your ending square is below your starting square in elevation, you may move up to two additional squares from where you would have landed.

Crow’s Flight Rogue Attack 13
You stab your weapon into a foe, then use it as a step to jump up onto their back, only to launch yourself at another enemy.
Encounter Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee 1
Requirement: You must be wielding a light blade.
Target: One creature.
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is knocked prone.
Effect: Shift into the target’s space, then make an Athletics check to jump, ignoring the squares the target occupies for the purpose of this movement. This jump does not provoke opportunity attacks and can exceed your natural speed. At the end of your movement, make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: One adjacent creature other than the primary target.
Secondary Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Special: You have combat advantage.
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier + Strength modifier damage, and the target is knocked prone.

Crow’s Descent Rogue Utility 22
You grab your billowing clothing with your hands and flap them to generate lift, turning a deadly fall into a glide.
Encounter Martial
Free Action
Requirement: You must be wearing a cape or cloak.
Effect: If you would fall, you may instead fly up to your movement speed as a free action; you cannot fly upwards as part of this movement. If at the end of your movement you are not touching the ground, you fall as normal.

Crow’s Perch Rogue Attack 29
You leap up onto the back of a foe, stabbing at their head and neck and holding your arm over their eyes as you ride them around.
Daily Martial, Reliable, Weapon
Standard Action Melee 1
Requirement: You must be wielding a light blade.
Target: One creature as large or larger than you.
Attack: Athletics vs. Reflex
Hit: 4[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and you shift into the target’s space. You gain combat advantage against the target and the target is blind and slowed until you leave its space. When the creature moves, you move along with it, staying in the same portion of the creature’s space. At the end of your next turn, you slide out of the creature’s space into the nearest unoccupied square of your choice. Make a secondary attack against the same target.
Sustain Standard: Make a secondary attack.
Secondary Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 3[W] + Dexterity modifier damage and you remain in the target's square until the end of your next turn.

Optional requirements fulfilled
One or more powers or rituals are described for each tier of play (heroic, paragon and epic).
Only martial powers and rituals that do not have Arcana, Heal, Nature or Religion as a key skill are described.
At least one at-will power, one encounter power and one daily power is detailed.
Hey... this is 4th edition :D

That would be why I didn't understand the requirements at all.
Wow, someone put up an entry before I even realized that the contest was open...

I am looking forward to judging this one.
Wow, someone put up an entry before I even realized that the contest was open...

I am looking forward to judging this one.

Well, I've missed the last several because I waited too long to really do anything. I had a good idea and executed it on the spot so as to avoid me forgetting to enter at all. >> Besides, I couldn't resist the "Crow's Nest" pun.

I look forward to the other entries.
Is it okay to detail magic items, places, organizations, and so on that are related to the signature character, as long as all required elements are met?
And TD draws first blood!! Welcome back to the XDMC!

To SkyOdin: As long as you meet the required and optional elements, you can add whatever you like, though it could affect your Adaptibility, Rules and Clarity scores. (It could affect them positively or negatively, though, so use your discretion!)
Okay, second question: is it required that the name of the signature character actually appear in the title of the powers and/or rituals (ex: Mordenkainen's Sword), or can an alternative naming pattern be used?
And here's mine!

[b][u][i]Dorim Swiftaxe[/b][/u][/i]

History Check:

DC 15: The Swiftaxe Style of Martial Arts involves using two axes to cripple an enemy’s movement. The founder of the style was a Dwarf by the name of Dorim Swiftaxe, a legendary fighter and an exarch of Kord, the God of Battle.

DC 20: Dorim Swiftaxe was a genius in the art of fighting from a young age, and was slated to become a great warrior until a disease crippled his right leg. Although he never truly recovered from the disease, he was able to work around it, and he developed several techniques that would allow him to stop enemies in their tracks so that he could more easily kill them.

DC 25: Dorim’s expertise in fighting became legendary, and he attracted several pupils. He eventually caught the eye of Kord, and became the God of Battle’s Exarch. His last known battle was against an Exarch of Bane, whom he slew in a brutal one-on-one battle. After this final duel, he left the known world to go to Kord’s side as an Undying Warrior. He has not been seen since then.

[b]New Fighter Class Powers[/b]

Swiftaxe Strike Fighter Attack 1
You strike your enemy in such a way that they cannot easily get away from you.
At-Will ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee
Weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding 2 weapons.
Target: 1 creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC (Main hand weapon and offhand weapon), 2 attacks
Hit: Strength modifier damage per attack. If both attacks hit, the enemy is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Increase to 1[W] + strength modifier at 21st level.
Weapon: If you’re wielding an axe, you can add your constitution modifier to the damage dealt by each attack.

Swiftaxe Flurry Fighter Attack 3
You quickly strike at a hobbled foe and knock him down before he knows what hit him.
Encounter ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee
Weapon
Target: 1 creature that is slowed, immobilized, or stunned.
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier per attack. If both attacks hit, then the enemy is knocked prone.
Weapon: If you’re wielding an axe, you may add your constitution modifier to the damage roll.

Swiftaxe Stance Fighter Utility 16
You observe your enemies patiently, using their mistakes to set up an opportunity for you to strike.
Daily ✦ Martial, Weapon, Stance
Minor Action
Personal
Effect:
If an enemy makes an attack against you that misses, you may slow that enemy until the end of your next turn as an immediate reaction. If you are wielding 2 axes, you may instead immobilize the enemy until the end of your next turn instead.

Swiftaxe Ambush Fighter Attack 23
You lash out at your enemy, ensuring that he will not be able to move for a while.
Encounter ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee
Weapon
Special: You can shift one square before you attack.
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier per attack, and the enemy is immobilized until the end of your next turn. If both attacks hit, the enemy is also knocked prone.
Weapon: If you’re wielding an axe, you may add your constitution modifier to the damage roll.

Swiftaxe Finisher Fighter Attack 29
In true Swiftaxe Style fashion, you probe your opponent’s defenses until you see an opening for a decisive blow, and you take it.
Daily ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee
Weapon
Attack: Strength + 4 vs. AC (Main hand weapon)
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and the enemy is slowed (save ends).
Weapon: If you’re wielding an axe, you can add your constitution modifier to the damage roll.
Effect: Make a secondary attack.
-Secondary Target: The same enemy.
-Secondary Attack: Strength + 2 vs. AC (Offhand weapon)
-Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and the enemy is slowed (save ends). If the enemy is already slowed, it is instead immobilized (save ends).
-Weapon: If you’re wielding an axe, you can add your constitution modifier to the damage roll.
-Effect: Make a Tertiary Attack.
--Tertiary Target: The same enemy.
--Tertiary Attack: Strength vs. AC (Main hand or Offhand Weapon)
--Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and the enemy is knocked prone. If the enemy is slowed, this attack does 2[W] damage instead. If the enemy is immobilized, this attack does 3[W] damage instead.
--Weapon: If you’re wielding an axe, you can add your constitution modifier to the damage roll.

[u]Optional Elements[/u]
1.) There are powers here that can be used in each tier of play.
2.) All the powers described here have the Martial power source.
8.) Dorim Swiftaxe had a crippled leg, so he used his techniques to slow and immobilize foes so that he could more easily dispatch them.
10.) 1 At-Will Attack Power, 2 Encounter Attack Powers, 1 Daily Attack Power, and 1 Daily Utility Power are detailed in the entry.
Okay, second question: is it required that the name of the signature character actually appear in the title of the powers and/or rituals (ex: Mordenkainen's Sword), or can an alternative naming pattern be used?

Tehnically, no. But I'm not sure thematically you have created a "signatue series" if it doesn't conain the individual's "signature." I don't know what you have planned so I cant give you further advice -- nor is it appropriate to give advice on a specific proposal. Do your best.
Here's a slightly different question:

Can a Power/Ritual be posted with an alternate name for those that don't wish to use the signature character, but like the power?
Are you asking me if you can give a name to the power/ritual in addition to the one that meets the theme of the contest?

I can't answer that except to say if you meet the required and optional elements, anything in addition to that is allowed, but how it gets scored will depend entirely on the specifics.
Can the signature character be signature characters, such as a legendary duo? Also, if so, does this have the possibility of negatively affecting the score? Thanks!
Can the signature character be signature characters, such as a legendary duo?

There has to be at least one person who created all of the powers/rituals listed. If that is met, then anything additional is fine.

And everything has the possibility of affecting your score negatively. I can't help anybody more than that. Do your best.

Short answer: Did your entry meet all the required elements? Did it meet at least three optional elements? Then you're fine.

Anything you add will not disqualify you. Whether it helps or hinders your score cannot be known until the judges score it.
...✦...

Just an open question to anyone, how do you make this little mark?

Edit: Also, option 10 is unclear. Does that indicate an at-will, encounter, and daily Attack power or the frequency the power can be Used? Because at-wills come in all three flavors, it could be a point of contention. Both of the current entries used option 10, but because of how they handled it, neither interpretation would hurt them. This could become an issue for later entrants.
Resident Shakespeare
Utility, racial, and feat powers can be used to satisfy optional element 10.
this mark from TD seems to be a unicode-character. i usually use one of those forums tags instead, works fine and you're not dependent on the encoding of the browser of others...

example:
[noparse][/noparse]
turns into
Here be dragons: IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cydyvkj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c54g6ac/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/csw6fhj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cbxbgmp/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cz7v5bd/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/ccg9eld/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c8szhnn/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cp68b5u/.gif)
56767308 wrote:
Sadly, I don't think this has anything to do with wanting Next to be a great game. It has to do with wanting Next to determine who won the Edition War. [...] For those of us who just want D&D Next to be a good game, this is getting to be a real drag.
57870548 wrote:
I think I figured it out. This program is a character builder, not a character builder. It teaches patience, empathy, and tolerance. All most excellent character traits.
This is my thinking post.

Hm...

#1 is pretty easy, sounds simple.

none of the others are really calling out to me though, think I'll hit up 10-13...

*discordant murmurs and mumblings*

One random thought -- I'm tempted to name my signature character something hopelessly convoluted; something like Gil Flanns, Chief Custodian of the Sanctum of Bliss, Third Order Exorcising Knight of Illysia and Grand Hedge-Magus of the Twelve Known Apostles.

You know... just to see that in the list of entries... :D
If you look past the plot and the voice acting, Metroid: Other M was an okay game. Not a great game, but an adequate one. Not using the Metroid item collect jingle though? That, was a mistake.
I'm sure that won't affect your Clarity score in any way. :P
So Gil Flanns the ****** **** **** sonof a **** that ****, who **** and ****** the town of Mynock.

Would that affect my clarity score?:angelhide
For the lazy, you can just copy-paste from any WotC PDF with it, or just from my post. I don't actually know the code for it. :P
Bumpage.
This seems like a fun challenge; c'mon people, I want more stuff to read! :D
Sign In to post comments