Bring on the forty-fourth installment of the Master DM Competitions!
Providing unique locales and interesting set pieces for the campaign world is a skill of Master DMs. Unique encounters that can be added into existing campaign world without disrupting the entire world are quite valuable to have on hand at the gaming table.
The purpose of this competition is the create a unique locale players may encounter in the game world. Specifically, a monument, and the pertinent area around it.
To complete a submission to this contest, an entry must include the following:
- A complete description of the monument (adhering to the definition of a 'monument' below) and immediate surroundings.
- A history of the creation of this monument and its creators
- Describe generally how a party of adventurers might discover and/or travel to/from the monument.
- At least one suggestion for an NPC, trap (including stat block), or other event that an adventuring party might come into contact with near the monument
An entry must also attempt to meet at least 3 of the following 12 thematic elements:
- The monument cannot always be found in the same place.
- A group of creatures live around the monument, even though they are adversely affected by it.
- The monument hides or is the key to acquiring a unique magic item (provide item description.)
- The monument is a source of contention between to or more groups.
- The monument is now used for something other than its original purpose.
- The monument changes owners frequently.
- The monument is actually intelligent.
- Monument was created with purely manual labor, no magical construction methods were used to shape the monument. Magical charms/effects can be placed on the monument after construction, however.
- The monument was created on top of or made from an existing natural land formation.
- No living creature recalls the reason why the monument was built, nor what it represents, if anything.
- Monument is only visible to certain creatures/races or at a specific time of day (or both).
- The monument is a magical Artifact with effects outlined in the description of the monument.
[post=14610738]The complete rules for the Master DM Competition can be found here[/post] (along with a lot of fascinating information about the competition’s history, its judges and past competitions and medal winners). All entrants should review these rules before submitting the entry. However there are some rules that seem to ensnare many first-time entrants. Please be cognizant of the following rules:
- Applicants are allowed a [highlight]15-minute period[/highlight] in which they are allowed to make edits to their entry. Any entry that has been noted as edited after this 15 minute period will be disqualified. This includes editing done by the board moderators, should the entry be in violation of the board’s code of conduct. It is recommended that an applicant use the board’s “preview post” function or write the entry off-line in a text editor to check the entry before posting. Once judging is complete, applicants are allowed to go back and edit their entry if they so choose.
- Your entry must fit in [highlight]a single post[/highlight]. Each applicant may only submit one entry for judging. Submitting multiple entries results in the disqualification of every entry you submit. If you have more than one idea, please wait until after the competition closes to submit it. These subsequent entries will not be judged.
- All entries must be the [highlight]original, exclusive work[/highlight] of the applicant. If an entry is found to be copying the work of another, or has been posted for review prior to the competition, it will be disqualified. However, entries may include a visual picture for the entry that is not the author's original work. Such non-original material will not be considered by the judges.
- Failure to [highlight]include all the required elements[/highlight] results in a score of zero for Thematic Consistency. Contest rules vary from competition to competition. At the beginning of each competition, any special rules for that contest will be detailed. Make sure you understand all of the rules before posting.
- Please [highlight]list the optional thematic elements[/highlight] you intend your entry to meet. This is not a strict rule, though failure to do so may mean your Clarity and Thematic Consistency scores may suffer.
The judges for this competition will be Heros_Backpack, spectralphoenix and Aan-allein, with Aan-allein coordinating. The competition will run from Friday, November 7 to Friday, December 5. The competition will close at midnight (between December 5th and 6th), Eastern Standard Time. Generally, a judge will declare the competition closed, although that is unnecessary.
Good luck and enjoy!