[3.5E] Master DM Competition 44: Create a Monument

80 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://ogrehut.com:81/media/mdmc.png)
Create an Monument

Bring on the forty-fourth installment of the Master DM Competitions!

Providing unique locales and interesting set pieces for the campaign world is a skill of Master DMs. Unique encounters that can be added into existing campaign world without disrupting the entire world are quite valuable to have on hand at the gaming table.

The purpose of this competition is the create a unique locale players may encounter in the game world. Specifically, a monument, and the pertinent area around it.

To complete a submission to this contest, an entry must include the following:
  • A complete description of the monument (adhering to the definition of a 'monument' below) and immediate surroundings.
  • A history of the creation of this monument and its creators
  • Describe generally how a party of adventurers might discover and/or travel to/from the monument.
  • At least one suggestion for an NPC, trap (including stat block), or other event that an adventuring party might come into contact with near the monument

An entry must also attempt to meet at least 3 of the following 12 thematic elements:
  • The monument cannot always be found in the same place.
  • A group of creatures live around the monument, even though they are adversely affected by it.
  • The monument hides or is the key to acquiring a unique magic item (provide item description.)
  • The monument is a source of contention between to or more groups.
  • The monument is now used for something other than its original purpose.
  • The monument changes owners frequently.
  • The monument is actually intelligent.
  • Monument was created with purely manual labor, no magical construction methods were used to shape the monument. Magical charms/effects can be placed on the monument after construction, however.
  • The monument was created on top of or made from an existing natural land formation.
  • No living creature recalls the reason why the monument was built, nor what it represents, if anything.
  • Monument is only visible to certain creatures/races or at a specific time of day (or both).
  • The monument is a magical Artifact with effects outlined in the description of the monument.

[post=14610738]The complete rules for the Master DM Competition can be found here[/post] (along with a lot of fascinating information about the competition’s history, its judges and past competitions and medal winners). All entrants should review these rules before submitting the entry. However there are some rules that seem to ensnare many first-time entrants. Please be cognizant of the following rules:
  • Applicants are allowed a [highlight]15-minute period[/highlight] in which they are allowed to make edits to their entry. Any entry that has been noted as edited after this 15 minute period will be disqualified. This includes editing done by the board moderators, should the entry be in violation of the board’s code of conduct. It is recommended that an applicant use the board’s “preview post” function or write the entry off-line in a text editor to check the entry before posting. Once judging is complete, applicants are allowed to go back and edit their entry if they so choose.
  • Your entry must fit in [highlight]a single post[/highlight]. Each applicant may only submit one entry for judging. Submitting multiple entries results in the disqualification of every entry you submit. If you have more than one idea, please wait until after the competition closes to submit it. These subsequent entries will not be judged.
  • All entries must be the [highlight]original, exclusive work[/highlight] of the applicant. If an entry is found to be copying the work of another, or has been posted for review prior to the competition, it will be disqualified. However, entries may include a visual picture for the entry that is not the author's original work. Such non-original material will not be considered by the judges.
  • Failure to [highlight]include all the required elements[/highlight] results in a score of zero for Thematic Consistency. Contest rules vary from competition to competition. At the beginning of each competition, any special rules for that contest will be detailed. Make sure you understand all of the rules before posting.
  • Please [highlight]list the optional thematic elements[/highlight] you intend your entry to meet. This is not a strict rule, though failure to do so may mean your Clarity and Thematic Consistency scores may suffer.

The judges for this competition will be Heros_Backpack, spectralphoenix and Aan-allein, with Aan-allein coordinating. The competition will run from Friday, November 7 to Friday, December 5. The competition will close at midnight (between December 5th and 6th), Eastern Standard Time. Generally, a judge will declare the competition closed, although that is unnecessary.

Good luck and enjoy!

Questions and Answers

Q. What qualifies as a 'monument'?

A. Based on some of the real-world examples of monuments (Mount Rushmore, Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower), the main determination of what constitutes a monument is size (either height or square footage) and being 'man-made'. Monuments can be created out of something natural (i.e. Mount Rushmore), but purely natural formations would be labeled "landmarks" or "land features" rather than a "monument" (i.e. the Grand Canyon). Regarding size, in order to be a "monument" the structure needs to be either twice the height of the intended patrons of the monument (a monument created by pixies can be quite small to a human PC, and still be a "monument"), or cover an area of ground large enough that it would take an intented patron more than one move action to cross it (a large plaque set in the ground, or a designed plaza would qualify as a "monument" by this rule).

Monuments are also created for some purpose, usually in remembrance of something or someone (therefore, most "memorial" constructions would also qualify as "monuments" for this contest).

Entry list

• [post=17290815]The Dragon's Rest[/post] by Bahamut_the_Gold
  • [post=17295948]Island of the Above Sea[/post] by dulsi (Bronze Medalist!)
  • [post=17297079]Shrine of the Blood Sea[/post] by ramzca
  • [post=17320195]Si Teirar Saes Thyrdaes Saesti[/post] by Jakonen (Silver Medalist!)
  • [post=17321950]The Clock House[/post] by Mordy
  • [post=17360016]The Spires of Perfect Lore[/post] by Eldritch_Lord (Gold Medalist!)
  • [post=17379143]Shax O' The Green[/post] by SaintKeeleon (Bronze Medalist!)
I suggest adding [3E] or [3.5E] to the title so people know it is a 3.5 competition.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

I suggest adding [3E] or [3.5E] to the title so people know it is a 3.5 competition.

Good idea dulsi; updated!
Nice! I'm judging the 4e competition #5 so maybe I'll submit an entry for this one.
Ah. I may enter this competition rather than the other one! This looks like it could be fun.
The MDMCs are revived just to be buried under? I think not.

That's Someone, with a capital S. "Cat's out of the bag on that one, isn't it? Who puts cats in bags, anyway? Cats hate bags." -Sheogorath, Oblivion
I resigned from my day job today due to some serious personality conflicts, and will be taking my chances finding another in this economy So, I'm feeling pretty down in the dumps; won't you please submit an entry for this contest and brighten my day? :D

Here's to the Economy! , Hooray!
Goodness man! Good luck to you on finding a new job. Must've been some rift that would cause you to cut yourself loose from firm ground.

All the best to you.
Best of luck on the job hunt, but I don't qualify for an entry. ;)
Competition places
Winner of Hero Craftsmen 3: Gladiator Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 1: Ancient Ruins Gold Medallist in MDMC 38: Populate a map I placed first (that's right, FIRST!) in the second CowCon: "We All get Old" Contest! Gold Medallist in MDMC 42: Create a Remote Location Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 7: I am Legend Best in Category: Rules Use - Hero Craftsman 17 Best in Category: Clarity - Hero Craftsman 17 Second place in Master Storyteller Competition 6: Fall from Grace Silver Medallist in MDMC 32: Magic Item Spectacular Joint Silver in Hero Craftsmen 6: The Frostfell Silver medallist in Hero Craftsman 17: We're going Underground! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 18: We need a Hero! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 20: Back to School
Show
http://drewbaker.com/warlord/images/group9/Durga.jpg Now that's a half-orc! Like Joe Wood? Meet Gwen. http://tinyurl.com/ringofnine
If you think commoners can't do anything, you should meet Joe Wood! The pen is mightier than the sword - but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett Methinks (still) wizards bit off more than they can chew. fantasy-28.gif
Best of luck on the job hunt, but I don't qualify for an entry. ;)

Sure, you can create a sample entry to get things rolling! Or just create one to hold on to until after the contest closes.
Okay, so... one week left; is anyone working on an entry? We got the judges together, are there any contestants? What about if I it up to the top of the list? :D
I am working on an entry for this - back story and general description of my monument is complete - just need to add a stat block or two. The "late rush" has become the norm for these contests so hopefully a few folks have at least sketched out interesting ideas for this one and plan to submit something.
I would like to compete the monument data will be finished soon.
I've been thinking about it since finishing my XDMC entry. Still haven't decided what to do yet.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

Somebody really needs to post an entry to get this one going.

Identical Games

Bump

Identical Games

I think I've decided on my idea. Hopefully I'll finish typing it up in time.

Identical Games

All right, twenty-four hours to get some entries finalized! Don't let the lack of entries so far scare you off; think of it this way: fewer entrants means less competition for that gold medal! :D
Here is my entry:

The Dragon’s Rest
History:
Almost two thousand years ago, no one quite knows for sure, Bahamut and Tiamat came together to create a final resting place for the remains of Dragonkind. This graveyard would hold the remains (And hordes.) of any Dragon that wished to be interred there. The Dragon’s alignment or method of death, or impending death, didn’t matter. No Dragon could be turned away for any reason.
So for the first and last time in the history of Dragonkind Tiamat and Bahamut worked together to create the graveyard. They spent months casting the magic, changing the laws of magic, and choosing a place for it to be accessible from all plains of existence. All Dragons know how to get to The Dragon’s Rest at birth. It is in their genetic makeup. No Dragon will ever under any circumstances tell anyone or anything its location.
Both Tiamat and Bahamut realized The Rest (As Dragonkind call it.) would need a guardian. It needed a guardian that would not leave or decide to take the hordes of the dead Dragons. Tiamat would not “give up” one of her minions so Bahamut simply asked all Dragon’s loyal to him for a volunteer. A Colossal Gold Wyrm named Doromagenious answered the call. He was in poor health and could only see out of one eye. His only stipulation was that his appearance would be like he was in his prime and he could keep his considerable horde. Both Tiamat and Bahamut agreed. Tiamat volunteered to cast the appropriate spells to “convert” Doromagenious into a guardian. Why Bahamut agreed is lost to time but what we do know is that both Bahamut and Doromagenious were betrayed by Tiamat. She cast her spells and told Doromagenious to drink the Liquid of Transformation. Just as Doromagenious was starting to drink the liquid Bahamut realized the betrayal and how it would come. In that split second he did the only thing he could. He converted Doromagenious’ horde into a life size gold statue of Doromagenious in his prime and tied the newly maid Dracolich to it as his phlactery. Bahamut was enraged and was ready to go to battle with Tiamat when he heard the bellow of the Dracolich.
“This is hallowed ground! You two will NOT fight here!”
Both Tiamat and Bahamut were stunned. They just watched as the new Dracolich took a few unsteady steps as he bowed to both of them and said:
“Forgive me. But this is how it must be. I am duty bound to watch over this ground and its future inhabitants. Being this…abomination is the only way it can be done correctly…forever”
Both Tiamat and Bahamut were touched by the words of Doromagenious. Tiamat because of the power and strength shown by Doromagenious. Bahamut because of the incredible sacrifice Doromagenious just made for his kin. Then something happened that has never happened before or since. Both Tiamat and Bahamut cut their own claws and bled on the ground making it holy to both the dark and the light.

The Golden Dragon Statue
The Golden Dragon Statue is at the entrance to the graveyard. Due to powerful magic non-Dragonkind no matter from which way (Or how) they approach will ALWAYS encounter the Statue at the entrance to the graveyard. Dragonkind entering the graveyard can enter from anyway they choose by land or air or tunneling up through the ground. The statue is 120 feet long, 18 feet wide and 12 feet tall with the wings extended to 120 feet. The statue is made out of solid gold and weighs 2,000,000 pounds. Only Tiamat AND Bahamut working together can move it. It looks like a Colossal Gold Dragon that is about to pounce. The statue is so life like (And magical) that it exudes Dragon Fear as the ability. The Dracolich Doromagenious has the ability to move in and out of the Statue as a free action. He will always be in the Statue when approached and will exit to engage the party as they get within 15 feet of the Statue. He can never be “trapped” in the Statue under any circumstances. All non-Dragon and non-Dracolich abilities possessed by Doromagenious described here are considered Divine Abilities as they were bestowed by both Tiamat and Bahamut.
Doromagenious stats are those of a Colossal Gold Dragon with the Dracolich template added. His other Divine Abilities in addition to the ones listed above are as follows:
• No spells granted by Tiamat or Bahamut or their allies can be cast AGAINST Doromagenious. Only helpful spells work without fizzling. In addition all Good aligned spells granted by Deities cast against Doromagenious have a 75% chance of failure. All Evil aligned spells granted by Deities have a 25% chance of failure. In both cases if a spell granted by Deities was able to make it past these defenses there is a 5% cumulative chance (Total for the group) the spell caster’s Deity would take offense and punish them (DMs discretion).
• Doromagenious cannot be tricked or fooled into allowing someone into the Rest. The reason to enter must be sincere and real.

The graveyard itself is a normal Dragon Graveyard as outlined in the 3.5 Rules. The only exceptions are as follows:
• Non-Dragonkind can only access The Rest if they make an appeal to Tiamat or Bahamut through whatever means the DM seems fit (Wish, etc.) This will ONLY give them the location from their plane. Actual access into The Rest is at the sole discretion of Doromagenious. After they leave The Rest (Whether they have been granted access or not) every non-Dragonkind forgets its location.
• As stated above Doromagenious has the final say on whether non-Dragonkind may enter The Rest. The reason to enter must be worthy to disturb the Dragons interred there. A noble quest to return part of a Dragon’s Horde, a quest to locate and remove an object that would do a great good for the world, etc. are a few examples of why Doromagenious would allow intrusion. A quest to find a magic sword for a king would never be allowed.
• No spells granted by Tiamat or Bahamut or their allies can be cast inside The Rest with the exception of healing spells. The only other exception would be spells that “heal” Doromagenious.
Well, we got one at least!

Let's hope we've got some more in the works.
You didn't put it in the entry categories... I don't think...

I'll be posting mine later tonight/tomorrow unless it ends today... Sad if it does, I been waiting for a 3.5e Contest to come 'round again...

~Ramzca~
I'll be posting mine later tonight/tomorrow unless it ends today... Sad if it does, I been waiting for a 3.5e Contest to come 'round again...

The contest has about two and a half hours left! Though of course the MDMCs always welcome post-contest entries just for the challenge of the entry, so please do post your entry once it's done, even if it's after the bell.

Good luck to any others who are still working hard on their entries! Even if I or another judge doesn't post at midnight (EST) to close the contest, the timestamps of the posts are the final law, so get your entries in in the next two hours or so to contest for that coveted gold medal!
Island of the Above Sea

Description

The Island of the Above Sea resembles a white cloud from the ground. Up close several archways of black slimy stone can be seen. The archways are huge allowing entire ships to entire the cloud. The cloud is partially solid but constantly shifting in shape. Inside the cloud are a collection of shifting rooms and corridors. All immense in size. The rooms has more of the bilestone that for the archways. The rocks jut out in odd directions that seem chaotic to most creatures. The largest room contains a column with unusual symbols on it. The aboleth symbols translate to "above", "sky", and similar words. The entire area feels alien.

History

The glyph of above gave the aboleths the ability to swim through the air. The new realm enthralled some of the deep horrors. Free of the watchful others, they explored their own desires. When the powers faded they returned dutifully to the dark seas. Consumed with the desire for the sky, a group of aboleths stole the glyph and escaped into the clouds. Over time the magical energies of the glyph absorbed into their bodies. Eventually they no longer required the glyph of sky. The Island of the Above Sea was created to house the glyph.

The aerial aboleths abandoned the Island of the Above Sea centuries ago having no more use for the glyph. Recently Captain James Blade discovered the cloud. The famous war hero refused to accept the defeat of the Bartuth Kingdom. Rather than surrendering his airship as order by his king, he continued to raid enemy land. He undoubtedly would have been caught by now were it not for the secret base in the clouds. Unfortunately staying close to the bilestone has begun to take its told on the Captain and crew. They have suffered some losses due to recklessness during raids. Captain Blade has become less discriminate about opponents.

William Booth was captured by authorities but seems to have gone mad. He keeps drawing the symbols from the column on the walls of his cell. This has attracted the interest of the aboleths. Believing that Captain Blade has found the glyph of above, they have begun searching for the pirate. This in turn have alerted the aerial aboleths. They do not wish the others to join them in the sky.

Aerial Aboleth

The aerial aboleths are described in the Lords of Madness (pg 20). They are more chaotic than regular aboleths. They fly at 60ft (good) but have lost the aquatic trait and swimming.

Bilestone

A full description of bilestone can be found in the Lords of Madness (pg 27). The rock affects the mind of non-aberrant creatures. They suffer a -2 penalty to saving throws against mind effects and wisdom skills while within the Island of the Above Sea.

Adventure Hooks

Captain Blade needs more crew to replace loses. The PCs are in town when the pirates attack. They can either be taken or simply be requested to retrieve those who have.

The aboleths use an enslaved wizard to hire the party to seek out the pirates. In return for the location of the Island of the Above Sea, the party will be rewarded handsomely but the aboleths will recover the glyph.

Captain James Blade
Human Fighter 10
Medium Humanoid
HD: 10d10+10 (64hp)
Init: +4
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 17 (+5 chain shirt, +2 buckler) Touch 10, Flat footed 17
BAB/Grapple: +10/+12
Attack: +1 shocking burst bastard sword +15 melee 1d10+5 (16-20/x2) +1d6 (+1d10 critical) electric
Full Attack: +1 shocking burst bastard sword +15/+10 melee 1d10+5 (16-20/x2) +1d6 (+1d10 critical) electric
Face/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: None
Saves:Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 13
Skills: Bluff +2, Climb +6, Diplomacy +5, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (Geography) +3, Knowledge (Local) +2, Profession (Airship Sailor) +8, Sense Motive +4, Swim +4, Use Rope +2
Feats: Endurance, Die Hard, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Improved Critical (Bastard Sword), Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Negotiator, Skill Focus (Profession (Airship Sailor)), Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword), Weapon Specialization (Bastard Sword), Greater Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword)

Equipment: +1 Shocking Burst Bastard Sword, +1 Buckler, +1 Chain Shirt

While a Bartuth soldier, Captain Blade earned the respect of his men with his tenacity. His charisma allowed him to quickly rise in rank. He had short brown hair and a mustache. As the maddening bilestone affected him, his hair has become more unkempt. He now sports a beard. He still maintains some reason. Should someone be able to explain what has happened to him, he will give himself up in return for letting his crew go.

Glyph of Above

Any aboleth within 20 feet of this glyph gains the amphibious special quality and the ability to fly 60ft (poor). The effects of the glyph last for 24 hours after the aboleth leaves the area of effect. Aboleths with prolonged exposure to the glyph and do not return water once a day transform into aerial aboleths.

Strong transmutation; CL 18th; Craft Aboleth Glyph, shapechange; Price 324000

Optional Elements
1. The monument cannot always be found in the same place. (The cloud drifts through the sky but is rather slow.)
2. A group of creatures live around the monument, even though they are adversely affected by it. (Bilestone)
3. The monument hides or is the key to acquiring a unique magic item (provide item description.) (Glyph of Above)
4. The monument is a source of contention between two or more groups. (Captain James Blade, aboleths and aerial aboleths want the monument.)
5. The monument is now used for something other than its original purpose.

Identical Games

The contest has about two and a half hours left! Though of course the MDMCs always welcome post-contest entries just for the challenge of the entry, so please do post your entry once it's done, even if it's after the bell.

Good luck to any others who are still working hard on their entries! Even if I or another judge doesn't post at midnight (EST) to close the contest, the timestamps of the posts are the final law, so get your entries in in the next two hours or so to contest for that coveted gold medal!

... Guess I can't, I'm on the west coast and forgot the time difference >.< I'll try, but I won't promise. Any chance I can turn it in by midnight Pacific?

EDIT: Never mind... I won't get finished in time before 12:00. I'll still submit mine but I don't expect it to be counted.

~Ramzca~
[INDENT]Shrine of the Blood Sea[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Monument of Enternal Agony[/INDENT]

"Blood shall rain from the skies ('till the day we die),
Pain shall plague our lives ('till the day we die),
So why not submit? (Why?)
Why not give in? (Give!)
Those who do haved not sinned!"
-Excerpt from the Handbook of Painful Dominance.

History: Nestled in the cavern shrine of the Blood Sea, this monument has stood for many years, marking way to the realms of blood that the fanatics believed.
[INDENT]No one knows when it was originally created, or why it was created, but, less than three hundred years ago, it was discovered by a power hungry sorceror. The sorceror saw that the monument pulsed with magic, and used this to his advantage. Exploiting the magic, he attempted to summon up a demon from the infinite realms; but, he bit off more than he could chew, summoning forth an demon of untold power.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Unable to close the portal, the sorceror was forced to endure days to weeks of torture by the demon, only thing keeping him alive was the spells that the demon casted. As the demon grew bored, he thought better than simply killing the poor sorceror. The demon cursed the sorceror's soul to be imprisoned in the monument, where the sorceror would suffer endless years of undeath, feeling the wounds of the past and the future.[/INDENT]

Description: The Monument of Enternal Agony towers above most who look at it, standing at an outstanding ten feet in height while still being in prestine condition. From afar, the monument resemebles a female (giant) reaching into the darkness, only to have blood trickle down from its arms and eyes to the moat around it. The monuments head is of a fair maiden with long flowing hair at first glance, but, when inspected as at a closer range, its masterfully crafted white stone is nothing more than a "skeleton" of its former self, with its skull a grim replica of still decomposing one. At this close of range, one can see that its eyes have worn down due to the (seemingly) endless amount of blood that oozes forth from it. The bottom of the statue's finely crafted stone robe and base are tinted a bright shade of crimson.

Description of its Location: Standing in the middle of a high-ceiling room, the monument has drastically changed the appearance of a once, dank carvern. Barely any of the room that it is in is actually afloat, due to it is surrounded by a (seemingly) bottomless moat which its blood pools in. The small pathway that leads directly to the monument is stained a shade of red and can be very slippery to those unprepared. The room the monument is in it brightly lit by five giant torches that do not seem to ever burn out, giving the room an odd sort of sickening glissen. Adorned are the walls that these torches hangs on, with finely crafted and placed bricks.

As you exit the 'Shrine Room' through a giant pair of doors, finely encrusted with diamonds and rubies, you see how quickly the cavern turns back into its natural form, with seemingly no effort made by the fanatics to finish building. The cavern itself is nothing very special, just a couple of rooms with statues and beds before the exit into the heart of the mountains.
Show
(^I have maps if needed^)

The Never-Ending Torment: The Monument of Enternal Agony emits an aura that forces those within thirty feet to feel its suffering. For every hour one is in its presence, it loses (permantely loses for NPCs/temporarily loses for PCs) 1 hp, which is siphoned into the statue itself. As it siphons more energy, the soul inside it grows stronger until it is able to manifest itself. This is why fanatics sacrifice their selves to their "god", hoping they will be repayed in the afterlife.

Uncontrollable Madness: One per day, the Monument of Enternal Agony must randomly choose a minion to drive insane. An insane minion will attack the closest creature, friendly or not, and gets a +2 to Strength but a -2 to Intelligence.

Telepathic Connection: Once per day (Daily), the Monument of Enternal Agony may attempt to open up a direct connection to a target's mind in an attempt to drive them "insane". When insane, the target acts if under the Confusion spell and gets +2 to Strength but a -2 to Intelligence. DC(X; depends on level) will save negates. If affect, a save at the beginning of each round negates.

Adventure Hooks:

One-Sided Deal: A local group of fanatics are looking for a willing adventurer(or adventurers) to look into the deaths of several of their own in an old cavern. The group/person may agree to come "investigate" or forcefully be taken at night as a sacrifice.

The Enternal Torment: The local psychic has had a vision of a tortured sorceror of (untold) power returning to the mortal world to unleash all of his rage and torment to all of those in his way. She has requested the help of the adventurers to stop this before it happens by destroying the monument.

Optional:
2) A group of creatures live around the monument, even though they are adversely affected by it.
5)The monument is now used for something other than its original purpose.
7) The monument is actually intelligent.
10) No living creature recalls the reason why the monument was built, nor what it represents, if anything.

Additional Information: Alright, I am very sorry about the grammar/spelling of this entry, but, I rushed through it so I could attempt to get it in and, for some reason, it didn't post the last one I worked on for several hours. I am half-asleep, so, hopefully, it didn't turn out too bad... Sorry for it being late... I understand if I am not accepted...

~Ramzca the Drowsy~
Generally, a judge will declare the competition closed, although that is unnecessary.

Some of the older competitions considered the end to be when a judge officially closed the contest, but it looks like that's no longer the case. Unless perhaps the other judges and contestants would be willing to retroactively extend it a week, and see if people can write some entries over the holidays?
For future contests, I suggest starting them after the close of the XDMC so they aren't running concurrently (or at least not as much as XDMC may still start again before the MDMC ends). Granted I think this one was difficult to schedule due to the holiday for some.

Identical Games

Well, thank you to the several folks who got entries in in the last few hours there. I am going to officially say the contest is closed now, and I'm going to confer with some past judges and see what should be done with three entries (with one technically past the cutoff time). We may decide to re-open the contest to get some more entries, or perhaps a gold in this competition won't qualify the winner to be an automatic judge for future entries due to such low entry numbers.

So, I'll get back to you on that shortly; in the meanwhile, I and the other judges will start tabulating results for the existing entries. Any additional entries feel free to post, and if we do extend the deadline, they'll be automatically entered.
I'm going to make the call to keep this contest open another two weeks (one week as added time for more entries, and a second week because this week is a holiday week) to allow more people to get entries written, now that the XDMC is over for this round, and hopefully we can get more entries than we have medals to hand out!
So, just to get this straight, this contest is still accepting entries?
So, just to get this straight, this contest is still accepting entries?

Yes, we'll accept entries until Dec. 5th
Si Teirar Saes Thyrdaes Saesti:
(Formal common translation: The Crystal Tear Temple, Literal Common translation: The Crystal Tear Flower shrine)

Ask any elf scholar why their race is the way they are, you will get 1 of two answers. Answer one being, “we became older.” Answer two (the right answer) being “because what we were before ‘The Change’ made him cry.”
In time before times, Corellon Larethian wanted to make the most magical race of all. He began molding the Thosylaer, the creatures that would later become the Elves. After Ten-days of toil, he had created the first thousand Thosylaer. Half of each and every Thosylaer was composed of the purest form of magic. He taught the Thosylaer how to build, how to speak, how to shape the world to their needs.
For a time all was well with Corellon Larethian’s creations. However one flaw was born in to every Thosylaer that Corellon Larethian had not intended. All Thosylaer were too powerful. Their abilities already allowed them to shape the world around them and change all aspects of their lives; so what was left to control? A large group of Thosylaer had decided that they would take their influence to the other races. Corellon Larethian disapproved of this entirely. The group of Thosylaer ignored their god and attempted to enslave Gruumsh’s people the Orcs. Gruumsh threatened to destroy all the Thosylaer for this. Corellon Larethian loved his creations too much for them to be destroyed. Thus the battle in which Corellon Larethian stabbed out Gruumsh’s Eye took place.
While the battle between the two gods took place the group of Thosylaer that attempted to enslave the Orcs wished to reattempt the effort. The rest of the Thosylaer, who had obeyed Corellon Larethian’s wishes, attempted to stop them. The two groups of Thosylaer had a great battle that scorched the earth to glass. Corellon Larethian returned from his battle victorious. He then saw what had become of his beloved Thosylaer. After the battle a single Thosylaer was still alive. The loss caused Corellon Larethian to shed a single tear on the battlefield. From the Divine tear, a single flower sprouted. A flower made of crystal that shone like a star.
The last Thosylaer saw the grieving god and in some act of penance ripped most of the magic from his body and cast it aside. The Thosylaer then molded a glass temple from the land of the battlefield with his bare hands to house the flower.
“Why have you done these things?” Corellon Larethian asked the last of his creations.
“This Temple will be the birth place of your new creations.” The Thosylaer replied.
“The Creations will be as you were?” Corellon Larethian asked his creation.
“They will be as we were, yet let them not have our power at birth.” The Thosylaer replied, “Let them achieve it by work.” Summoning the last of his power the Thosylaer made himself into a Grand Forest. soon after the Thosylaer's sacrifice, Corellon Larethian had created the First 4 elves. instead of one half magic being in there bodies only one sixteenth magic was infused.
From this temple the first elves were born. The temple represents the birthplace of the elves, and a constant reminder of what they could have been.

Si Teirar Saes Thyrdaes Saesti is found 2 miles south east of the Elfish city Osondrol.
Si Teirar Saes Thyrdaes Saesti is a 200 tall, 310ft by 310ft Ziggurat made of nigh indestructible glass. It consists of a single shrine room and a hallway into said room. Due to the Crystal flower, light emits from the glass temple. Bright light extends 50 feet from the walls of the temple and 100 feet of shadowy light from then on.
The hallway is 15 feet wide and 10 feet tall. The floor is made up of a mixture of regular soil and glass
The shrine room is 300ft by 300ft. The ceiling arcs up like a step ladder the lowest part being 15 feet tall and the highest being 190 feet tall. The top of the Ziggurat is open to the air. Roughly 4 to six high priests of Corellon Larethian reside there at all times. (level 18 clerics, one level 16 cleric 4 hirophant.)
The Crystal flower in the center constantly is releasing positive energy. Any Elf or Half Elf that is with in the Shrine room gains level 5 fast healing. Humans and other races gain fast healing level 4. If any living creature spends a day with in the light, they get the effects of a Protection from Negative Energy Spell that lasts for 1 day after she leaves the light. If the creature spends an entire month in the light an extra 2 years is added to the maximum lifespan of that creature limited to 1.5X Creatures max age. Finally one pint of dew is collected from the Crystal flower every 300 years. Administering the dew to the recently deceased (2 weeks) brings the affects of true resurrection.
The players may come across this monument a number of ways.
1. Whilst traveling through the forest the light the flower emits may attract their attention enough to investigate.
2. While staying in Osondrol they may hear about this holy site and may be urged to go there.
3. If a member of the party is a follower of and/or is a cleric of Corellon Larethian, they may be asked from a cleric of higher ranking to be a part of a special service.
NPC encounters may include traveling followers of Corellon Larethian and Tourists/adventurers (believe it or not)
Quest hooks,
• Alarm and panic is found around Si Teirar Saes Thyrdaes Saesti. After millennia of bloom, the Crystal Flower is showing signs of wilting. The Archpriest of Corellon Larethian commissions the Party to investigate the cause of this. (Could be tied to a pre end of the world story arc.)
• For the past 5 months now, Sightings of a tall elf like creature have been seen within the vicinity of Si Teirar Saes Thyrdaes Saesti. Rumors grow that this creature is the spirit of the last Thosylaer. In the city of Osondrol a Venerable Elf Scholar has issued a reward for the true nature of these sightings.

This is kinda my first one so be nice.
The Clock House

Gnomes, when the days grow longer, tend to make pilgrimage to see the masterwork building they call, 'The Clock House.' None can remember why it was originally built, nor for what it was originally used. Those are facts only privy to a select few - those historians of this remarkable monument.

The Clock House was built on the naturally formed peninsula Roye, on the southern most tip of the island of Taily. It was commissioned by the seventh king of Taily, who wished a monument to his prodigious intellect. In those days, the kings of Taily were chosen by whom was the most brilliant, most insightful, most imaginative tinkerer of them all. King Gair was such a man in his generation. The Clock House was to be his most stunning achievement. For 100 days and 100 nights he labored over the blueprints, worrying his eight wives and thirty-seven children. His health suffered. He lost weight. He began to speak to himself.

But when the time was complete, the blueprints were ready. Next, he recruited a hundred of the most brilliant gnomes to help implement the erection. They worked for a decade building the Clock House. Essential to its construction were thousands of tiny gears to move and adjust the always living House. For King Gair had designed the house to always change. It was never the same one night to the next. It always reconfigured itself - the rooms shifted, or the stairs moved, or it became ten flights tall, or only one split-level. He designed it to go twelve millennia without copying itself once. (Why twelve millennia? Because all gnomes from Taily know that in the twelve millennia the clockwork dragon will arrive and herald the Great Time of Boltsteam.) The gears that powered the house extended below, into the very earth itself. The peninsula was given hinges and even today Roye swings and sways as the House demands new shape - new form. Today it faces East. Tomorrow South.

No one could have predicted what such a House would become. Had anyone ever used so many gears? Had such a marvel ever existed in the annals of elves or men? No. So it should surprise no one that after the House was built, it seemed to grow a mind of its own. When King Gair came to visit, it would change itself in ways most pleasing to the King. When Gair's least favorite wives came, it would change to shun them. One night, a secret traitor to the kingdom stayed in the House. The House locked him in a room and shuffled him away into its many gears. He never emerged. His treachery was revealed later, but rather than endear many to the House, it horrified them. Counsels formed to debate what to do with the building. After Gair's death, a team of gnomes went to dismantle the House. The House killed them all.

Many years later, those who had built it, and those who remembered King Gair, had long passed from the world. The gnomes of today see the house as a marvel of a forgotten age - the greatest gnome artifact of the ancient world. But they could not tell you why it was built, or what purpose it served. They do not know that after Gair's death, his body was interred in the House, which lovingly took its builder's body from his people, and buried it within. They do not know about the de-constructers whom the House ate, nor the political rivals who only spent one night within its walls. They only know that nothing quite as amazing has ever been built, and, to a gnome, they are certain such a thing could never exist again. Today they stroll around it, and rest beneath the trees that seem to grow in such abundance in its gardens and orchards.

Requirements Fulfilled

1. The monument cannot always be found in the same place.
5. The monument is now used for something other than its original purpose.
7. The monument is actually intelligent.
8. Monument was created with purely manual labor.
9. The monument was created on top of an existing natural land formation.
10. No living creature recalls the reason why the monument was built, nor what it represents, if anything.
Yes! Two more entries! Thank you Jakonen and Mordy, your entries are now added to the header listing for this thread.
no prob, just thought it be nice to try one of these out.
Happy Turkey Day, all!
Still time for more entries people.

Identical Games

Whoa! I'm glad you decided to keep this open! I've been bustin' my butt for the Hero Craftsman, but now I can do this too! Thanks guys!
Whoa! I'm glad you decided to keep this open! I've been bustin' my butt for the Hero Craftsman, but now I can do this too! Thanks guys!

Yay, we'd be glad to have an entry from you, SaintKeeleon! If any adventursome, qualified judges want to join in too, we still only have three judges for this competition.
Sign In to post comments