Welcome to the fifth Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold:
- To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum.
- To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly.
- To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.
As a new tradition for the competitions, every other fifth competition (i.e., any competition whose number ends in “5”) shall be a “Populate This Map” competition. Delving into Wizards of the Coast’s Map Gallery, we will select a map from the gallery and ask contestants to populate a portion of the map with a series of encounters. The goal is to create a coherent and exciting series of encounters within a larger dungeon complex.
The map to be used in this competition can be seen in the spoiler block below:
In order to enter the competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:
- Name your entry
- Establish a recommended party level for your encounter (assuming there are 5 PCs of that level).
- Describe encounters for three, four or five contiguous encounter areas on the map, identified by the number used on the map.
In addition, the entry must meet at least three of the following ten optional elements:
- Negative consequences befall parties that do not complete the encounters or dungeon within an established deadline.
- No encounter area contains humanoids.
- One encounter occurs only if the PCs fail a combat or skill challenge in a prior encounter.
- One or more encounters contain a NPC that can be convinced to aid the party.
- One or more encounters contain a unique form of terrain that affects movement.
- One or more magic items are included as treasure, and every one of them may be used by NPCs against the party prior to the party obtaining them as treasure.
- One or more skill challenges grant successes for use of the Streetwise skill.
- One or more skill challenges must be accomplished during combat.
- The encounters get progressively more difficult no matter what order the PCs encounter them.
- The entry describes adjustments to be made if the party takes an extended rest after completing at least one, but not all the encounters described in the entry.
For purpose of this competition, please consider the following:
- “Contiguous encounter areas” means numbered encounter areas on the map between which adventurers can travel without using magic and without passing through an intervening numbered area.
- You may add terrain, traps and/or creatures to any encounter areas.
- If you choose to include terrain, traps or creatures from one of Wizards of the Coast's Fourth Edition publications, you do not need to reproduce the entire stat block. Simply supply the name of the terrain, trap or creature as found in that publication and the name of the publication in which it can be found. If that terrain, trap or creature is to be modified in your entry, you may either produce a new stat block or simply describe the changes made to the published stat block.
- If you own the supplement in which this map was originally published – P1: King of the Trollhaunt Warrens – do not use the encounters described therein. (If you don’t own this supplement, it is extremely unlikely you would accidentally populate the map with the creatures used therein.)
- You are welcome, but not required, to give background information for the dungeon complex as you envision it for your entry.
- Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct.
- Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely.
- Edits After 15 Minutes Prohibited. Applicants may not edit their entries more than 15 minutes after submission. This includes editing done by forum moderators, unless the moderator specifically states that the entry had not been edited prior to the moderator's action. If the entrant submits an entry before the contest closes and then edits the entry after the contest closes, but within fifteen minutes of submission, the edits will be considered valid. Entrants should use the forum’s “preview post” function or an off-line text editor to check the entry before posting. Once winners have been announced, entrants may edit their entries.
- Multiple Entries Prohibited. Each applicant may only submit one entry prior during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but they will not be judged.
- Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Each entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts.
- Outside Links Prohibited. Entries may not include material hosted on a website other than the post on which the entry appears. Images hosted on, or links to, other websites will be ignored by the judges when scoring.
- Plagiarism and Previewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries found to be copying the work of another, or that have been posted for review prior to the close of the competition, will be disqualified.
The contest will run from today through Friday November 21, 2008. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight on that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are BraveBoudica, Decapitus, Whitman and wrecan and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan.
Good luck and have fun!!