Volunteer Community Lead Application Thread

This thread may be used to apply for VCL tasks which are listed on a monthly basis in this forum.

Application Procedure

Community members who are interested in applying for a VCL position should make a post detailing their interest. All VCL candidates must be 18 years of age or older.

VCLs will be selected based on many factors. These factors include, but are not limited to:

• Past history as a member of the Wizards community
• Past history as a poster on various Wizards forums.
• Your informed opinion on the current state of communication between Wizards and the Community and your ideas on how to improve it.
• Your thoughts on ways to help build the Wizards community and make it a welcoming place for all gamers.
• A specific area of expertise/focus (Such as Magic The Gathering, D&D, etc)

The ideal candidate for a VCL position will have some or all of the following attributes:

• Positive attitude regarding Wizards of the Coast
• Detailed knowledge in their specific area of focus.
• Ability to be a team player and work well with others
• Ability to create proposals for community building initiatives
• Ability to identify existing issues in the community that may need to be addressed
• Ability to collect supporting data in the form of logs, tests and other forms
• Ability to evaluate proposed changes to identify possible unintended consequences or issues
• Ability to handle discussions with players, testers, VCLs, and developers in a mature and reasonable manner
• Ability to handle direction from the Community Management team
• Willingness to work within the spirit of the VCL program and ability to remain constructive and positive

When applying please include as much of the following information as possible:

• Why you feel you'd be an effective Volunteer Community Lead.
• Your experience in the area of the position for which you are applying
• List of the games you play and your experience with social networking sites

Please use this thread for applications only. Questions and other off-topic posts may be directed to other threads in this forum. Thank you.

All around helpful simian

This is a revision of my original application

I would be interested in applying for the DDI VCL position.

Age Requirement - I am 34 years old.

I have been a member of the WotC forums since 09-28-06. Mostly as an occasional poster/lurker, but since the announcement of 4E D&D I have been more active.

• Your informed opinion on the current state of communication between Wizards and the Community and your ideas on how to improve it.

I feel that there are currently two extremes. Most people who use the Wizards forums don't actually need nor care about communications from WotC. All they care about is that the forums still work, and that they can find the information that they need and chat with others who share the same hobby as them. Then there is a small percentage of people who are actually interested in communicating with WotC. It is this smaller group that must be focussed on to start, as they are the ones who will spread the word to other posters.

This last group is where the communications problems currently lie. They feel that the communication that there is between WotC and users is not sufficient. Too many weasel-words/statements and not enough concrete information being given out. Too much lag-time between questions and answers.

In the recent months since the creation of the DDI forums, the communication has increased both in volume and effectiveness. The regulars in the DDI forums are in an unusual sitution. They are witing for software that they know is in the process of being developped, and that some people have tested at GenCon, DDXP, PAX, and other conventions, but is not yet ready for release to the public. The Digital Insider column, as well as the high level of interaction between the DDI staff and DDI forum users is extremely appreciated. Even if the response is "Can't do that yet", it is appreciated because the questioner *knows* that a dev has seen the question and has thought about it.

Currently I play D&D (3.5 and 4E.)

I think that this is evident from my posts. While WotCmay have stumbled at times, it is advancing and is getting better. The VCL program has been, and will continue to be will be a large step in that direction.

I was one of the first several waves of Forum Leads, in a forum where feelings against the 4E Dev Team are fairly antagonistic. I have worked extensively in the DDI forums to ensure that there is a constant line of communication between DDI development staff and users. I have started a number of Directed Discussion threads that have provided focussed topics for users to discuss and developers to read.

I spent 6 years in the Royal Canadian Artillery (You yell, We shell, 24 hours a day!!) both as a NCO and as an officer. Both leading soldiers as well as being led. At the end of my career, I was regularly in charge of 50-75 soldiers. Responsible for their well-being and safety.

On the WotC forums, I have been VCL for the DDI forums since summer 2008. In addition, despite being fairly optimistic towards 4E D&D, I was a FL in the 4E D&D Concerns and Criticisms forum. While I disagree with many of the posters there, I am fairly confident that most would say that I was an effective FL for the community.

I also have no hesitations in PMing participants in threads if they get too close to violating the CoC and asking them to back off a bit. I am also not afraid to defer to those (ORCs, other FLs/VCLs/Users) who have more experience.

I have suggested that there be a manner where FLs/VCLs can easily contact WizOs for advice/suggestions/help with their community. I have suggested a manner it which it might be possible to retain the current WizO on call format yet also allow for WizOs to also be able to aid in forums in which they have experience and are familiar.

I have started a number of DIrected Discussionthreads in the DDI forums which allow the developers to access a wide range of opinions on a focussed topic, to more accurately and easily gauge customer opinion and, hopefully, provide some ideas that may not have beent hought up before.

• Ability to identify existing issues in the community that may need to be addressed

I have collected questions for the 4E D&D team and organized voting to decide which questions should get passed on.

I have regularly brought forward to CM topics and concerns from the DDI forums.

PhD Chemist. I spent 7 years of my life running experiments and collecting data.

• Ability to evaluate proposed changes to identify possible unintended consequences or issues

No plan survives contact with the enemy. In this case, no plan survives contact with the users. While it is important to identify possible consequences or issues, it is also important to be flexible enough to adapt to those issues that no-one foresaw.

• Ability to handle discussions with players, testers, VCLs, and developers in a mature and reasonable manner

Working in the 4E C&C forums requires maturity and the ability to see the other side as well as your own. Passions frequently run fairly hot in that forum.

I have much experience following directions and plans.

• Willingness to work within the spirit of the VCL program and ability to remain constructive and positive

I think my work in the VCL program to date is fairly indicative of this.

I have the ability to be passionate about a subject, yet also to detach my feelings from the job I have to do. A VCL needs to be able to work for both the WotC CM team, yet also present the opinions of the users to CM.

I have been in the DDI VCL position for the past 9 months, and have done, in my opinion, a good job of making sure that the dev team is aware of the feelings and mood of the community and vice-versa, both by way of quick PMs/IMs to CM staff if something is urgent, to longer PMs when more detail is required.

D&D (3.5 and 4E). Some familiarity with d20 Modern and SWSE. MMO-wise, I have almost 3 years of experience with City of Heroes, and shorter bouts with WoW, EQ, AO, Eve Online, TR and Vanguard. For Social networking, I am quite addicted to Facebook.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
This is a revision of a my original application.

My application applies to the task of Senior VCL of the WIZARDS.COMmunity and General Gaming forums.

I was active on Gleemax since the pre-alpha preview site was launched. In addition to active forum participation, I earned the title of "The Inquisitor" through comprehensive questioning of not only Gleemax staff about Gleemax, but the Ultimate Gamer Test Finalists during the essay portion of the competition.

Other significant accomplishments include:

Selection for access to Gleemax Alpha prior to its public release.

Successfully advocating for the creation of the Gleemax Play-by-Post Forum and guiding the success of that forum since its creation.

Attaining the Scribe tag through compilations of FAQs and fact-finding activities such as the "Old Setting Reprints" thread and the "Compiled CM Responses" thread in the VCL Forums.

Becoming Forum Lead for the following Gleemax Forums: General Gaming, Bug Reports, Feature Suggestions & Feedback, Gamer Radio Zer0, and Play-by-Post. In addition, I successfully advocated for the creation and became Forum Lead of the Gaming Industry Jobs Forum.

I have successfully performed the task of Senior VCL for the WIZARDS.COMmunity and General Gaming forums since the beginning of 2008.

I was also selected to attend GenCon 2008 as a booth volunteer in recognition of my contributions to the community.

My weekly news feature, Monkey Monday News (later renamed Gleemax Monkey News), on the Gleemax Blogs, was one of the Featured Blogs on Gleemax Alpha at the time of Alpha's release and was a regular feature for 26 issues.

In summary, I have been an active supporter and participant of Gleemax throughout its existence and am currently an active member of the Wizards of the Coast community.

Age verification: I'm 33.

Additional Information

My Informed Opinion of the current state of communication between Wizards and the Community and your ideas on how to improve it.

I have seen the presence of WotC staff in the forums, both here and on places like EN World, increase over the past two years. With that increase comes a greater flow of information, communication, ideas, and criticism. Every word a staff person posts is scrutinized, torn apart and reported on, granting WotC staffers an internet celebrity status that hasn't existed before. Forums have become much like newspapers and tabloids, depending on the nature of the forum goers. From WotC's perspective, I would recommend courses on active customer service for any individual who will be posting on a forum. Because they will be representing not only their own interests and opinions, but those of the company, it is vital that WotC staffers be on the same page from a customer interaction stand point. On the same token, those forum goers who choose to volunteer to help out the forums and community by volunteering as Forum Leads and VCLs should have a basic "customer" interaction training as well, since, to a lesser extent, they will be representing the company to the community, and, perhaps more important, they will be representing the community to WotC.

My thoughts on ways to help build the Wizards of the Coast community and make it a welcoming place for all gamers.

Focus on the Now. Focus on the tools we currently have and readjust plans for when more tools become available. The technical aspects of the forums are, for the most part, beyond our control as community members so the best way to build the community is to simply utilize what's available, while making suggestions for the future.

My specific area of expertise/focus.

Dungeons & Dragons is my game of choice but my area of interest in the community began with Gleemax and extends into supporting the community from the community's focal point, the WIZARDS.COMmunity and General Gaming areas. I've played roleplaying games of all sorts since 1987, with a primary focus on Dungeons & Dragons.

Jack Irons
a.k.a. ironlightsaber
9/7/72

Position desired:
VCL for Star Wars games

Past history as a member of the Wizards community
I started viewing the boards in 2004 and became a member in 2005.

Since joining I have been a very active member of the Star Wars boards. I have participated in several customizing contests, was the lead designer of the customs for the SWM board project The Lost Twenty, currently create the S3 puzzles with fellow board member Klecser and have written several series of articles on the main WOTC Star Wars web site.

I am a Forum Lead for Star Wars Miniature Customs.

I am also a very active player in my local community. I have hosted large events that expose new players to Star Wars miniatures and create excitement for old players.

Please view the links in my signature for examples of my activities.

Your informed opinion on the current state of communication between Wizards and the Community and your ideas on how to improve it.

Many of the suggestions I had in my original application have been implemented.

The brand manager and designers communicating on the boards have been a very positive move.

Qualifications

I work well with groups, take direction well and I'm self motivated.

I started playing Star Wars Miniatures with the release of the very first set and have played Star Wars RPG before WOTC created their first version of the game.

My background in art has developed my skills in being able to provide constructive criticism. Although I do not agree with every choice of Gleemax or Wizards I respect the fact that these are their boards and that they are very generous in providing this area for improving the gaming experience for all players.

As an active gamer and huge Star Wars fan I have insights into both groups of fan bases. Working with groups of people, taking the lead in projects as well as taking direction from others is something I do in my daily job and in projects on the boards.

My interests give me an endless supply of ideas for activities and ways to create a better community. From running large Nexus events or participating in a message board project, I enjoy the experience of meeting, playing and working with new and old players.

Direct communication, problem solving, willingness to help and a desire to see the games I enjoy continue and improve are the elements I can bring to the VCL program.

Beyond Star Wars Minis and RPG I have been a gamer since the days of AD&D 2nd edition. Some games I have played in the past include Marvel (TRS late 80's) D&D, AD&D, Star Wars WEG RPG, Magic and many others. Board games I have played in just the past few months include Arkham Horror, Zombies, Settlers of Catan, Cave Troll and Robo Rally along with classics like Chess, Pente and Trivial Pursuit.

My wife and I will be celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this past Halloween. We have a little boy who will be turning three in a few months. Reading, movies, video games and creating art are how I spend any additional free time.

Thank you for your time.

CLICK ON THE ICONS TO GET MORE INFORMATION

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

B]Age: I'm over 20 years old.[/b]

VCLs will be selected based on many factors. These factors include, but are not limited to:
• Past history as a member of the Gleemax/Wizards community

I joined 01-14-04 and I've been a Forum Lead for the d20 Modern RPG HQ and its subforms. In that time, I've been chosen as the VCL for the SW are and then the St ar Wars RPG side and help bring it a more organized fleeing toward the whole Star wars area.

• Past history as a poster on various Gleemax/Wizards forums.

I've helped create several indexes of importent links for the various D20 modern boards and the star wars rpg forums,and in the processor of updating those indexes.

My personal, individual experience in dealing with Wizards of the Coast, as a Forum Lead, has been an up and down exprince due to not having a hired person who deals just with D20 modern.I think having atleast one of the devlopers who worked on D20, who still works for WotC,come down to the area and ask for ideas would be wondeful

D20 modern forum and sub forums. EDIT: SWRPG

The ideal candidate for a VCL position will have some or all of the following attributes:
• Positive attitude regarding Wizards of the Coast and Gleemax

I do have a positive attitude and hope to help both WotC and Gleemax be the best it can be.

I've helped create several indexes of important links for the D20 modern area along the indexes for both the Star Wars RPG and Star Wars Minis and I've earned the respect for several folks in the Star Wars RPG area along with the D20 modern.

I have experience in teams having being on a team two years in a row for The adventures in Supercomputing Challenge,while not the winning team in either year,I did make sure that all of the dead lines were met and the reports and projects submitted.

I've given a few ideas already,edit: creating and discussing creation of new forums

I believe i have already demoenstrated this ablity by my actions as the FL for the D20 modern area and as former VCL for the Star Wars RPG area.

Supporting data is an important part of making an argument. Whatever forms of infomation collection I may not know, I am more than willing and ready to learn. EDIT: I am currently doing a poll on the subject of an off topic forum similar in nature to the rec room

I feel i can do that in,having to deal with this very issue while working on the ASIC projects in the past.

I have had some years experience dealing with forums, where debates can get extremely heated very quickly. I have also learned when to back down and take a step back.

I'm more than willing to be given direction,just aslong as it isn't telling me to go off a cliff. ;)

The D20 modern needs a VCL who will help them carry thru these tough times,untill we reach the year 2009.

• Why you feel you'd be an effective Community Lead.

I believe I would be an effective Community Lead because of my experience as a Forum Lead right here. This has taught me how to work within the framework of an Internet community in the capacity of someone who's meant to coordinate ideas and submit them to improve things.

The key reason why I think I'd be an effective Community Lead, however, is that I find D20 modern and Star Wars RPG to be an exiciting game and it needs the person with the right attitude for it to keep growing strong.

EDIT: I'm was the VCL for the SW RPG area and worked with Ironlightsaber in doing this task. I also feel i have a handle on the needs and wants of the RPG side.

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
This is a revision of my original application.

I would like to apply for the position of VCL for the Magic section.

I've been an active member in good standing on the Wizards forums for over five years now. I'm one of the most active users on the entire forum system, being listed as one of the top three most prolific posters in the members list. (The top few have artificially inflated post counts.)

I am intelligent, articulate, level-headed, reasonable, rational, diplomatic, and well-known and well-respected across the Magic boards.

I have maintained multiple FAQs and reference threads across the boards for a number of years now, including the extensive and ever-expanding Rules Q&A FAQ system, which I believe is now one of, if not the, most comprehensive and user-friendly FAQ system on that topic available anywhere, on the internet or off. (If you see one better, link me up and I guarantee mine will beat 'em hollow before the month is out.)

I have been a GM of the MPFG forum for over a year now, and a Scribe for longer. I have held contests and games, invariably successful and well-attended, in multiple areas of the forums.

My record as a poster is near-spotless; I have never received so much as a single offical warning from the moderation team. I have been an unfailingly active, helpful and and positive presence throughout the Magic boards as well as in the metaboards of other sections throughout my posting history.

Communication between the community and Wizards is in a much better state than when I first applied for the Magic VCL task; we've gotten a lot done over the past ten months. But with the loss of Solice, CM is still being left shorthanded; it's unfair to ask Mike to shoulder the problems of every single area all on his own in addition to his other duties.

• Your thoughts on ways to help build the Wizards community and make it a welcoming place for all gamers.

As I said in my original application, we need to provide things here that people can't get elsewhere, or else to provide them better. The new Gatherer and the remodeling of the Standard forum (and soon the Extended forum as well) is an excellent start, but it's only a start. We still don't have anything like MTGSalvation or MOTL's trading systems, which would be a godsend to the trading community on these forums, and we also don't have anything to compete with MTGSalvation's wiki.

There was an attempt over UnCon to arrange for the Magic website to use a fan-made banner, but apparently the necessary processes for doing that kind of thing weren't in place. They need to be created and put into place--the chance to have your stuff put up on the official website would be an immense draw for users.

We need to fix the WSoD problems and other issues that have been plaguing the forums and make this the biggest, most stable and reliable, and most feature-rich site on the web to discuss Magic, D&D, and all of Wizards' other brands.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Position desired:
Senior VCL for Star Wars
Over 18?
Yes. If you want my exact birth date, full name, etc please PM me.

Past history as a member of the Gleemax/Wizards community
I've been on Wizard's forums and posting since 2006. I was VCL for a few months, actually the first SW VCL I stepped down due to time commitments, but those have cleared up so I actually will have more time to commit to helping out.

Your informed opinion on the current state of communication between Wizards and the Community and your ideas on how to improve it.
There has been a real break down in communication between the posters and the moderators, at least in the Star Wars forums, ever since the format of moderation has changed to non dedicated mods. It's gotten better, but some problems still exist, especially with consistent moderation because not everything is reported that should be and some things are reported that should be left alone. This has caused "Drive By Moderation" where the mods don't read whole threads, rather edit and discipline based on what was reported to them rather than the actual problems sometimes. Also, moderators are a lot harder to find now than they used to be so people are less likely to go to them for advice. I seek to improve the system by being a visible person for others to approach for advice on posting habits in general, help finding things, and an ear for people to use when they are frustrated or have a problem. I will watch for problems on my forums, making sure all threads reasonably stay on topic, watch for problems developing between users, and lead by example. Communication is the key here. I will communicate with my forum to let them know what is going on and what is expected of them as members and Customer Service to keep them aware of any problems that arise as soon as I see them.

EDIT: Things have gotten better with the VCL program since I wrote this back when I was originally applying to be a VCL. I think things could improve more and unfortunately could easily slip right back into this pattern if all involved are not careful. Things still need to be looked at on a case by case basis and all things taken in context rather than knee-jerk editing, deleting, and locking.

Your thoughts on ways to help build the Gleemax community and make it a welcoming place for all gamers.
One thing I think Star Wars forums need is someone who understands our particular community. When I was VCL I was able to get two members who really disliked each other to talk things out and get along. While they occasionally still have hiccups, things have been nicer between them and as a result nicer around the SWM forums since then. That's the sort of thing I think I bring to the forums, the ability to get people to stop and listen and my knowledge of how message board drama works. Things can quickly get out of hand if allowed to. While I'm not always great with things like updating FAQs and Index threads, I'm great with the interpersonal relations and have considerable message board experience with it (see above about my TFN experience).

A specific area of expertise/focus and other attributes
My focus is Star Wars minis. I spend most of my time in the General Forum, but also post and read in the Rules forum quite a bit, along with a little lurking in the Squad Critique forum. I've been playing off and on since the very first set was released back in 2003 I think it was. I may not be the best gamer in the world, but I know the game and I know Star Wars.

My area of expertise comes more from the leading/moderating side of things. I'm one of the head admins at TheForce.net, one of the biggest Star Wars message boards there is, so I have quite a bit of experience dealing with people in message boards. I understand how problems can occur because someone read something into a post that wasn't meant, and I'm fairly good at problem solving when situations do arise. I am a team player, am able to both give and receive direction. My day job is a college math teacher, so I'm great with teaching/leading others, problem solving, data collecting and analyzing (pretty much anything number based). Being a math teacher has given me an ability to look at a problem/situation from several different angles or points of view. A leader needs to be able to do that IMO.
Thank you for considering my application as a VCL. I am especially interested in serving the Star Wars community, if possible, but willing to help with other games as well.

I have played WotC games, including Magic, D&D, Dreamblade, Star Wars Miniatures, Star Wars RPG, and Axis and Allies Miniatures, starting with Magic back in 1996. I have been a member of the various message board communities since 2000, and have had this username for at least five years. In some areas, it is a recognizable name.

I think there has been a tremendously successful push in the last six months to strengthen communications between the customers and the managers and designers of WotC's various games, and it's a opportunity I have tried to help foster through my own dealings with various WotC personnel the last couple of years. I am currently involved in an effort at the highest level to strengthen such relationships between the company and the community even further.

While Star Wars Miniatures is the game I would classify as my "specific area of expertise," I am also very familiar with Magic and D&D, as well as the Saga Edition of Star Wars RPG. I pay attention to threads in those sections of the message board, and have posted with some frequency on all of them at one time or another.

I have to admit my attitude about WotC has not always come across as the greatest, but that is only the result of a desire to see the company be as successful as possible. I believe I meet all of the other criteria listed as a prerequisite for a VCL appointment. Once a member of the now defunct-Delegate program, I am proud of the opportunities working with the company has afforded me in introducing more people to many of the game WotC has produced over the years. I also served on the "think-tank" group for the creation of the VCL position, and held the title of Forum Lead (though I have been told recently such a position no longer exists).

As anyone who knows me can attest, I generally work well with others and enjoy studying information and am a good gauge of attitudes and opinions. I am best known for posting threads that ask thinking questions, and have been known to offer advice of my own from time to time.

It is a strong desire of mine to see the community - every section, every game - grow and foster stronger, healthier relationships, and if you see fit to appoint me to such a position as a VCL, I will do everything I can to help that effort come to fruition.

Star Wars Miniatures/RPG is my preferred area, though I understand the section currently has a person in charge.

Again, thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.
My first account on the Wizards community was Crath Lade, approx 04/05.
That is up to the other members, and those who will read this application to decide the validity and wholesomeness of my posts
The VCL program is a great way to improve the communication between the Community and Wizards of the Coast. To improve on this, I believe more cooperation and interaction between the employees of WotC and the Community is in order.
My thoughts on this topic are simple. Build the community by offering a refuge from everyday life, as well as the opportunity to have intelligent conversation with other gamers, both familiar and foreign.
Star Wars Miniatures

I've been playing SWM on an off for nearly three years.
I work best on a team, love brainstorming, and bouncing ideas off of other members for the greater good.

The best way to do this, is to listen and not talk. The issues make themselves known almost instantly, and then they are easy to repair.
I am a firm believer in listening twice as much as you speak, and only speaking when you have something important to say when it comes to formal matters
Like stated above, I follow directions to the letter, unless it blatantly and blindly infringes on the internet rights of the other members who have not violated the code of conduct, or any other rule put onto them by the Wizards of the Coast.
That is my objective in applying for the position

I have been a gamer since I was a young boy, growing up playing the Pokemon TCG while it was under Wizards of the Coast, and then changing through a group of card games like Magic the Gathering, and Duel Masters, before finding my hobby in Star Wars Miniatures. My plethora of gaming expertise makes me a prime candidate for the VCL position.

I believe that I would be an effective Volunteer Community Lead, because I strive to create the best atmosphere and experience from any forum I visit, and I wish to give the same to the other members of this community. My passion for a pleasant gaming community will only thrive as a VCL.

I have been a member of many social networking sites, such as myspace, and facebook, and formerly, xanga. I am a moderator at the Blue Flame Citadel, and member of SWMGamers.com, as well as a former member of a number of other forums.

In conclusion, I must say that I bring many things to the table, mainly a thirst for knowledge, a passion for gaming, and a hunger for perfection. I will bring a fresh mind to the table, and continue to strive to create the best possible online expirience for other members of the community, and take on any task given to me with a sense of pride for this community, for what I do, reflects not only on myself, but on Wizards of the Coast as a whole.

I yearn to hear your reply, and to your consideration, I say thank you, and if chosen, another.
Position Desired: VCL for Star Wars

Hello! Please consider my application! :D

I have been regularly posting on various forums throughout the Wizards community since 2001.

From 2001-2004 I was a regular poster on the Dungeons and Dragons miniatures forum and the Star Wars RPG forum. Since 2004 I have been one of the most active posters on the Star Wars Minis forums.

I think that communication between the Star Wars sections of the community and WotC is stronger now than it has ever been. I'm really pleased how much effort the brand manager and lead designer of Star Wars Minis have put into keeping the consumers informed. Future directions for improvement could be to have more question and answer sessions and a continued web presence on the forums.

I think it starts with understanding a difference between criticism and arguments. As a leader of the Star Wars Miniatures community, I’ve worked to try to help people understand this distinction. Criticism is not personal. I think understanding this interest and being an advocate for people understanding the distinction is an important “unwritten rule” for any community to develop.

Star Wars Miniatures, although I could split duties on the RPG side. I don’t know the RPG as well, but am an avid role player and game master and could definitely contribute to specific discussions. I have a limited amount of time due to a very active career and would rather do a really could job being a VCL for one forum than spreading myself thin across several.

Although I don’t always agree with all the design decisions that occur for a game, I understand that Wizards is a business. In my experience working as an independent contractor for WotC in 2008, I found that I was treated fairly and that the attitude of the staff was excellent.

I am currently nominated for the Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Fame by other community members for my contributions to the game over the last four years. I have written many articles about the game and have tried my best to be a positive presence on the boards for recruitment of new players and for discussions of the game. I am also one of the top ranked DCI players in my area. People frequently come to me for reliable rules clarifications and tactical advice.

I haven’t always got along with other forum members, but I feel that it has been due to miscommunications that were eventually resolved. I also feel that we have a lot of passionate folks in the Star Wars Minis community and that our zealous love for the game has resulted in misunderstandings. I have worked hard over the last year to focus on the game and recruiting and retaining new players. I think my Hall of Fame nomination is a clear sign that people think that I am a valuable poster to the boards and community at large.

As a teacher, I was recently awarded an Omaha Ike Friedman Teacher Leadership Award. I am used to leading in my real profession and I can do the same for the Wizards community.

A huge part of my real life career is problem identification and resolution. As a science teacher, at its core, I am really teaching problem resolution to others. I can definitely work on this for the forums. I have over 30 graduate hours in statistics and routinely analyze educational data.

Part of being a leader is understanding the strengths and weaknesses of team members and how to place individuals in appropriate roles to emphasize their strengths. I am up to the challenge of working with the VCL staff to do what is best for the community at large.

I think that people know me by a long-developing reputation as a forum member who has the best interests of the community at heart. I don’t always agree with other forum members, but I have always considered this to be criticism based solely on differences of opinion. I think that forum members want to be lead by individuals that they know have a history with the game, and I have been playing the game and posting about it from the beginning. I also run a game club at my school and WotC games are some of the most played.

• List of the games you play and your experience with social networking sites.

Star Wars Miniatures
Magic: The Gathering
Star Wars Role-playing Game
Axis and Allies (various editions)
Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures
Dungeons and Dragons Role-playing Game

All of my experience with social networking web sites is here, but my career focus in life heavily involves relating to people and understanding how to help them learn and resolve conflicts.
Renewal Application

I herewith apply to be considered for a renewal of my the position as the VCL for the three DCI HQ boards: the DCI, the WPN, and the DCIR board.

I'm a regular poster on these boards since their inception approximately two years ago and in good standing with the DCI and (personally) known by most of their core office holders.

Having Advanced TO status within the WPN and being a DCI-certified judge, my main goal is help other folks to learn the ropes of being a successful TO by answering questions, providing advice, encouraging exchange, and by fostering a friendly and helpful online environment. Positive feedback left and the number of PMs and e-mails I receive with additional inquiries, indicate, it seems, that I'm a well-respected member of this community.

Besides compiling a FAQ (hopefully this week, before the Spring Term starts , I have some other plans for this year to facilitate and encourage exchange on the three boards and have made suggestions already for how to make them more useful (decision pending).

Many thanks for your time and, as always, special thanks to crazy_monkey for reminding of the things I don't have the time to stay on top of!!!

Best, BillBo
I am renewing my application for AH/AAM VCL.

DOB: 9/3/82

Joined in Nov. 2005

I stick mostly to AH/AAM. I rarely post but I read most threads every day.

It has improved since WotC_Mike took over, but there is a lot of resentment about Eastern Front. I think a proactive attitude would have helped a lot towards explaining mistakes and quieting discontent.

Still need to offer more in the way of content, such as scenarios, maps, a EF gallery and updating the database. Other areas include new avatars for users.

AAM and Was. I also DM a little D&D 3.5 and play a little 4.0

I am encouraged by improvements, especially efforts form WotC_Mike but I think there is more to do.

I've played both AAM and WAS since they came out.

I have worked with WotC Mike well, as well as other VCLs to coordinate UnCon 2008

I have worked on several issues, including additional avatars and organizing UnCon 2008

Done

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

I have been filling the position since August.

See above

D&D 3.5, 4.0, WAS, AAM
As February draws near, it seems my task is set to expire once more.

I would like to resume the task for another term, however, and include my updated application below.

Age Requirement - I'm 32 years old.

Why you feel you'd be an effective Volunteer Community Lead

I have been a member of the RPGA forums for about three years now. I began frequenting the forums shortly after attending an RPGA game at GenCon.

My friends had lost most of their interest in D&D favoring board games instead, so I decided I would contact a local gaming store, and start my won group.

The RPGA forums were a friendly resource, and I soon found myself frequenting them on a regular basis. It has been a pleasant change from many online communities where asking a question leads almost immediately to cries of "RTFM" and the like.

As an RPGA member I've been very active in many aspects of the RPGA's operations. I've been a player, a local organizer, GMed at major conventions, and currently am an RPGA HQ volunteer at major cons.

This has given me the opportunity to meet many members of the community face-to-face, as well as meet some of the "big names" in the RPGA, including David Christ (Senior GM for large cons) as well as Chris Tulach (RPGA Content Manager) and Ian Richards (Organized Play Manager).

I feel I have done a good job both as a "regular" poster, and as a VCL to-date in fostering the community, helping "newbies" find the resources they need, and making myself available to the community.

Privately I've even received occasional "kudos" from LFR Global Administrators, as well as the regular posting community for my efforts. Hopefully that means I'm doing more right than wrong.

Your experience in the area of the position for which you are applying

Alas, I inter-mingled this with my responce above, as a quick recap however:

• I have been playing D&D since ~1993
  • I have been active with the RPGA since ~2005

In addition to being an RPGA player I have also:
  • Organized a local group of RPGA players in my FLGS
  • Stepped up to GM at major conventions (GenCon, DDXP, Origins)
  • Become a part of RPGA HQ staff at major conventions
  • Been stalking Chris Tulach with a GPS transceiver I hid on the undercarriage of his car

List of the games you play and your experience with social networking sites

Games
Frankly, my games are too numerous to list though I can give highlights:
RPG: Dungeons and Dragons 2nd - 4th editions
Board Games: Name it, I've probably played it.
Card Games: Same as above
Trading Card Games: World of Warcraft TCG
Miniatures: World of Warcraft CMG and Monsterpocalypse
Video: Pick a platform, I probably have 2-3 titles.

Social Networks Sites
My most notable presence is on Facebook (G. Dustin Snyder). I have a MySpace page as well, but I've abandoned it.

In addition to those sites, I also have lots of experience with forums. I've run several of my own forums, been a moderator/administrator for ezboard forums for my EverQuest Guild. I currently operate the forums for my FLGS, and have been a volunteer member of the support team for TeamSpeak software in their forums as well.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Atmpalazzo's Application

I started playing Magic: the Gathering some time around May of 2006. I was in a very scrubby circle, so I went to these forums to in July of 06 in order to properly learn the rules and examine the finer aspects of crushing people with cardboard. Trying my best to shed off my scrub skin, I took shelter under the wings of a long gone member. I began my path becoming a pillar of the community by IMing former WizO, KwaiChang about 10 times by mistake. At this point it was the summer of 07 and I had earned a name for myself as a sincere and diligent member. With the help of KC, I became a candidate for forum lead, eventually being chosen. It was then that the community as a whole accepted me for listening to their suggestions and concerns. Then I met the greatest poster ever Zammm, the VCL for my area of expertise. Around my 18th birthday I was approached by Zammm for a position of Forum Guide for my hard work with the community. After a few months of this, I was told of the position of VCL for my area of expertise. I applied, and got the job.

My biggest accomplishment is definitely working with one of the Community Outreach Managers at the time (I think it was Mike) in dividing the standard forums into two distinct sections based on an idea of Kedi, another member. With him and Zammm, we managed to make the forums clearer to readers. We also managed this for extended.
Other accomplishments include creating a thread where posters can request graphics for threads and working with Zammm on a super secret project for the "You make the card" section.

I feel that while there is room for improvement, this has become a small issue. At first when the WizOs were taken away from individual areas it was tough because it felt like that those in power were now robotic. I now feel however, that community management has stepped up as a group that you can talk to about problems.

There are probably two major types of members on these boards, newbies and veterans. I think that for the newbies more clarity of the rules would help them (I don't really mean the CoC, but individual forum rules) and cause them to be less intimidated by the veterans. Increasing the severity of baiting/flaming someone would also probably make the forums more newbie friendly. As for veterans, having a tougher enforcement of the rules of an individual forum. Many veterans are annoyed because they feel some newbies get away with breaking the rules because they are new to the community.

Magic: the Gathering

When a company in this economy shells out so much product for their VCLs, who can't have have a positive attitude

I keep up on the top decks column and event coverage (except for podcasts)

I love science labs because you get to work as a team.

I've suggested several.

Not so good here, but I can solve the issues when I am informed of them.

I took high school statistics, and have regularly tested decks out to see what works and what doesn't

Zammm and I do this regularly

I have Asperger's Syndrome, so I can fail here.

I take order well from anyone other than my mother.

I can do that

I'm well liked by the community for my efforts for the community. I also have done the job before

I have been to a PTQ and a regional tournament.

I have some experience here. I play M:tG online
2:25 PM sneakattackkid: my basics are worth more... 5:21 PM Nighthavk_: I was splitting more 8-4s than a hooker splits her legs. 11:42 PM Nighthavk_: because honestly, your opponent may be caw, but he'll probably be a drooling idiot who just found out porn exists.
Please consider this my application to stay on for another stint as VCL for Magic: Online.

Thanks.
Batteries not included.
Please consider this my application to stay on for another stint as VCL for Magic: Online.

Thanks.

Same here. My application is on file in the previous thread.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I am available to continue as the DDM VCL - as in the past I'm flexible if there are any other areas in particular that need attention*. Given my previous application is a bit dated at this point and almost everyone I knew well (Solice, G0, JoT, even RandyB) has gone on to other pursuits, I can cheerfully refill an application if desired.

* Just be careful - while I've been happy enough about the state of the areas I've worked on, I may inexplicably be the kiss of death for successfully earning products (Gleemax Blogs, Games, Digital Entertainment, D&D Miniatures, etc)
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Reposting a slightly modified application to continue as the D&D SVCL.

I am over 18 years old.

I've been a member of the community since 1996, a moderator since 1997, RPG chat lead, RPG boards lead, and currently part of customer service for WotC. During that time, I've been involved in numerous community building initiatives including, but not limited to:

Creating and setting up the Gamemaster program.
Creating and setting up the Scribes program.
Assisted in writing and updating various guides and handbooks
Created and executed various UnCon events.
Assisted others in executing UnCon events.
Wrote articles published in Knowledge Arcana, the community digital magazine.
Host of the Monster Lab in RPG Live.
Collected various threads throughout the community and submitted them to WotC for review.
Former and current Adept for Magic Online.
Signed up numerous people for Gleemax and DDI at Gen Con
Awarded custom avatars and assigned custom titles
Ran a Dragonlance campaign in the chat rooms
Created D&D Debates on the message boards
Created Regdar’s Repository. (Conceptualized, proposed and moderated it.)
Posted “Doxxie’s Dicebox”- essentially a blog years before there were “blogs”.
Worked with the best moderation staff on the Internet, the WizOs.

I bring to the table my experience in community building for 12 years. My main concentration has been on the D&D brand between the chat room and the RPG boards. I’ve played D&D since 1983 and continue to do so to this day. I do enjoy MMORPGs, including World of Warcraft and Guild Wars. I’ve been playing console video games long before many members of the community were even born, a fact that makes me feel old sometimes.

In addition as VCL for the D&D area I have been reducing flaming edition wars, assisted in restoring the other worlds area, kept up with housekeeping within a 48 hour window, as well as advice and assist other VCLs.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
I have updated my application in the hopes of being taken back as VCL for the SW rpg area this month.

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Please consider this my application for continuing my duties as the VCL of the Star Wars Message Boards.

My information can be found in the fourth post of this thread.

Thank you.

CLICK ON THE ICONS TO GET MORE INFORMATION

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Lylac's Application

Name:Joe "Lylac" Indelicato
I've been posting since 04-16-07, and playing M:TG since summer of 95. I started to do some serious posting about M:TG about a year ago after I had made friends here, and soon enough became pretty popular through the years. Recently i've become great friends with Atmapalazzo and he suggested that I try out for VCL. Since then he has decided to step down from VCL and recommended that I take his place.

I have posted in the D&D forums when I was new to the website. Not much anywhere else.

I'm not really sure that this is a problem any more. A few times I have had to contact WoTc and it was a smooth process.

I find that newer posters of the M:TG forums find themselves overwhelmed because of the veteran posters. A lot of members of the forums seem to flame or disrespect these new posters mainly because of their little knowledge of either the game or because they are just new to the forums.

I indeed have this. I love to help out new players and anyone of need in a positive manner.

I have been playing since summer 95 and go to a lot of ptqs/GPs.

I have no problem working with others unless they are incompetent and disrespectful to the rest of the team.

I have done this, and I am not afraid to.

I can do this but am not really familiar with the subject.

I'm sure I'm capable of doing this if it was mandatory. A little explanation wouldn't hurt.

I have discussed things like this with Atmapalazzo many a time.

I'm able to do this. I do, however, have trouble helping people that won't listen or reason with me.

I take constructive criticism really well and have no problem listening to my superiors.

People on the forums like me and I am able to do whatever i'm told to do in a well thought out manner. Also, I have years of experience with M:TG at high REL situations. Along with that, I have been part of the community for a few years and have been helping with deck building since then.

Like I have said, I have been to many ptqs and I know what it takes to compete at high level M:TG tournaments.

• List of the games you play
M:TG
Ps3
I post on a lot of gaming sites frequently.

'Lylac
NO LOTUS MUTHA ****IN' SHOPS BURN'T DOWN THE MUTHA ****IN' GENCON
I'd like to apply for the position of VCL for the General Gaming area of the forums. My application details are below.

All VCL candidates must be 18 years of age or older.

Physically, I'm 38 years old. My wife is likely to tell you that mentally, I'm much younger.

I've been a member of the community since August 2001. I came to the forums initially to try and find information about the character generator software that came in the back of the 3e PHB. At the time, I had never been on a message board before, and I was fascinated with all the discussions. D&D General, in particular, grabbed my attention. I started reading, then found that people were asking questions I knew the answers to. So I started posting. And you've been stuck with me ever since.

My sense of humor got me into a bit of trouble early on. While I never garnered an official warning, I did receive "unofficial" warnings for posting off-topic spam. Thankfully, I found the Castle of Fun, which gave me an outlet for my sense of humor and I place where I could goof around without derailing discussion threads.

In 2003 (I think) I applied for an open position for Gamemaster on the Castle of Fun, and was selected from among four or five candidates. I've held that position ever since. Since early this year, I've worked as a Forum Guide in the play-by-post area, filling a sort of "lead GM" role.

In addition, there were several years where I worked for Melanie Creel (the former Community Manager) as a "GenCon Reporter." The job was basically blogging before blogging was popular, with updates regularly from GenCon, reporting news from various sessions, stories of what was going on, and so on.

In my almost eight years on the forum, I've never received any official disciplinary actions. As previously mentioned, I have received "soft" warns in the past, back when I was new. In addition, and in the interests of full disclosure, I had some pretty hot-tempered disagreements in this very forum with the former community manager.

I believe there's room for improvement, most certainly. In the past, moderation was handled with WizOs assigned to specific forums. This was a real boon for the various play-by-post communities, because it allowed a specific moderator or two to get to know us and our area, and respond specifically to our needs. I think a lot of good things came about when the moderation was switched from specific forums to 24/7 all around coverage, but one problem it created was that the play-by-post areas seem to be suffering a bit.

Gamemasters are permitted - and even encouraged - to create forum rules to help facilitate their games, as long as these additional rules do not run counter to the CoC. In the past, we could count on our WizOs to help enforce those rules; this is gone now, and Gamemasters are left with what amounts to empty threats. During my stint as Forum Guide, we implemented a few changes that have helped. I would very much like to continue this improved communication between GMs and Customer Service, and even extend it further.

I think the play-by-post area of the community is, currently, under-utilized. Generally speaking, the area is already fun and welcoming and just needs a bit of "publicity" to help increase the traffic.

Work has been started to create a "Welcome Center" forum for the play-by-post region, providing new players a chance to browse through threads that provide more complete descriptions of the various forums than the blurbs in the forum list. This is just one step, in my opinion, to building the area.

This application is for the "General Gaming" section of the forums, which includes the play-by-post forums, the creative corner forums (art, writing, world-building), the rec-room, and the General Gaming Discussion forum.

Again in the interests of full disclosure... I was a very vocal critic of Gleemax, particularly the way it was implemented. While I thought the concept - a place for all gamers - was a cool idea, I saw mistakes (in my opinion of course) in the path taken to implement the idea, and had no problems voicing those opinions.

While it probably wasn't clear during my heated arguments with a previous community manager, my goal was always to make this place the best community it could be. I've always found the breadth and depth of this community to be astounding. (actually, I've always viewed these forums as several communities, and I don't think I'm alone in that assessment.)

I'm extremely familiar with the entire Gamemaster staff, and have a basic understanding of each of their forums. I spend some time in other areas of the General Gaming section, including the General Gaming Discussion forum and the Rec Room.

I think my time as Gamemaster and Forum Lead have demonstrated this.

Several years ago, I proposed the creation of a GM-only forum, which was created by WizO_Paradox after many follow-up messages from me. That forum is now a hub for GM activity, where Gamemasters can seek advice from their peers and plan events, improving the overall quality of the play-by-post forums.

I also pushed, hard, for re-enabling GM tools to facilitate our ability to run our forums. Several years ago when the forum software switched from uBB to vB, GMs lost many of the tools they had at their disposal, and we instead had to lean heavily on our WizO to do basic forum maintenance. I worked closely with WizO_Paradox to test the tools that were implemented, to ensure there were no unforeseen side effects of giving us the tool set.

In my time as Forum Guide, I've revised the GM Handbook, restarted training sessions for new GMs, and had a strong hand in helping to correct some game-related issues in the Gleemax Roleplaying forum. I have other ideas that I think can be developed to further build the area.

I worked with the current VCL in the area to identify play-by-post forums with absentee GMs, creating forums without leadership. With significant help from other GMs, replacement GMs were hired for these forums.

Overall, the area has few problems and those that do exist are often caught by a GM before they have a chance to snowball into something worse.

My "day job" is as a computer programmer/analyst. This sort of activity is a regular part of my daily work.

I like to think I'm well-spoken and polite, and can handle these sorts of interactions well.

Yes, on both of these.

To summarize what's above... I've been an active participant in the area of application since 2002 or so, and an active leader in the section since 2003. I've always been an advocate for the Gamemasters, and earlier this year, I took on a larger role in the area to help ensure GMs continued to receive the support and tools they need. I'm passionate about the play-by-post forums, and believe they provide a wonderful tool to WotC as well as the community, and I would very much like to continue to lead in that area.

See above.

Assuming you're interested in the Wizards of the Coast games I play: I currently DM a 3.5 campaign with friends at home. In addition, I play in a 4e play-by-post game in the Real Adventures section of the General Gaming forum, and will soon be starting up as a player in a 3.5 Eberron game in the same area. In addition, as a freelance writer and editor, I'm very active in the creation of new material for the 3.5 system with several different publishers.

I've played d20 Modern in the past and very much enjoy the game, though I don't have much opportunity to play.

While I'm honestly not sure what social networking has to do with the application, I'm active on Facebook as well as several other forum communities on the internet that are dedicated to gaming, including the forums at Kobold Quarterly's site and Giant in the Playground's site, among others.
John Ling Freelance Writer/Editor PM for availability VCL for General Gaming and play-by-post groups
Hello:

Id have read the commitments that are required and respectfully put my name in consideration for the VCL position. I am either the Administrator and or Moderator on these forums:

All as Imperious Leader
Axis and Allies.org
The wargame.com
IMP games.com
aaclubdk.dk

Also I post at these:

Harris Game Design
Board Game Geek

The only question i had issue with was the respect for AH, but in view that i can make the changes i know would make an immediate impact, i feel that the opportunity would prove positive to any concerns i might have.

If i am not to be considered the next VCL MUST BE from somebody who does not play fantasy games and who actually enjoys playing the Axis and Allies Boardgames as his primary games and please nobody else should even be considered for this job. People have waited too long for somebody who understands our needs.
I'd like to apply for a Volunteer Community Lead position in the Area of the the Avalon Hill brand.

About my person:

I am 42, married, 2 children (boy - 9, girl - 6). I work for the Austrian government.

I am an avid gamer for as long as I can think. My favourite games include (but are not limited too)

Settlers of Catan (whole line)
Ticket to Ride (Europe, Switzerland, Card game)
Napoleon in Europe
Munchkin
Axis and Allies (currently Anniversary Edition, Europe, Pacific and Guadalcanal)
Axis and Allies Miniatures / War at Sea
Power grid (don't know the english title)
Formule De
Puerto Rico
Midgard (FRPG - German)
Hackmaster
Junta

My other favourite hobby (aside gaming) is reading (SF/Fantasy/Crime/History).

Why do I want this position?

I feel the old AH-Community crumbled away with the transition to GLEEMAX and needs a revival. I also think that the contact beteween WOTC/AH could be improved and I think I can help to achieve that goal.

Why do I think I can contribute/am qualified?

I have played Axis and Allies games for about 20 years and I am also playing AAMinis/WAS from the start. I have helped a bit in the revision of AAM and am an actice part in the AH community since (its been a few years now ;)). I also have experience in debates (its part of my job to attend meetings and take up positions that are not my personal - courtesy is required - keep polite, but firm to your position).

I have played a few other WotC/AH-games (e.g. Diplomacy, D&D - original, 3E, Magic - stopped not long after Ice Age ;)), but not extensively.

What might pose a problem?

I live in Austria - I might be online at odd hours for Americans, but that could help to hold contact to European members.
I am not a native English speaker.
Sometimes I became very vocal and angry about WOTC/AH, but I think I can draw a line between private and corporate opinion (see above).
I consider myself a Trekki...

Regards
Richter von Manthofen

(BTW that screen name is a reference to Air Gnomes of the old D&D game acessory PC-1)
...,... and Rock'n Roll - but Minis are fun too...
I'd like to apply for VCL of the Magic: the Gathering Future Set Speculation forum.

I'm 23, single, and I go to college. Right now I'm on summer break but once I return to school I can still do my duties as a VCL.

I've played many a game, one of the first being Magic: The Gathering. After my friend with the cards moved away, I moved onto other games, such as Yu-Gi-Oh! and Overpower in the card game genre. I also became an avid fan of the Zelda series, as well as Final Fantasy. I don't think there is an RPG that has been released in America that I have not played if I owned the system on which it could be played.

I recently (if you count 2 and a half years ago as recently) returned to Magic when some friends of mine at school asked me if I played Magic at all. Since then, I've gotten a bit more serious about the game than the first time I played.

I want this position because, a few months ago, I first became interested in helping Zammm out on the Magic forums because I'd just seen someone badmouth Zammm for seeming to be biased against certain things as a result of a human error and the inability to, by oneself, catch everything wrong. I asked him then how to go about it, but he said there were no positions; now that one is open, I'd like to help him.

I feel I'm qualified for it because, despite a couple of bad-mouthing incidents recently (which have not been my norm for a long time), I am actually quite capable of working with others, and being polite, and helping to keep the forums in check. I've tried to do so with simple reminders, but I couldn't do much other than say something at the time. I'd like to be able in helping to keep duplicate threads down to a minimum, and keep the appropriate thread titles on threads so that no confusion comes about. I'm on the forums all the time, so I would be able to catch duplicates and fix thread titles and keep spam down quickly.

I've been going to the FSS forum for quite a while now, so I feel confident that I know the procedures there well enough to be a VCL for that forum, especially because of how frequently I go.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

I'd like to apply for VCL of the Magic: the Gathering Future Set Speculation forum.

I'm 21, engaged, and currently attending college. I usually spend nights up on the forums regardless, so work & school will not be a problem.

I've been playing Magic: the Gathering since the release of Nemesis, though I started collecting when Urza's Legacy had been released. Since then, I've been playing nonstop with only a single break, during Time Spiral block, which was mostly due to a temporary tightening of budget. I started up again a bit during Lorwyn / Shadowmoor block, and returned to full stride with Shards of Alara.

I'm interested in this position because of my dedication to the Future Set Speculation board, constantly looking for new cards to be spoiled / leaked, and always actively seeking positive ways to discuss the newest set. I've never once been able to tolerate anything negative being said about Wizards of the Coast. Even when they make decisions I may not necessarily agree with, I understand that they've been working on Magic cards since 1993, and know a lot more in regards to what they're doing than I do, and am willing to defend them to the bitter end.

I believe that I am qualified because of my passion for the game, my experience working with others in the real world (as a customer service representative), as well as the massive amount of time I spend discussing cards on the board. I've been posting on FSS for quite some time, and feel I can do a good job of eliminating unneeded threads, deleting harmful posts, as well as continuing to post new ICDs for spoiled and leaked cards as I find them.

Lylac's Application

Name:Joe "Lylac" Indelicato
Magic The Gathering Deck Critique
I've been posting since 04-16-07, and playing M:TG since summer of 95. I started to do some serious posting about M:TG about a year ago after I had made friends here, and soon enough became pretty popular through the years. Recently i've become great friends with Atmapalazzo and he suggested that I try out for VCL. Since then he has decided to step down from VCL and recommended that I take his place.

I have posted in the D&D forums when I was new to the website. Not much anywhere else.

I'm not really sure that this is a problem any more. A few times I have had to contact WoTc and it was a smooth process.

I find that newer posters of the M:TG forums find themselves overwhelmed because of the veteran posters. A lot of members of the forums seem to flame or disrespect these new posters mainly because of their little knowledge of either the game or because they are just new to the forums.

I indeed have this. I love to help out new players and anyone of need in a positive manner.

I have been playing since summer 95 and go to a lot of ptqs/GPs.

I have no problem working with others unless they are incompetent and disrespectful to the rest of the team.

I have done this, and I am not afraid to.

I can do this but am not really familiar with the subject.

I'm sure I'm capable of doing this if it was mandatory. A little explanation wouldn't hurt.

I have discussed things like this with Atmapalazzo many a time.

I'm able to do this. I do, however, have trouble helping people that won't listen or reason with me.

I take constructive criticism really well and have no problem listening to my superiors.

People on the forums like me and I am able to do whatever i'm told to do in a well thought out manner. Also, I have years of experience with M:TG at high REL situations. Along with that, I have been part of the community for a few years and have been helping with deck building since then.

Like I have said, I have been to many ptqs and I know what it takes to compete at high level M:TG tournaments.

• List of the games you play
M:TG
Ps3
I post on a lot of gaming sites frequently.

'Lylac
NO LOTUS MUTHA ****IN' SHOPS BURN'T DOWN THE MUTHA ****IN' GENCON
Application "CageOfPanacakes"

Name: Benjamin "CageofPanacakes" Rude
Applying for - Deck Critique: Sanctioned Tournament VCL (and anything else that needs doing)

Been a member of the Wizards community since 2004, for a while I was not as serious about the game I posted in random threads made a few rogue decks nothing amazing, but I have been around for quite some time and have always made this community one of my top priorities when I am online.

Now I am on the forums every day, and while I do not post as much I am always reading and always voicing my opinion if I think its needed.

(Just a note, I have been around these boards for quite some time, sometime way before 2004 I had other accounts but I mostly came to read, it was when I made my CageOfPanacakes account that I began posting and so forth. I was asked to put in an application by Atma once his resignation was official.)

I have hosted a few tournaments on the standard forums and participated in multiple others, one netting me my custom avatar during UnCon. Also I have been posting in Gleemax RP and recently took a minor seat of power to help with handling rules disputes.

Also have been active in the general forum when I have a feeling to go over and I constantly post in different forums.

At the moment I am quite pleased with how Wizards and the community have been. Although I believe work with the ORC's need to be done because in some instances they just are not there on a personal level to deal with some problems. They do a minor fix and then leave, and never anything but a already generated post.

I have came across the problem many times that I have been posting over in Gleemax RP, and it leave a bad taste in my mouth each time I see it.

Currently, I like the way Wizards has been building its fan base. The website has articles updating regularly. New people are posting on the boards every day and finding things that they enjoy in the community. Its very "noobie" friendly so to speak. Forums are kept clean, swapping out threads when need be and it just seems like not much needs to be improved.

Also Wizards does run commercials every now and then while releasing new products to help bring in new customers (Duel of the planeswalkers for the 360 to name one). This is a great community and it only continues to grow.

My current expertise is Magic the gathering. While I do not have a shop near my home anymore to currently play paper magic. I still come here to stay updated and to post new ideas and get opinions on the current metagame and whats powerful. I have been playing magic since mercadian masques and shortly afterwords I began drafting. Once Torment was released I began playing constructed and eventually found myself here.

As stated above I also play in tournaments on the forum to enjoy myself and to have some fun.

I also play casual DnD with a group of friends when they are home from college. Also I work for gamestop and I am involved with trying many new games to help my sales so I generally know whats new and so forth.

I enjoy munchkins, apples to apples. I used to play mageknight for a bit, and when I was younger I did play Pokemon (Was the thing when I was in elementary).

To be honest I have played a great many things and I always come back to Magic as the only card game I have ever taken serious. Everything else is just a casual thing.

Never had anything seriously bad about WoTC and I love the products they produce. They have had my support for quite some time.

I have been playing magic for quite some time and I am and have been active for quite in the standard forum (Where I am applying for VCL) and have made many ties to the community in the specified area.

Addressing a chunk at once.

I have been an active part of the community for quite some time and active in many different area of the boards. Currently I am a Justicar over in the Gleemax RP forum. The definition for what I do over there is the following.

Justicar
The Council of Justicars is an OOC organization for Gleemax Roleplaying whose purpose is to enforce and clarify any rules that may occur during roleplaying. We also act as judges and arbiters to any fights/conflicts that may occur.

To become a Justicar I was nominated by the community to be a rules enforcer and uphold ideas and maintain the RP in the community. Its not a fun job, no matter what the ruling someone is always mad at you. Its a demanding position but one I love having. While its not the most glamorous job it demands alot of qualities of me that this position over here requires. Essentially everything up above minus the collecting data and logs (Which I assure you I can do without a problem).

Also recently I applied to become a GM for the Gleemax forums, but while I had the right attitude to take up the position I was passed over for somebody who had more experience on those forum in question. I personally want to aspire to GM a forum one day as a personal goal, because I do like giving back to the community and I do not have any problems helping out.

Now I am sorry I rambled on about that, but the point I am trying to make is. I am a competent Hard working poster who likes giving back to the community. I assure you that I would not cause problems or bring shame upon the position and do the duties asked of me without a problem. I have no problem talking with other posters or the people who manage my position. I never put anyone on ignore or hold a personal grudge, and if somebody corrects me in an area that I have faulted I instantly change my opinion to go with the proper one.

I am willing and more then capable to uphold the VCL name and to do the job given to me properly if I am chosen as the person to take over Atmapalazzo position. As said before I like helping out and would be active and also courteous to everyone I come across. I have experience in the area and have been active in the community for quite some time so I dont think you would go wrong with picking me for this position if thats what you choose.

Magic the Gathering
DnD
Warcraft 3
Starcraft
Diablo
Street fighter (4, 3rd strike, Capcom vs SNK2. Fighting games are my another one of my main hobbies)
Other random fighting games.

These boards are my main experience with social networking sites, while I have been apart of other no other sites have really gotten my attention.

Thank you for reading over my application and if you have any questions for me please feel free to send me PM.

Sincerely,
Benjamin Rude
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
My name is Will Woods age 18 from the UK.

Have been on the forums mainly viewing future set speculation and standard forums for MTG and have been playing MTG since 2005.

have recently been posting on the you make the card, standard and future set speculation forums, not so interested in others and only look at MTG forums.

I think M10 could have been better explained on the rule changes and some of the near functional reprints, both of these have upset many players, though some players do like it. I think the main reason there was such an uproar on the rules change was because 1. no one saw it coming 2. the reasons for change on combat rules were a bit sketchy 3. people are unsure about how the change in rules will influence the game Wizards needs to go more in depth. some functional reprints players feel are unnecessary Runeclaw Bears is a good example of this, wizards needs to be open about the reasons they did this and maybe admit they made mistakes, this will help ease the magic communities feelings towards Wizards.

Stop noob bashing, it seems like some people may be scared to post for fear of being criticized by people they feel are their peers, send messages to repeat offenders asking them to work on this.

Magic The Gathering

Wizards are the producer of my favorite games D&D and MTG, i play both on a regular bases with friends and i read the articles on the magic part of Wizards nearly every day, i do not like all that Wizards have done with M10 and 4th edition D&D but will accept them and this will not stop me playing either game.

have a memory of most cards i have ever seen in a game i have played, knowledge of nearly every rule, play on a regular basis at casual, FNM and PTQ level events, am a Johnny player and can see good card match ups.

enjoy working with people, not a leader but full of ideas though still willing to listen to others ideas too.

have many different ideas and know how to perform primary and secondary research to test ideas.

Good at noticing negative prospects and repercussions, good at finding compromises and explaining viewpoints, not scared to meet opposing viewpoints and will not resort to petty insults

knowledge of ways to cumulate data into readable statistics, knowledge of software usable for this purpose.

Can see things from different viewpoints, always sceptical to new changes or things which i do not think are right but will always give them a chance, will not act rashly, will always test things from a different viewpoint .

never on purposely offensive, respect other viewpoints, always friendly and respectful and will always make out possible problems or things missed without being patronizing.

will act as needed by the team, not big headed, will take orders and cam work in a necessary way.

determination to fulfill projects and a creative, alternately thinking mind and will not give up if suffer setback, always positive in myself and towards others and offer compliments and reassurance to combat negativeness in other people.

I am a fair person and will not act without reason or rashly, am respectful to others even if they are not to me, am not big headed or hot tempered and can always stay calm. I can be good at solving disputes and will always look at the other side of an argument, I love MTG and want nothing but the best, I love working in teams and will not let anyone get cut out of discussion and will always encourage others.

Have been on a few forums, know Dreamweaver, Indesign, Illustrator and Excel have played game for years and can play competetively in many levels of tournament, notable experience at limited.

MTG, D&D, football computer strategy games. I have used a few social network sites but only use a couple regularly, usially make many friends and have a laugh.
:D
There have been several applications that don't specify for which VCL position they are applying.
Name: No reason to share this yet, but if I gain the position and I need to, I will provide this information. Jsut call me Mono789 for now. ;)

Age Requirement: I'm 18; it be true.

Position Applying For: Deck Critique: Sanctioned Formats on the Magic forums

Past history as a member/poster on the forums: I have been a part of the forums for a couple months more than two years, and I have been an active poster throughout the vast majority of that time. Recently, I obtained the status of Scribe for my work revamping Rush Clasic's original sticky thread in the Limited forums, and that guide has been received with much praise. I actively post in the Standard forums, offering up a comment here and there, and occasionally posting a deck idea.

Opinion on communication with Wizards of the Coast: I think the VCL program is a great way to be engrossed in the community, and VCLs serve the highly important purpose of being the connection between the community and higher level management. Though I do feel that the communication with ORCs could be better, I do feel like they do an effective job at adressing the needs of the community.

How to help build the Wizards Community: In order for the forums to grow, members should tell friends who are interested in a Wizards product to join the forums and discuss their product of choice. I believe that a good forum member is one who maintains a positive attitude towards other posters and provides insightful comments, and the more the VCL program sets this example, the more posters are likely to follow this ideal.

Area of focus: Magic: the Gathering

Positive Attitude Towards Wizards of the Coast: Like most peopleon the forums, I analyze the pros and cons of each of their marketing decisions. While I don't necessarily agree with all of their decisions towards Magic: The Gathering, I still wholeheartedly support their endeavors and hope they turn out well. It would take something huge to push me to dislike WotC.

Detailed knowledge in my area of focus: I don't claim to be an amazing tournament player (decks cost lots of money), but I constantly follow the tournament scene for magic, mostly for Standard, Limited, and Extended (somewhat). I know the archetypes and why they use the cards that they do, and I understand why certain decks fall out of favor.

Ability to be a Team Player: Four words: Boy Scouts of America. I became an Eagle Scout in that program, and through it, I have had to lead and work with others (even if they bugged the crap out of me). That program was all about working together, so I know that I have this capability.

Ability to create proposals for community building initiatives: As I mentioned earlier, I became a Scribe for maintaining my sticky on the Limited forum. I know how to communicate with others and gather information on necessary topics.

Ability to identify issues in the community: Being an active poster on the three biggest subforums in the magic forums (Magic General, YMtC, Standard), I recognize common problems in the community. If I spot a problem, I am sure to bring up the issue for discussion.

Ability to handle discussions...in a mature and reasonable manner: Absolutely I can. I talk to a couple of VCLs quite often, those being zammm and Rush_Clasic. I know that I can communicate with VCLs well partially because I know those guys and partially because I can communicate with regular forumgoers effectively.

Ability to handle direction from the Community Management Team: I'm just as good a leader as I am a follower. I follow directions quite well, and I am always sure to follow the instructions of my superiors.

Willingness to work within the spirit of the VCL program: I always make my best effort to stay enthusiastic with others. Surely I would be able to be an effective VCL.

Why I feel I'd be an effective VCL: I work well with others and I very rarely conflict with others. I know the forum well enough to handle the job properly, so I would be able to interact with people on the forums reasonably when they make requests.

Experience in the area that I'm applying in: I've been playing magic for a little over five years now and I've been following the tournament scene since I joined the forums. I don't claim to know the most, as I'm not a super hardcore Spike, but believe me when I say that I know what I'm talking about.

List of games I play and experience with social networking sites: Well, I've played Magic: the Gathering for a while now, but before that, I played Pokemon and a bit of Yu-Gi-Oh. I play a sufficient amount of Nintendo consoles (Nintendo DS and Wii for the win). I used to run a Pokemon-based website and forums, but abandoned it when I lost interest in the game.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

1/7/2009

FSS & Deck Critique VCL Application

Name: Anthony Chang
Desired VCL Position: FSS, Deck Critique

I have been a contributing member of this forum since November 2006, taking a brief hiatus somewhere around 2007-2008, and I have returned to an active status in the fall of 2008. Where once my contributions to this forum were sometimes lackluster and even surly, I know that my forum contributions have recently (in the area of the last several months) been the most consistently beneficial and I certainly endeavor to maintain this sort of behavior.

My only membership on the various Wizards forums has been with the Magic: the Gathering forums as detailed in the aforementioned response.

I feel that there is a distinct lack of transparency on the way things are run in the forums. Too often threads are closed and or posts deleted, yet there is no specific infraction listed as the reason for the moderation. Citing the specific complaints responsible for moderation allows forum members to be well aware of what constitutes an offense as well as helps develop a relationship between the forum members and the staff based on trust and respect rather than fear.

A glaring hole in the amenities the forum is able to provide to gamers, especially the newer members, is that too often noncompetitive decks perfunctorily told to be reposted in more casual subforums for critique go unnoticed. While there is certainly no promise made to any individual of guaranteed attention to his or her postings, I feel that even a single reply to a person's deck or post is enough attention that an individual would consider his or her time here to be worthwhile and, given enough time, that that person may even consider becoming a contributing member of these forums.

Fixing this can be easily done by recruiting certain Forum Guides whose blanket responsibilities includes specific attention to those posts who have no responses.

My area of focus is Magic: the Gathering.

I feel that I would be an effective VCL because I am a detail-oriented individual that needs to produce excellent work to feel fulfilled. I am able to both delegate and be delegated tasks and to be a dependable team worker and a mediator between strained team members. I prefer to avoid conflict for the sake of conflict and will not budge on that which I feel is right and that which has been dictated to me as the laws and regulations to which I should adhere.

I am an avid attendant of all things related to new sets, often checking the site multiple times each day to see whether any new juicy cards are going to see print.

I also often help out individuals in the Casual forum, making it a point to aid those who have no replies in their threads.

MtG - strictly casual player since late 2006 to late 2007; competitive during late 2008; once again casual play since 2009
DnD - played during the summer of 2008 and this summer of 2009
Facebook - member since early high school, Sophomore at the latest
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump

Xero_2285's Application for a Legacy forums VCL position

Name: Lloyd

I have been playing Magic for 11 years and have been a member of these forums since 4-17-2007. In 2007 through 2008 I spent my time on this site on the standard forums. I grew out of standard and went back to my Legacy roots in July 2008 and now I play Legacy only.

I don't think there is a problem with the communication between Wizards and the community, but it is lacking. Wizards is always trying to reach out and comprehend what the community wants. It becomes up to the community, weather or not they wish to express what they are thinking to Wizards or even care. Some people just drone around these forums looking for decks and leave when they don't find them, not actually caring about the state of the site or giving feedback.

In order to improve the communication though the community needs to be more involved with itself. We need people to want to come to the site for the quality of information that is given. Tournaments, contests, free stuff, can all pull people together, starts conversations, and bring people back to the site to see what's going on. Thus increasing communication between the community and Wizards.

The Legacy forums have had a Deck to Beat section for a long time now but are lacking in the fact that the Legacy forums have no Deck to Watch or a Developing Competitive section. A place to put the threads that are created by the community. As it stands now the Legacy community really doesn't want to write threads for decks if they can't be given a home, if it sits on the front page for too long they fall into obscurity never to be seen again. With the inclusion of these sections more community members will want to make more threads and the community as a whole will benefit from this. Plus the fact that doing this will also keep bringing people back to this site who normally go to other sites for their information.

As I said, I have been playing Magic for 11 years. A lot of my time was spent in Standard and Casual at home. For he last 2-3 years I have been playing very little Standard and made the full switch to Legacy only. I played a little D&D when I was kid back in High School but not anymore.

I have always stood by what Wizards does, I agree with their decisions and changes as of late. I think I can honestly say that I have never had harsh words towards Wizards.

I have made posts where I thought they we're necessary in order to help push the process along or provide my insight on a matter to better help the community to make decisions.

I have addressed my issues about the lack of threads, guidance, and communication between community members on the Legacy forums.

I play Magic, testing and collecting information is what I do best.

I love getting into discussions with people and hearing all their ideas on what cards they are playing, the strategy their deck is working on and it's over all goal. Also, being able to express my play tactics and have the community tell me what I need to work on is really helpful.

I want to help out with this community so if they tell me to do something, it will be done.

I will always be trying to think of new ways to make the Legacy forums better than they are now.

I actually care about the Legacy community and want to see it thrive because this is the only format I choose to play.

I have to honestly say that I have not held a position such as this before but have extensive knowledge about the Legacy meta, great customer service skills, and have the initiative to try and get things done.

Magic: The Gathering, D&D long ago, Dragonball Z RPG long ago, Dragonball Z TCG, Pokemon TCG long ago, Diablo and Diablo 2, Fight Night, Madden, Shadow of the Colossus, Mobsters. I have over 2500+ friends on myspace and chat with almost all regularly, starting to dabble a little bit on Facebook, I spend time on TheSource, MTGSalvation, Starcitygames, and a little time on TCGPlayer.
I play Legacy only, and a little EDH. 2009 UGr Dreadstill 1st place KC Legacy Nationals UGR Tempo Thresh ***th place GP Chicago BUG Vial Affinity Petal Powered Ichorid EDH MonoU Arcum'sLattice I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I throw my support behind metallix87 for the FSS VCL Position, and behind CageofPanacakes as the Deck Critique VCL. (for whatever that's worth :P)
Name: PitLorKuro
Position: Anything to help out.

Its this simple. People can post all of their qualifications. Each person listed here might even have some expertise in running a forum, but I have experiences in promoting, building, and running full websites. I'm currently running three sites right now (and getting paid for it), so I can understand the importance of what these jobs represent. When it comes to details, research, and rules, I graduated college with a magna *** laude grade point average. I'm a setback-easy going person who likes to have fun. If you are inrested in finding out more, please feel free to send me a private message. I think it would be fun to volunteer my time. :D
I'd like to apply for the recently vacated position in the magic area formerly held by atmapalazzo.

I'm incredibly passionate about magic and deckbuilding in particular, and while passion isn't always a good thing, I love this game, and I love this community. I think that there are a lot of issues with the game that need serious discussion, but I think that the community is doing pretty well, considering everything we've been through the past few years.

I've been an avid player since 2001 and an avid poster since 2005 in all of the magic sanctioned tourney areas (some more than others.)

I've played the star wars rpg and dnd a bit, but magic is my baby, and the only game I've ever really stuck with. I was addicted to myspace for quite a while, but I think I kicked that finally. I also founded and ran a forum for a while that is now dead due to a number of factors, primarily familial issues.

I can also provide any other info that would be needed, including references from past and present wotc employees, community members, players, and writers.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

Why you feel you'd be an effective Volunteer Community Lead
I am an advocate for D&D first in foremost. While some may consider this application a means of becoming a "Yes Man", I view it as an opportunity to assist the community by any means necessary and within the scope of my duties.

Your experience in the area of the position for which you are applying
I am an IT project manager by day and a freelance game designer for WotC by night. I also have a vast amount of experience with vBulletin development (the platform these forums are using) and manage several high profile (non D&D) sites. As well, my own person site uses vB.

List of the games you play and your experience with social networking sites

Hmmph, this is a large list you are asking for. I am an administrator (or at the least a moderator) on a whole slew of RPG websites and gaming communities that endorse our beloved hobby of tabletop role-playing. In addition, I have been at this hobby since 1988 when I was a whee little lad.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my application. Although my account says I joined in 2009, I have been apart of this community since Gleemax first took over. Over the years my various names have been lost to the annuls of time ;)
Matt James Freelance Game Designer Loremaster.org

Follow me on Twitter!
I would like to apply for a Volunteer Community Lead position for the Avalon Hill forum.

I just turned 40 last month- I work with people with disabilities where we teach them work related skills.
Home life -have a dog and currently regretting teaching my 76 year old dad war at sea cause lately been getting beat in games by him regularly.

I have been the Good Trade List Keeper on Avalon Hill forums since 2007.
I first joined the Avalon Hill forums when it was on the V Bulletin in 2005.
I am the leader of my local FLGS stores gaming group. We game every thing.
We keep a thread of are group on Gamer Classifieds. In our group we have some fellow forum members. And as some of you know we do regular tournaments .I may at times post the tournaments we do but its a collective work from our group.

Avid gamer-Below is a list of the games i play or have been and actually a lot still involved in.
Axis & Allies Miniatures/War at Sea
Axis & Allies Board games-all versions from the original to the current anniversary edition.
Wings of War-both the WW1 AND ww2 VERSIONS
Great War at Sea
Second World War at Sea
Panzer Blitz/Panzer Leader
Europa Series-Classic monster war games
La Battile Series-Napoleonic era
Fleet Series -6th,2nd,7th,5th,3rd
Gulf Strike/Aegean Strike

I am applying for this position because the forum needs someone who is just all show but of substance. Who knows the forum is still active just needs the spark to kick her back up.

My experiance in being the a possible community lead goes to my running of the gamming events at my FLGS. From planing tornaments to getting prize support . To helping in the crafting of Scenarios to modified house rules.
And dealing with a wide diverse group of people ranging from your crazy mad scientist to the rules lawyer type. And every other type in between.

To answering questions of people intrested in the game giving them information on the game and where to look it up on the web.

hornet69
BINGHAMTON-SYRACUSE ALLIANCE GTL-KEEPER
Oscar
18 years old
Magic: The Gathering; Deck Critique

I have been an avid member of the Magic: The Gathering community since January, 2008. Other than that, I can't say too much without scraping the barrel or being pompous and self-righteous.

As of late, the forums have been running nearly flawlessly. Unlike other forums I frequent, the ORCs get the job done without creating a cowed or hostile community. If I had to nitpick one thing, though, it would sadly be the tech team.

While they have come a long way and pushed the "White Screens of Death" to a nearly mythical frequency, we still have no chat, the smileys still aren't updated, some minor glitches, still missing some skins as I was reminded earlier, etc.

I feel that a more personalized or interactive staff would be nice. Such as allowing ORCs a bit more personal freedom. Not necessarily critiquing a deck or making a YMtC contest page, but something to remind us that they are human. Little quips where appropriate rather than the same robotic message. There is a quote in my signature of such an event occurring if anyone cares to dig through it, by ORC Tao.

Seeing more of the staff itself would be nice, too. Though not exactly top of the list. It just gives me a happy little feeling whenever the staff gives their input on something non-forum upkeep related.

I am dedicated to Magic with all my heart. I have played D&D, but I would by no means call it "expertise" or "focus".

• Positive attitude regarding Wizards of the Coast.

I'll skip the long and rambling story and just give you the end... WotC nearly singlehandedly lead me to where I am today and has kept me happy as a clam and away from a life that surely would have went to drugs.

I would like to think I have extensive knowledge of Casual, Standard, Extended, and Limited (specifically draft). I would like to think I have passable knowledge of Legacy and Vintage. (I love Legacy, but have never had the funds to dive headfirst. And Vintage is surprisingly more common than Standard in my area.) I will admit that I am still learning the ropes of Block, but I am learning and trying to get a better understanding.

I am also a "member" of the YMtC community.

• Ability to be a team player and work well with others.

I was a Boy Scout up until I turned 18, and have stuck with the troop even since. While, sadly, I did not make it to Eagle due to a troop hierarchy among the adult leaders, I was the Senior Patrol Leader of my troop, am still an active member of the OA, and worked at the summer camp.

I have effectively been a leader of my parish youth group for well over a year.

I was a member of my school's FIRST robotics team for 3 years, and popped my head in for this last one (unable to officially be on).

• Ability to create proposals for community building initiatives.

I am taking an active roll in UnCon this year, now that I know what it is. But I am more than willing to do the above and am capable of doing it.

• Ability to identify existing issues in the community that may need to be addressed.

As anyone can, I'm sure I could find some. But every time I do, someone else has already found it as it is generally a blatant problem. I have not gone treasure hunting for problems, but I can if it's required.

• Ability to collect supporting data in the form of logs, tests and other forms.

My OCD tends to have me thrive on this from time to time. I am ready and willing.

• Ability to evaluate proposed changes to identify possible unintended consequences or issues.

This is something I do anyway. It is in fact one of the first things I do (though not only thing I do).

• Ability to handle discussions with players, testers, VCLs, and developers in a mature and reasonable manner.

Flaming never solves a discussion. Once a person starts flaming in a discussion, there can be no victor. There can be a right and wrong, but never a victor once it hits the fire.

• Ability to handle direction from the Community Management team.

Absolutely.

• Willingness to work within the spirit of the VCL program and ability to remain constructive and positive.

I have no problem with this.

I am at least tolerated by enough of the community to not be ignored, I have the hours available to make a difference, and I know enough of the game in a broad spectrum to be placed wherever needed.

• Your experience in the area of the position for which you are applying.

Copy/Paste
I would like to think I have extensive knowledge of Casual, Standard, Extended, and Limited (specifically draft). I would like to think I have passable knowledge of Legacy and Vintage. (I love Legacy, but have never had the funds to dive headfirst. And Vintage is surprisingly more common than Standard in my area.) I will admit that I am still learning the ropes of Block, but I am learning and trying to get a better understanding.

• List of the games you play and your experience with social networking sites.

Sites: (these are just the active ones)
This
Kherkeep
MTGDarkness
MTGSalvation
MTGTheSource

Games:
D&D
Soldat
Starcraft
+Many minor ones

I am a fanatic about board games, also. I used to be a part of a group that just sat down in the local shop, opened a game, and played it then and there.

Edit: I have been playing Magic: The Gathering for nine years.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
After some encouragement I'm posting an application. Try not to laugh.

Position Applying For: Casual Play VCL

Past history as a member/poster on the forums:
I started out posting in the Casual forums and always considered it my 'home-base'. I've posted for over four years there and created two large stickies for the forum already. I've hosted Group-Make-A-Deck and for a while, a Text Duel League.

Opinion on communication with Wizards of the Coast:
With the changeover to gleemax, the moderation was in a state of flux, with a lot of confusion to how things were being run. The system is settling down and improving itself. I believe VCLs now are able to give that personality and humanity that was lost with the prewritten and standardized replies.

How to help build the Wizards Community:
Being a helpful poster, regardless of position, is a very good way to increase the community. The effect is two fold. It gets new members to want to come back, and makes lurkers feel more confident to step out and post.

Area of focus:
Casual Play

Detailed knowledge in my area of focus:
I started playing when Invasion first came out. In my sig, there are two links to my two primers in the forum and both give a good representation of my knowledge of the game.

Ability to be a Team Player:
I've participated in several team activities. Most particularly being sports and music. I've played on mana sports teams, all of which requiring a unit to work as one to best execute.

I've also been in music ensembles that I am very proud of. I've won New England championships, and even posted 2nd at the world championships more than once. I've performed with a few different groups at a NE level, but one group in particular was 28 members, for the world championships.

It was an excruciating amount of practice (as you can imagine), the work was hard, the hours long, and the frustration huge. However we all became great friends and had memories and performances that are indescribable. Among many mantra's for the group, it was always known that 'every part counts'. If anyone slacks off and doesn't pull their weight, everyone suffers. Every part makes or breaks the performance.

Ability to create proposals for community building initiatives:
I've been active in making sure the Casual Play Forums get representation. There are very knowledgeable, recognized, and friendly posters that come from those forums, but the majority of which stay in that section as their own niche. Like I once did. Most recently I've done my best to help with the discussion on how it should be reorganized.

Ability to handle direction from the Community Management Team:
In many things I've participated in, I've been asked to be a leader. Whether that be captain, section leader, student rep, or decider-of-where-to-eat, I've taken a lot of responsibility for others. Because of this, I know full well how frustrating it can be to lead a large group. I respect the kind of effort it takes to move things along, and I always try to do whatever I can to help others when I see them struggling with a leadership role.

Willingness to work within the spirit of the VCL program:
I am an active poster and try to do my best to guide and give help to a range of requests and needs. It is impossible to tend to every single post and thread, but I attempt to give help and teach them how to help others.

Why I feel I'd be an effective VCL:
I have been active in the progress of the Casual forum and enjoy the strategy, discussion, and most of all the community of WotC. I haven't bought a Magic card in years, yet I am still here posting.

Experience in the area that I'm applying in:
I started Magic about halfway through Invasion. I've almost exclusively played casually with my friends. In 2005 I joined the forums and the vast majority of my posts were casual restricted. I've branched out to other sections and forums but still view the casual forum as my main interest.
The Casual forum has two stickies I've created which demonstrates about where my knowledge of the game stands.

List of games I play and experience with social networking sites:
If this is asking for games in the sense of videogames, I mostly play Madden. I do occasionally play starcraft and very rarely do I play rollercoaster tycoon. I've posted in a few different forums and have experience with networking sites such as xanga, myspace, facebook, etc.

actually, before zammm or whomever reads this. i'll be retracting. i don't think i'll be able to be reliable enough to count on

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

Contributions are welcomed!

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

Respectfully withdrawn, with apologies.