New Force Power: Youthful Vigor PEACH

I propose a new force power to account for such things as Yoda's incredible agility in battle, compared to his usual slow movement with a cane.

Youthful Vigor

You regain the vigor of youth for a short time
Time: Standard Action?
Target: You

Make a Use the Force check. Your physical attributes change as if you had grown younger, determined by your use the force check result. This remains in effect for the duration of the encounter.

DC 20: Your physical attributes change as if your age was one category younger. Venerable becomes Old, Old becomes Middle Aged, and Middle Aged becomes Adult. There is no regression to a younger age than Adult.

DC 25: Your physical attributes change as if your age was two categories younger. Venerable becomes Middle Aged, and Old or Middle Aged becomes Adult.

DC30: Your physical attributes change as if you were now Adult.

Special: After the encounter, you move one step down the condition track

Any thoughts?
If I remember correctly, Saga Edition doesn't have penalties for aging. Therefore, this Force power is mechanically useless, even though I like the concept. I believe the official explanation is that in battle Yoda uses the Force to augment his movement, so I would see things more like Lightsaber Forms, Battle Strike, and Surge as his powers for combat.
Oops, double post.
The Putrid Dork Fallacy: "Just because a rule is written one way doesn't mean it can't be interpreted in a completely different way." RUW - Rules Unclearly Written. For more information, see RAW and RAI.
If I remember correctly, Saga Edition doesn't have penalties for aging.

Sure it does. Just check out pg. 110 of the SECR, towards the bottom.
The Putrid Dork Fallacy: "Just because a rule is written one way doesn't mean it can't be interpreted in a completely different way." RUW - Rules Unclearly Written. For more information, see RAW and RAI.
Ah, my mistake. I had forgotten. I strongly dislike aging penalties in any game, though, especially one like Star Wars.
Love the concept but my suggestions are:

• Change the time to a Swift Action.
  • It only lasts for 1 round (see Dark Rage), i.e. until the beginning of your next turn.
  • Change the Special to: You may spend a Force Point to make the changes last until the end of the encounter. Damage taken while under the effects are removed from the hp gained from this power first.

Although this power would never result in attack/damage bonuses as good as Dark Rage, it can grant up to a +3 boost to the modifiers for Str, Dex, and Con. What does that mean? Well, +3 attack bonus to range and melee, +3 bonus to Reflex Defense and Fort Defense (and thereby Threshold as well), and at 20th level +60 hp. That is potentially a lot for a Force Power.
Love the concept but my suggestions are:

• Change the time to a Swift Action.
  • It only lasts for 1 round (see Dark Rage), i.e. until the beginning of your next turn.
  • Change the Special to: You may spend a Force Point to make the changes last until the end of the encounter. Damage taken while under the effects are removed from the hp gained from this power first.

Although this power would never result in attack/damage bonuses as good as Dark Rage, it can grant up to a +3 boost to the modifiers for Str, Dex, and Con. What does that mean? Well, +3 attack bonus to range and melee, +3 bonus to Reflex Defense and Fort Defense (and thereby Threshold as well), and at 20th level +60 hp. That is potentially a lot for a Force Power.

I agree that this is potentially a lot from a force power, but am not especially concerned with balance issues, since the character has LOST all of those abilities over time. The changes listed are not a bad idea, and the power is still quite useful, especially since the ones that need it the most likely have force point recovery in their arsenal.

(It might be necessary to change Palaptine and Yoda's stats, however, with this power added into the mix.)
Oh, and I also forgot up to +3 damage per attack as well depending on the weapon used. Actually, have you considered making this a Force Secret since mostly only older (and likely higher level) characters will have it?

And I would be a bit concerned with the balance still because although they once had those physical ability scores, they have also gained in the mental ones due to age as well.

Another varient might be that they make a DC 15 Use the Force check, for every 5 points that they make the check by, they get to add a temporary +1 force bonus to Str, Dex, and Con. This bonus cannot exceed the penalties due to the character's age. This way, a 15-19 is +1, 20-24 is +2, etc. Maybe, maybe not... just a thought.
Perhaps a Force Secret would be better than a Force Power. I hadn't thought of that for the simple reason that we've never had characters who were able to learn Force Secrets. But it would usually be only the ones that qualify for them that would need it, and they are supposed to be very powerful...
As a Force Secret you could write it up as:

Youthful Vigor
You may spend a Force Point to gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and each Defense for the encounter. You also gain 20 temporary hit points. Any damage taken is subtracted from these first. Alternatively, you may spend a Destiny Point to gain a +3 bonus and 60 hit points.
As a Force Secret you could write it up as:

Youthful Vigor
You may spend a Force Point to gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and each Defense for the encounter. You also gain 20 temporary hit points. Any damage taken is subtracted from these first. Alternatively, you may spend a Destiny Point to gain a +3 bonus and 60 hit points.

I can see that as a good force secret, but it's not what I'm looking for. This doesn't restore the vigor of youth, but gives everyone a boost. And youthful vigor also gives back the strength to lift a door, or the agility to pilot a ship like in the days of one's youth.
Oops, yeah I forgot to include the stuff about age adjustments serving as the maximum bonus. At any rate, I hope this gives you some good ideas.

Cheers,
-JG
Something like this is certainly needed. I'd house-ruled it as something any Force user could do with the Use the Force skill. The way I had it a force point was required and it erased the penalties of aging until the end of the encounter.

I don't really see it as a power, though. A force technique wouldn't be so bad, but I think making it a force secret is a bit much. A force talent would work as well, which would leave it available for all force users and not just those that went into Jedi, Sith, or Force Disciple classes.

I kind of like the idea of it dropping you a step on the condition track when it ends as well.

Kerbouchard
Sign In to post comments