Good Bye SSB;

Well you were well intended, but ruled poorly. And hence poorly recieved by a community of tactical minded players, that couldn't understand why i kill you but you can still kill me? To say the least. Your models were like any from WOTC, some bent, some twisted, some absoultly amazing, and others well, eh...

And while I have little to say good about you, I know my daughter and son enjoyed the game. My daughter more than my son. So I still play from time to time. And sure there are lots of cool ships in the SWU, but without good rules, they still wouldn't get used.

SO as this forum fades away with the reformating soon to come I say good bye to a game that had so much potontial, but fell so flat. Oh well nobodys perfect, maybe you'll do better WOTC in 5 when the recision has pushed through and you can just start anew;
with plenty oif leftovers to get you started.

By the way My daughter loved all the ssb stuff. She was like "look its han ship, I don't know this one buts cool, and ohh its grevious yeah!" So I wont complain about WOTC, who tried real hard, and gave real nicly, but too bad about a game thats only been put to shame.
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
A little Haiku

A Star wars spaceship Game!
Cool, i can't wait to play it!.
oh damn, these rules suck.

I've kept the figs and the cards because, well they are cool sculpts. I doubt i will ever play it again without a revamp of the rules though.
That makes me so sad. Such good lookin' models.

Maybe they can just repackage 'em and sell 'em to us rpgers!

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

Its heart breaking to see SSB discarded, but I cant say that its a surprise. I fondly remember coming to these forums for the first time and being blown away when I saw RogueKnights customs and dreaming of building my own. Its been a fun.

Is there any chance of bumping some of the more important threads over to the customs forums? I'm thinking of RogueKnights Customs & The Rogue Fleet project. Maybe the Printable Starship & Stats thread too? It would be a shame to see them lost.
Just so everyone knows. I took the time to make a list of threads I thought were important and asked that they be moved to the Customs forum along with requesting a link to them in the Important thread index. The following is a list of what I've asked to have saved/moved. If anyone can think of any others please let me know so I can try to have them added as well. (I didnt put my own customs thread on the list because I already have a thread on the customs forum that I have been slowly adding my SSB pics to anyway.)

momirfarooq's Cardboard Models
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=938281

Printable Starships & Stats
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=982255

RogueKnight's Customs
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1002682

The Rogue Fleet Project
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1029231

Guardian_A's SSB Scenareos
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=976238

TalonSpiritCat's Scenarios
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=988731
It will be sad, i've had a hell of a experience when it came to SSB, again like Guardian_A I was almost craving those ships when I seen Rogue Knights customs.

For everyone who doesn't know I'm creating a Battlefleet Gothic Modification for Starship Battles called Battlefleet Endor and that is in the link at the bottom of the post. I'll have to use the internet to display the new BFE ships.

A real let down the game was but the community around this game made it so worthwhile. Thanks all!
I still have many ships, and used them last during a Battle of Endor 3D Space/Ground Assault scenario. Sad to see the game go, but if I may make a flying pun, the ships never got off the ground in the first place...
Here is a link to the Orphans list I maintain: http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm Life-sized Tile Wars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAXn5ZwopPc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64M5_J1JHs Geoncon08: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srArBLLHYBQ
What a Shame...

Well, I'm re-doing my website, and maybe with this, I'll create a forum for SSB there, if anyone is interested. I'll work with Guardian_A to see what actions will best serve the SSB community.
My unofficial SSB Website 4-14-10 Uploaded the Base Pack of stat cards for Desperate Encounters. These cards are for the 60 stock SSB Models, making them compatible with DE. Coming Soon: DE: Reputations. Reputations in battle are earned, not given... An expansion pack containing stat cards for unique fighter squadrons, unique versions of stock SSB ships, and generic versions of unique SSB ships.
Not the SSB Ghetto. I wonder if all SSB topics will be confined to a single thread in the General forum.
Revamp for the sake of revamp? That always works out well.
It was SSB that first caught my attention. Table top battles with Star Wars spacecraft was always an appealing idea to me. I visited the WOTC website to check out the game and all that it offered. Very cool! I was itching to try the game out. I checked prices for boosters on eBay even. I was ready to purchase. But what's this...? It's another miniatures game that uses minis based on the SW characters! And there an online demo I can try out. ooOOOOo fun! I bought a Rebel Storm starter set. Then I bought boosters. Then I bought cases of boosters. Several thousand SW minis later...

Starship Battles? What's that?

Leif
Ok you naysayers, check out this thread. Specifically #219.

Unless you've heard differently, I haven't given up on you Wizards. Then again, I'm still waiting for Santa.:D
"Help me, Obi-Wizards you're my only hope..."
Ok you naysayers, check out this thread. Specifically #219.

Unless you've heard differently, I haven't given up on you Wizards. Then again, I'm still waiting for Santa.:D
"Help me, Obi-Wizards you're my only hope..."

Nay sayers my eye; straight from the horses mouth;
then they made a choice :

this is from a PM with Sarah the brand manager for SW

and the forum is going away as well http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1123213

A rules update hasn't happened yet and we've been crying for one since release almost 2 years ago now? It feels that long ago. So I'm not holding my breath.
And if the game does get a new breath of life it needs a solid rewrite for everything. Because the sculpts IMHO are fine, no different than the regular game
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
Nay sayers my eye; straight from the horses mouth;

A rules update hasn't happened yet and we've been crying for one since release almost 2 years ago now? It feels that long ago. So I'm not holding my breath.
And if the game does get a new breath of life it needs a solid rewrite for everything. Because the sculpts IMHO are fine, no different than the regular game

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. Your thread title says that ssb is going away not just the thread.

It sucks that the thread is going, but I'm not giving up on SSB itself.
DO YOU HEAR THAT WIZARDS???

I know, I know 2 years..., but it would only take a posting of new rules in pdf format (and a little bit of fiber) to start a movement.
Then the wiz could re-evaluate the desire for ssb some time after the posting and hopefully we have a new set in 2010.
well as long as the pieces are around the game will exist. But like the holiday special, it's being kindly and swiftly swept under the rug
The problem is the unwillingness on the part of WotC higher ups to commit more resources to the SW division, as has been demonstrated repeatedly over the last five years or so...
Well, I'd like to extend this offer to eveyrone :

If you have ideas, rules, customs or other contributions and would like them hosted on my website, e-mail me with the files, word docs, etc.

I'd be more than happy to host them, with your name attached. Also, I'd like to post your e-mail with your contributions in case anyone wants to ask any questions... My e-mail is [email]bvoetsch@gmail.com[/email]

If anyone wants to just keep in touch, I have a myspace profile. My nickname is Voelture, or just go here:
http://www.myspace.com/bvoetsch
My unofficial SSB Website 4-14-10 Uploaded the Base Pack of stat cards for Desperate Encounters. These cards are for the 60 stock SSB Models, making them compatible with DE. Coming Soon: DE: Reputations. Reputations in battle are earned, not given... An expansion pack containing stat cards for unique fighter squadrons, unique versions of stock SSB ships, and generic versions of unique SSB ships.
the forum will be staying, wotc had a change of heart after our discussion on the genreal board, the community board, and here in this thread as well. SO no need to fret ssbers. You still have a home
the forum will be staying, wotc had a change of heart after our discussion on the genreal board, the community board, and here in this thread as well. SO no need to fret ssbers. You still have a home

W00t!

Great news!
Maybe this means they will finally take the time to realize that there is an entire community here that is stil hopeing and dreaming of SOMETHING new for SSB? After all, both this thread and the one they had up on the general forum has an amazing ammount of activity when they announced they were going to drop this sub-forum. I'm under the impression wotc was surprised at the response.
that wouldn't suprise me. Sarah said theres no plans for support, but the idea of a redone rules for the existing set is being tossed around from what I've heard.
But again a rumor is all that is; so don't hold your breath, I'm not
What happened in regards to the almost disappearence was that I had over looked a line in the new orginizationial chart, The forum was never inentended to go away and I'm glad of the reaction for my over looking otherwise it owuld have been a very very big mistake.

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Yay! The Starship Battles forum stays, Woot! :D :D :D
:bounce:
I think DaisonDan was the first to notice it was missing, I saw his post, and started a thread to keep it, or at least get an explanation as to why it was gone. Turned out it was simply an oversight, so I was glad to see the VCLs fix it and make sure it stayed
team work Billiv15, its team work, its one of our communitys strengths
You are right, the thing I like best about our forum is that while we all disagree from time to time (ok alot) we can all come together for a good reason. It is like a family, we my all fight but we can still work together. I am more than happy that SSB is staying because when I quit the game I wanted to stay far away.
HOPEFULLY WotC will see that there are still supporters!

We'd love better rules, too! (nudge, hint, clue...)
Photobucket
I'd like to note that I just bought my first SSB minis set and love it (though I didn't get anything rarer than the sith infiltrator.... Atleast the Light/Darksides were balanced in what I got). To me, the rules are alot more simplified than dnd minis and the miniatures themselves aren't too bad either.

While I wont hold my breath for a new release, I hope there is one in the future. Something that might bring life into the game is a Yuuzhan Vong set.... Coral Skippers and E-Wings!

(Yeah, I might be delusional....)

At the very least, they can find SSB a good home with another company. There are some of us that prefer space battles to mass melee.
Check out some of the customs threads (Rogue Fleet in particular) There are instructions on how to make your own for both of those ships)
While I wont hold my breath for a new release, I hope there is one in the future. Something that might bring life into the game is a Yuuzhan Vong set.... Coral Skippers and E-Wings!.

Vong barly get any attention in the primary SWM game, I can't imagine them getting love in SSB, and if you want Vong go grab various stones from your lawn or drive way, some of them should work
Sign In to post comments