Essence of Life and Tactics Broker

My answer is no, as well, since you can't use Avoid Defeat to prevent the sacrificed character from dying off, either.
Patryn of Elvenshae Want a character sheet for your starship? Download! Discuss!
Another reason that you cannot use Essence of Life is that the character must be within 6 of the person with that Force Power. The Munn Tactics Broker removes the character from play, therefore taking it out of the range of the Power.

Sincerely,
Jester007
Another reason that you cannot use Essence of Life is that the character must be within 6 of the person with that Force Power. The Munn Tactics Broker removes the character from play, therefore taking it out of the range of the Power.

Um, no. I know that the "removed from play" precedent exists in some games, but it does not exist in SWM. This is clarified in the Glossary definition of Tactics Broker.

Tactics Broker: Once per round before initiative is determined, if this character is in your squad, choose one other character in your squad. Remove the chosen character from play (it counts as defeated) and choose an opponent. That opponent's initiative check result is automatically 1. If a tie requires rerolling initiative, this ability cannot be used again for tie-breaking.

@ headache

I know that the Tactics Broker's SA also defeats the chosen character, but when you remove it from play, it is no longer considered in play. The only SA that would matter is Self Destruct if you had characters that were adjacent. But for purposes of Essence of Life, how can you count range to someone who is no longer on the board?

Sincerely,
Jester007
@ headache

I know that the Tactics Broker's SA also defeats the chosen character, but when you remove it from play, it is no longer considered in play. The only SA that would matter is Self Destruct if you had characters that were adjacent. But for purposes of Essence of Life, how can you count range to someone who is no longer on the board?

Sincerely,
Jester007

Actually since Tactics Broker ability occurs before initiative and thus outside of the normal play, wouldn't that by definition prevent you from using special abilities that would allow you to save the character?
Actually since Tactics Broker ability occurs before initiative and thus outside of the normal play, wouldn't that by definition prevent you from using special abilities that would allow you to save the character?

No - if a Bothan Commando with Intution makes a move away from an adjacent character (outside of normal game play) you still get an AoO and they might die from it. And if you have Leia Hoth Commander, the Bothan gets to use her CE to save himself.
No - if a Bothan Commando with Intution makes a move away from an adjacent character (outside of normal game play) you still get an AoO and they might die from it. And if you have Leia Hoth Commander, the Bothan gets to use her CE to save himself.

Good point, I'll concede that one to you.

In that case I'm now in the boat of, why can't the sacrificed character use avoid defeat/essence of life (assuming he was within six squares of the essence of life character prior to using the ability)?
But for purposes of Essence of Life, how can you count range to someone who is no longer on the board?

That's why I'm very glad that EoL happens when a character would be defeated, not after it is removed. But Tactics Broker doesn't let you use an ability to save the target.
That's why I'm very glad that EoL happens when a character would be defeated, not after it is removed. But Tactics Broker doesn't let you use an ability to save the target.

Why not? There doesn't seem to be anything in the glossary from my reading the explicitly prohibits using special abilities or force powers from saving the target. Unless I'm missing something here, which is infinitely possible.
But for purposes of Essence of Life, how can you count range to someone who is no longer on the board?

Whoops: I just double checked the Glossary. The character is removed from play. However, range still does not have anything to do with it - rules precedent, however, does.

Q: When a character is removed from play, and counts as defeated, what happens with abilities like Avoid Defeat, or Self Destruct?

A: The character is removed from play, so it cannot take advantage of any effect that would prevent it from being defeated, however, other effects that trigger when a character is defeated, like Self-Destruct, would still occur.

Whoops: I just double checked the Glossary. The character is removed from play. However, range still does not have anything to do with it - rules precedent, however, does.

Ok grant it you quoted from the FAQ and we can't dispute that at this point. However, it's still confusing because the tactics broker special ability says "Remove that character from play, that character is defeated." Well if the character is defeated (as defined in the special ability) shouldn't other special abilities that pertain to defeated characters be in play?

Now this is of course questioning the FAQ, not your interpretations of it. It just seems like the FAQ is contradicting what is on the card and I thought that only happened with errata, not an FAQ.
Well if the character is defeated (as defined in the special ability) shouldn't other special abilities that pertain to defeated characters be in play?

Abilities that pertain to being defeated still activate; ex: Self Destruct. But since it is "removed from play (counts as being defeated)" and not actually defeated, abilities that prevent the defeat cannot be used.
Yeah, I think the phrasing here is very important. Although it "counts as defeated" it isn't actually defeated (and therefore not subject to EoL).

In a way, it's comparable to various activating effects and, say, Force Renewal. FR goes into effect when a character activates, and Force Stun makes the character "count as activated"... but since there's no ACTUAL activation, there's no Renewal.

Same thing here. The piece is not really defeated, so can't benefit from special abilities that would counter defeat.
This ruling has history with at least both Princess Leia, Hoth Commander and Exar Kun.
Same thing here. The piece is not really defeated, so can't benefit from special abilities that would counter defeat.

However, it does trigger defeated-abilities (Self Destruct, for example).
Think of "removed from play" as "super-defeat". You are both defeated and incapable of preventing that defeat and the character being taking out of play by any method. That's how it's designed to work.
Sign In to post comments