geeks, nerds, and SWM

this thread was started several months ago in the DDM part of the forum. do u think theres a connection?Do people prejudice you cuz you play SWM?put your opinions down...
Of course. You do ANYTHING and it will garner prejudice from somebody. Don't even get me started on the prejudices based on me joining a fraternity ;). But then again, it only becomes a problem if you see it as a bad thing. I'm perfectly fine with being a nerd.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Well I dunno, perhaps sort of. I'm a Senior in highschool right now and I played football and was in Track and Field the four years so people who don't really know me would never guess I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan, let alone a SWM collector / Player. My closer friends who know my Star Wars obsession don't really think any different of me, except maybe my girlfriend who thinks it's weird that I collect "little toy men" as she said...............
I don't know how it is these days, but in the early 80's when I was in HS the "nerds" caught quite a bit of flak just for being nerds. didn't bother me then, and I don't care what is thought of me now. to rip off a phrase from the gay movement, we're here, we're nerds, get used to it.
call me what you want, in the end of the day I'm still having fun rolling dice.
I don't know how it is these days...

These days it seems like there are two types of "nerds." The first type being that of your normal nerd who is super geeky and girls think they have cooties and they are just a little weird. Then there is the other type of nerd (which I happen to fall under) this new breed doesn't seem too nerdy (as they are athletes, playing football, b-ball, track, etc..) however they still love their Star Wars and love playing with little plastic painted people and rolling dice :D At least that is how it is at my school..
Well, where I am there are "geeks" who are your old school nerds, ie scared of girls etc and all other stereotypes.
Then there's the nu-school "nerds" who are just ordinary guys/gals who like to collect minis/game etc.

I fall into the latter, I think.
You know "nerdy" became "acceptable" when they made the Spiderman movies.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

NO,
Here's why:
IMAGE(http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc207/The_Madman319/WinnersDanSAaronBBryanM.jpg)
Me in the middle :evillaugh
the guy on my right, is a black belt
the guy on my left is Lobostele (he's 10x smarter than you;) )
Trades: http://www.bloomilk.com/collection/viewtrades.aspx?id=221 I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
My closer friends who know my Star Wars obsession don't really think any different of me, except maybe my girlfriend who thinks it's weird that I collect "little toy men" as she said...............

remember, you could always collect little toy women...

im comfortable with it. my wife likes to play, my friends like to play. we sit around the table and do star wars-y talk. and then the [i]other[i] guy comes in and says "whos that green guy?" (pointing to greedo) or "whats a ysalmiri"... and we just kinda look at him. we were at a party once, and we all had to say something about ourselves, he said he was a big star wars nerd. and i laughed. nerds unite :P
I'm the only person whose a big star wars fan in junior high at my school. Some of my friends watch star Wars, but i'm the only Plasticrack addict. Everyone knows i'm sort of a star wars geek, but I'm am pretty well respected(known as the smart kid, but there are smarter). As said above, there is a new breed of nerd that do everything a steriotypical nerd does, but that is offset with something mainstream society respects/honours
Does playing SWM make you a geek? Sure it does.
Is being a geek a bad thing? No.
The whole media view of what geeks are (eg. comic book guy in The Simpsons) is so way off. No one I know, who I would call a geek, fits into the generic geek mold.

Those 'non-geeks' that know me now know better than to try any cheap-jokes at the expense of my interests, be it Star Wars, Doctor Who, RPGs... whatever. Because if they do I will regale them with tale after tale and go on and on and on and on that they never broach the subject ever again :D
As I remember, this kind of forum got immensly popular in ddm.
i agree, how theres two kinds of geeks.
I would happen to fall into the non-generic ones. I'm very smart, but I ain't afraid of girls. Some people know I like SWM.My friends talk a lot about rainbow six vegas 2 and call of duty 4, so some ppl think were weird for talkin about video games. but I just laugh, cuz those ppl that make fun of us are the ones getting straight F's and get in trouble every day.
I am the new kind of geek. Who cares, not me!:D
(forgot to say, im in 7th grade) in case anyone gets confused.
The great thing about SWM and general geekery is there is always something worse. IE I can say with pride... at least I don't play Pokemon and I am sure those guys say at least I don't play yugioh and those guys say at least I don't play... well, is there anything worse then playing yugioh?
I'm a nerd and blast it, I'm damn proud.

Do people talk about me behind my back? Yes. Do people mock me? Yes. Do people underplay my intelligence in things not pertaining to Star Wars? Yes. Do I love every minute of it? Yes. Would I have it any other way? Heck no.

See, there are only two real "nerds" at my school. Myself, and one of my friends. He's more of a stereotypical nerd, while I'm the unstereotypical nerd. Yes, I did a Monty Pthon sketch at a school talent show, and sure I like star Wars Miniatures, but I'm apparently "the coolest nerd you'll ever meet", according to a girl in my French class. I also think I'm accepting because the school made an award named after me.

But social acceptance or not, I have been and always be an inherant loner, a social reject and the abnormal kid. Not being interested in girls, hating parties, etcetera etcetera. In TV shows you see the nerds trying to get into the party but being kicked out, or staring about the girl and saying something like, "She's the Leia to my Han."

No, that's not me. I get invited to the parties and don't go, and I ignore the girls. If I were anything but a nerd, a geek, a Sci-Fi fan, I'd go stir crazy. Those people don't know what they're missing out on. I find it sad whenever someone is embarrased at the possibility of nerd status, or is a nerd and is ashamed of it, or ties to convince other people they AREN'T one. Let's face it, people: anyone who spends their free time posting on a MESSAGE BOARD about STAR WARS PLASTIC FIGURES in a STRATEGY-BASED BOARD GAME with a TWENTY-SIDED DICE is a nerd, true and blue. Don't say you're anything otherwise, or try to defend it in any other way.

So... I'm not sure what I'm trying to say with all this simply allow me to say that he who mocks me for reading the Magic books then expects me to be naive and think they're serious, she who calls me a nerd/loser and laughs with her friends, he who calls me "gay" or a "loser", she who shouts I'm playing with Pokemon (re: Magic) cards and runs around shouting it, they who view me in contempt for being the geeky kid with glasses and a Boba Fett T-shirt, I can only say two words: thank you. Thank you for remdinding me I'm a nerd and fit in with the best archetype ever. Thank you for making a fool of yourself by ridiculing the greatest fictitious universe ever. Thank you for hating me just because. It means I'm doing my job right, and it means I don't have to worry about being a mindless idiot who swears for no reason, shouts "*****" (not the female dog) at the end of every lunch, the one who will drop out of school and get a job at Exxon. Thank you for reassuring me I still know the definition of "parry".

By George, thank you for telling me what I already know I am. You might think it's a bad thing, but it isn't. In fact, I'm proud I'm a nerd, so every time you're insulting me, you're complimenting me. Go figure. If you really wanted to insult me, you'd call me "jock" or "ladies man" or "dawg" or something else like that -- when that happens, I'll know something's up. And rush to the nearest library. And checkout a book on Quantum Physics. And maybe Presidential History, just to be on the safe side.

The great thing about SWM and general geekery is there is always something worse. IE I can say with pride... at least I don't play Pokemon and I am sure those guys say at least I don't play yugioh and those guys say at least I don't play... well, is there anything worse then playing yugioh?

Yu-Gi-Oh! > Pokemon, and Pokemon > Runescape.
And all of the Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catwomen... or whatever that game was, lol

Well I dont know where I fall geek or nerd or whatever... I mean I played high football, baseball and basketball...

I played college football and baseball

I also loved star wars and never cared who knew and never suffered grief for any of this.

Now, Dvader831 says it is because I am 6'2" and around 250 lbs and a retired law enforcement officer

But I think that is you are tough enough to be yourself who cares what other think anyways.

By the way I still love Star Wars and I now I have graduated to golf (hell I have even shot sub 80 several times)
team revan Collection: 801/801 SWM DCI Content Manager sith holonews network
As I remember, this kind of forum got immensly popular in ddm.
i agree, how theres two kinds of geeks.
I would happen to fall into the non-generic ones. I'm very smart, but I ain't afraid of girls. Some people know I like SWM.My friends talk a lot about rainbow six vegas 2 and call of duty 4, so some ppl think were weird for talkin about video games. but I just laugh, cuz those ppl that make fun of us are the ones getting straight F's and get in trouble every day.
I am the new kind of geek. Who cares, not me!:D
(forgot to say, im in 7th grade) in case anyone gets confused.

Right on brother. I completely relate to you, (albeit being a grade above), and I have fun with SWM, outside of SWM. Me and (matthewvosthemaster) will call up one of our girls and just talk SWM back and forth to each other while they laugh awkwardly. We (me and baldurmaster) invited a girl to a local comic book shop. For Pete's sake, she said it was a game for "smart people" and she would never be able to understand all the rules.

Rock on and Party on SWM.
Never die.

Please.
I'm the stereotypical nerd as far as girls go, but I'm relatively accepted. It isn't my fault girls have all those cooties :P
During highschool I fell into the "nerdy" crowd, I didn't mind, I figured it was better than being the guy who looked as if he would go postal on people. I'm sure I've been called a nerd/loser/geek but as long as I have fun with me gaming hobies I really don't care what others think.
Nerd and proud of it.

I was the social outcast in my class as well. Always picked on made fun of, was not always the sharpest pencil in the drawer. Always hated to go to school becasue no one liked me. But finally I was out of high school and did not have to deal with the social classes and went to collage, meet a wonderful women who accepts me for me and even bought me a FX lightsaber for Christmas :D and a Nintendo DS for my birthday :D and we are planning to move out.

I found Star War miniatures and people still don't like me (Madman I am looking at you ;) )but I have fun, laugh, and I am a decent player too.

I have star wars figures hanging on my wall, transformers on a bookshelf, a toy lighsaber right by my bed along with a sword. I have a few swords hanging on my wall as well. Hell I even live with my mother still on the 3rd floor . My sister in law gets mad at me becasue I like to play games and have fun and everything. And I tell her
"I may have to grow old but don't have to grow up" Why stress out about everything and worry. I am sorry I will have my fun so I don't become as uptite as her.

It does seem like Nerds are coming back in full force. Come on look at The Big Bang Theory. That show is awesome and I am sure a lot of people here understand a lot of the jokes they do that relate to comic books and everything and think it would be cool for someone around the world to control your lights :D
Have you ever seen the tv show "freaks and geeks"? The show portrays two main social groups and shows how they relate to each other and to other social groups in high school. The two main groups are the freaks(the guys in jean jackets and "The Who" t-shirts, smoking cigarettes just off school property) and the geeks. It's an amazing show.

I started playing d&d at age 8 in 1980. But the crowd I played with was half geek and half freak. I had my heavy metal t-shirt and monster manual both. There was always a mix of people. However, being a geek was definitely looked down on.

now I'm 35 and it seems like there's less of a big deal about being a nerd or anything else. It seems to me that there's no prejudice about these things as you get older. In fact, once you're out of high school there's more room to be yourself and be accepted.

Having said all that there are times when I feel a little embarrassed that I play a game where you get previews from a site called "kids world." Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself
But I think that is you are tough enough to be yourself who cares what other think anyways.

Amen, Dean.

I flaunt my nerdiness in school. I do it because I'm comfortable with being myself and I think it does kids a lot of good to see that you can be a nerd, be proud of it, and still be socially accepted. One of the biggest tools I have in being a teacher is being honest with students in all facets of how I interact with them. Them seeing a confident nerd who isn't ashamed is important, IMO.
I think the big problem is the fine line between "geek" and "nerd". As a commercial puts it, geeks get it done, and nerds don't. I like to think of myself as a geek, not a nerd. Nerd is a derogatory term, while geek is neutral.
All being a geek indicates is you have intrests a lot of other people don't understand, or care to understand. Anyone from Star Wars, to Star Trek, to D&D, to Doctor Who can be a geek. And you can be a geek that simply like to fool around with computers.
Being a nerd means that you can't relate to the people around you unless they have a caste-rating and a 20D in their pocket.

These are my defenitions. This ain't Webster's, people, bear with me.
The line between geek and nerd isn't known in my school but I still go by the term geek. If anyone says god you're so nerdy or something along those lines all I say is "What's wrong with enjoying something I love? I could say the same thing about basketball or track."
The biggest issue with geeks/nerds in a social environment has always been, and always will be, the complete in ability of some to interact with others in a normal way. I've always been a nerd, but I've also always loved the outdoors and sports. I think differently from 99% of people (including my fellow nerds), but I can still interact just fine. Take a look at my school, though (Colorado School of Mines, chock full of stereotypes), and you begin to understand. The "nerd" stereotype exists for a reason, just like every other stereotype. If it bothers you at all, you can always try to change it. It's not like the world would suffer from a little less prejudice or anything ;).

The office where I work everyone knows I am a Star Wars nerd. They don't care. In fact, one of the ladies there came and asked me about where's the best place to get SW toys for her nephew, and if I thought the game was something he would enjoy. I gave her a RS rulebook and a handful of figs (mostly commons and the Vader and Obi from the new starter) as well as an old map I never use so he could try it out.

Everyone has different hobbies and interests and I think most people respect that.

Where the problem lies is the "stigma" that has been created by the socially inept people who seem to gravitate toward this hobby.

SWM has managed to avoid the majority of that, fortunately.

No offense meant to anyone here, of course.
Nerd is a derogatory term, while geek is neutral.

They're both "porridge" words. They both can mean different things in different situations. I consider both to be about equal and neutral. You disagree and thats fine. I mean, if we went by the LITERAL DEFINITIONS:

geek Slang.
–noun 1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
2. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

dictionary.com defines geek as offensive when used by an outsider, but you see it as neutral. Also, definition 3 is the ORIGINAL definition of geek. :P

My point is that these are personal interpretations and neither has to be negative if you don't live your life as seeing them as such.

Are you sure "geek" isn't the more derogatory term? ;) :P :D
I stand corrected. See what happens when an 18 year old tries to match wits with a teacher? Let this be a lesson to everone. :wink:

But, you're right. Both can be either. I mean, if they couldn't mean something they weren't supposed to, it wouldn't be part of English, would it? Still, I saw a t-shirt in Wal-Mart with NERD in big red leters on it, and I haven't seen a GEEK shirt, so maybe it's not a self-identification, but an outsider's identification.
I stand corrected. See what happens when an 18 year old tries to match wits with a teacher? Let this be a lesson to everone. :wink:

You aren't corrected. Your opinion is completely valid. I just wanted to point out another point of view. ;) I could lay out the famous OB1 quote about point of view, but it would just be cliched...;)

But, you're right. Both can be either. I mean, if they couldn't mean something they weren't supposed to, it wouldn't be part of English, would it? Still, I saw a t-shirt in Wal-Mart with NERD in big red leters on it, and I haven't seen a GEEK shirt, so maybe it's not a self-identification, but an outsider's identification.

And my opinion is that confident people shouldn't CARE about outsider's opinions. Someone comes up to you and says:

"You are such a nerd!"

There are a few ways that you can respond. You can enable them and say:

"Shut up! I am not! Stop hurting my feelings!"

or, you can express your own confidence and say:

"Heck yes I am! Thanks for noticing!" :D

I was an awkward not confident student in high school and it took going into a career that I knew I would enjoy to break me out of my shell. Different nerds/geeks are broken out of their shell in different ways. SELF CONFIDENCE is what makes people immune to being labelled, no matter what the label is.
I don't think of myself as a nerd or a geek, or a jock for that matter. I just think of myself as a man (with 2 kids) that has a wide varitey of interests. Granted my entertainment tends to revovle around Robots ray guns rocket ships and slimy creatures, but I have so many other things too.

Nerd and geek are so descript in our culture that when someone mentions nerd, I think cant help but think "Urkle" like. When someone says geek, similiar things come to mind, added with wallflower, and other more antisocial behavior.

S1AL doesn't seem at all like a nerd or geek in my point of view. He accepts how he is, and I speak of him because hes posted here, and I know him personnally. But he is right sterotypes exsit for a reason, because in many cases they are true. My father was when younger a living example of this. (he's a grandpa know and no longer does "nerd" like things)

Yet I can't help but think, how many of the so called "cool people" or the "in crowd" do the exact same type of things. Myspace pages, and online dating, and chat rooms like this one. How much time do they spend with their friends, what are they doing? What seperates a scrabble player from a SWM player. Only the content, but if you have as many scrabble dictionarys as I have SWM pieces their really is no diffrence. ( i used scrabble illustratively, it could be replaced by any other type of game, video, board, collectable, card, or paper and pencil)

In the end its friends gettin togther and havin' some fun. Like the D&D ad in the comics "get together, roll some dice"
"At least you'll know if the blue elf chick is a 240 pound dude"
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
I would say people that play SWM aren't necessarily nerds. I'm not a nerd. At all. Sure, I play this, chess, and skipped a grade, but I lettered in Varsity my freshmen year in soccer, being a year younger than even the freshmen. I have social skills. I started shaving in sixth grade.

To the prejudice, I'm afraid of being subjected to it, because the prejudice, in my opinion is well earned. A lot of weird people are playing this game, and I don't want to be associated with many of them. So, when I'm not playing, I distance myself from it. I have plenty of other things to do, but I like strar wars, and I like strategy games.
Ladies and gentlemen; playing Harry Potter trading cards makes you a nerd. SWM does not. Everyone out there calling you a nerd is just jealous that they don't have a cool as hobby as you do.

Lol a kid at my school called me a nerd for having "Halo 3" screenshots on my iPod. WTF?

SWM...

Rules!
I've never been called a nerd or geek, those statements are typically self-induced. However, I am called a dork all of the time because of my speach mannerisms and general ability to be partially verbose but still make sense till the time of which I can no longer hold my breath and have to end the sentence. :P
I've been called a nerd, but only jokingly by my mates because they're there just copying my maths work
The thing that amazed me (and always has) is inter-nerd unacceptance.

I'm one of those "new-nerds" or whatever you want to call it. I'm active, athletic and (usually) pysically fit. I don't have problems with the ladies. If I didn't want to be single, I didn't have to be, but I spent a lot of time single because something pretty isn't always something worthwhile and my available pool always seemed to be gorgeous and vapid. Most importantly, I knew when to talk about my interests and when not to and I also picked up on the social cues that most "nerds" miss.

But I've had some really bad experiences being nastied up by NERDS!

I dunno if they thought I was a "jock" or what. I'd be hanging out with some of my "more nerdy" friends and I'd meet another friend of theirs while gaming or something and get totally blindsided by massive ridicule by some "uber nerd" I'd known only momentarily.

Anyone else? Or is it just me?

And, it seems like nerds fight amongst themselves a lot.

The Magic guys at one of the LGSs were way nasty to anyone who played other games.

The 40K guys scare me, too. Not that I'm afraid of them. Well, wait. Maybe I am. But not in a "their gonna hurt me" way. More like a "yeesh!" way. They're just a little intense sometimes. No offense to you 40K players. You may know what I'm talkin' about, huh?

The funny thing is, I have a really good friend who plays Magic and another who plays 40K and they totally agree with why I'm uncomfortable with those guys.

But I'm seeing some of this "inter-nerd" fighting going on here. Is it inevitable human nature or the bullied becoming the bully?
I can remember back when a nerd was someone who was bookish and a geek was the socially awkward scary-smart person with poor hygene. It was only when "Revenge of the Nerds" came out that the two were reversed. But I always twinge when someone calls me a geek.

I definitely qualify for the title (which ever one is currently in vougue) because I work with computers, and most of my mad-money is spent on SWM, replica blasters and RPG books and comics.

I can also remember back to jumping both feet first into Star Wars fan-dom, and getting grief at school because of it. And, ultimately, the people who gave me the grief were people who were not going to be my friends anyway.
But I'm seeing some of this "inter-nerd" fighting going on here. Is it inevitable human nature or the bullied becoming the bully?

I don't think that is so much "inter-nerd" as it is "inter-personal."

I've seen some really fired up jocks and sports fans get argumentative over silly stuff about sports (should so and so be fired/traded/sent back to the minors etc.) As I said earlier, the difference is that socially inept people tend to gravitate toward the gaming hobby, and I think part of that is because of its nature. It's more thinking and mental strategy, and for whatever reason nature intended, many of the people with that ability lack physical attributes that promote self-confidence in our society.

No one gets excited or holds a pep rally for the weekend chess tournament. :P
The thing that amazed me (and always has) is inter-nerd unacceptance.

I'm one of those "new-nerds" or whatever you want to call it. I'm active, athletic and (usually) pysically fit. I don't have problems with the ladies. If I didn't want to be single, I didn't have to be, but I spent a lot of time single because something pretty isn't always something worthwhile and my available pool always seemed to be gorgeous and vapid. Most importantly, I knew when to talk about my interests and when not to and I also picked up on the social cues that most "nerds" miss.

But I've had some really bad experiences being nastied up by NERDS!

I dunno if they thought I was a "jock" or what. I'd be hanging out with some of my "more nerdy" friends and I'd meet another friend of theirs while gaming or something and get totally blindsided by massive ridicule by some "uber nerd" I'd known only momentarily.

Anyone else? Or is it just me?

And, it seems like nerds fight amongst themselves a lot.

The Magic guys at one of the LGSs were way nasty to anyone who played other games.

The 40K guys scare me, too. Not that I'm afraid of them. Well, wait. Maybe I am. But not in a "their gonna hurt me" way. More like a "yeesh!" way. They're just a little intense sometimes. No offense to you 40K players. You may know what I'm talkin' about, huh?

The funny thing is, I have a really good friend who plays Magic and another who plays 40K and they totally agree with why I'm uncomfortable with those guys.

My sentiments exactly. Nerds are very jealous of me. Some of the ones I know actually don't have any life at all, I don't think. This is the sad case.

Now I'll go back to my WoW game j/k .
I can really appreciate what Klecser is saying.
I wonder if a useful definition of maturity is "not being highly concerned about what other people think of you."

Am I a "nerd" or "geek"?
Well, I am happily married to a beautiful woman, I have 3 kids (a 4th on the way), I play competitive soccer (and coach too), I have a brown belt in traditional Okinawan karate, I am a pastor who is well-loved by his congregation...and I enjoy strategy games, with SWM being my favorite by far.

If that last thing makes me a nerd, then that's fine. I'm not highly concerned about it.

The problem with stereotypes is that they tend to ignore vast portions of people's lives. A "jock" is a person who's crazy about sports...but what if he's also an excellent artist? What if a certain "computer geek" is also the richest man in the world and is doing a great deal of work to help reduce poverty around the world? I believe that every single person is more valuable than the label that is applied to him or her.