[ALTERNATE STANDARD] Every_Day is our Champion!

405 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome all to the first ever Alt-Standard tournament of the official WotC forums. Alternate Standard is the name of a new format where we take three blocks (or two blocks and a core set, like standard) and we build decks legal in those blocks! For example, Kami-Rav 9th or one that hasn't existed like Urza-Alara-8th!

The sets legal for this tournament will be:

Invasion, Planeshift, Apocalypse
Ravnica, Guildpact, Dissension
Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight

A few things you may need to know

1.) The format will be single-elim, and I will take the first 16 people that sign up.
2.) Cards that were banned in their respective standards are also banned in alternate standard.
3.) Games will be played via Magic Workstation
4.) I'll post the bracket as soon as we get 16 people, and you will have a week to finish your matches. If I don't have a winner within that time, I'll choose one by coinflip.

So you have about a week to prepare your decks, brush up on your Magic History and find new card combinations, synergies and decks that have never existed before on a competitive level. Good luck!

1. avenged_sixfold
2. iamajellydonut
3. Right_Seid
4. Giras
5. Sisomic
6. LegendofLink
7. CageofPanacakes
8. evilweevil666
9. VeJi
10. shotgunpriest
11. DuoShin85
12. Mkmkmk
13. Every_Day
14. Iamsparticus05
15. Greg_the_Egg
16. TheHouseJackBuilt

If you have any suggestions for a future standard format, please post them.

Round 1 Pairings

avenged_sixfold v. LegendofLink
CageofPanacakes v. GregtheEgg
Iamsparticus05 v. TheHouseJackBuilt
Mkmkmk v. VeJi

Every_Day v. DuoShin85
Right_Seid v. Giras
evilweevil666 v. Iamajellydonut
shotgunpriest v. Sisomic

Round 2 Pairings

Every_Day v. Right_Seid
imajellydonut v. Sisomic
TheHouseJackBuilt v. VeJi
Greg_the_Egg v. avenged_sixfold
I currently have limited access to my comp, but I'll be in if you'll have me. I should be free within a week. I'll understand if you don't let me in.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
i am so in :D
Sure you're in Jelly.
I want in, though I need to figure out what to play.
Sure you're in Jelly.

<--Imagine it's really, really big.

I'll let you know ahead of time if I'm out rather than waiting till round1 is halfway through.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
<--Imagine it's really, really big.

I'll let you know ahead of time if I'm out rather than waiting till round1 is halfway through.

I appreciate it.
I like building decks that where never considered. In!
I'm in, I haven't seen anything that could really stoke my creativity in a long time. This seems like a great idea.
Photobucket
I am in :D
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
Grr... I want to do this, but I *really* don't have time to work on another deck. There's already one I'm trying to make and it's driving me nuts as-is.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Grr... I want to do this, but I *really* don't have time to work on another deck. There's already one I'm trying to make and it's driving me nuts as-is.

Would it by chance be the one deck?
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.

Just netdeck a TSP Block Constructed list and throw in some Ravnica lands.
Just netdeck a TSP Block Constructed list and throw in some Ravnica lands.

Well with this format I am able to go back to an older format I like. Thank you avenged for hosting this.
Well with this format I am able to go back to an older format I like. Thank you avenged for hosting this.

It's no problem.

Single-Elims are very easy to run.
Dammit avenged, I was browsing the extended forums for this because that's where you originally posted the idea. Alright, I'm so in.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
I would like to join
I would like to join also!
edit: I have 2 instant messengers and MWS - does this make me eligible to join? :D
1,000 Posts - February 4th, 2009 2,000 Posts - April 14th, 2009 3,000 Posts - June 21st, 2009 4,000 Posts - August 27, 2009 You Make the Flavor! I speak my mind and I'm blunt. Don't take offense to my posts if they seem rude :/ my ref list I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I would love to do this if I had MWS. Good idea, Sixfold.
They say that life's a carousel, spinning fast you've got to ride it well, the world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's heaven and hell, oh well!
I'm down if you'll have me.
5 more spots left.
Would it by chance be the one deck?

YES. I feel rather crappy, too, since I promised you I'd have something psuedo-ready ages ago.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
YES. I feel rather crappy, too, since I promised you I'd have something psuedo-ready ages ago.

Do you want in, Cyklown?

I just want a rough draft! Something we can mull over!
Are we going to have time to build and test our deck first? Like a week or so. I'm not sure how I feel about going blindly into this kind of environment without some preparation. I vote that a week is good enough.
Sign me up!! This thing sounds awesome!
In.

I've been Jonesing to charge a Dreadship Reef.

Edit: Three blocks seems a bit much though.
Are we going to have time to build and test our deck first? Like a week or so. I'm not sure how I feel about going blindly into this kind of environment without some preparation. I vote that a week is good enough.

I don't know about a week, but I can certainly give a couple of days. You will have time to build your deck after I post the bracket but before I the first round ends as well. It really shouldn't be that daunting, just gatherer the cards and dive right in - it doesn't have to be especially good.

This is where true deckbuilders will shine.
This is a very good idea, sir. Props to you, Avenged. I'm not real versed in the previous blocks of magic (pre-Alara), and i think this would be a great way for me to learn a bit about them. Care if i join in the fun?
I despise the new "Everyone create a magic blog" bandwagon. For more information: Click Here! I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I just want a rough draft! Something we can mull over!

Would you beleive me if I promised to get you that decklist tonight? It'll still be rough, but I just want something that doesn't scream "you should know better than to xxx!" at me.
76783093 wrote:
This is a very good idea, sir. Props to you, Avenged. I'm not real versed in the previous blocks of magic (pre-Alara), and i think this would be a great way for me to learn a bit about them. Care if i join in the fun?

Absolutely.
I don't know about a week, but I can certainly give a couple of days. You will have time to build your deck after I post the bracket but before I the first round ends as well. It really shouldn't be that daunting, just gatherer the cards and dive right in - it doesn't have to be especially good.

This is where true deckbuilders will shine.

That sounds good. I'm learning the cards right now on gatherer. Invasion is the one that I don't have any experience with.

I have a few more questions (about specifics):
  • By TS do you also mean TS Timeshifted?
  • Not that I don't trust everyone, but how are we going to check for cheating? Honor system? I know most of the people won't cheat.
  • 2/3 matches or 3/5 matches? Normally, I like to keep it short, but when am I ever going to play this deck again? I say we do 3/5 matches for added fun.
I'll play, but only because of the promises of Jitte / Sword.
Umm, so I don't really frequent these forums any more, but I do blog for my website Greatplay.net.

There's no Jitte or Sword?

One more spot.
In please? If there's still room.

...what? That's not in here...
1,000 Posts - February 4th, 2009 2,000 Posts - April 14th, 2009 3,000 Posts - June 21st, 2009 4,000 Posts - August 27, 2009 You Make the Flavor! I speak my mind and I'm blunt. Don't take offense to my posts if they seem rude :/ my ref list I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
one question: Being that i haven't played in any of these blocks...i need to know a list of cards that were banned in their respective blocks lol. Anywhere i can find that? i don't really want to be playing banned cards =\
I despise the new "Everyone create a magic blog" bandwagon. For more information: Click Here! I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
one question: Being that i haven't played in any of these blocks...i need to know a list of cards that were banned in their respective blocks lol. Anywhere i can find that? i don't really want to be playing banned cards =\

None were.
Meh, I can play Sword at least.
Umm, so I don't really frequent these forums any more, but I do blog for my website Greatplay.net.
Meh, I can play Sword at least.

Except you can't, but ok...
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?edit=1&tid=313619&tclass=

Here is the bracket, tell me if it works.